Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:33 am
So I saw the thing about tattooed fish which I think is horrible, a few threads below. (I had already known about it, just saw it and was reminded of it)
Anyway, I was wondering what the opinion is of tattooed cats. I have mixed feelings about it. Tattooing a cat is pretty pointless. But it's apparently done while under anesthetic, so the cat doesn't really know it's getting tattooed and I'd imagine it really doesn't cause pain.
I don't know. I mean if you have the money to put a cat under anesthesia and get it tattooed is there much of a problem?
It does kind of seem a bit silly to tattoo a cat just to make it look cool but on the other hand don't people spend hundreds of dollars on cats like bengals, sphynxes even, and etc, because of their looks?
And also there's the whole grooming thing; grooming cats to look like lions and whatnot.

Either way I honestly think this looks kind of neat
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
and it'd make good identification I guess
'lost cat found. bald and has a freaking tattoo of king tut'
edit
I guess I wasn't really thinking of all the points here. I am so tired lol
but while it may not be a good thing to do I still can't help but think that it looks kind of neat.
I do, however, approve of temporary tattoos on sphinxes  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:39 am
That is clearly fake.

Animals do get id tattoos, its mostly letters and numbers on the inside of their thigh or belly, although I do know of a guy that had the Hurley "H" tattooed on his dog as her identifier. He name is also Hurley, and it was done by his vet.  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 am
Whiskey On A Sunday
That is clearly fake.

Animals do get id tattoos, its mostly letters and numbers on the inside of their thigh or belly, although I do know of a guy that had the Hurley "H" tattooed on his dog as her identifier. He name is also Hurley, and it was done by his vet.

That's not fake...
This has been around for a while now and there are videos even of the cat getting tattooed. But to make things easier here's a picture
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:51 am
I've never heard of that, and it sounds horrible. First, most cats have hair so what's the point? Secondly cats have very loose skin and I can't imagine the process being easy on that kind of skin. Next you have potential for ink poisoning. There's also the fact that you are putting an animal under anesthesia which is an artificial comma. There are ALWAYS some risks when doing this. After they would need to be bandaged probably, and pain meds. BUYING a cat that already looks a certain way is one thing, but putting a cat through anesthesia and putting ink in their skin just to look cool, that seems incredibly cruel and I can't imagine any vet being willing to do it.

The only tattooing we do is ear tats for identification purposes. Especially the ferals so we don't try to spay a cat that we've already done. And dogs are done for identification as well. That tattoo is not done with a conventional needle. We take like a sharp stamp device, put the numbers or letters we want, cover them and the ear in ink, clamp down real hard, then stick a gauze and then we do our surger, so the cat was ALREADY under anesthesia and we only do ears.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:55 am
I have no words for this.

But I'm going to use this for my blog.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:58 am
First, to put a cat under, it needs to be intubated, that is the placement of a flexible plastic tube into the trachea (windpipe) to maintain an open airway. Tattoo shops don't have the equipment or the skills/training to intubate any one or thing at all.

Second, have you ever seen a tattoo being done? Ever had one done? The skin is red and puffy and bleeds during and after the tattooing process and I don't see and red puffy areas or even the slightest hint that there is any bleeding, because yes, you do bleed while getting a tattoo, weather your a human or a cat.

Just because you can snag a picture off of google does not mean it is real.  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:07 am
Whiskey On A Sunday
First, to put a cat under, it needs to be intubated, that is the placement of a flexible plastic tube into the trachea (windpipe) to maintain an open airway. Tattoo shops don't have the equipment or the skills/training to intubate any one or thing at all.

Second, have you ever seen a tattoo being done? Ever had one done? The skin is red and puffy and bleeds during and after the tattooing process and I don't see and red puffy areas or even the slightest hint that there is any bleeding, because yes, you do bleed while getting a tattoo, weather your a human or a cat.

Just because you can snag a picture off of google does not mean it is real.

Yes, I have
there's the video since you keep doubting me. I know what's real and I know what's not.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4ad_1234190162
this story has also been featured on other TV shows. I think it was even on animal planet at one point.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 am
I still thinks its questionable simply because...

Quote:

Whiskey On A Sunday

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:16 am
Whiskey On A Sunday
I still thinks its questionable simply because...

Quote:

They could be wiping the blood away when the camera isn't on it?
Also, how do you know that a cat's skin wouldn't react differently to tattoos?
I once accidently injured my cat and I didn't even realize it until several seconds later because it took so long to start bleeding.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:32 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I've never heard of that, and it sounds horrible. First, most cats have hair so what's the point? Secondly cats have very loose skin and I can't imagine the process being easy on that kind of skin. Next you have potential for ink poisoning. There's also the fact that you are putting an animal under anesthesia which is an artificial comma. There are ALWAYS some risks when doing this. After they would need to be bandaged probably, and pain meds. BUYING a cat that already looks a certain way is one thing, but putting a cat through anesthesia and putting ink in their skin just to look cool, that seems incredibly cruel and I can't imagine any vet being willing to do it.

I agree with this. Even if it doesn't hurt, I've always understood it to be risky to go under anesthesia. I don't agree with putting a cat through that risk for something so unnecessary as "let's make my cat look cool". I don't know much about the procedure, but I would imagine that there's pain afterwards, all for something that isn't necessary.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Lime Kiss

Versatile Lover

4,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:48 pm
That's terrible. Even though it may not hurt them to get the tattoo, tattoos are sore afterwards. It's like tattooing a baby. They can't consent to it, so you shouldn't modify their bodies unless their health depends on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 pm
It says in the video the cat was under general anesthesia for THREE HOURS! That's a LONG time. For no reason. The gases used in anesthesia decrease heart rate, depress the resperatory system and lowers body temperature. Also, in order to GET the tube into their throat the animal must be first sedated. Usually with a mixture of two controlled drugs (Ketamine a.k.a "special K" and Valium). One of them often causes cats to forget to breath. And where is the vet in all this. Putting a cat under is a medical procedure. The longer they are under, the bigger the risk of them never waking up. Even some of the more complex medical procedure are not 3hrs long. Cowboy was under for one hour once for a CT scan and he was dopped for HOURS after it. The drugs also have side effects including but not limited to, diarrhea, constipation and vomiting.

Why would someone put their pet through all of that for a tattoo it's disgusting it should be illegal I can't imagine what vet would allow this and I'm certain it's illegal to anesthetize a cat without a vet. This is even worse than declawing in my opinion. At least declawing serves SOMEWHAT of a purpose sometimes allowing a cat to continue living in a home that would otherwise get rid of it.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:10 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
It says in the video the cat was under general anesthesia for THREE HOURS! That's a LONG time. For no reason. The gases used in anesthesia decrease heart rate, depress the resperatory system and lowers body temperature. Also, in order to GET the tube into their throat the animal must be first sedated. Usually with a mixture of two controlled drugs (Ketamine a.k.a "special K" and Valium). One of them often causes cats to forget to breath. And where is the vet in all this. Putting a cat under is a medical procedure. The longer they are under, the bigger the risk of them never waking up. Even some of the more complex medical procedure are not 3hrs long. Cowboy was under for one hour once for a CT scan and he was dopped for HOURS after it. The drugs also have side effects including but not limited to, diarrhea, constipation and vomiting.

Why would someone put their pet through all of that for a tattoo it's disgusting it should be illegal I can't imagine what vet would allow this and I'm certain it's illegal to anesthetize a cat without a vet. This is even worse than declawing in my opinion. At least declawing serves SOMEWHAT of a purpose sometimes allowing a cat to continue living in a home that would otherwise get rid of it.

I'm sure it is most likely illegal in America, but this seems to be localized in Russia  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:27 pm
I am so with Gabrielle on this one. To be honest, I am almost more concerned with the idea of putting a cat under medically unnecessary anesthesia for an extended period of time than I am about the pain of the needles of the procedure!

It may look cool, but I DON'T think you should be able to do that frivolous of a procedure on someone who can not consent, as Lime alluded. I'm not saying that animals should have to give their consent for everything... they are still animals, I am not an AR person. I know that dogs and cats would prefer NOT to be fixed, and my dog LOVED chocolate. But somethings we do because it is better for them than they know.

Tattoos should be one of those things we should know better than to do to our pets, IMHO.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:22 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Did it even have the tube? Come to think of it I don't think I saw one...  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff