There are many unwritten rules and guidelines to Roleplaying. Following these are the best way to avoid pissing off your fellow roleplayers, and doing them is the best way to make everyone realize how stupid you are. Nobody likes a roleplayer who does these things. So don't do them, or don't roleplay. Your choice.

God Modding

This is probably one of the most annoying and complicated things you will ever come across in RPing. A few examples are listed below to help provide you with an accurate depiction of it.

This is an improper way to fight...

Quote:
Velocity rushed forward with his blade in hand, vengeance in his eyes as he stabbed his sword into the heart of his opponent.

This is very clearly god modding. You cannot control another person's character. Killing off NPCs (Non-playable characters) is completely fine. The butlers and maids in the Vampire Lair are considered NPCs and can be killed whenever someone feels like it.

A proper example of RP fighting without god modding would be something like this...

Quote:
Velocity rushed forward with his blade in hand, vengeance in his eyes as he aimed his sword at the heart of his opponent. He was quick and skilled, making it difficult for his enemy to dodge his attack.

This adds more detail to the fight and forces the person you are RPing against to think outside the box and come up with a dodge or counter attack. You are also not controlling the other persons character in this situation.

Other examples of God Modding would be:

Quote:
Velocity jumped into the air, aiming his hand at the village below him. He gathered his energy and shot an orb of power upon the innocent citizens. A bright flash of light followed the impact, rubble and debris were thrown into the sky. Bodies of the fallen were strewn across the surrounding area. The entire community had been destroyed in a matter of seconds.

It is considered god modding to destroy any large portion of land with active guild members without proper consent from the Vice Captains or me. If the land is filled with NPC's and is not a major area for RPing, such as a thread then it is alright to destroy it. One could be destroying it to get the attention of the current leader of a race; this is for war purposes of course. (Hope I explained that properly, this might be edited in the future)

Information

Another complexed and aggravating subject. (Hoping I can explain this right.) This could also be considered god modding by certain standards.
Information that you are aware of but your character isn't cannot be used in an RP. Your character must become aware of this information either by being told by another guild member's character or by seeing/hearing it themselves.

If you're browsing through the threads and discover a race is about to wage war on another race your character cannot just randomly warn people of the threat. Your character would not be aware of this information because he/she was not present whenever the information was given in the RP.

Quote:
Velocity sat in the shadows, he would be almost impossible to detect. His scent, heat, and energy had been concealed. The only possible way for someone to discover him would be his aura and this gifted ability of sight was rare. He heard the vampires discussing war plans. Arrea just revealed to her general that she planned to invade the lycan territory and wage war. Velocity shocked by this information darted off to find the lycan alpha to tell her of the disturbing news.

If your character was not present, they must have a suitable reason for discovering it. NCP'S ARE NOT SUITABLE SOURCES OF INFORMATION. They are pathological liars, and anything they tell you will be disregarded and you will soon thereafter get your a** whooped by the Information-Leak Protective Force (ILPF). THE FOLLOWING IS NOT OKAY.

Quote:
Velocity sat in the tavern, enjoying his cup of tea. Everything seemed fine and dandy as he enjoyed the serenity of the peace enveloping the land. One of his friends suddenly burst through the doors, obviously in a panic. Sweat beaded his brow and he was panting, about to collapse from exhaustion. Velocity rushed to his aid, proving him an arm for support. "What's wrong, you look like hell?"

His friend grasped the material of Velocity's shirt. "I bring disturbing news. I was in the Vampire Lair, scouting for information whenever I heard Arrea speaking of war against the lycan clans."

Velocity was speechless and almost dropped his friend from the weight of he news. He had no idea what to do but he decided he must warn the lycan alpha.

Again, the only way your character can gain information is by being present (or a suitable substitute, say for example a PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED bug).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This topic is all about role-play awareness. With the onset of poorly skilled role-players growing larger all the time, we need this thread to show them where they are going wrong. This lists first the types of role-player, and then the various types of Muncher/Godmoder/Godmodder.

Types of Godmodders

n00b: This type of role-player is so disgraceful that they don't even deserve to be bolded in this list of role-player types. They are the epitome of stupidity. When you see one, you should either simply ignore them, or find some way to make your computer explode so you don't have to be sucked into the vortex of their stupidity. To be perfectly frank, all n00bs should be forced by Moderators to wear something to identify them. But as that can not be done, here are some ways to tell them apart from other role-players. They can not type. They use text speak and other shorthand forms of typing. And they absolutely refuse to refer to logic when referring to role-playing situations. I would say that they are almost as intelligent as a dolphin, but that would be mean to the dolphins.

An example of a n00b post. >.>

Random n00b I found who is worthless Wrote:

u think ur better than me? *punchs u*

Egotists: These people are at first sight, good rp'ers. but after watching them role play for a time, you will come to notice that no one ever seems to be able to prove them wrong. And not because they are necessarily smarter than anyone around, but because they are to stubborn and bullheaded to realize that they have been makng any mistakes. These role-players are merely a single step above n00bs.

Aimbotter : a role player who has ridiculously unrealistic accuracy and unsurprisingly never misses (or almost never.) This is not only limited to firearms but also to any projectile such as mystically throwing a shard of metal into someones ear lobe from a few hundred metres off.

Billy: My two pet huming birds fly around me.

Ben: From a hundred metres away I shoot behind my back with a 9mm pistol and one of the hummingbirds heads fly off, I then spin around a peg my gun directly into the other bird.

IDKFA- ers are basically spys, with totally unrealistic gadgets or items on their body or person, which are also unrelated to the character, such as a laser pen on Solid Snake. Or James Bond and a condom.

Billy: I raise a gun to your forehead.

Ben: I tap my watch and it turns into a magnet which pulls your gun right out of your hand before a laser cannon emerges from my sunglasses along with two tactical nukes.

Twinks: Sometimes allowed in certain RPs. If the RP isn't specifically about invincible deities and such, a simple rule is that if the strengths aren't counterbalanced with relatively equivalent weaknesses (or if the reasoning behind the phenomenal cosmic powers isn't eloquently and appropriately explained), you're dealing with a Twink.

Billy: Having knocked you down, I give you my hand to help you to your feet.

Ben: My skin turns you to stone.

Min-Maxers: Basically the same as a twink but tends to incoporate many more powers as opposed to the twinks token super unstoppable power, and also has usually one (sometimes more) token weakness.

Billy: After you beating me to a pulp with your super magic armour I ask you what weakness's it has.

Ben: Uhh, if you hit both armpits at the same time with a wet towel.

Info-Leakages: Using out of character knowledge in a role play, sons of bitches. Theese are especially frowned upon.

Billy: (( My character is secretly a fire mage even though he shows no sign of it in his appearance. ))

Ben: Turns on a high pressured hose. "Die you fire b***h!"

Hi-Jackers: interfere with things that only the creator of the thread should be capable of usually to do with the environment, for instance self destructing a base, only the leader should have such permission and codes. Tis a no no.

Billy: "My bar has been sieged by evil ninjas!"

Ben: Presses a self destruct button that I always knew was hidden under the painting of an orange.

Billy: ((There is no self destruct button!!))

Puppetmasters: Dictating what another persons character does or how they react, extremely irritating.

Billy: I walk into the room and sit down at the bar.

Ben: I smash you in the head with a bottle and you run screaming from the room before falling down the stairs and killing yourself.

Prosecutors: Basically the largest idiot in a place, who accuses others of breaking AMP rules when they are. Guilty.

Billy: I slash at you as hard as I can with my sword.

Ben: I catch your sword and snap it in half before punching you in the face causing your nose to bleed.

Billy: ((You can't just catch my sword and make me bleed like that!))

Ben: ((Yes I can! You can't swing a sword without moving foward and everbody knows that I'm uber strong and can snap swords, so you were always going to get punched, and if you think you could have moved that quickly you would be godmodding! n00b!! ))

Shoe elves: A form of puppet mastery that usually involves the lack of another characters role players presence, it is not a very common problem. And usually only a bit of a joke.

Billy: ((I have to go eat dinner. See you guys later!))

Ben: Notcing that Billy stopped moving I walk up to him and shave off both his eyebrows before taking off his clothes and taking numerous photos which I send to playgirl.

Revisionists: Someone who's alters and RP to suit their needs, usually when they don't like the RP itself (or if they're in serious trouble and are desperately avoiding defeat).

Billy: Considering this is a Medieval RP, I take my time as my illiterate and somewhat retarded peasant, wandering around te town boredly.

Ben: Not particuarly liking the looks of this RP, I decide to spice things up a bit by deploying my Iron Maiden robots, giant metal skull crushing machines of doom, which incinerate all in their path!

Billy: (( This is a MEDIEVAL RP! ))

Ben: (( Not any more b***h. ))

Speedhackers: Someone who does far to much in a single post, most in fight posts should only consist of a couple seconds. Otherwise its almost verging into puppet mastery with the lack of the other characters reaction.

Billy: I shoot at you twice with still six bullets remaining in my gun.

Ben: I jump behind a table to escape your shots, and then I get back up and calmly make a cup of tea before walking up to you and slapping you in the face.

Oxymoron's: A character that is basically the opposite of itself, and therefore extremely unlikely to exist. Such as a pacifist preist warlord. They just don't make sense.

Billy: In this roleplay based in 1840, Texas, I am a cowboy.

Ben: I am a young boy who was trained in Tibet in the ancient art of Kung Jujitsu and also how to shoot every kind of gun there is. And I ride up to you on a motorbike.

Baghdad Bobbits: Puppet masters and aimbotters combine to form an instakill style of role play.

Billy: I look up at the stars.

Ben: I run up to you and grab your hand pulling you over before stabbing you several times in the spine with a large fork.

Hives: So named after such things as the xenomorphs from Aliens, the Klendathu bugs from Star ship Troopers, and the teeming hoards they generally are. These hoards are always fearless, will battle until dead, and quite often have some excessive weapons and/or armour. Basically, it's the guys who have too many NPCs.

Billy: I wait in the meadow for my opponent to arrive.

Ben: I see Billy and then whistle and seven thousand of my super ninja warriors appear from the shadows to kill you.

Gaseous Snakes: A character that apparently was everywhere in the past and did everything possible that could benefit themselves.

Billy: I run through the forest, weaving and cutting through trees.

Ben: You fall down a pit I dug earlier knowing exactly where you would run.

Zoicite: The people who alter their character as needed for the situation.

Billy: After revealing your true vampire form I stab at your heart with a wooden stake.

Ben: The stake hits a my chest and splinters because I am also a robot!

NIMBY: The people who quite readily attack others' characters, but then stop all attacks on their own thread.

Billy: "You burnt down my bar now its time for you to pay!"

Ben: My hundred auto turrects activate, as well as a magical pulse that paralyses all living things. As you stand in the middle of a highly dangerous mine field.

or

Ben: -Deletes post-

Trinity: The knowledge downloaders, the omniscience wizards. Those people who never learnt anything but know everything.

Billy: After a life being brought up hunting with my father I can use a knife and shoot quite well.

Ben: Growing up alone I became tough. Now I know twenty martial arts and how to fly a helicopter even though your the first person I've ever met.

Quakers: Remember the gun room from the Matrix, its like that. But in someones pocket.

Billy: At the sight of the full moon I turn into a werewolf and charge at you howling for blood.

Ben: Even though I was swimming and in just a towel, I pull a gun loaded with a silver bullet out from undre my towel and shoot at your chest.

Ghosts: Those characters which mysteriously appear in different areas with no explanation due to poor writing.

Billy: Sitting on the roof as everyone else sits inside I sigh thinking about my dead father.

Ben: I hear Billy sigh and ask him if he is alright and pat him on the back.

Billy: ((Dude you were just inside. A whole storey was blocking us. ))

Auto-Hitters: make a person who tells you how he hit you and how his hit connected, it is NEVER allowed.

Billy: I take a swing at you with a bat.

Ben: I grab the bat from your hands, spin around and smash your knee caps backwards.