Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Would you take your spouse's last name? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dante_Sonata

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 pm
I would. But mostly because I want to change my last name so that I'm no longer associated with a family that has essentially disowned and emotionally abused both myself and my mother for years. On the other hand, though, I'm still really close to my dad (it's his side of the family that disowned me), and don't want to just drop that familial connection. Most likely, I'd choose to go with a hyphenated last name or something.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm
Hyphenated last name, probably... Actually, I don't really know, because I haven't talked about it with my girlfriend, but then again I'm still too young to think about marriage and all that heebee-bajeebee, so In time the answer will expose itself. If it ever does, anyways.
lol

eat more happy

Friendly Elocutionist

8,525 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Depends if I really like her last name and it goes with my first. I've had to change my name twice - first from my mother's into a hyphen of her and my dad's last names, then to my dad's last name. Then my dad got married and changed his name to his mother's maiden name, because his wife had the same last name and he had a falling out with his dad or something - and wanted me to change my last name to Wilson. gonk Ugh, I dodged a bullet on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm
well...it depends on the guy's name. i've been picked on for my last name before, because of an afterschol program with the same name....
Walkers. ugh.....
but, for example, if i marry a guy and his last name is Throgmorton (yes, i do know a guy with that last name), then im keeping Walker. but if i marry a guy with a nice last name, then i'll consider changing or hyphenating. 3nodding  

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100

Sariou

Greedy Receiver

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:44 pm
I would, 1 because I hate my last name... 2 because I want to show my partner how much I love them (i wouldn't want them to have my last name)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm
I dislike my last name, so I would most likely take the name of my spouse. Unless they happened to really like my last name for some reason. Then she or he could take my name.  

Princess Sumire

Saturdays Tierce

Witty Informer

7,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 pm
Probably so, and If things are going the way they are, It would be cool too. K.K. would be my Initials  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm
I definitely am,whether by marriage or through some other legal name change.I pretty much refuse to keep the last name of a man that would've have thrown me out on the street had it not been for having a mother to move in with  

Koecia

Ayame_Rikimayu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:45 am
My last name is Downer. gonk I want it to go away.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:36 pm
I'd rather they take mine instead because I love my last name. (MURILLO) xP Let's people know I got some Spanish in me because it would be impossible to tell otherwise aside from my sorta curly but mostly cut hair.  

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:01 pm
I would consider hyphenating my name, maybe, if his name wasn't too long, but I don't really have any interest in changing my last name to someone else's. I wouldn't want a potential spouse to take my last name, either.

I can understand where people are coming from, when they say they would like to take a different name to distance themselves from bad memories associated with their families. I strongly considered adopting my step-father's last name (I didn't, though; that would have given me the initials STD gonk ), because I wanted no ties to my father.

As it is, I'm glad that I chose to keep my last name.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 pm
I would take his name.
I just think its really romantic <3

iLegoBlock

Wheezing Sex Symbol

6,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Pie Enabler 100

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:43 pm
I would probably take my spouse's name, if it were nice and went with my first name. I'm thinking about changing my name myself, actually, since my first name is really looooong and my last name is short and they don't work together well. Nothing too exotic, tho. My bffl has an arabic first name and a japanese last name, and her ancestry is russian-english-french.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm
...they can take my name. I've got an odd last name, and yes it caused some teasing...but I'm the only one left with it. Grandma had two girls, Mama had a girl and my cousins have their father's last name. On top of it, my family's got bad luck with marriage anyway, so I seriously want my kids to have my last name  

Serrenedy

Unbeatable Lover

6,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
  • 20 Wins 100

ErthGrl9870

Friendly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm
I think I'd go either way.
Whichever my wife-to-be decided would be best.
I wouldn't really care if she took my name, or if I took hers, or if we both kept our maiden names.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff