Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Ocean Magick

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:46 am
Hello people. Since I'm really drawn to the ocean, I wondered if there were any books on Ocean Magick?

I have a book called Mermaid Wisdom, but that's about working with the mermaid image on a spiritual level. It's a really interesting book. But it's not what I'm looking for.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:24 am
Honestly - there probably isn't, though you can try looking for folklore books, and you might find something that will be helpful. You can probably find things on water magic (of which the ocean would be a part of), but you also have to realize that the ocean (even though it's primarily water), is actually somewhat of a dual element since it also contains salt (which is a representation of earth). I would think that any magic relating to the ocean would be cleansing, purification, and healing type things. You might be better of just studying the properties of the ocean, and then coming up with your own rituals/spells, etc... as relates to your own personal practice.

There are a few websites on "Sea Witches", but they seem to have rather large fluffy leanings, so probably not the best places to be looking.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:08 pm
too2sweet
Honestly - there probably isn't, though you can try looking for folklore books, and you might find something that will be helpful. You can probably find things on water magic (of which the ocean would be a part of), but you also have to realize that the ocean (even though it's primarily water), is actually somewhat of a dual element since it also contains salt (which is a representation of earth). I would think that any magic relating to the ocean would be cleansing, purification, and healing type things. You might be better of just studying the properties of the ocean, and then coming up with your own rituals/spells, etc... as relates to your own personal practice.

There are a few websites on "Sea Witches", but they seem to have rather large fluffy leanings, so probably not the best places to be looking.

What folklore books could you recommend?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:21 pm
Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire, and Water has a small chapter on ocean magic, but I don't think it would be enough to go on.  

Angel Bruja

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:03 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

What folklore books could you recommend?

You're probably looking for books that relate to the folk practices and beliefs of coastal areas - anywhere that fishing, or in older times whaling, might have been the main industry of the area.
Obviously this covers a lot of different cultures and continents - but it's a place to start.

Witch balls, for example, are likely related to fishing floats, being glass balls of similar appearance.

If I think of a specific author or title. I'll post it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:35 pm
There is Sea Witch by Wendy Joubert but that is unfortunately unavailable. There is also Sea Magic by Sandra Kynes, which is a decent starter book on sea witchcraft but it has clear neowicca leanings in it.

I'm primarily a sea witch, so I can answer any questions you may have.

xMiemiex

High-functioning Prophet

3,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:14 pm
Not really ocean related in particular (though there are some sections on it), but From a Drop of Water is a collection from various authors, on Water in general. Might be useful.

Keep an eye out too, because it's been offered for free several times over the last year on Amazon (you can get the free Kindle Reader app for it). Either way it's fairly inexpensive.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:04 am
@Sedative: I will message you. The book my Sandra Kynes seems really interesting. I may order it off amazon.

@too2sweet It looks interesting. Unfortunately, I don't own a kindle or any technology that uses that sort of software. I may be getting an iPhone. Can you get Kindle on that?  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am
Azareas Aquarinus
@too2sweet It looks interesting. Unfortunately, I don't own a kindle or any technology that uses that sort of software. I may be getting an iPhone. Can you get Kindle on that?

Oh hell yeah. I use Kindle on my iPhone while I walk on the treadmill.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Azareas Aquarinus
@Sedative: I will message you. The book my Sandra Kynes seems really interesting. I may order it off amazon.

you can download the free kindle app for your computer too, doesn't have to be a portable device  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:34 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Azareas Aquarinus

Oh hell yeah. I use Kindle on my iPhone while I walk on the treadmill.

Haha. Unfortunately I don't own an iPhone. I have a Blackberry for another year since my contract ends in December haha  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm
My husband is a Pacific islander from Palau they have a lot of folk lore regarding the ocean such as "Born from the Sea" You might want to try to find something reguarding Island lifestyle and magic. I will see if I can find the book his uncle wrote about Palauan culture.  

Zabora Lionheart

Tipsy Sex Symbol

9,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 pm
Zabora Lionheart
My husband is a Pacific islander from Palau they have a lot of folk lore regarding the ocean such as "Born from the Sea" You might want to try to find something reguarding Island lifestyle and magic. I will see if I can find the book his uncle wrote about Palauan culture.

Thank you smile  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games