Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Is this how the god and goddess progress through the year?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 pm
I was trying to figure out the story's and traditions behind the wheel of the year in correlation to the god and goddess.

YULE: (December, 2 months)
God Rebirth
Goddess New Mother

IMBOLIC: (February, 2 months)
Goddess Virgin
God Maturing

OSTARA: (March, 1 month)
Goddess lovely, inocent growing love
God Handsome Young Man

BELTAIN: (May, 2 months)
Goddess, Becomes Pregnant
God, Love and Fertility

MIDSUMMER: (June, 1 month)
Goddess Pregnant
God At His Peak

LAMMAS: (August, 2 months)
Goddess More Pregnant
God Weakens With Age

MABON: (September, 1 month)
Goddess Still Pregnant
God Old Man

SAMHAIN: (October, 2 months)
Goddess Still Pregnant In Sadness
God Passes beyond the Veil

So does that sound about right? Its just I hear often people speaking of it when talking about the wheel of the year and celebrating the sabbat so I'm trying to straighten it in my mind.
I know its not this way for everyone but I'm looking for the more popularly and spoken of conceptions of this.

btw I posted this question in another guild so sorry if you see it twice  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:12 pm
Different neo-pagan paths that celebrate Wiccan inspired holidays have different stories- but that isn't what I'm familiar with, and I don't understand the months you talk about.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 pm
I think the months are the time between each Sabbat.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:35 pm
Morg's thread in the Archives forum addresses most of this I think - An Eclectic Neo-Pagan Guide to Activites for the Sabbats  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:50 pm
too2sweet
Morg's thread in the Archives forum addresses most of this I think - An Eclectic Neo-Pagan Guide to Activites for the Sabbats

I used that guide as a reference for my topic post 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:35 am
What you're describing is roughly the gist of the Wheel - the God and Goddess going from Birth to Death and then Rebirth together. The Goddess herself is ageless and timeless, where as the power of the God rises and falls with the strength of the sun, and the growth of the natural world. He will always die and be reborn, so long as she holds his seed.

The Wheel of the Year is not an old concept. It came about during the same period of time as Wicca - it really is a creation of Gardner, wherein several different cultural holiday traditions were brought together to represent both cycles of fertility, and agricultural activity in Britain. The cultures these holidays are drawn from did not celebrate 8 Sabbats. They had different holidays, and maybe celebrated up to half of what's represented on the Wheel of the year.

The eclectic neo-pagan movement also latched onto the structure of the Wheel, but without the context it holds for Wiccans, and the Wheel of the Year has thusly acquired different significance for non-Wiccans. I think this is largely due to a different focus for many: nature worship rather than fertility, the variance in Deities, whether it be to focus on non-British pantheons or regions, or to have a soft-poly approach to Deity.

Outside of Wicca, I observe and honour the seasons when they turn, regardless of a calendar date. This has more impact on my day to day life, than the ritual calendar the Wheel represents.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 am
Morgandria
What you're describing is roughly the gist of the Wheel - the God and Goddess going from Birth to Death and then Rebirth together. The Goddess herself is ageless and timeless, where as the power of the God rises and falls with the strength of the sun, and the growth of the natural world. He will always die and be reborn, so long as she holds his seed.

The Wheel of the Year is not an old concept. It came about during the same period of time as Wicca - it really is a creation of Gardner, wherein several different cultural holiday traditions were brought together to represent both cycles of fertility, and agricultural activity in Britain. The cultures these holidays are drawn from did not celebrate 8 Sabbats. They had different holidays, and maybe celebrated up to half of what's represented on the Wheel of the year.

The eclectic neo-pagan movement also latched onto the structure of the Wheel, but without the context it holds for Wiccans, and the Wheel of the Year has thusly acquired different significance for non-Wiccans. I think this is largely due to a different focus for many: nature worship rather than fertility, the variance in Deities, whether it be to focus on non-British pantheons or regions, or to have a soft-poly approach to Deity.

Outside of Wicca, I observe and honour the seasons when they turn, regardless of a calendar date. This has more impact on my day to day life, than the ritual calendar the Wheel represents.

very interesting....  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 pm
Morgandria

Do you just kind of feel when the seasons change and celebrate then?  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
Morgandria

Yes and No.

No, because I am Wiccan, and I do use the Wheel of the Year as a ritual calendar with my coven. We use the astrological dates for the Sabbats, as closely as we can, to set our ritual observances. Some groups use fixed dates for their Sabbats, rather than astrological ones. For Wicca the Sabbats are not arbitrary. They happen at particular points inside the year.

And Yes, because my personal practice is not Wicca, and I spend a lot of time practicing on my own. My own personal 'calendar' involves generally just the cross-quarters, and in between I tend to honour things whenever certain things happen (like the first snow, or the harvest of some crop, etc.) and not by a set calendar of any kind. For example, on my own I don't celebrate the equinoxes or solstices. My weather and seasonal patterns don't line up that well with them.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Morgandria
Musical_Vampire_Socks
Morgandria

Yes and No.

No, because I am Wiccan, and I do use the Wheel of the Year as a ritual calendar with my coven. We use the astrological dates for the Sabbats, as closely as we can, to set our ritual observances. Some groups use fixed dates for their Sabbats, rather than astrological ones. For Wicca the Sabbats are not arbitrary. They happen at particular points inside the year.

And Yes, because my personal practice is not Wicca, and I spend a lot of time practicing on my own. My own personal 'calendar' involves generally just the cross-quarters, and in between I tend to honour things whenever certain things happen (like the first snow, or the harvest of some crop, etc.) and not by a set calendar of any kind. For example, on my own I don't celebrate the equinoxes or solstices. My weather and seasonal patterns don't line up that well with them.

I follow the astrological Sabbats myself as well.
I don't see the Sabbaths as certain days as some might its an exact time to me and the day that time lands on is the Sabbat in my book....  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items