Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Science (vs) Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is the more valid method in acquiring knowledge? Science or Magic?
  Science
  Magic
  Both
  Other
View Results

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Couple of them actually.

Chin up, eventually it'll all be over.

That's comforting in a morbid sort of way. rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:14 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Couple of them actually.

Chin up, eventually it'll all be over.

That's comforting in a morbid sort of way. rofl

xp I don't like to lie, so that's the best I can do for people when life sucks. Here's to you and better days -finishes glass of wine-

On topic: One really cool thing, is that (as we all know) often times what used to be considered magic turns out to have a scientific explanation after all. I look forward to interesting new discoveries like that.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 pm
SCIENCE! WHAT HATH IT DONE?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm
Taigamma

Science has done a fantastic job of figuring out the hows while having simultaneously made no progress figuring out the whys.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm
Obscurus
Taigamma

Science has done a fantastic job of figuring out the hows while having simultaneously made no progress figuring out the whys.
I absolutely agree. Then again, science is merely the universe's way of easing us into the big picture. If we get the hows out the way, the whys should just fill in the holes. I think it might be easier to accept something if you see how it works before why it has to work. Especially since one would give the other an excuse to exist and by that time you'd be already used to it just being there.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 pm
Taigamma
Obscurus
Taigamma

I absolutely agree. Then again, science is merely the universe's way of easing us into the big picture. If we get the hows out the way, the whys should just fill in the holes. I think it might be easier to accept something if you see how it works before why it has to work. Especially since one would give the other an excuse to exist and by that time you'd be already used to it just being there.

I think that all of the knowledge of the universe won't sate our appetite until we figure out the big questions: Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? Etc.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 pm
Obscurus
Taigamma

Why does there always have to be a why? Can't something just exist?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:02 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Taigamma

From stance of everything being the result of a causal chain (science) there has to be a why. Why did the universe come into existence? Why did we develop out of that universe?

Those are the big questions that science hasn't even come close to touching. They're important because they seem to be the goal of our curiosity. What good are the hows if we have no whys to validate them? Do we just play with our discovered toys or do we try to figure out why they're here?

Taking the stance of something just existing has its virtues but it stifles discovery.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:24 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Taigamma

From stance of everything being the result of a causal chain (science) there has to be a why. Why did the universe come into existence? Why did we develop out of that universe?

Those are the big questions that science hasn't even come close to touching. They're important because they seem to be the goal of our curiosity. What good are the hows if we have no whys to validate them? Do we just play with our discovered toys or do we try to figure out why they're here?

Taking the stance of something just existing has its virtues but it stifles discovery.

I think in the case of the universe existing, the how could count as the why. Life doesn't necessarily have to have a reason for being to have meaning. A reason might help when times are tough, but only so much. Still, searching for one is cool if that's your thing. I'm certainly curious, but I could either way on the subject, to be honest.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:26 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Taigamma

I think in the case of the universe existing, the how could count as the why. Life doesn't necessarily have to have a reason for being to have meaning. A reason might help when times are tough, but only so much. Still, searching for one is cool if that's your thing. I'm certainly curious, but I could either way on the subject, to be honest.

I think that part of finding the why is finding out if there even is a why.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:37 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Taigamma

And that's where we start going crazy, because if you never find a why, you could always argue that there might be one out there. Unless you actually find one, you may never definitively be able to say if there is or isn't one. Then we get into, just because we can't disprove it, doesn't mean it exists. Aand back to right, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. All of this questing for truth stuff can be exhausting.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee

And that's where we start going crazy, because if you never find a why, you could always argue that there might be one out there. Unless you actually find one, you may never definitively be able to say if there is or isn't one. Then we get into, just because we can't disprove it, doesn't mean it exists. Aand back to right, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. All of this questing for truth stuff can be exhausting.

No kidding.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:00 am
Obscurus
Taigamma
Obscurus
Taigamma

I think that all of the knowledge of the universe won't sate our appetite until we figure out the big questions: Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? Etc.
Indeed but as time has taken its toll on me, I have come to care not for the why we exist but how far we can.

The whys and hows of now are important of course but I think we should also be aiming for future whys and hows.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 pm
Taigamma
Obscurus
Taigamma
Obscurus
Taigamma

Indeed but as time has taken its toll on me, I have come to care not for the why we exist but how far we can.

The whys and hows of now are important of course but I think we should also be aiming for future whys and hows.

That's one way to look at it. I can't help but notice a tendency for history to repeat itself. Breaking the cycle may depend on some of those whys. Maybe.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm
Obscurus
Taigamma
Obscurus
Taigamma
Obscurus
Taigamma

That's one way to look at it. I can't help but notice a tendency for history to repeat itself. Breaking the cycle may depend on some of those whys. Maybe.
Indeed. We should examine and prepare with every step. Perhaps time is not meant to repeat this time or perhaps this has already been repeated and should not be changed because it's the only thing keeping existence together. Maybe the why of this repeating factor is because someone keeps making the same mistake each time and nearly destroys the world.

I must indeed agree that some of those whys may be depended upon.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff