Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
~*~Guild Suggestions~*~ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 pm
To help improve this Guild.

I think it's about time that this guild had a place for members to offer up any advice or suggestions on how to improve the guild. Do you have any thoughts and ideas that have just been squirming inside? Well have no fear, now you can share it with the entire guild. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves what direction you want the guild to go in, how do we make it better, what things should be avoided. Basically anything that comes to mind.

***I did actually have a really good design with Uncle Sam and a couple of interfaith images, but than it all froze and crashed so you get stuck with the default snowman. Deal with it pirate  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:26 am
I think it would be nice if there were specific subforums for Eastern religions like Buddhism and Hinduism. At the moment they're all just under "other belief systems."

Julri

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:12 pm
Julri
I think it would be nice if there were specific subforums for Eastern religions like Buddhism and Hinduism. At the moment they're all just under "other belief systems."

That was something I was considering back when I opened the Guild. I think it's a great idea but from my perspective it all depends on whether its worth the cost. I don't want to spend money on opening new subforums unless I'm sure that they will be used. I was also thinking of breaking up the pagan subforum too.

Any other thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:33 pm
Semiremis
Julri

That was something I was considering back when I opened the Guild. I think it's a great idea but from my perspective it all depends on whether its worth the cost. I don't want to spend money on opening new subforums unless I'm sure that they will be used. I was also thinking of breaking up the pagan subforum too.

I would like to see this too and would be willing to donate the gold for it.
But I don't think it would get much use. Unless I missed someone, I don't think we have anyone in the guild who practices Hinduism, do we?
And I've only seen one or two Buddhists.
Though we could always recruit new people.

Though guild activity seems like it has been kind of low recently.
Everyone's probably busy with finals and all of those lovely papers that pile up before winter break.

brainnsoup
Crew

Dapper Shapeshifter

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 pm
Ban evangelism outright. I can't stand it when someone tells others how to believe without some heavily intellectual basis for it.

Its one thing to say "now, this part of this literature/tenant/practice that I follow says this, so I try to live by it this way". It's another to preach and preach and preach.... and this isn't about any Christians I've seen here lately, nor about the nomenclature debates I've participated in previously.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:06 pm
Semiremis
Julri

I'm pretty sure the only thing you can do with gold donated directly to the guild is to make sub forums and send announcements, so you could just use the gold already donated to the guild for any new sub forums as there's not much else you can do with the donations.

Oh, and I think breaking up some of the current sub forums into multiple forums would be a wonderful idea.

Julri

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:38 pm
Julri
Semiremis
Julri

I'm pretty sure the only thing you can do with gold donated directly to the guild is to make sub forums and send announcements, so you could just use the gold already donated to the guild for any new sub forums as there's not much else you can do with the donations.

Oh, and I think breaking up some of the current sub forums into multiple forums would be a wonderful idea.

I don't think there has been any gold donated to the Guild sweatdrop I don't mind paying for it myself though. Any suggestions by any of you on how to break down the 'pagan' and 'all others' subforums?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 pm
Semiremis
Julri
Semiremis
Julri

I don't think there has been any gold donated to the Guild sweatdrop I don't mind paying for it myself though. Any suggestions by any of you on how to break down the 'pagan' and 'all others' subforums?

It says on the front page how much gold there is in the guild account. I think it's enough for a couple of subforums.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how the best way to break down the forums would be. As far as the Pagan subforum goes, perhaps we could just make separate subforums for the most common Pagan groups in the guild, like if there are a lot of Wiccans we could make a Wicca subforum. We could probably do the same with other religions like Christianity, such as making separate subforums for Mormonism or Catholicism. And as far as the "others" section goes, we could take out Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, and such. Of course, all of this would take so long that for now maybe we should just make subforums for whichever groups have the most people in the guild.

Julri

ncsweet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:04 pm
From someone who has been a captain/vice-captain/crew in several guilds, the less subforums the better. I realize this guild is a bit different (in that it makes sense to have it somewhat divided up), but general groupings are probably fine.

Adding an Eastern one would probably be fine, since there isn't one that covers those particular paths, but I don't think that (at least at this point) that Paganism would need to be divided up any further. If it starts getting too crowded people can always label their threads with what specific Pagan religion it relates to. For example:

[NEO-PAGAN] How do you honor deity?

or

[ASATRU] Are the NNV relevant to you?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:41 am
I noticed that we have a "catch all" sub-forum for everything that doesn't already have its own sub-Forum. I was wondering would threads about morality go there as well?

It seems (to me, anyway) that since we felt the need to put "Morality" in our guild name alongside "Religion" that we should also have a sub-forum devoted to the discussion and debate of morality.

I, personally, much prefer to discuss the nature of morality over religion or religions and I think it would be a good addition to the guild.  

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:08 am
DaikonNairu -Ren-
I noticed that we have a "catch all" sub-forum for everything that doesn't already have its own sub-Forum. I was wondering would threads about morality go there as well?

It seems (to me, anyway) that since we felt the need to put "Morality" in our guild name alongside "Religion" that we should also have a sub-forum devoted to the discussion and debate of morality.

I, personally, much prefer to discuss the nature of morality over religion or religions and I think it would be a good addition to the guild.

Issues on morality can go in the main subforum for now, I'm planning on adding new/changing old subforums I'm just not sure how to break it up yet.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am
Semiremis
DaikonNairu -Ren-

Issues on morality can go in the main subforum for now, I'm planning on adding new/changing old subforums I'm just not sure how to break it up yet.

Never-mind, I added a separate sub-forum for morality.  

Semiremis
Captain

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 pm
Semiremis
Never-mind, I added a separate sub-forum for morality.

Thank you very much! 3nodding But more importantly, thank you for listening to my suggestion. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:53 am
I don't know how much interest there actually is in the subject, I know of at least one person, but I was wondering what everyone thought of dedicating a subforum or topic specifically to mythology? I was thinking it might belong here simply because myths were often the basis for ancient religious beliefs.

For instance if I were to speak on the myths of say Shoshone Indians. Most of them revolved around the exploits of Coyote the trickster to explain different aspects of life such as menstruation, death, etc.  

Lateralus Helica

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:58 am
Lateralus Helica
I don't know how much interest there actually is in the subject, I know of at least one person, but I was wondering what everyone thought of dedicating a subforum or topic specifically to mythology?
This pickled vegetable...

Oh ******** Yeah!
biggrin
Lets do that! I'll donate! How much does the guild need?

... could kick your a** !!

Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces