*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
HELP! Yoga: Good or Bad? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should a Christian do Yoga if they want to?
  Yes. It's fine. Just be careful (please post why).
  No. It's bad and the Bible tells me why (please post).
  I'm not sure.
View Results

Vondra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:26 pm
In order to stay out of this debate. (Apparently, every thread turns into a debating zone now in LTFF. o_O I thought that this guild wasn't about debating but more of helping each other in Biblical ways since this is a Christian guild.)

Also, since you seem to still live with your parents, I would suggest that you honor your parents as Exodus 20:12 tells. Maybe you can politely ask the PE teacher(s) if you can sit out while they are doing Yoga or ask if you can do an alternative to Yoga. I also suggest doing pilates which is another form of exercise but, from what I have studied and heard, does not have any roots in the spiritual realm. smile Hope my advice helps.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 pm
Vondra has great advice.  

SloanSage

divineseraph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:07 am
No offense, but your mom is a retard.

Quashing things like free thought, meditation and reasoning is just stupidity. Seriously, if she's up in arms about a stretch, she needs to calm down. People like her disgust me.

[Edited for language by Ablazed: You don't need to use language like this to emphasize your point. Also, please tone down the insults.]  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:46 am
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
I'm guessing this is love
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
You're the remedy to my heartbreak
Wouldn't have it any other way
Hope this never dies...

DivineSeraph, I think you need to reread the rules of this guild, or perhaps read them if you haven't read them yet. Pay especially close attention to the rule about respect and the rule about keeping your language clean.

I feel a little strange
You go straight to my brain
Drivin' me oh so crazy
Between the sound and lights
You got me hypnotized
And if there never comes a sunrise
Well, that'd be just fine
This will never die...

Mistifear

SloanSage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 pm
And currently she is living in her mother's house, so unless she can get a job and pay her way to a new place to live, she has to do what her mom says, and the Bible DOES say that we should respect our parents.

And if she really wants to do yoga, she should get a ton of information on it (and some Christian material concerning it, or even ask a pastor) and sit down and discuss it with her mother without many emotions and with understanding of where her mother is coming from.

Basically, a parent's job is to protect their child. this might just be one way her mother feels like she is protecting her.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:26 am
Well, it's an idiotic way of protecting, stifling thought.

Respect your parents, sure. This doesn't give them any sort of dogma, nor does it make them right. And as it is now, she is just being foolish.  

divineseraph

SloanSage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:27 am
She will honor god by listening and respecting her parent's thoughts and wishes. And those thoughts and wishes do not keep her from following God's law. (since breaking God's law is the only time you are to do anything against any authority)  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm
No, that's just not right.

She will hold honor to God by holding honor to God. Not by doing something some other mortal wants to try to force on her.  

divineseraph

Vondra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm
SloanSage
(since breaking God's law is the only time you are to do anything against any authority)
I think I may be misunderstanding. Are you saying that in order for someone to break the law, they will have to also break God's law too?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:50 pm
divineseraph

She will hold honor to God by holding honor to God. Not by doing something some other mortal wants to try to force on her.
In this case, holding honor to God means to honor and obey his commandments. (The 10 commandments are found in Exodus 20.)
They are as follows:
1. Have no other gods before Him.
2. Do not make idols (graven images) and bow down or worship them.
3. Do not take the Lord's name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.
10. Do not covet.

I do also believe in free will, free speach, and just freedom in general. While she does have the freedom to chose whether she wants to obey her parents or not or to follow God in this matter or not, it does depend upon her and only her. Some religions have certain standards or rules to follow. (Example: Muslims are to pray five times a day facing towards the Kaaba in Mecca.) And to honor her parents is something that our God told us to do.  

Vondra

SloanSage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:35 pm
Which is God's law.

We break the world's laws when they try to make us break God's law.

God's law is to be upheld, no matter what.

Sorry if I confused you.

But God's law is sacred, including the commandment of honoring ones parents.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:37 pm
Vondra
divineseraph

In this case, holding honor to God means to honor and obey his commandments. (The 10 commandments are found in Exodus 20.)
They are as follows:
1. Have no other gods before Him.
2. Do not make idols (graven images) and bow down or worship them.
3. Do not take the Lord's name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.
10. Do not covet.

I do also believe in free will, free speach, and just freedom in general. While she does have the freedom to chose whether she wants to obey her parents or not or to follow God in this matter or not, it does depend upon her and only her. Some religions have certain standards or rules to follow. (Example: Muslims are to pray five times a day facing towards the Kaaba in Mecca.) And to honor her parents is something that our God told us to do.

What if the parents are dead-out wrong? What if they worship satan? Is it still best to respect the parents in such juxtaposition? Or do you break God's commandment, thus turning from God, to turn to God?

If God wants you to think reasonably and use your mind (As I'm sure He does), and it is acceptable to break a rule or two for the greater ideas of God, then ignoring your mother's rediculous claims is warranted.  

divineseraph

Mistifear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:41 pm
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
Hope this never dies...

We are to respect authority and God's law. If authority goes against God, God comes first. I'm sorry if I'm being redundant, but I've always understood it to be like that. You should respect your parents so long as they are not going against God with their rules and such.

I feel a little strange
Drivin' me oh so crazy
You got me hypnotized
This will never die...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:12 pm
Like I said in my post...

If it goes against God, then go against it (whatever goes against God) and go TO God.

God does not say, Thou Shall Not Do Yoga, nor does He say, Yoga is Great!

So... her mother wishes this one thing to protect her daughter from any un-godly influences. THAT IS NOT BAD!!!!!

She should go with her mother's idea until she can go out on her own. If she so desires, then she can do Yoga.

It is NOT stupid to follow your parent's rules (unless it is "worship Satan" and then... she should run to a pastor and try to secede from the family if they threaten her... but that is not happening in this case.).

You may think that way, but you also curse in you signature and in posts. And you are using that word incorrectly.  

SloanSage

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:53 am
Mistifear
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
Hope this never dies...

We are to respect authority and God's law. If authority goes against God, God comes first. I'm sorry if I'm being redundant, but I've always understood it to be like that. You should respect your parents so long as they are not going against God with their rules and such.

I feel a little strange
Drivin' me oh so crazy
You got me hypnotized
This will never die...

So God's will to have you think and reason overrides her mother's authority of quashing thought.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff