Submit

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 am
If you recall, one of the last reviews I did was on Final Fantasy IV. Great game, wasnt it? I'm sure many of you have played it, and enjoyed it, and loved it beyond all reason. I know I did, do, and will probably continue to play it now that I have a new DS.

So here goes.

Our review for the day is...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dragon Quest IV - Chapters of the Chosen

Interestingly enough, there is a very welcome approach to this game. It's done in (dun dada duuunnnn) chapters. You play the chapters of the supporting characters, get a feel for the world at large, before stepping into the whole 'BIG SCARY VILLAIN MUST KILL' phase of the game.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dual screen plays a great role in making a 256x192 game a 256x384 game. Instead of 'lawl map' on the top screen (or bottom), the game is set up so that the top screen is a great scout to find chests and so on. Of course, if you are so inclined, you could press 'Y' and the map info springs right up. Press it again and a stock list of the town you're in's weapons. Once more for armor. And finally, back to DS.

Touch screen plays absolutely no role in the game whatsoever. At least not that I know of. Cant navigate through the game with it, cant touch icons on the menu, etc. Dont bother scratching harder trying to find something. Does not work.

The gameplay itself is rather nice. The curve of monsters to equipment is ROOOOOOUGH. It screams of MMO grinding - not for exp, but for money to get equipment. The armor is overexpensive, but useful. Weapons - dont even bother. Just run around enough and you'll find a gamebreaking weapon. At least for that chapter. xp

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Each region has their own funny accent. In chapter one, everyone had a dwarven accent. WTF? Was it Tolkien-land or something? The next chapter has people with broken Russian accents. It's like they're the kin of Yakov Smirnoff. Lazy developing made the save priest in Soviet Russia break his accent during the regular commands you happen to choose, but when you do anything quest related it springs right back to life. It's awesome.

Using the WFC, you can play pioneer mode, which is basically Sim City Dragon Quest. You choose a plucky pioneer, and someone else somewhere in the world does as well. In 'chance encounters', the city grows! Sweet, huh? Of course, you have to make your way to those people in the game, which may or may not take awhile.

Scattered throughout the game are medals you collect, and if you happen to meet the right NPC, you get rare weapons and armor for the medals you collect. Again, sweet, huh?

Then again, except for those last two paragraphs, this isnt anything you havent heard before, huh? I'm sure there's enough Enix fans who played this game. Huh?!

Oh wait, there isnt. xp

Overall, I find this game a welcome challenge from that other RPG I'm currently playing - Lunar: Dragon Song. That review is another story entirely.

FINAL FANTASY VS DRAGON QUEST
- Battle of the Fours!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's pitched combat between the Hero (that's you, and it's probably T, seeing as it's a guy/girl clad in green), and Cecil! The holy sword and ... another holy sword going at it. They're so evenly matched that it's probably going to end up --

A TIE

Both get the same rating - a 9. These games are like fine wine - they age, and just become all the more valuable.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:22 am
I have a warning for anyone who is playing the game i'll put it in white.

Spoilers:

At the very end of the game DO NOT climb the Zenithian Tower until you are 100% ready to fight the last 5 bosses, as if you jump back down you won't be able to go back up, and essentially ******** over the ending of the game.

Spoilers done.

Also I might review Dragon Quest 5 when it comes out February 17th.

EDIT: Also I found armor to be to easily obtained, I got so many powerful armors through the duration of the game that gave my character pretty good buffs in defense.

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29 am
Go for it. I'm not really the biggest Enix-half-of-Square-Enix fan, but I really like this one.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:41 pm
Yeah and I'm a big fan of Dragon Quest.  

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 am
I tend to be the type of person who says 'Well, if game x cant engage me for TEN ******** minutes, wtf?'  
'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games