Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
Lewis Carroll a.k.a. Jack the Ripper

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is Lewis Carroll really Jack the Ripper?
  Yea
  Nay
View Results

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:23 pm
Casebook.org's article on Lewis Carroll as a Suspect.

I found this the other day and had to share it. Someone actually got a book published arguing that Carroll was *gasp* Jack the Ripper! Of course the article goes on to point out how silly this was (which, in this poster's opinion, it very much is) but I find the extra background information and analysis of Carroll's probability of being Jack the Ripper pretty interesting.

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm
Oh my, how did you find this? Which were you looking up first, Carroll or Jack? XD

Indeed, the "evidence" he presents is quite a stretch, and it seems doubtful that anything more convincing could be uncovered from Dodgson's past, but it's an interesting theory that I can honestly say I've never heard before-- and probably won't ever hear again-- and if there had been more reasonable (or at least more chilling) support then I might be a little more interested in reading the book itself....

It sort of makes me want to run off and find bizarre connections between mysterious people. It doesn't seem to be too hard.... I bet Sweeney Todd was actually Edgar Allan Poe. Or Charles Dickens. After all, he's the one who wrote about "preparers of cannibalic pastry." XD

The Night Faery
Captain

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:39 pm
Whatever evidence this person think they have that proves Carroll is "jack the ripper" Is probably just falsified information. No one will probably ever be able to prove who the infamous Killer was, as all evidence is long gone by now, lost to history. That anyone would think the author of a beloved children's book is a muderous prostitue killer makes me laugh.

I'm sure you're right night about never seeing anything like that again....  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:14 pm
Actually, examining the evidence, many criminologists suspect that Jack the Ripper was actually a woman to begin with, and then there were many copy cat crimes after that.  

Noxious Weed

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:17 am
I've heard of this before, but never believed it anyway.

Here's a question, if it indeed had been true, how would that of effected peoples opinions on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and his other works?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:43 am
Ok I confess, I was researching Jack and on Casebook's suspects page they have a listing including Lewis Carroll.

I'd bet that if he was indeed the killer people would think his works to be a metaphor of some kind telling children to commit murder... somehow... It would certainly cut down on the number of people who read them as children lit. and raise the number of people who read it looking for some hidden psychopathic message. It would certainly put a whole new twist on his photography hobby.

Irish Stout

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:16 pm
This is indeed quite a surprise. I would never suspect that amazing man tho.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:39 pm
for my senior paper in high school, i did it on jack the ripper. there are many stories and lore about him. i found it very interesting about it. also i went to like one college class. (long story) but it was intro into serial killers. which our topic was also jack. very interesting. idk i love to study why people do what they do. its all very interesting. and hearing about lewis carrol being a possible suspect is also very interesting. hmm m i will have to look more into it lolz.  

A DEADLY KITT3N

10,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:32 pm
As a criminologist in training, I'm loving that this has come up! The evidence is interesting, but there is lots of 'evidence' that has developed/been found/connected to a wide variety of people from the time period. Suspects have always been varied, and if you look at the various psychological profiles that people have drawn up you can often find many discrepancies. So of course we'll never know his true identity with 100% certainty...

I think I agree with the author of the article; interesting, but naaaaah. ^_^

All In the Golden Afternoon

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff