Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Secularization of Holidays Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Totrue-Tufaar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 pm
I recall many criticisms about holidays such as Christmas and Easter. A while ago I began to recall flack about ever publishing or showing religious content about them even though that was supposed to be the primary focus. The criticism will probably end when people stop trying and they become like the Saint Days of Valentine and Patrick, long been converted source of capital, monetary and political, respectively. What is your opinion on this matter?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 pm
Do you wanna know what the Romans used to do on Valentine's Day?

They used to have women run around naked while they whipped them on the butt. True story, my Roman historian professor told me.

Really, that holiday had nothing to do with a saint to begin with.  

In Medias Res IV

Totrue-Tufaar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:33 pm
Hmmm. Holidays seem to only improve. Alright, you win. And personally, I care nothing of Saints. Some seem a bit dubious.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:55 am
In Medias Res IV

Of course not, he wasn't even a saint before he lived or after he died.

It is the holy day in his name, it now is quite clearly related to him.  

CH1YO

vampirate tsukinu

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 am
In Medias Res IV
Do you wanna know what the Romans used to do on Valentine's Day?

They used to have women run around naked while they whipped them on the butt. True story, my Roman historian professor told me.

neutral  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 pm
All holidays are extremely commercialized. You can't even get one finished and they're setting up store displays for the next.  

Boudica Celtic Queen

8,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Allsevendeadlysins

Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:14 pm
I believe everyone should only have personal days of celebration. Anniversaries, birthdays and such. Things that matter to YOU are holidays. The others are just optional.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:52 pm
Bouidicca
All holidays are extremely commercialized. You can't even get one finished and they're setting up store displays for the next.

All? In what country?
I can't recal the last time I saw Epiphany or St. Andrew's Day being commercialized, but that might just be my locale.  

Nines19

ncsweet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:32 pm
I worked in retail for many years and it was supremely depressing to note when they started setting up for various holidays. Last year I think we started putting Christmas stuff out in late September. It's pretty sickening.

I don't celebrate (or don't feel called to celebrate) many of the holidays that I grew up with, and the commercialization is a big part of it. Easter and Christmas are probably my two biggest pet peeves and if I could get away with it I'd not celebrate either. Having kids makes that a bit difficult though.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:09 am
I see holidays as opportunities for the secular world to collect more money. Christmas was always a time for giving at our house, which was fun. Easter was exciting for me in childhood also. We should give honor where honor is due; most times it means celebrations which include things that cost; and every year things seem to get better, bigger and more costly. I gave saints attention only for educational reasons I do not celebrate them.  

quietstorm 2

Clean Member

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm
I have no problem with the secularization of religious holidays since they tend to bring families together at least once or twice every year which is good unless you have one of those families who can't be together without raising everyone's blood pressure. The commercialization of holidays is what's up for question in my mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm
it aint necessarily the secularization of holidays i have a problem with, it's the secularization of everything.
besides people throwing stinks about nativity scenes on public property, but i heard something about atheists wanting the state or people to take the crosses off the road for people who died in car (usually drunk driving) accidents because they didn't believe in Jesus and didn't want to see anything remotely related to him on the roads because that's 'cramming religion down their throat'
but holidays, it's going to be really hard to secularize christmas (or x-mas whatever you want to call it) and easter because their roots are so far dug into religion. no amount of santa claus or easter bunny can change that.  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm
SchizoSpazz
it aint necessarily the secularization of holidays i have a problem with, it's the secularization of everything.

They're not secularizing churches or holy sites, are they? Why is this a problem?

Quote:
besides people throwing stinks about nativity scenes on public property, but i heard something about atheists wanting the state or people to take the crosses off the road for people who died in car (usually drunk driving) accidents because they didn't believe in Jesus and didn't want to see anything remotely related to him on the roads because that's 'cramming religion down their throat'

I think some atheists where I live actually put those crosses up themselves. In this form (similar in fact to some war cemeteries) they've come to symbolise to many not Christ, but death. They certainly mean that to me and have done since I was a kid.

I like them. They're a reminder to be careful. There was a stink here a while ago about them but it was because they were "distracting to drivers" or something.

Quote:
but holidays, it's going to be really hard to secularize christmas (or x-mas whatever you want to call it) and easter because their roots are so far dug into religion. no amount of santa claus or easter bunny can change that.

But some of the cultural elements existed prior to Christmas being celebrated. Take the religion out and the cultural elements - gathering and feasting, for example - are still there.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:06 am
I have to say, on the whole, I like holidays. It's a guaranteed time where I actually have enough time off of work to go visit my family (who are a couple states away, about an 8 hour drive, so I need time off to see them). The problem with personal holidays is that, generally, you aren't granted that luxury for them, and even if you do, you're not paid for it unless you dip into your personal vacation time. Some of us don't get vacation time.

As far as the religious aspect of those holidays... I'm not really one to pitch a fit for someone celebrating their beliefs, public or no, just please don't pitch a fit when I celebrate in my way, which is secular, because I am an Atheist. Christmas and Easter were pagan holidays long before they were Christian holidays, so celebrate it how you want in your churches, but let's not make a big deal about the religious aspect in public, because apparently people can't agree about it.

And in case you're wondering how I can celebrate these holidays as an Atheist:

Easter: Spring is here! Yay! ...AND CADBURRY CREAM EGGS NOM NOM NOM
Christmas: Winter Solstice! Days will get longer again soon! Yay!  

alteregoivy

CalledTheRaven

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:26 am
Semiremis
I have no problem with the secularization of religious holidays since they tend to bring families together at least once or twice every year which is good unless you have one of those families who can't be together without raising everyone's blood pressure. The commercialization of holidays is what's up for question in my mind.

I have to agree with this. My huge family gathers for the holidays and for most of us, there's nothing religious about it but they are warm and loving and wonderful. No, it's not the secularization but the commercialization that gets to me. When I was a kid, Easter was about coloring and playing hide and seek with eggs, a basket of candy in the morning, and dinner at Grandma's. But now...My boyfriend's nephews get more presents then we got for Christmas.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff