Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Science (vs) Magic Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is the more valid method in acquiring knowledge? Science or Magic?
  Science
  Magic
  Both
  Other
View Results

Saliman Albus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 am
Hi everyone. I know I haven't been here in ages but I wanted to ask a question that has been "torturing" me for ages. Many of you are into both Mysticism and Science (or should be: in my opinion everyone, and especially you should seek Truth in all its forms). Haven't those apparently conflicting Paradigms created a turmoil in you? or you've come to a conclusion that science hasn't reached the point where it can talk about the things considered to be in the field of Mysticism or Religion? In my opinion Science is coming closer and closer to unlocking more of the truths of our universe, in the field of Cognitive neuroscience they're making leaps and bound in the understanding of intelligence and cognition, a theory of Panpsychism in Philosophy, in Theoretical Physics and Quantum Mechanics there has been the Holographic Principle and they are trying to formulate a Grand Unified Theory, in other fields there has been the Gaia Hypothesis, Medea Hypothesis and many other theories and concepts that are really close to what religion is all about and there are a plethora of analogues in Magic and mystical lore for many of the concepts of modern science. Do you think magic influences science in the direction of research as science influenced modern Magic (Urban Magic, Technopaganism and even Scientific method (Based on empirical evidence) in acquiring supernatural knowledge etc)? I've reached a point where Magic and Science are the same to me but the animosity between practicioners and scientists still frustrates me. What do you believe?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm
I believe that mysticism and science are two different ways of looking at the same universe. And they need not be totally separate.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 am
I think science generally is easier to understand, and magic is more related to psychology than physics I have found in my studying so far, which makes it very unscientific when you try to pursue understanding of it in a non-psychological way.

Magic isn't used in much experiments, and magic half of th etime is very related to eastern mysticism like feng shui would be related to rituals and such.

But eastern medicine is alot more practical I suppose, and alot closer to science. So tieing that into science, then to other forms of mysticism might be a good option.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
I think science generally is easier to understand, and magic is more related to psychology than physics I have found in my studying so far, which makes it very unscientific when you try to pursue understanding of it in a non-psychological way.

Magic isn't used in much experiments, and magic half of th etime is very related to eastern mysticism like feng shui would be related to rituals and such.

But eastern medicine is alot more practical I suppose, and alot closer to science. So tieing that into science, then to other forms of mysticism might be a good option.

Magic doesn't really lend itself to controlled experiments.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm
Obscurus
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

Basically magic is liek the palcebo effect right now I would think, with rituals and spells that are to influence and such.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Obscurus
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

Basically magic is liek the palcebo effect right now I would think, with rituals and spells that are to influence and such.

Magic does seem to require a mind to work.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm
Obscurus
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Obscurus
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

This is off topic but your avi changes so diversely every time I see your avi I dont even have the slightest inkling that its you, then when you quote me Im like, obscurus, didnt see him in a while, then turns out I did lolll.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Obscurus
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Obscurus
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

This is off topic but your avi changes so diversely every time I see your avi I dont even have the slightest inkling that its you, then when you quote me Im like, obscurus, didnt see him in a while, then turns out I did lolll.

I don't change it that often but when I do it's usually pretty drastic.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:41 pm
I always lean more towards science when wondering what to believe. Even so, whenever something paranormal is soundly debunked, I die a little bit inside.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:51 pm
Vanilla eXee
I always lean more towards science when wondering what to believe. Even so, whenever something paranormal is soundly debunked, I die a little bit inside.

I typically turn my skepticism toward the skeptics and poke holes in their argument. I like to point out the flaws in things like peer review or their experimental protocol.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee

I typically turn my skepticism toward the skeptics and poke holes in their argument. I like to point out the flaws in things like peer review or their experimental protocol.

Oh, what a vicious cycle that must be.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee

Since I don't really give a s**t and live to offend anymore it usually works out alright.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee

Since I don't really give a s**t and live to offend anymore it usually works out alright.

Haha, I guess so. Just seems to me like it would never end. Having a bad day?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee

Haha, I guess so. Just seems to me like it would never end. Having a bad day?

Couple of them actually.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100