Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learn to Become a Literate Role-Player

Back to Guilds

This guild is for those new to RPing who wish to expand their abilites and become Literate Role-Players! 

Tags: Role Playing, Learn, Literate, RPing, Writing 

Reply Dump Folder (Old Guild Stuff for Old Members)
Pet Peeves of the Literate Kind. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Got a pet peeve?
  Sure do!
  Nope!
  What are pet peeve's?
View Results

SchizoPhrenzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:23 am
Don't you just hate it when people do that thing? You know... that thing they do, that's really annoying? You know what I mean, yeah? That thing where... they do... stuff...

If you really, really do hate that thing, why not post it here? Let us know, let others know, tell the world about the really annoying stuff those people do, and junk like that.

My pet peeve? Apostrophes on plurals, or misplaced apostrophes in general. (i.e. heaps of cat's)
You get my drift.

My Favourite Pet Peeves:  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 am
My favorite Pet Peeve is Periods. When people don't end their sentence, let alone their entire post, it really annoys me.  

Rene Miashi
Captain

8,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200

Caffeinated lollipop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:47 pm
M YP E TP E E V E S

» Unending sentences, like, like the ones without commas. Oh how they make me so furious! Really, I just want to beat people with an ugly stick brutally.

» Extremely short posts...the kind you absolutely cannot reply back to without an extended period of brain racking and complete nonsense.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 pm
M o r e || P e t || P e e v e s

* Txt talk. . . I'm a bit of a grammer/spelling Nazi. Not to the point that I would correct eensy, weensy mistakes. But, txt. . . Really? That's just a sure-fire way to annoy the hell out of people.

* Anachronisms. . . I find it amazing that this even exists. If you're in feudal Japan, you're in FEUDAL Japan. There are no Glocks, no watches, no cars, no tank-tops, and NO cellphones. -headdesk-

* 'Over'-Literacy. . . I love reading, writing, and roleplaying as much as the next person. But, there's a certain point where you need to draw the line. If you've written five paragraphs, during which your character has not moved or developed at all. . . I'm going to shoot you. That is all.

* D-I-Ds. . . 'Damsels-in-Distress'. I've written many a late-night rant about this sort of thing. Put simply, don't put your character in danger for the sake of attention [unless it has something to do with plot development].

And, that's all I can think of. For now.
I'm sure a few are lurking around.
I'm a very angry person. ._.;

Psychedelic Seizure
Crew

Yuki-Kyroche

6,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This right here. ^ Cause I have way too many things that bother me. >:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 am
RPers who don't take initiative. Example? I hate when I am always forced to go out of my way to interact with another character. Worse, it's a one on one rp! I'll always give rpers an opportunity to come talk to me, and me to them if given the same chances. What I have found recently, is that many rpers seem to AVOID my character like the plague! During one Rp my character gave a female character dozen of chances to come interact. What does she do? Not even notice my character and rushes off to that fabulous job. Apparently I need my character to write out an invitation IN BLOOD for her to come interact. Half the RP seemed like my character was stalking her because she would NOT look over her shoulder and notice my character talking to her. gonk

Rpers who do cliched' things. Example? Two characters are talking in a bar/work/school/house, when SUDDENLY they are transported to a wide open beach. Reactions should be: 'Oh my God! Where the hell are we?' What does she do? 'Wheee! The beach I love the beach!' *takes shoes off and plays in the water* OR our characters are having a some what interesting conversation and SUDDENLY she looks up at the sky and says: 'I wish I were a cloud.' No preamble. Now I have no problems with people saying such thing, but it'd be nice to have something leading up to it. Not just saying it to give yourself a 'beautiful' moment. scream

When good RP skills and being literate DON"T go hand in hand. This one has actually become very apparent to me recently. I put up a post searching out 'Literate RP Partners' just looking for a chance to start a nice little RP. I get a few applicants who appear to be literate, but once we start rping? I get very DRY story plot, it goes no where, it's excruciating to push along. The person can spell very well and link sentences together perfectly. But their manner of rp is atrocious. Characters avoiding me (RAAAAGE) things happening for no reason, weapons being pulled out of quazi space and worst of all I get flagged for 'AUTO HITTING'. I don't mind being told when I do something wrong, but good lord! If my character is doing nothing but dodging bullets for the last three posts, I think I've waited long enough before making a move because chances are the OTHER PERSON HAS NOTHING PLANNED. Besides there's only so long you can keep firing at a person with a sword before the distance is closed in. I do not auto hit, I give just as many chances for the other to make the first move. But when nothing happens? You better believe I'm going to do something to give the RP a kick in the butt to get moving. evil

wow, I didn't realize I was so angry! But yeah those are my top three right now. Everything else is something everyone already listed.

N.A.T.A

w i g g l e c a k e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:35 am
"Alot."

The single most annoying non-word in the universe. gonk People will insist, repeatedly, that is a real word, and get all miffed at you for pointing out the mistake. If it ever gets added to the dictionary I will claw out my eyes in sorrow and rage...

People who can't keep their homophones straight (two, too, to, they're, their, there, etc. etc. etc.) are pretty irritating too. It's really not difficult; the internet has tons of resources to help you with this stuff. If you're not sure, you're probably wrong! Look it up!

Also, comma splices-- garrrr! These can be fixed easily with semicolons or just a period. The trouble is getting people to understand exactly what a comma splice is and why it's wrong in the first place.

...Lastly... if you... feel... the need... to use... ellipses... to punctuate... the beginning, middle, and end... of every... sentence... I... will... hunt you down... and... club you... with fine literature..................... (Seriously, it's pretty much only appropriate for the sake of drama in video game dialogue, and even then it's annoying when you have a long-winded scene with tons of the damn things.)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:10 pm
-Edit-ish-

-Text talk
-Improper use of words
-Incorrect spelling of easy word (computers have spell check for goddess sake!)
-Making out with other characters all the time
-When your character acts the COMPLETE opposite of what the template says all the time
- Godmodding
-Perfect people
-Time skipping randomly
-Not posting when you are in the middle of an RP
-Disrespect
-Run-ons and fragments
-Improper period use
-Commas after every word
-Using the same word twice
-Extremely long posts (I'm too lazy to read four trillion paragraphs)

If you do these just to annoy me then I will be forced so shank you. ^__^  

Ookami hime95
Crew

Hygienic Vampire

True Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 pm
Sparrow's Pet Peeves:
(There are too many to even post here... or to even remember at the moment. As a roleplaying guild owner, I hate SO many things.)

- Inactive members: they ruin all the fun
- Roleplays with different-tense roleplayers. (EX: She was... AND ... She is) I personally likes past tense the best.
- Super long posts. In most roleplays, there are plenty more posts to read... and no one has all day to read them. I don't even like 3 paragraph posts... unless they're short paragraphs.
- Super short posts. If you can't think of anything good to write, then just don't post. [And don't tell me you have writer's block, because there are many other characters to play with/off of]
- Roleplayers who mess up the time-setting of the roleplay. (I've been dealing with this a lot! EX: [Medieval times] His alarm went off too late... the police caught them... he was in the FBI........ I mean seriously, it's annoying!)

There will be more... wink You can count on it...

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:46 pm
Gaara's pet peeves:

~Un-ending posts, with not even a single bit of punctation.
~When people only use lower case letters. Don't know why, but that's just as bad as no punctuation.

Example:
"he walked up to her as if everything was alright, though he was feeling horrible hey megan he said with a bit of strain in his voice what's going on"

BLEH! MY EYES!!! MY BRAIN!!!  

gaaras and milk

Angel_Rowen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm
My pet peeves? Well... let's see here...

1. Grammar/punctuation errors.
-Yes, I know, nobody in this world is perfect! I even make spelling mistakes, but at least I go back and fix it after being informed/finding out.
-Punctuating a sentence is as easy as moving your right ring finger down a tiny bit and pushing that key there. Yes, that one, right below and slightly to the right of the "L". That is a period. Also, hitting shift and the number 1 gets you one of these: ! (I actually couldn't remember how to spell it, so I just made it easier... stare Yes, I am just that special. XD).
-You learned proper grammar and punctuation in elementary school. If you can't use it, go back to second grade, ignorant people!

2. RP mannerism.
-HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE RP MANNERS?!?!?! It's really very simple. It's called when someone can't get on for a while and you are in an RP with that person, you respect them enough to wait to post instead of continuing. (I went through that. My fiancee runs an RP and one member joined under MY request and didn't have the respect to not RP after holding an interaction or request with my fiancee's character. It pisses me off!!!!!)

3. God-Moding.
-Seriously, aren't we beyond that stage yet? Yes, ever beginning RPer was god-modish at times. We all can admit that. It takes time to perfect getting away from that. However, if you are an advent RPer and claim to know what you are doing then you know not to do it. It is irrational and highly childish.
--Note: I will MURDER anyone who even DARES to god-mode. You think I'm kidding? Try me. Just try.--

4. Mary Sue.
-Who the hell seriously has that perfect of a life? (little stupid person: "Oh, but, s/he was orphaned at a young age and went through an abusive family! S/he isn't a Mary Sue!") Right, you just keep telling yourself that.
--Definition of a Mary Sue: "Mary Sue is a character, male or female, who can do anything they want, have all the best friends, can get away with anything, and can get along with anyone. This character holds no enemies."
This character lacks true depth and deserves to die. There is no way around such notions. If you disagree, please feel free to take it up with the bottom of my boot as you are coughing it up after my foot ramming up your a**. 4laugh Have a nice day!--

5. Improper Character Sketches.
-Alright, the whole thing with name, age, etc. is really old. How hard is it to create a character sketch like this?:
Name:
Personality:
Favorite Food/s:
Least Favorite Food/s:
Favorite Drink/s:
Least Favorite Drink/s:
Favorite Sweet/s:
Least Favorite Sweet/s:
Race:
Creature Type: (if there is one)
Hair Colour:
Hair Length:
Hair Type:
Eye Colour:
Height:
Weight:
Body Type:
Build: (Yes, body type and build are two COMPLETELY different things.)
Tattoos/Scars:
Distinguishing Marks: (Used for identification. [ie. Birthmark on left a** cheek in the shape of Mississippi.])
Parents: (include if deceased [for the stupid people, say that they are dead.])
Children: (include if deceased)
Lover:
Married, Single, Divorced:
Insight to Past: (Used to describe why the person is they way they are. Shows the past and should be in depth.)
Biography: (deals with present tense.)

Honestly, how hard is it to construct such a simple character sketch? A character is not just a name and a face. It is someone, an extension of yourself! Why would you not give something like that a life?! You have one! Why not put good use to it lazy ******** bastards! [/pink]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:32 pm
Peeves:

Number and Amount: Number, is used on words that generally have a plural form:
"A large number of dollar bills"
Amount is used when you are unable to pluralize:
"A large amount of sand"
Honestly, how dumb does "A large number of sand" or "A large amount of dollar bills" sound? (The latter, I understand is easier to mistake, but still)

Mad/Angry: Even though the popular vernacular dictates that mad can mean furious, it should mean crazy. Mad is supposed to mean crazy, angry is supposed to mean furious.

Unrealistic Happenings: You do not fall in love in two days. If you want your characters to fall in love, do a time skip a couple of months, or at least give them a couple of weeks. People always give me the dumb crack "There are vampires in this story, it is not supposed to be realistic"

Definition of realistic: Of or pertaining to a concern for fact or reality and rejection of the impractical and visionary.

I think we all need to read that last part again. REJECTING that which is IMPRACTICAL.

-->I have other peeves, but I do not want to seem mean or grouchy  

wolvesofmibu666

Angel_Rowen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 pm
I'd like to here the rest of your petpeeves, Wolves. And no one cares if you sound mean or grouchy. I'm usually a b***h most of the time anyway, so don't worry about it. 4laugh Go for it and tell us all what you don't like... Fair warning, I will get on your nerves on purpose sometimes only because I think it's funny to make people twitch. xd  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:29 pm
*Reads the other Mod posts slowly*

Man... I feel like such a noob with my sentence of a peeve...

*Sighs*  

Rene Miashi
Captain

8,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Dump Folder (Old Guild Stuff for Old Members)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games