Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 16:: Gardening!
help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:47 pm
my rats and bearded dragon adore carrots, and they make up a large part of my gutloading routine for my feeder animals. well instead of buying them from a store which cost alot (im a penny pincher) and i know they use chemicals i would like to grow my own.
ive tried for years to grow them myself and have never even gotten a sprout so i was hoping for a decent step by step guid to growing carrots.
same advice for peas would also be loved as they are my rats' favorite food.
im a total novice when it comes to gardening for food.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:40 am
Well, can you tell me more about how your planting them?  

Complete_Spazz
Captain

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:48 am
put a hole in the ground and put in the seeds, thats all im doing and i have the feeling i need to do some other things  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:59 am
Carrot seeds are really small, but grow big. Try useing a large pot, like an old bathtub, and fill in with good, rich dirt, with about 1/3 of it being compost. Then, evenly spred the seeds out. There is no reason to need to bury them. Carrots are hard to grow, so keep an eye on them. Hopefully, your pets will have there carrots soon.
~With love, Spazz.  

Complete_Spazz
Captain

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100

Ailinea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:11 am
Carrots are relatively easy to grow, so let's make sure you can get some goodies from these seeds!

First, make sure you're not buying them too deep. They should only be about 1/2 an inch in the ground. No digging required, usually just putting them on the ground and pushing the seed down with your thumb works well. Also make sure you're planting them in well-tilled soil; i.e. soil that is loose. Hard soils like clay make it difficult for the roots to expand.

Once you've planted the seeds, water the area thoroughly, but not too much! Just enough to make sure the soil is moist. Using the shower setting on a hose nozzle works best. For seedlings, if there is a mist setting, you might try that too so it doesn't disturb the seed too much.

Happy growing!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:30 am
Ailinea
Carrots are relatively easy to grow, so let's make sure you can get some goodies from these seeds!

First, make sure you're not buying them too deep. They should only be about 1/2 an inch in the ground. No digging required, usually just putting them on the ground and pushing the seed down with your thumb works well. Also make sure you're planting them in well-tilled soil; i.e. soil that is loose. Hard soils like clay make it difficult for the roots to expand.

Once you've planted the seeds, water the area thoroughly, but not too much! Just enough to make sure the soil is moist. Using the shower setting on a hose nozzle works best. For seedlings, if there is a mist setting, you might try that too so it doesn't disturb the seed too much.

Happy growing!

...>.>
Listen to her, She know's more than meh. ^^  

Complete_Spazz
Captain

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100

TheLittleOwl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 am
Try pre-planted from a plant nursery so that all you have to do is transplant.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:05 pm
It's difficult to find trans-plantable carrots (since, well, they are roots after all), but good luck.

Also, Spazz, I totally didn't see you putting how hard to grow they are before I typed my reply. xD I guess it really depends on the person/soil!  

Ailinea

cshellove

2,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 am
I too have had trouble with carrot growing. They like a sandier soil. Good luck to you, and don't give up.
As for peas, I have had great luck, and eat them right off the vine! I put them in the soil about inch and water like crazy ( at the beginning of the season. I do that with mu whole garden.) This year I kept wat to my of the starts, and should have thinned them out better. I learn a new lesson every time I try to grow something, don't you?  
16:: Gardening!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games