Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
'She's Welsh,' 'No way! D: ' Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Donna Lewis is Welsh!
  No way!
View Results

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:12 pm
Today i was looking for some Pop music in Welsh, and instead found a Wiki article with Popular Welsh singers in the 1990's, and whos on there you wonder?

Donna Lewis.

Who made it big here in America with 'I love you always forever' and became uber popular. Shes my moms favourite singer, but for some reason we assumed she was American..she sure sounds it!

* Have you ever been surprised where a singer/actor is from?

* Do you know any good pop in the Welsh language?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:01 pm
I saw the 'W' word and got excited XD
I don't even know who Donna Lewis is sweatdrop Most Welsh singers sing with American accents >< I was surprised when I found out that Bullet for my Valentine are Welsh XD

I don't listen to much pop >.<; I think Fflur Dafydd and Elin Fflur are pop, but I'm not sure.

Daionii

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:24 pm
Daionii
I saw the 'W' word and got excited XD
I don't even know who Donna Lewis is sweatdrop Most Welsh singers sing with American accents >< I was surprised when I found out that Bullet for my Valentine are Welsh XD

I don't listen to much pop >.<; I think Fflur Dafydd and Elin Fflur are pop, but I'm not sure.

Haha, i thought you would XD
You're the only Welsh gal in the guild i think x3

Are they really?! Wow, i knew they were Britons of some sort.
I did know Duffy was, but she doesnt sing in her mother tongue ;-;

I did find Meinir Gwilym who sings in mostly Welsh from what i see >_>

Recently, i've really got into Welsh and started looking for more music in the language. It honestly sounds like the language MADE for music ^-^  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm
I'm so special :B
Oh yuh! Meinir Gwilym! Forgot about her xD;
I think Duffy used to, I'm not sure >.< I think she won the Welsh version of Pop Idol / X Factor etc and sang in Welsh for a while.
What about Cerys Matthews? =3
Awwh, awesome! ^.^ Well I guess we're called The Land of the Song for a reason then XD
There's a free CD you can download from Danycownter3.com if you like ^__^'

Daionii

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:14 pm
Daionii
I'm so special :B
Oh yuh! Meinir Gwilym! Forgot about her xD;
I think Duffy used to, I'm not sure >.< I think she won the Welsh version of Pop Idol / X Factor etc and sang in Welsh for a while.
What about Cerys Matthews? =3
Awwh, awesome! ^.^ Well I guess we're called The Land of the Song for a reason then XD
There's a free CD you can download from Danycownter3.com if you like ^__^'

*is in Welsh music Heaven*

Don't mind if i do ^______________^  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 am
Charlotte Church is Welsh! I adore her. heart  

horseluvrelisha

Miyalara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:46 pm
Surprisingly enough ABBA doesn't speak a word of English even though all of their music is in English. They are all from Sweden and didn't even know what they were singing...I always thought they were American or English from how well they spoke/snag it. Honestly, I was surprised.^^ They are awesome!

I know this was for Welsh singers but you did ask about if you were surprised where a singer/actor was from and I thought that was appropriate of ABBA, if it wasn't I will remove my post immediately. I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:49 am
I have not been surprised, but Bullet for my Valentine being welsh surprised me..

*cough*Tom Jones*cough*  

Verderbnis
Crew

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:15 pm
I discovered that several bands I liked were Canadian. I'm not sure why it surprised me, they are my northern neighbors.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:54 pm
RubyLight
I discovered that several bands I liked were Canadian. Im not sure why it surprised me, they are my northern neighbors.

Me too :O
Like Nickel Back, they sooo don't sound Canadian XD  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:53 pm
Now I'm curious. What would Canadian sound like? (Especially vs. American sound)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 am
I never really heard a difference between canadian and american english, there are some different words for some things and maybe it's a bit of the pronounciation of other words.

American english is very related to german, because of the grammar and connection of words, that's why I prefer to use the american form, it just makes things easier.

But back to topic;

I was really surprised, that I found out that the Rolling Stones and Ozzy Osbourne came from the UK (I don't know the exact region, of them)

And Motörhead being from there, too...  

Verderbnis
Crew

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 am
Wouldn't that be considered the second wave of the British Invasion?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:38 pm
I don't know, but the UK is one of the regions where the basics of my favourite music originate from.  

Verderbnis
Crew

Higara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:30 pm
There's loads of Welsh singers and bands! Lost Prophets is a pop band that I was surprised to be welsh. Considering how American pop/rock their stuff sounds.

Favourite welsh band would probably be Sterio Phonics xp So welsh that their old albums sounded like they were singing in welsh when they were actualy singing in english.

Speaking of people you're surprised to be welsh Christian Bale would be one. Guy who did Dark Knight and American Psycho.  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff