rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:37 pm
This is for all members to introduce themselves to the guild.

First Name:
Denomination:

What drew you to this guild?

Influential quote:

Any other information you would like to share, feel welcome.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:42 pm
First Name: Robert
Religion: Christianity
Denomination: Episcopal with Gnostic leanings

What drew you to this guild? I'm sick and tired of stupid people making a mockery of my religion, especially those with in my faith.

Influential quote: Matt 22: 36-40
Matt 22:36-40
36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"

37And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

38"This is the great and foremost commandment.

39"The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'

40"On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Boxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:55 pm
I r teh Boxy. I speak pretty one day.

First Name: Andrew (ho snap, there goes my anonymity)
Religion: Theism >> Abrahamism >> Christianity >> Restorationism >> Mormonism, with shades of syncretism with various pagan sources (especially Canaanite/Babylonian sources)
Denomination: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Brighamite), non-Utah.

What drew you to this guild? Actually being invited by someone I knew. Do you know just how many guild invites I get that are from people I know nothing about for topics I care nothing for? Also, we need less uppity and touchy-feely Christian guilds here on Gaia.

Influential quotes: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." (KJV Matthew 7:21)

"A time to come in the which nothing shall be withheld, whether there be one God or many gods, they shall be manifest. All thrones and dominions, principalities and powers, shall be revealed and set forth upon all who have endured valiantly for the gospel of Jesus Christ." (D&C 121:28-29)

"And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people." (D&C 90:15)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:58 pm
First Name:
Brian

Religion:
Christian

Denomination:
Toughie...I was raised Seventh Day Adventist, and still technically hold an Ordination there as a Deacon, though at the moment, I'm pretty much Non Denominational. I attend LDS Services with my Wife and her family, but after we get back on our own feet, we're going to start shopping around at different Churches to see if we can find a Congregation that doesn't either bore us to tears, or rub us the wrong way.

Or as my Wife just mentioned, "Not Crazy" sweatdrop

err, well...I bought it a few years back when it was the Gaia Geeks Guild. rmcdra mentioned a lack of Christian Guilds that lack the users who try and get as much strife in the guild as they can, so I figured I'd see if I could fix that.

Influential quote:
First underlined text I find as I flip my Bible open randomly:
Romans 2:9-11 NIV
9There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;
10but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
11For God does not show favoritism.

And so people don't think it's necessary to have a scriptural quote, my thoughts on censorship and the like:
Larry Flint
"If the human body's obscene, complain to the manufacturer, not me."

Contralto in a Corset
Vice Captain

Shaviv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm
This is an open guild. o_O

You know who I am, a few of you know my name. I'm from the '80s, I grew up Jewish in an Orthodox community (a Conservative household in some respects), where I still live at this time, but do not really believe in the theology thereof.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 pm
First Name: Taylor
Religion: I'm not sure but we're going with monolateralist Christian at the mo'
Denomination: Nonezor, formerly Catholic (but that be many years agone)

What drew you to this guild? I was invited. biggrin And I figured, "Well, why the hell not?"

Influential quote: (...you buggers gotta do all yours from the Bible and you're gonna give me hell for stealing from Green Day instead, I know it...)
Green Day, Viva La Gloria
Gloria, where are you Gloria?
Don't lose your faith to your lost naivete
Weather the storm and don't look
Back on last November
When your banners were burnin' down

Gloria, viva la Gloria
Send me your amnesties down to the broken hearted
Bring us the season that we
Always will remember
Don't let the bonfires go out

Nines19

linaloki

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:55 pm
First Name: Call me Loki.
Age: 20, soon to be of the proper age to buy that fish-shaped sake bottle...
Religion: Christianity
Denomination: Non-denominational self-study.

What drew you to this guild? An invite, to be honest. I figured I fit.

Influential quote: "Christ came to tell us how to love one another, and we've spent the last two-thousand plus years killing each other over how he said it?"

Most probably know me for my extensive work in the gay rights threads, particularly as a thread starter (Logical Proof being my first), and the connection between it and Christianity. My currently going strong thread, Homosexuality Is Not A Sin, will hopefully become a book (with Elfy's and potentially others' help, and it covers more than homosexuality) and has been quite popular.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 pm
@Nine19
Eh I'm glad someone did. I was thinking of adding a comment that it didn't have to come from the bible. Thanks though for getting the message that quote does not necessarily imply Bible verse.

@linaloki
Ditto  

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Nines19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:19 pm
rmcdra
@Nines19
Eh I'm glad someone did. I was thinking of adding a comment that it didn't have to come from the bible. Thanks though for getting the message that quote does not necessarily imply Bible verse.

TBH I'm not completely solid on my knowledge of Biblical quotes to begin with, and (probably because of this) I have yet to find one that really strikes me.
The song I quoted from nearly makes me cry every time I hear it, for no reason in particular. I simply well-up with emotion. If that's not "influential," you got me as to what is, heh.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 pm
Nines19
rmcdra
@Nines19

TBH I'm not completely solid on my knowledge of Biblical quotes to begin with, and (probably because of this) I have yet to find one that really strikes me.
The song I quoted from nearly makes me cry every time I hear it, for no reason in particular. I simply well-up with emotion. If that's not "influential," you got me as to what is, heh.

That would be pretty damn influential. Green Day is a great group. I like all the extra meanings the have in their songs. I forgot the name of this song but it was something like "six pack of apathy..." I really liked that one. The reason I chose the verse that it was the only thing that kept me from giving up on Christianity completely despite all the ignoramuses in my religion that made me want to leave.  

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Nines19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 pm
rmcdra
Nines19
rmcdra
@Nines19

That would be pretty damn influential. Green Day is a great group. I like all the extra meanings the have in their songs. I forgot the name of this song but it was something like "six pack of apathy..." I really liked that one.

"The Grouch." I think that one was about his stepdad and/or how he didn't want to be when he got older.

Quote:
The reason I chose the verse that it was the only thing that kept me from giving up on Christianity completely despite all the ignoramuses in my religion that made me want to leave.

I've always seen it this way; if you're going to "walk out" on your god, make sure you're doing it because of that god and not somebody else's opinion of him.
Which may or may not also be a pretty good rule with significant others. ninja But that would make sense anyway because we're looking for relationships with our gods, usually. Especially in Christianity.

...this is getting kind of off-topic, heh.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:47 pm
rmcdra
This is for all members to introduce themselves to the guild.

I couldnt remember what you asked for the life of me. sad

rmcdra

Old...32

rmcdra
Religion:

Spiritualist

rmcdra

Invited

rmcdra
Influential quote:

"Get busy or get busy dying" Shawshank Redemption

"I shall not cry for that blind man I leave behind." Martin Page

Get off my lawn ya whipper snappers!!  

deadmanjay

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 pm
Nines19

I've always seen it this way; if you're going to "walk out" on your god, make sure you're doing it because of that god and not somebody else's opinion of him.
Which may or may not also be a pretty good rule with significant others. ninja But that would make sense anyway because we're looking for relationships with our gods, usually. Especially in Christianity.

...this is getting kind of off-topic, heh.
Kinda but it still classifies as an introductions since we are getting to know each other.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 pm
deadmanjay

Great quotes man. I really like them.  

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

deadmanjay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:08 pm
rmcdra
deadmanjay

Great quotes man. I really like them.

That should be get busy living, but get busy sounds about the same message i think.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff