Welcome to Gaia! ::

Egyptology Guild

Back to Guilds

A discussion guild on the study on Ancient Egypt 

Tags: Egypt, Egyptology, Kemetic, History, Pharaoh 

Reply The Lounge
Ancient Egyptian Fiction, anybody read any?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

Charlock_McCloud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:17 pm
I love Ancient Fiction anyway, but when i stumbled upon Wilbur Smiths Egyptian series one day...i bought them all, and read them all.

They're amazing. Book two not so much, as it goes back to the future, but 1, 3, and 4 are awesome reads. They're set around the second Intermediate kingdom, when the Hyksos invasion takes place.

Book 4 however takes on a different route, as it mentions an evil goddess set out to destroy Egypt, and their only hope is a Warlock/magus names Taita (who's also in book 1 and 3)

I'm now reading Christian Jacq's novels. His Queen of Freedom trilogy is set in the same timeline as Wilbur Smiths, except his is based alot more upon truth, true names are used in his novels, whereas Smith's characters are purely fictional, though both turn them into great novels!

If you enjoy a good read, these 2 authors have to be your first picks when it comes to Egyptian Fiction!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:59 am
I've read the Egyptian series by Wilbur Smith too, fantastic! Didn't read the Seventh Scroll though because its not the era I'm interested in.

I'm hooked on Christian Jacq at the moment. The Ramses series almost made me cry, infact I haven't even read the fifth book of that series yet because I'm still traumatised, lmao. Although the series 'Conspiracy of Evil' is not as exciting, but in parts it is.  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Charlock_McCloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:29 pm
Rennie`
I've read the Egyptian series by Wilbur Smith too, fantastic! Didn't read the Seventh Scroll though because its not the era I'm interested in.

I'm hooked on Christian Jacq at the moment. The Ramses series almost made me cry, infact I haven't even read the fifth book of that series yet because I'm still traumatized, lmao. Although the series 'Conspiracy of Evil' is not as exciting, but in parts it is.

Good to hear!

I recon i'll pick up the ramses series when i finish the queen of freedom trilogy, i love a good cry in a book, but i hope it doesn't traumatize me too much haha.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 pm
Smith is epically awesome, love his Egyptian series. I also didn't read the Seventh Scroll for the same reason- not set in the time period I'm interested in.

I might have to check out the Christian Jacq.

I'm also dying to get my hands on "Re Rising" by....some dude whose name I can't remember. It got rave reviews in Kmt, an Egyptological journal, and I'm curious enough to wanna read it and see for myself.  

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200

Champagne Jane

Dapper Member

1,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:34 pm
theres a book series a stumbled upon a few years ago at a book sale, its called the Horus road.

it seemed really interesting but i havent gotten a chance to read it because i lent it to my grandmother who then has baught the whole series.
has anyone read it?  
The Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff