GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:05 am
gaia_nitemareleft anyone want my critiques or anyone from this guild for that matter. I feel like it's necessary that if you want to improve you must hear truthful opinions and if you want them they will be here. gaia_nitemareright

1. post the art to be critiqued one at a time please.

2. I will critique it if not someone else will critique the art and the critique can be given a thumbs up or thumb down by the artist. That way we know if the critiques are helpful. yum_puddi

3. If you do edit your art to the critique. Please post it back up here for a new critique. (Not all critiques will be bad)

Critiques and reworking art is how the real world works. In business if the boss doesn't like the work you must redo it till he likes it since he is the one paying for the work. Also in many places they rework pieces dozens of times to get them right especially for character designers and illustrators. Anyway That is my deal with critique and enjoy emotion_yatta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 am
User Image

OneWeekRainisu
Captain

Barton Phantom

11,650 Points
  • Intermediate Skill 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Pet Lover 100

GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 pm
OneWeekRainisu

Loving the character design. It's very awesome, and the colors go really well together. The not floating is a good thing to do in drawing as well. Floating a character in the middle of a blank page is probably a fatal flaw several artists have so that's a plus. You have a strong drawing for the hand anatomy wise, and the face is okay as well and really good as far as an anime/cartoon style. As far as the rest of the anatomy I might take into consideration the perspective on her torso and shoulder level. The angle of the shoulders. I would also make her ears bigger. This is a frontal 3/4-ish view so I would show a bit more of the back of her head wink

If you were to redraw I would suggest nothing more than some contrast in shading on the colors to give it more depth or smoothen it out more for a comic or cartoon like appeal. And fix a few perspective flaws, namely her torso and around her ear area, giving to volume and filling up more space.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 pm
MahoHaku
OneWeekRainisu

Loving the character design. It's very awesome, and the colors go really well together. The not floating is a good thing to do in drawing as well. Floating a character in the middle of a blank page is probably a fatal flaw several artists have so that's a plus. You have a strong drawing for the hand anatomy wise, and the face is okay as well and really good as far as an anime/cartoon style. As far as the rest of the anatomy I might take into consideration the perspective on her torso and shoulder level. The angle of the shoulders. I would also make her ears bigger. This is a frontal 3/4-ish view so I would show a bit more of the back of her head wink

If you were to redraw I would suggest nothing more than some contrast in shading on the colors to give it more depth or smoothen it out more for a comic or cartoon like appeal. And fix a few perspective flaws, namely her torso and around her ear area, giving to volume and filling up more space.

lol, yeah, I have a hard time with ears, ^//^ I normally hide them if I can, but I'm trying to get better at it. Its funny that you say you like the colors, most of them are highlighters or the pens that I had just bought that day and was testing out. lol, though color contrast is a strong suite of mine. Oh, I'm suprised you didn't say anything on her mouth that's were I thought I went wrong the most. Lol, I like you critique, thank you for taking the time. Oh and the character is from a manga I'm trying to do.  

OneWeekRainisu
Captain

Barton Phantom

11,650 Points
  • Intermediate Skill 100
  • Pet Lover 100

GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:27 pm
OneWeekRainisu
MahoHaku
OneWeekRainisu

lol, yeah, I have a hard time with ears, ^//^ I normally hide them if I can, but I'm trying to get better at it. Its funny that you say you like the colors, most of them are highlighters or the pens that I had just bought that day and was testing out. lol, though color contrast is a strong suite of mine. Oh, I'm suprised you didn't say anything on her mouth that's were I thought I went wrong the most. Lol, I like you critique, thank you for taking the time. Oh and the character is from a manga I'm trying to do.

For anime that mouth is okay although maybe the jaw line could be angled slightly different or lower, depending on how you would redraw the head a bit for her ear. Shaping the anatomy first before drawing the character is very important in getting a good piece no matter if it's an animal, object, or person.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:33 am
User Image

a guy could use some help  

Daisuke Kaicho

Dangerous Prophet

3,725 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

blue_eyed_wolf16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:18 pm
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:45 pm
I-Daisuke Kaicho-I

Very ninja I like it. I like the character design and the perspective works for him. He's very anime stylized and it works. I think that if possible always remember 3 lighting. Rim lighting, key lighting, fill lighting. Deep shadows are also a good thing unless it's an intended style. For this you have the right shading on the eyes but I would carry it through out the piece.  

GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50

GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 pm
blue_eyed_wolf16

This most reminds me of Gaia, but the character designs are good and so is the color choices. The anatomy is done well as is the draping of the Fabrics. As far as editing I would either ramp of the detail with more realistic lighting or get a nice clean line work down with clean shading for the character to give it a good professional style. Otherwise the shading looks a little too flat as is with the small amount of visible line work. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:01 pm
MahoHaku
I-Daisuke Kaicho-I

Very ninja I like it. I like the character design and the perspective works for him. He's very anime stylized and it works. I think that if possible always remember 3 lighting. Rim lighting, key lighting, fill lighting. Deep shadows are also a good thing unless it's an intended style. For this you have the right shading on the eyes but I would carry it through out the piece.

Yea a lot of people tell me to to darken the shadow and what not . . . lol but I like my shadowing soooo yea... Thx you very much I really enjoyed hearing what you had to say about it.  

Daisuke Kaicho

Dangerous Prophet

3,725 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:00 pm
I-Daisuke Kaicho-I
MahoHaku
I-Daisuke Kaicho-I

Yea a lot of people tell me to to darken the shadow and what not . . . lol but I like my shadowing soooo yea... Thx you very much I really enjoyed hearing what you had to say about it.

Glad I can help... but another word of advice is that if you were going into a field of art other than personal art I would suggest not always doing what you want to do. Sure you will eventually get to your own art but for a long while till you move your way up, making art for others is what it's all it's about. If they don't like the piece you don't get paid ya know. Anyway please work on several types of work, and do many different things with that art, rework them. If you don't you'll never improve.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:08 pm
MahoHaku
I-Daisuke Kaicho-I
MahoHaku
I-Daisuke Kaicho-I

Glad I can help... but another word of advice is that if you were going into a field of art other than personal art I would suggest not always doing what you want to do. Sure you will eventually get to your own art but for a long while till you move your way up, making art for others is what it's all it's about. If they don't like the piece you don't get paid ya know. Anyway please work on several types of work, and do many different things with that art, rework them. If you don't you'll never improve.
lol I draw as a release and to show off meh skills. . . . I rarely draw for othere ppl unless it's someone close to me and It's always free. . . .  

Daisuke Kaicho

Dangerous Prophet

3,725 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

blue_eyed_wolf16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:25 am
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:02 pm
User Image

Another one from me, here, I want to know what you think. Its done on MS paint.

OneWeekRainisu
Captain

Barton Phantom

11,650 Points
  • Intermediate Skill 100
  • Pet Lover 100

GentleBirb
Vice Captain

Skilled Genius

8,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm
blue_eyed_wolf16
User Image

I like the concept and the Anatomy is pretty decent. The pose seems a little static since it's from the side thought. I would work on the contrast of the shading on certain parts such as the gold since metal picks up vary dark colors as well as the brightest highlights and is very high contrast. Also, just a nitpick thing but I might tone down the purple in the hair or put darker colors in his uniform to balance out the darks and lights. emotion_yatta

Art Help [!?!]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff