Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Norse: History and Lore: UPDATE ON TEACHER LAST POST Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WritingZombie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:08 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Norse: A History

Introduction

Greetings, I'm Wulf and I'll be introducing you to the ancestral history of the Norse. This class will involve everything that I've learned about Norse ancestry, lore, Goddess's, Gods, and there will be some spells and rituals along the way also. Since the Rune class is no longer being taught I will also be covering that, since it is in accordance with the Norse and Scandinavian History.

My goal for this class is to educate people about different God(dess's), stories, magick, and just information in general. So welcome to my class, questions are always welcomed and if anyone has any ideas of something interesting to put into my schedule, I will try if I feel it would help the class along.

Edit by Mod:
Old Rune Class 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 pm
Rules

1.) No harsh language please and be patient, I will do the same
2.) I would like to know if your joining the class or not just for simplicity's sake.
3.)You can always give suggestions on what you would like to learn here, don't be afraid.
4.) Assignments must be sent into me by PM, put "Assignment" as the Subject of the message please.
5.) If you have any questions, don't be shy to post them. I will answer as best I can ^^

WritingZombie

WritingZombie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 pm
Rune History: Part 1

The word, Futhark (or fuþark) comes from the first six letters of the alphabet. The Anglo-Saxon translation is "futhorc".

Runes were used in many different ways, and there are many different variations of Runes themselves. First and foremost, they were an alphabet, like the one you and I use right now to read what I'm writing. After that they were used in symbolism for different things, animals, and attributes that could be possessed by a living being like strength (Uruz). It's questioned whether the Runes were used for divination by some, but poems and writing that have been found in old literature supports the idea that they were, in fact, used for divination and magick.

Rune stones (Figure A) were either small or large pieces of stone with stories, instructions, ect. carved into them. Ogham is a type of Runic alphabet that was said to be a hidden way of writing the Futhark Runic alphabet. Ogham was also used mostly in Rune stones, the ones you see in the pictures of Ireland where a large stone is sticking out of the ground, probably have the Ogham alphabet arranged in the form of a story or some such writing.
User ImageFigure A:User Image

Here is a list of the Elder Futhark Runes including their meaning, some history, and their pronunciation. Remember, Rune readings and meanings are advise towards current events, not the future. Rune's can help to direct you to a path or decision when you are doubtful. But the meaning can be different for each reader, the essence for what the rune pertains to though is stable.

Fehu: The translation that the rune stands for is, "Cattle" and or "Wealth". When being used as a divination it would mean either: financial wealth, success, social success, energy, foresight, fertility and sometimes creation or destruction. I've always seen success, hope, and wealth as meanings of this rune.

Uruz: This symbol I became associated with since I started using Runes and asking their advise. The translation is: "Auroch" which was a large ox. It was believed that a number of Scandinavian's had to hunt one of these to proceed into manhood, with a demonstration of strength physically, mentally, and in spirit and courage. This Rune demonstrates that exactly, inner strength as well as out.

Thurisaz: This translation is "Giant" or "Thorn". Those who don't mind Christianity being mixed in with their craft, also use "Devil" as the translation. The basic meaning is a reactive force that is overbearing and destructive. This Rune has always, for me, stood for something that couldn't be avoided and was large. When the destructive power of Thurisaz is captured and controlled, it can be used for creation instead of destruction, both being a part of the cycle of life.

Ansuz: Ansuz's translation is, "ancestral god" or "Gods" referring to the deities of the old Norse, whom will give us insight and guidance. In divination the rune means insight into knowledge. The Anglo Saxons would associate it with water and the "mouth" for it's fluidity into knowledge and it's association with messages and literacy.

Raido: Translation meaning "Chariot" or "Travel". This Rune has been associated with safe travel or successful voyage on a physical trip or spiritual journey. It also can be thought of as advise to look at the "whole picture" before making a decision along your path.

Kenaz: "Torch", this means that knowledge will be revealed or something new will be brought to your attention. It can also mean you will find out something about an inner aspect of yourself never seen before. Kenaz reminds us we have the ability to bring new things into our life.

Gebo: "Giving", "Gift". It reveals the importance of selflessness and or helping another. Sigurd in the story of "Brunhild" fought a dragon and stole a ring from the dragon's hoard. He then found a large set of armor where a Valkyrie was trapped by Odin until a mortal man was brave enough to rescue her. This sounds to me like a Christianized form of a old story that might have been before "Brunhild" but the meaning is still clear and there. I've also heard of Gebo being used to refer to family, but it's uncommon.

Wunjo: "Joy". This Rune symbolizes the inner feeling of comfort, happiness, excitement, giddiness, enjoyment, over ruling positive emotion of a kind. Wunjo also reminds us to not "Go over the top" with our inner feelings but enjoy them. Wunjo also is a good Rune to work with other Rune's, giving other Rune readings more clearity by saying that those meanings will be more positive then negative.

Hagalaz "Hail", "Storm". This can mean a force acting against, just as a heavy (hail) storm would. This Rune means your being tested, and have to keep strong. It can be used in witchcraft for breaking unwanted influences (spells, or just general influences), or breaking a habit or pattern that you don't wish to have around you anymore. This is more of an active Rune when being used in witchcraft. (Whatever you send out, comes back to you, remember that)

Nauthiz: "Need" This Rune symbolizes something that you quest for or perhaps need in losing rut or when life is not working out and is out of sync. It could be taken a couple of ways, either it would be taken as you are needing something that coincides with another Rune drawn (depends on your layout, we will go over layouts latter), whatever the matter, the object you focused on when drawing the Rune either needs, or is needed. This Rune is rather difficult to describe without the knowledge of the layout or focus from when it was drawn.

Isa: "Ice", has also been translated as "Isolation". This rune can mean a blockage, disconnection, or isolation from something when being used for divination reasons. In magick it can be used to make something stop, to disconnect from something, to find peace from a problem, or can represent a primal form.

Jera: "Year(harvest)" This Rune is symbolizing a benefit of a change or happening. A change perhaps has happened and you are getting your reward or the affects of the change. Jera is used to bring on fertility or room for growth in a person or other subjects.

Eiwaz: "Yew(tree)" The Yew tree was rumored to be the tree that Thor hung from for many days to claim the knowledge of the Runes, with a spear in his side. This Rune is said to represent a change in a lifestyle or pattern in divination. In magick use, it can be used to bring ease on the weight we all eventually feel in our lives eventually.

Pertho: "dice-cup", "Vulva" Pertho tells us in divination that we must not hold on tight to the past or else a repeat in events will occur, making you lose out in growth, change, and new happiness (all of which are sacred to most witches). In magick Pertho has been used to ease child birth and ability to move onto new things, and also for prophecies.

Algiz: "Protection" I just have to say I use this Rune probably the most out of all of the Elder Futhark Runes. In divination the Rune can represent a mentor, protection, or a warning. When being used in magick, it has been used for protection against danger, and sometimes hunting.

Sowulo: "Sun" This Rune is an all around joyful symbol. In divination it means success, energy, positive influences, growth. In magickal usage it has been cast to bring growth, fertility, healing, and strength. This Rune has been symbolized with a horse often in Norse history, because of the representation of the Sun, and the old idea that the Sun was carted around the universe within a chariot by a grand horse, being chased by Fenrir.

Teiwaz: "Tyr" Tyr was known as, "God of war, giver of victory and protector from harm". The rune was and is widely used as Rune to be placed upon a amulet for protection and victory in a dispute of whatever kind. This Rune in divination can mean duty, conflict, wound(s), self-sacrifice, and the warrior's path. With magick, it has been used to bring victory, strength, healing energy, and willpower. Teiwaz reminds us that self sacrifice to do what's right is sometimes needed and that in the long run, making choices for your own ethics will result in victory.

Berkana: "Birch" The Birch tree was used in Spring rituals for fertility. In divination, Berkana means growth, fertility, plenty of, and health. When using Berkana in magick, the Rune is used for healing infections, starting new, and help for conception.

Ehwaz: "Horse" Odin's eight legged mount, Sleipnir, was a horse (horse like anyway), this Rune is also sometimes regarded with the color white or gray. In divination this Rune means transportation, motion, assistance, and communication. This Rune is used in magick to help with doing spell work that isn't close by. So "sending" a spell, so this Rune also works well, complimenting spells.

Mannaz: "Man"(either race or individual) In Divination this Rune means our social groups, family, self, personal, and relationships. While doing a spell towards a specific person or group Mannaz is a superb Rune to use, as that is it's meaning.

Laguz: "Water" This Rune is also used in divination rites to mean the unconscious mind, fears, and emotions. In magick this Rune is used to bring about our deeper sides and emotions. Water is said to amplify one's energy, Laguz is no different with it's use in magick. Water is also used for healing, Laguz is used for healing mental and emotional health.

Inguz:"Ing" (also known as the deity Frey the fertility God of the Anglo Saxon's, who was transformed in lore to Ing the Hero) This Rune in divination means hard work, balance, and a connection to the earth. This Rune, in my opinion, is a masculine Rune that symbolizes that connection to the world around after working with it. This Rune is used to bring a balance into a person's life, fertility, general health, and help with farming.

Dagaz: "Day" This Rune's meaning in Divination means the start of a new beginning in someone's life. It reminds us that we really need new things in our life for us to feel new things and grow. With every ending, comes a new beginning which is a brilliant feeling. In magickal uses it's used for bringing new outcomes or choices into your life for whatever subject, or just in general.

First Assignment!

I would like you all to look up what your favorite Rune, after that I want you all to post what your favorite Rune was on this topic, if you wouldn't like to share with the rest of the class PM works to. Write a paragraph (five sentences or more, I'm hoping for more) of a small history of the Rune, and how it relates to you in a way that made you choose it. We will be using this later so make sure you pick one that really calls to you. (Remember, using other forms of Runic writing for a choice of Rune for this assignment is fully acceptable and even encouraged.)

Example:

(Futhark, Elder Futhark, Ogham, ect.)

(Small history of Rune, then explanation why you picked it and how it applies to you)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:53 pm
This class looks great! I really hope its one of the few that holds up, and I'd love to be a student! 3nodding  

Oh Em Jesus

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:02 am
Just curious...what resources (other than your class biggrin ), do you suggest for people who are looking into studying the Runes?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 pm
Oh Em Jesus: Grand, I will be awaiting your assignment smile

too2sweet: ^^ Superb question, I will even post a document about that.  

WritingZombie

WritingZombie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 pm
List Of Other Resources Available

Internet Sites:
This site has grand information that I reference often when talking about the Ogham Runes.
Uponreflection

This area has been pretty informational, it has served it's purpose when needed.
ShieldMaidens

I've always loved Bewitching Ways, their content has changed since last time I've looked. I would compare information received from this site with other information that you have gotten
Bewitchingways

This site is another good place to look up things about Runes.
TaraHill

These are a few trusted internet resources. I am currently digging through my collection and will be posting books that I trust on the subject also in the near future.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 am
Updates

I have all of the Elder Futhark Runes up now so enjoy ^^. I will soon have some lore and Gods and Goddesses aquanted with those Runes.

Any favored sites of information or books/authors that you would recommend to your fellow peers can be PMed to me and I will add them to the list of Resources.

Remember, you can always PM me or post an idea you have for the class.

When an assignment is turned in by a student, (S)he will have another assignment posted, or that person can help another student with their assignment and help to catch up, but don't feel guilty if this is not your choice. A student that strives and takes responsibility of themselves, will learn, but teamwork is always grand.

Updates will be posted as soon as they happen so keep an eye open.  

WritingZombie

a_witches_past

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 am
Yay, I'm so glad this was made.

My favorite is either Ansuz or Teiwaz.
Tiewaz because it has to do with protection. It also has to do with selfsacrifice and a path of a warrior. It's been used to heal even though it was known as Tyr, the god of war. I just really connect with it.
Ansuz was because it has to do with ancestral gods, for me they are the Norse gods and goddesses. It is associated with water, which is my favorite element. I think this one is my favorite. But then there's still Tiewaz so it's hard to pick one of the two.
Shoot, I didn't see Laguz. Well now I like Laguz the most, by far, so yeah. smile
Can I be a student as well?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am
a_witches_past
It's been used to heal even though it was known as Tyr, the god of war.

Tyr is actually more associated with Justice, than with War. He is one of my favorites, especially for his willingness to sacrifice of himself for the good of others.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

WritingZombie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:32 am
a_witches_past
Yay, I'm so glad this was made.

My favorite is either Ansuz or Teiwaz.
Tiewaz because it has to do with protection. It also has to do with selfsacrifice and a path of a warrior. It's been used to heal even though it was known as Tyr, the god of war. I just really connect with it.
Ansuz was because it has to do with ancestral gods, for me they are the Norse gods and goddesses. It is associated with water, which is my favorite element. I think this one is my favorite. But then there's still Tiewaz so it's hard to pick one of the two.
Shoot, I didn't see Laguz. Well now I like Laguz the most, by far, so yeah. smile
Can I be a student as well?

Laguz is the third one up from the bottom. Very good small paragraph and I like how you put in there it's element. Very nice, you are most welcome in the class. I will post your new assignment and the next class lesson soon.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm
_____My favorite rune is Sowulo, also known as Sigil. I like to think of myself as a pretty positive person. I can't think of a more positive image then light, and what better to represent that then the sun? I truly to love all the seasons, but something about summer really draws me in. I love sitting in the sun, soaking in its warmth.

_____I'm also a pretty competitive person, so naturally I'm drawn to a symbol of victory. Everything about this rune seems to scream positive. As an added bonus, it is associated with the ruby, my favorite gem stone. :]

Oh Em Jesus

WritingZombie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 am
Oh Em Jesus
_____My favorite rune is Sowulo, also known as Sigil. I like to think of myself as a pretty positive person. I can't think of a more positive image then light, and what better to represent that then the sun? I truly to love all the seasons, but something about summer really draws me in. I love sitting in the sun, soaking in its warmth.

_____I'm also a pretty competitive person, so naturally I'm drawn to a symbol of victory. Everything about this rune seems to scream positive. As an added bonus, it is associated with the ruby, my favorite gem stone. :]

Wow, very nice summary and explanation.  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games