Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
"It's like 'Alice in Wonderland' with machine guns!"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mlle Alice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:19 pm
Hn..

I'll admit, I take AiW to heart. I have a passionate obsession love for it. When I recently heard that one of the people in charge of this film described it as, 'Alice in Wonderland with machine guns', I was a tad pissed off. The quote itself (and perhaps the notion itself?) really got under my skin. This film is awful with nothing but massive fan service, which does not make a brilliant masterpiece. I mean, really, this movie is like Inception meets Burlesque. stare

I realize that this rant may seem silly to some people, but it's something that REALLY ticked me off. To compare a literary work such as AiW to this trash made me want to find this so called 'producer' and egg her house. This film is NOTHING like AiW. The main harlot is NOTHING like Alice. It's essentially about a woman in a brothel who can lap dance in order to 'save' herself.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:00 am
Okay that is just insulting,I've seen trailers for that movie and it is nothing like AiW. To compare it to that insults the classic novel , and is like comparing apples to oranges.

-shakes head- I'd like to know their reasoning though as to why they believe this film could be compared to Alice in Wonderland like that . I suppose it'd be some minor detail that barely made it a good comparison.  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

CharmerX

2,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am
They probably threw it in there because they know Alice has a wide following and to see if they could get at least a certain fan base to watch their crummy movie!

THAT, or to make it sound like something better than it is!

Or both! LOL! rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:04 pm
Huh... I haven't seen that movie yet, and I was kind of hesitant to just because over-sexualized (not a word?) of women does not make me a happy camper. ("What happened to dignity?! What happened to subtlety?! What happened to..?! etc... etc...") But this sort of makes me want to see it, just because I don't understand the comparison. O_o

I think, just from what little knowledge I have, the attempt to attract the Alice following sounds like the most viable explanation. @_@

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:24 pm
hahaha, I knew it was Sucker Punch before I even moused over the link... xD

Okay, I did think the movie was pretty silly (though some parts I really enjoyed), but I can actually see where they would have gotten the idea that they could compare it to Alice... or at least to American McGee's Alice, maybe. I mean it's the story of a girl who's lost inside of her own mind (in an asylum), who interacts with the caricatures she creates of people around her in order to bring some semblance of order to the madness inside her subconscious and eventually save herself-- at least mentally, if not physically. It's a pretty straight shot to American McGee, if not all the way to Lewis Carroll.

That being said, I think "Alice in Wonderland with machine guns" is one of the lamest ways to advertise a film.... although at least they're being honest about not being original. >_>

Also, what made me madder than anything about that movie: they totally ripped off the Big Daddy from Bioshock. ):<

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 am
I need to watch that movie someday, if only for the lulz. XD
I like watching bad movies. Heh.  

v-Vox

Green Star

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 pm
Hmmm... ah, I see what you mean, Night. That does sound Alicey... and interesting. I feel like I should see it now, since I do greatly love that 'theme'. Are they attempting to be overtly psychological about it, or was it all just sort of a backdrop thing they used to try and make it cool?

But I have to see, just seeing the DVD cover art on the internet... I'm surprised the advertising didn't run more along the lines of "Girls. Skirts. GO SEE IT."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm
Kind of both? haha. The "psychological salvation" theme is really prevalent throughout the entire movie (it kind of layers the levels of the subconscious like Inception to some degree) and she basically uses and morphs her surroundings into something that empowers her....

The concept is actually pretty cool, but it is obviously coupled with the silly Kill Bill-style graphic violence and lots of ladies in not-lots of clothing. hahaha

The Night Faery
Captain

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:29 pm
Oooh... I see. I haven't seen Inception, but I like the sound of the effort.

If only it wasn't so not-lots of clothing-y... stupid dramatic violence I can stand, but when I see that I end up just sitting through the movie with a sneer on my face that frightens young children and the elderly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm
Okay, I've seen this movie now.

And I have to say, I actually really liked it. All of the ridiculous (XD) fight scenes were perfectly in sync with the music, which made my OCD happy. And I was surprised that the sexualization I was expecting just wasn't there. I mean, I had a lot of very uneasy perceptions about what I would be seeing when I came to the understanding about the dances, but I loved that I never had to see them. Even the costumes weren't as bad as I'd been expecting... It wasn't Oscar material by any stretch, but I really, really liked it. Especially when I started thinking back over a lot of the ways the movie presented itself, such as the general absence of blood and such.

That being said, I think I understand what the quote was implying. Night, you summed it up pretty well. But, personally, I don't think there's a very strong allusion between Sucker Punch and Alice in Wonderland. Not that there weren't some very definite nods to Alice in the movie, but making nods is commonplace in modern movie making.

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Bollicina

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:45 am
I'll admit, when this film came out, I was like "Hm? Should I go see it?" Because I adore Emily Browning. But Vanessa Hudgen's face pisses me off, so as of yet I haven't seen it. But now I'm not sure if I want to. To compare something that, in my opinion, has only vague connections to Alice in Wonderland, to it, is just stupid.
Grr!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 pm
londerland
I'll admit, when this film came out, I was like "Hm? Should I go see it?" Because I adore Emily Browning. But Vanessa Hudgen's face pisses me off, so as of yet I haven't seen it. But now I'm not sure if I want to. To compare something that, in my opinion, has only vague connections to Alice in Wonderland, to it, is just stupid.
Grr!

Ah, well, if it makes you feel any better, she doesn't show up super often. And her ending isn't good..? XD  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games