Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply The Sibylla: MODERN MYTH
Zeus vs Odin!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:38 am
Sky God vs Sky God!

This is basically a recent match-up i found on the factpile site, actually, this time this match isn't one of the matches on my suggested list.

Anyone has food for thought for the upcoming fight?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 am
I gave those Odin supporters a little piece of my mind. mrgreen

"Ahahahaha! Are people really choosing Odin over Zeus due to their morals??? While Zeus may have raped pretty princess (and the occasional prince), Odin is no better. May I remind you what the freaking VIKINGS did to the villages they conquered? Do any of you self-righteous Debby downers realize the things those brutes did under the name of Odin? While Zeus may have raped, at least he didn’t burn down cities, put all the people he didn’t kill into slavery, and then run off with all his victims’ hard earned possessions. Really, I don’t think Zeus’ morals should be put into question here. Zeus was the god of justice for a reason, something that is lost on modern critics today.

As to the immortality issue, Zeus beats Odin there as well. Zeus was born immortal, and will never meet Death, ever. The Olympians were even referred to as the ‘deathless gods’ on numerous occasions. Odin and those who live in Asgard have to take what amounts to a beauty regiment to retain their longevity, and let’s not forget: they all die in the end at Ragnarok. Then again, wiliness and pain tolerance is another issue.

On the topic of weapons and who’s got the moves, its a tie. Both are regarded as the mightiest warriors in their pantheon, blah blah blah. Odin has a mighty arsenal and Zeus can strike down whomever whenever he wants, from any place on Earth. Plus, Zeus freaking ripped up a mountain with his bare hands, he deserve bad a** points just for that.

Now here’s the clincher: Zeus succeeded in defeating all his enemies, plus the most destructive force of Nature ever born. If the Frost Giants are just as powerful as the Titans, then what in the name of Aphrodite’s Girdle is taking Odin so long? Oh, and just one more thing about morals. Zeus slept around to keep away from his family, Odin went out and murdered things for fun."

Should I have stopped myself???  

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100

Melios the Hoplite

10,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:49 am
Nope. Go back and teach those psycho killers whats up.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:12 pm
Thank you sir, for speaking your mind.
I suggested when it came to their respective descendants, though, but that is best saved for another time, i should have thought it. sweatdrop
I wasn't out to stop you, i was just trying to point out food for thought, but what in the names of the stars is taking them so stinkin' long to set up the match-up between Arthur's family and Siegfried's family, dare i ask?

Although in the match-up between their respective descendants...Too much pressure, too much weight, too much..*goes to pie oneself with key lime pie(Aphrodite's favorite pie flavor) that has the dosage meant to knock people out*  

Javier Cross

Melios the Hoplite

10,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:54 pm
Javier Cross
Thank you sir, for speaking your mind.
I suggested when it came to their respective descendants, though, but that is best saved for another time, i should have thought it. sweatdrop
I wasn't out to stop you, i was just trying to point out food for thought, but what in the names of the stars is taking them so stinkin' long to set up the match-up between Arthur's family and Siegfried's family, dare i ask?

Although in the match-up between their respective descendants...Too much pressure, too much weight, too much..*goes to pie oneself with key lime pie(Aphrodite's favorite pie flavor) that has the dosage meant to knock people out*
No wonder I feel sleepy when I eat key lime pie..  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:27 pm
i agress with milos you should go back and smite them... 3nodding  

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:00 pm
history goddess
i agress with milos you should go back and smite them... 3nodding

*while asleep and sleep-talking*

Now i wonder when they'll hurry up and post group combat between Arthur's family and Siegfried's family, by now?'

*goes to sleep-walk on two legs*  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:20 am
Odin is not a sky god, nor is he associated with thunder or justice. Odin is the god of War, Death, Magic, Wisdom, Prophecy, Poetry and the Wild Hunt. The Greeks regarded Thor as the equivalent to Zeus, not Odin, despite the Grim-God being head of the Aesir. In any case, from an anthropological perspective, you can't judge Viking morals by Greek standards any more than you can judge Greek morals by Viking standards.

As to the two deities competing in a fight, nobody can say who would turn out on top. The Vitterfolk of Scandinavia aren't gods in the same sense as the Hellenistic Pantheon. Zeus is only all-powerful because the Greeks themselves liked to think of their gods in such terms. Odin, on the other hand, represents the Viking ideal, which glorifies doom and considers death in the heat of battle to be the ultimate honor. The fact that he as a deity is nonetheless doomed to die in the Ragnarok is simply a commentary on Norse attitudes and beliefs, not an indication of power. Odin is, in many senses, a far more relatable and profound deity than Zeus.

By the way, not all the Aesir die in the Ragnarok. Vidarr, Vali, Modi, Magni, Njord, a resurrected Baldur and Hod - as well as the humans Lif and Lifthrasir - all survive and renew the world after Surtr destroys it.  

Akherontis
Captain

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 am
Akherontis
Odin is not a sky god, nor is he associated with thunder or justice. Odin is the god of War, Death, Magic, Wisdom, Prophecy, Poetry and the Wild Hunt. The Greeks regarded Thor as the equivalent to Zeus, not Odin, despite the Grim-God being head of the Aesir. In any case, from an anthropological perspective, you can't judge Viking morals by Greek standards any more than you can judge Greek morals by Viking standards.

As to the two deities competing in a fight, nobody can say who would turn out on top. The Vitterfolk of Scandinavia aren't gods in the same sense as the Hellenistic Pantheon. Zeus is only all-powerful because the Greeks themselves liked to think of their gods in such terms. Odin, on the other hand, represents the Viking ideal, which glorifies doom and considers death in the heat of battle to be the ultimate honor. The fact that he as a deity is nonetheless doomed to die in the Ragnarok is simply a commentary on Norse attitudes and beliefs, not an indication of power. Odin is, in many senses, a far more relatable and profound deity than Zeus.

By the way, not all the Aesir die in the Ragnarok. Vidarr, Vali, Modi, Magni, Njord, a resurrected Baldur and Hod - as well as the humans Lif and Lifthrasir - all survive and renew the world after Surtr destroys it.

rolleyes What can I say, I'm very highly biased here. dramallama However, I'm surprised this didn't come from Davra. rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 pm
*still sleeping*

What do you mean that Sindavra has not appeared mentioning something about Siegfried, yet?

*Sleep-talks to random images*  

Javier Cross

Sindavra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:48 pm
Javier Cross
*still sleeping*

What do you mean that Sindavra has not appeared mentioning something about Siegfried, yet?

I'm afraid that unless you want me to verify what Akherontis has already said, I can't tell you much more.
If you mean Sigurdr who slew Fafnir, I could tell you more about him.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 am
Sindavra
Javier Cross
*still sleeping*

I'm afraid that unless you want me to verify what Akherontis has already said, I can't tell you much more.
If you mean Sigurdr who slew Fafnir, I could tell you more about him.

*starting to wake up*

I wish to know more about Sigurdr, himself, who slew Fafnir and wounded up bathing in his blood, please?
It would be really helpful before i make suggestions back on Factpile, really.

*makes an effort to stand up*  

Javier Cross

The Sibylla: MODERN MYTH

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces