Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:25 am
GoNintendo.com
Well, here’s some big news that came out of nowhere. Nintendo has announced that Masahiro Sakurai has started a new project. Yeah, you know the guy…he’s the one that started that little series called Smash Bros.. What’s the new title that Sakurai is working on? You know Nintendo isn’t going to tell us that one. We’ll have to hang tight and speculate endlessly until Nintendo decides to trickle-feed us info.

UPDATE - Looks like this is all part of a new company that works under Nintendo, Project Sora You can check out the official page here. Project Sora is a first-party company for Nintendo, and they’re working on a new title at this time.

UPDATE 2 - Iwata has confirmed that the current project that that Project Sora is working on is not a new Smash Bros.. “It’s not Smash Bros. I asked for. …I can promise an experience that’s different from anything [you’ve played] up until now.

Link

Any speculation? I mean, I highly doubt it's going to be a Nintendo-franchise, but what could it be? I'm a fan of what Sakurai's done in the past, so I have big expectations for Project Sora. For those not in the know, Sakurai created Kirby, did a ton of Kirby games, made Smash Bros, and Meteos (the cool one not the gay Disney s**t).

Update

GoNintendo
You guys should find these bits of translation very interesting. These snippets come from the Iwata Asks interview which focuses on Project Sora…

“The thoughts of game designer Masahiro Sakurai and Nintendo have become one, and a new project has started. In order to expand what can be offered to the world through games, we will have Nintendo’s full cooperation and make something that Nintendo could not do on its own.” - Iwata

“A new experiment, both for Mr. Sakurai and for Nintendo. We’ve started a special project. We’re not sure how it will sell or if it will be accepted. Our goal is not just to make a single game. We can promise that you’ll be able to experience something different.” - Sakurai

“From our perspective, it’s not something that overlaps oddly with something that would come from Nintendo or those close to Nintendo. It’s something that can be made because Nintendo is backing you up, but is also something that Nintendo could not make.” - Iwata

“If one were simply considering effective use of funding, we’d have went with a plan similar to Touch Generations. But that’s not I wanted. We want to make something that will be wanted even by the more hardcore game players, and something that offers new ideas.” - Iwata

A part near the end of the interview seems to hint at a 2011 release, but we have no idea what platform it will be on.

Link with another link to the full article here.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 am
...could it be... virtual reality taken to another level?

CONSPIRACY  

Zylo Allouette

6,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:59 am
Sora means sky, ne?

Maybe a new Zelda? >_>  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:36 am
Reggie, what're YOU up to?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Allegro

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am
Allegro
Reggie, what're YOU up to?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

WATCHUGUISEDOIN'  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:12 am
WHAT?!? How could they not make another smash game!?

just from plain business sense, the series has sold so well that it would be crazy not to make more.

I'm surprised they'd delay working on another.  

Rhed King

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 am
Oh! I know!

It's going to be a game that is heavily hyped, and fails to live up to said hype.

I'm just sayin'  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 am
Decavolty
Oh! I know!

It's going to be a game that is heavily hyped, and fails to live up to said hype.

I'm just sayin'

Actually you're probably spot on. It's going to have some great new mechanic with tons of potential (like Spore) but only begin to cover that mechanic (like spore) or throw in the mechanic throughout the game for little to no reason (like spore).  

Rhed King

otawara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:08 pm
The TMNT may be related with this....

On a different page, I read some Brawl, Ninja Gaiden, and DoA developers were working on this, so Sakurai's new project might just be this.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:14 pm
There hiring people now actually, so who knows what he is up to... maybe... dare I say it, global domination?  

Cattra Nightblade

Owwin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:17 pm
I have faith in Sakurai. He quit HAL because he wanted to get in touch with the gamer, and get back to what is important in the industry. I trust that he will do just that.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 pm
otawara

On a different page, I read some Brawl, Ninja Gaiden, and DoA developers were working on this, so Sakurai's new project might just be this.

Please no...  

0Toon-Link0

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:27 pm
Rhed King
WHAT?!? How could they not make another smash game!?

just from plain business sense, the series has sold so well that it would be crazy not to make more.
He left Nintendo sometime after Kirby Air Ride to make his own company, Sora. He was tired of pumping out sequels. Then Nintendo said they were making a new Smash Brothers, and when they announced it, they came to him and asked him if he would help with it. He did, and now he's back to his own company.

otawara

I doubt it's the Turtles game.

Edit: Updating first post with more news.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm
Meta_Fish
“It’s not Smash Bros. I asked for. …I can promise an experience that’s different from anything [you’ve played] up until now.”]

so....

new zelda????  

Waynebrizzle

Al Torrenz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:05 am
I seriously have no idea. I'll leave speculation to other people and get surprised.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff