Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
i hate conventions con therapy please! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

traffic in the sky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:34 am
I dont really like cons anymore because everytime i go to a con people tend to glare at me or just laugh at me. I can't understand why
i'm 14 and im 150 cm T . T im so short.. crying
I dont cosplay ( well not at the moment)
im not overweight ( even if that was the case they still shouldnt be laughing)

with the experiences @ I just cant stand most of the people who go to cons, they pretend to be nice and som act like their drunk

I want to enjoy and like cons again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:51 am
Ok, here's my advice, when you go just don't pay any attention to the people that stare or stuff like that cuz those are the jerks and a-holes that are described in another thread, the whole purpose of a con is to have fun and enjoy it as much as possible, there are people that make it difficult to enjoy like I said, it's best not to pay them any attention  

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 am
ignore the elitest.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am
Ignore the douchebags and find some cool people to hang out with. wink  

Maruul

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 pm
HeavenzBird
I dont really like cons anymore because everytime i go to a con people tend to glare at me or just laugh at me. I can't understand why
i'm 14 and im 150 cm T . T im so short.. crying
I dont cosplay ( well not at the moment)
im not overweight ( even if that was the case they still shouldnt be laughing)

with the experiences @ I just cant stand most of the people who go to cons, they pretend to be nice and som act like their drunk

I want to enjoy and like cons again!
aww that suxs, short girls are cute though (not hitting on u). I would just ignore them. Just hang with ur friends, if the person is a jerk they are not worth getting mad over especially if they are strangers. Just try 2 enjoy urself as much as possible and remember 2 rest because cons can get annoying or boring sometimes. If u are in a hotel room try 2 keep it at a cool temperature it makes things feel less irritating.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:36 pm
Whenever someone stares at me in an annoying way, I just make a weird face back at them. Sure, I won't look pretty, but keeps some people away from me. c:  

Aurora Sonata

Cute Hero

Herr Skit

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:45 pm
Like everyone else has said: Ignore them. You're there to have fun.

I remember a couple years back (200 cool , I almost gave up on cons. At the time I didn't have a fandom or any thing that I really liked about them at the time. My experience then, because nothing truly interested me, was sub-par.

So I was going to take a break and stop going, since I'd had a bad year. Then the people in my anime club started talking about going, and I got sort of excited for it again. My GSA had also mentioned a series, that I looked into. Got hooked. 2009 was a brilliant and fun year for me. And I'm looking forward to the ones for 2010.

So, what that story up there is trying to say is, find something you like. Geek over it. Find others who will geek over it. THIS is a BIG part of conventions; so big that when they're missing, you really notice it.

And if neither of those work, take a break? It's a lot of money to spend for something you're not enjoying yourself at.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:57 pm
Ditto to everyone.

If you want to cosplay, the convention cosplay forums are usually nice places to pre-meet people. There is usually a In-Progress thread where people see and support your cosplays in the making or cosplays in the gathering if you don't make them yourself.
There are usually threads that are dedicated to cosplays from a certain anime or manga. There, people arrange pre-con meet-ups, photoshoots, and plans for conventions follies.

Most of the elitists try to tone themselves down in the forums because they can get in trouble more easily. At least, that's how the forums that I hang around in are.

I have that problem too. Though the past cons I have been to... I either stuck with a small group of friends I went there with or I ended up making friends because I got lost, cosplayed, or sat next to someone that wanted to talk about something... manly the event we were at or cosplay XP.

Also, from experience, if you cosplay... you are bound to have more fun because people will come to you!
Don't be afraid to ask for photos or directions either. I've made many convention buddies just from asking a question.  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

MisaMaiValentine

7,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:51 pm
If people laugh at you or make fun of you laugh with them and that's how you make friends. smile I get laughed t all the time because I always cosplay guys and I can't get my chest flat at all. People laugh and I laugh with them. If people are bugging you just walk away and no one will care. And always go with friends. smile It's more fun that way ^-^  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:59 pm
Charmful IncarnatE
Ditto to everyone.

If you want to cosplay, the convention cosplay forums are usually nice places to pre-meet people. There is usually a In-Progress thread where people see and support your cosplays in the making or cosplays in the gathering if you don't make them yourself.
There are usually threads that are dedicated to cosplays from a certain anime or manga. There, people arrange pre-con meet-ups, photoshoots, and plans for conventions follies.

Most of the elitists try to tone themselves down in the forums because they can get in trouble more easily. At least, that's how the forums that I hang around in are.

I have that problem too. Though the past cons I have been to... I either stuck with a small group of friends I went there with or I ended up making friends because I got lost, cosplayed, or sat next to someone that wanted to talk about something... manly the event we were at or cosplay XP.

Also, from experience, if you cosplay... you are bound to have more fun because people will come to you!
Don't be afraid to ask for photos or directions either. I've made many convention buddies just from asking a question.

the thing is when ever i walk past people they laugh at me and when i ask some ppl for their picture, they look pissed off and annoyed : /  

traffic in the sky

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:20 pm
HeavenzBird

the thing is when ever i walk past people they laugh at me and when i ask some ppl for their picture, they look pissed off and annoyed : /

Are you asking them at odd times? Like when they are doing something, obviously resting, or having a conversation?

What conventions are you going to that has people laughing at you? It doesn't sound like a fun convention. Oh... are you on that 4chan site? I heard that's a horrible crowd that hangs out on there and like +80% of the stuff on there is bashing other people.

I know I have witnessed a few people that point and laugh at the emo/goth kids that go all out. Some even laugh at the people that are way too smelly or are way too friendly and loud.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 pm
Charmful IncarnatE
HeavenzBird

Are you asking them at odd times? Like when they are doing something, obviously resting, or having a conversation?

What conventions are you going to that has people laughing at you? It doesn't sound like a fun convention. Oh... are you on that 4chan site? I heard that's a horrible crowd that hangs out on there and like +80% of the stuff on there is bashing other people.

I know I have witnessed a few people that point and laugh at the emo/goth kids that go all out. Some even laugh at the people that are way too smelly or are way too friendly and loud.
That is horrible, ppl should be made fun off because of there friendliness. Smell maybe but u don't laugh at them. 4Chan thrives on failure, it gives them something 2 do.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 am
K master of flames
Charmful IncarnatE
HeavenzBird

That is horrible, ppl should be made fun off because of there friendliness. Smell maybe but u don't laugh at them. 4Chan thrives on failure, it gives them something 2 do.

I meant friendly to mean those overly bubbled, screaming, free hugging, running-glomping fangirls/boys. I dunno what they are really called.
I just try to avoid them because they hurt me crying ... I don't like strangers touching me, I can't say "no" to someone who wants to have clean fun, and their loudness hurts. But I don't talk bad about them and laugh. I just avoid them since they usually roam in clusters.
But I've heard others point and laugh, comparing them to STDs and other things. I've also heard people talk about how they dress like "Hot Topic Nekos".
Now, I must admit that some smell... and hugging can rub off their smell onto your cosplays. But I soak mine down in Fabreeze! Trying to rub my smell off on them! Oh yeah!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 pm
My advice, go with friends you know well and like, and that like you back.

Next, cosplay when able. It'll make you stand out less. Casual clothes stand out quite a lot.

Lastly, flip 'em off or make faces back or just ignore the morons/jerks. They're not worth your time to worry about. Go grab some cool stuff from vendors, watch some screenings and sit in some panels, and just do what you want. They don't like it, they can go choke on ... something painful to choke on. 3nodding  

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

Irrlich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:18 pm
It might be that some find it odd to see such a young lady attending a con alone (assuming) you are alone.
I'm not sure what it's like in america, but over here people under 16 are rare, and usually accompanied by an elder, or in a group of friends. That's why they might be stairing.

Maybe because you feel uncomfortable due to the stares it shows on your face and in your body language, which makes you easy prey for some arses. Sadly, not everyone is nice.

Try going to another con, see if the people are different, and try dragging some friends along smile  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff