Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dragonflight: An Alternative Pern (Old Guild)

Back to Guilds

A B/C Pern Roleplay 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Roleplay, Breedables 

Reply Archives
[Event] So You Want to be a Wingleader? - OPEN

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragonflight Pern
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:49 am
This will run October 26 through November 9
Starts: Noon @ Oct 26 2010
Ends: 9:00pm PST @ November 9 2010

Wings Shuffle
What: Need Two Wingleaders and Two Wingseconds for Malvren (1 Youth, 1 Senior); Need 1 Wingleader and 1 Wingsecond for Trine.

There’s been some shuffling among the ranks at both Malvren and Trine. There have been a few senior riders stepping down into retirement recently, due to reasons ranging from injury to exhaustion to feeling their age – and in stepping down they’ve become more available for Weyr-side organization but that leaves posts to be filled with the remaining wings!

Interviews are being done and prospective Wingleaders and Wingseconds are being ecouraged to come forth. There are two categories - those whose dragons are less then 5 turns and those who are older then 5 turns. The Young dragons generally train in Youth wings for a few years, learning the ebb and flow of a Fighting Wing and the drills, headed by their peers.

Youth Wings are leadership opportunities and usually last a few years – letting all new riders ease into the discipline of Wings without being overwhelmed. However, due to the nature of the Wingleadership, only Bronze, Brown, Silver, and Crimson can apply.

For the older dragons, their experience and familiarity with the fighting wings makes them eligible for Wingleadership or to become a Wingsecond. The end result of this event is to create three Player-Character Wings, including Wingleader and Wingsecond - two (one Youth, one Senior) for Malvren and one for Trine. Benden will also have a contest for a player-wing or two once there are enough dragons of the appropriate age.

From an OOC point of view, the various other colours will be sorted by staff members.

What is a Youth Wing
A Youth Wing is a Fighting Wing that practices and drills just like the other wings but consists of the younger dragons of the Weyr, usually between 1 and 5 turns of age. This allows for prospective leaders to gain some experience in leadership roles and helps forge bonds between the younger generations. Once the dragons hit 5 turns of age, they are integrated fully into the Senior wings. During a rotation on a Youth Wing, the young riders are still taught and mentored by the senior wings. Youth Wingleaders and Wingseconds also are expected to attend Wingleader meetings and the like – they are, for all intents and purposes, Wingleaders.

What is Required to be a Wingleader?
This is a contest. It will be judged on three factors: 1) Activity – you must be noticeably active to be considered; 2) Quality of RP; and 3) How you respond in the form(interview) and Prompt. Furthermore, roleplays lead by Wingleaders and Wingseconds are highly encouraged.

FAQ
1) This Rank Up contest is only open to Trine and Malvren characters. Benden's opportunity will come shortly in the future, be patient! Only Malvren Characters can apply for the Youth Wing.
2) Only Crimson, Brown, Bronze, and Silver can apply.
3) Fill out the Form and post it here.
4) You will be judged on IC and OOC factors, including but not limited to: Responsibility, Reliability, Activity, Quality of RP and Writing.
5) Once Promotions are announced, Ranks will be added to the appropriate certs and those characters have authority over other characters. Abuse of this will result in a demotion and barring from future promotions and have IC consequences.
6) Wingleaders and Wingseconds will also be more likely to have greater roles in the upcoming Metaplots, depending on how everything goes.
7) The Youth Wingleader and Wingsecond are responsible for learning drills from the Senior Wings and teaching them to the Youth Wing. The quality of the resulting wing formations reflects on their ability to lead. ORPs are encouraged.
8 ) We reserve the right not to promote anyone.
9) If you have questions, please post them in the Q&A Thread in the main forum.
10) Staff members cannot participate, due to the nature of the Judging.

The Form
To be considered for Rank Up, please fill out this form.
[size=18][b]Ranking Character Application[/b][/size]
[b]Character’s Name:[/b]
[b]Dragon’s Colour and Name:[/b]
[b]Dragon's Age:[/b]
[b]Rank Applying For:[/b] (Wingleader, Wingsecond, or Both)
[b]Reason for Applying:[/b] (Give both an IC and an OOC reason.)
[b]Link to Character Profile:[/b]
[b]Previous Roleplays:[/b] (How many RPs have you begun in Dragonflight? How many are finished, active, or abandoned? Link 1 RP you think best showcases your RP ability.)
[b]Why Should We Promote You?[/b] (Answer this ICly)

[b]Prompt[/b]
It is shortly after you’ve been promoted to Wingleader or Wingsecond and it seems as though there’s already some bickering among the stronger willed individuals. You’ve heard them speaking of you in negative tones, like gossips, and it’s certainly obvious that a period of adjustment still hasn’t come to a close. How do you handle such a situation, where your authority is still too new to garner deep respect?
[b]Prompt Response:[/b] (limit of 3 pages in Microsoft Word, permission to play NPCs)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:04 pm
Ranking Character Application
Character’s Name: Set'al
Dragon’s Colour and Name: Bronze Pipith
Dragon's Age: 6 Turns
Rank Applying For: Both (Pipith insists just Wingleader, but he can stfu.)
Reason for Applying: ICly, because Pipith thinks he's awesome and would make Set'al do it. OOCly...because Pipith thinks he's awesome? But really, because it would be fun! I love me some RP.
Link to Character Profile: Here!
Previous Roleplays: 5 - three finished, two active. Example!
Why Should We Promote You?
"We're good. We know all the drills and then some, Pipith's made sure of that." He had to give his dragon credit - he'd never known anyone, human or dragon, as motivated as Pipith. He more than made up for Set'al's own lack of ambition, although he kept that to himself. The goal was to sell that they were the best prospects, and that wasn't served by being self-deprecating. That included dwelling on the fact that they were new; everyone knew that, and mentioning it like it was a bad thing wouldn't get them anywhere.

Every time he so much as thought about it, Pipith reminded him to shut up and remember we're the best. Most of what he said was prompted by the bronze, who was the one who truly wanted them to be Wingleader, and was relying on Set'al to do his best to make that happen. "We'll make sure everyone else knows them too, and knows them well - better than well. We'll take our Wing and make it the best, in every way possible."

Maybe that was too overconfident? He didn't want them to think he was being condescending, telling them their Wings weren't already good in a roundabout way...that really wasn't how he meant it! "And we'll get better ourselves, too. We'll work as hard as we ask them too, harder even, and lead by example."

Prompt
It is shortly after you’ve been promoted to Wingleader or Wingsecond and it seems as though there’s already some bickering among the stronger willed individuals. You’ve heard them speaking of you in negative tones, like gossips, and it’s certainly obvious that a period of adjustment still hasn’t come to a close. How do you handle such a situation, where your authority is still too new to garner deep respect?
Prompt Response:

This is a disaster.

Set'al returned to the weyr he shared with Pipith, throwing himself on his bed with a groan. Why had he let his dragon talk him into this again? They were a brand new transfer, and shouldn't have a ranking role here so soon - which was exactly why he had let Pipith talk him into volunteering. He'd been absolutely sure they wouldn't gain the promotion, and had applied to satisfy His and get him to stop bothering him about it. Never in a million Turns had he expected to be chosen as a Wingleader! Maybe if they were still at Southern, but Trine? Not after the incident they'd had with Benden.

In spite of it, however, he and Pipith were now Wingleaders, and their Wingriders weren't the least bit happy with it. An outsider promoted instead of one of their own? He couldn't blame them for feeling as they did, but it was still sharding frustrating! And it had only gotten worse they asked him why he'd transferred. Set'al had done the only thing he could, and told them the truth - not that he had a sister who'd Impressed or something like that, but that his dragon had gotten into a fight with another.

Given recent events, it was a bad move, but he couldn't have lied to them. He was a terrible liar, and more importantly, this was his Wing! He owed them honesty, even if they didn't appreciate it. He'd tried to explain it, what Pipith's relationship with Terkath had been like, that the circumstances were entirely different, but it hadn't done any good. All they'd taken away from the tale was that this stranger had an aggressive bronze dragon, and what would happen when a gold rose here - or a crimson, or a green for that matter? There was no telling what would set him off!

They are wrong, Mine, Pipith griped to his rider, And I told all of Theirs as much.

It won't work, Pip. They don't want to listen. Set'al rolled over to face the little bronze, whose eyes were a whirling mix of red and orange.

But they must listen! We are their Wingleader, we are in charge of them.

It doesn't work that way. The man reached out to rub his dragon's nose. We can tell them what to do in drills, but we can't tell them what to think of us. They have to decide that themselves.

But...don't they see that we're the best? We will make them the best Wing in the Weyr! And one day, they will be the Weyrleader's Wing, and they will be proud.

I know, I know. Set'al sighed. But we're a long way off from that, and they don't see it yet, and they wouldn't see it the way you do. We're still intruders here.

Then what will we do? How will we make them see?

We'll wait it out, and we'll show them. We can't change what they think by telling them not to think it; we have to prove them wrong by what we do. They'll come around, we just have to work hard and be patient. It was easier said than done, to ignore negative gossip about himself and especially his dragon, but what other choice did they have?

They'd signed up for this, after all.  

Meepfur
Crew

elfgurl1234

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:44 am
Character’s Name: Crystal
Dragon’s Colour and Name: Silver Argenth
Dragon's Age: 8
Rank Applying For: Both (Wingleader preferred)
Reason for Applying: IC: *taken straight from journal* “Crystal is an ambitious sort, and is not content with mediocrity. Had she not been Searched, she would still be training very hard to rank up in her craft. And as a dragonrider now she is not content to remain a mere wingrider. It may take much time, but she fully intends to reach the rank of wingleader one day with her dragon. Although for the time being perhaps wingsecond might be a more appropriate initial goal.”

OOC: Crystal is an OC of mine who from her very creation I planned to someday have as (hopefully) a wingleader. She’s also my only character who would even consider or want such a position.
Link to Character Profile: Link here
Previous Roleplays:
Roleplays by me in DF:

Total: 69
Finished: 50
Active: 4
Solos: 6
Inactive by Me: 1 (temporarily)
Inactive by Others: 8

Roleplays by Crystal specifically:

Total: 4
Finished: 2
Active: 1
Inactive by Me: 1 (temporarily)

Example: (Since Crystal has not yet had much opportunity for roleplay, for my example I present you with one of my other character's RPs.)

Why Should We Promote You? “Because we have what it takes,” she answered with a pleasant smile. “Silver rider wingleaders are generally uncommon, true, but that does not make us incapable. Argenth and I know all of the drills well enough to fly and teach them in our sleep, and we are not afraid to face criticism at the hands of our peers. We realize full-well that a wingleader’s job is not an easy one, but we are well-prepared to take on that responsibility. Let us have the opportunity to lead and better our wing.” The black-haired woman continued to smile pleasantly, but there was no sense of softness or weakness about her. Only a strong and easy confidence. “You will not be disappointed.”

Prompt

Prompt Response:

“I still can’t believe she’s been put in charge of the wing. Of all people.”

“I know what you mean. You know, I’ll bet that stiff-necked b***h probably hasn’t even been properly laid a day in her life. Would explain a lot.”

“I don’t doubt you there. She and that silver of hers can feel free to shove their smug attitudes right up their—“

“Is there a problem, gentlemen?” The two riders turned around sharply to see their new wingleader present right behind them. She wore a pleasant smile, but there was a certain dangerous look behind her blue eyes that was not hard to miss.

The men appeared partially chagrinned to have been caught in their conversation, but still held a somewhat defiant air about them. “No Ma’am.”

“Good. I would suggest you resume your duties then.” She watched as the two men begrudgingly walked away, seemingly unconcerned by the incident that had just transpired.

They still do not respect you, Argenth remarked, agitated by the things they dared to utter about His. We have done them no wrong and the wing has done well under our lead. Why do they still persist? He could understand in the beginning, to a point, but even still?

Do not concern yourself with them. They will learn in time, she replied, eyes finally leaving the two figures as she continued along the way to her weyr. Not everyone handles change well, and even the newer Weyrs of Malvren and Trine are not completely immune to old prejudices.

You speak of your gender.

It is certainly a possibility. Given that most wingleaders are brown or bronze riders, they are also usually male.

We are better than any brown or bronze rider.

Crystal smiled at her dragon’s remark, blue eyes softening just a touch. There is no question in that. They will see in time. We will continue to lead a good wing and keep them in top form. Whether or not they ‘like’ us in the meantime is none of my concern. So long as they were respected, that was all that mattered.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:23 pm
Character’s Name: Sanza
Dragon’s Colour and Name: Crimson Maomith
Dragon's Age: 17
Rank Applying For: Both. Sanza's ambition doesn't stop at second place.
Reason for Applying: ICly, if there's a need, Sanza wants it filled by someone capable, as soon as possible. She's been riding for 17 Turns now. She knows her way around a wing. OOCly, Pern was one of my first loves and still is. I really enjoy the people in the shop and the fact that it's somewhat guided by plot. I'd love to help be a part of that.
Link to Character Profile: Journal
Previous Roleplays: 6 - 2 complete, 4 in progress. A link for Sanza and M'cel
Why Should We Promote You? "You're looking for experienced riders who are well-trained and will make certain that their wingriders are the same. We are and we will. Maomith and I are a solid, reliable team. We may have a reputation for being hard and some might find us too strict or demanding, but if that's so, I say that we're exactly what they need."

Prompt
Prompt Response: (limit of 3 pages in Microsoft Word, permission to play NPCs)

She'd worked them hard. Sanza's wingriders could never claim that she went easy on them, and today's run of drills had been particularly grueling. She didn't let up and made them repeat the same formation, calling out corrections that she expected fixed on a quarter-mark. If they misjudged their distances, or overshot their positions, she grounded the entire wing, walked them through it again, and then ordered everyone back into the sky.

There was grumbling. There had been since she'd taken over. If the wingleadership needed a boost, why couldn't they have gotten someone with a personality? A sense of humor? Someone missing the stick the size of a tree branch up her backside?

Sanza gave them time to rest a bit, get their dragons unstrapped and bathed if they wanted it. She took advantage of the time and washed, herself, then changed. Not attitude, not expectation, but out of her usual clothing and into something she thought might make her seem more pleasant. Softer. She put on the soft sissal blouse with the full sleeves she'd been given as a Turnday gift. She wore sandals, the sort she'd only use in her hollow, rather than the utilitarian boots that some had commented must be fused to her skin.

Then she had Maomith send out a summons to have the riders meet her outside. Not a request, absolutely mandatory.

She beat them all down to where she'd asked to have tables and a small course of refreshments set up. Perched on the edge of a table as casually as she could manage, she watched them file in, frowns in place, and watched said frowns melt away again. When they'd all arrived, she slid to her feet and gestured at the tables, food and drink waiting. "Sit," she invited. "Eat and drink your fill. You worked hard, today. You deserve it." Most importantly, "You did well."

As they settled, she addressed the curious, almost wary looks. "I know that I've pushed you. I know I seem hard to please. In truth, I am, and I won't apologize for it. I work you hard, though, because I believe--no, I know--that you are capable men and women and you want to be the best wingriders you can be. I don't consider any of you lacking. I am proud to lead this wing and to have each and every one of you flying beside me. I'm not one to gush with praise..." At that, the wing as a whole chuckled, groaned and nodded knowingly. Sanza smiled a little, wryly, and ducked her head, genuinely amused. "I don't give praise freely and I don't pat shoulders, but I have put my faith in all of you, and all I ask is that you return yours to me. Some of us," she said, glancing briefly at a few of the more vocal complainers, "may not ever be true friends, but I will always stand for you. I will help you, in any way that I can. Even if you don't appreciate it," she joked.

"So eat, drink and relax tonight. We'll drill again day after next, but for now, enjoy."  

Samuel Carlin

Aged Elocutionist

10,965 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items