*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
HELP! Yoga: Good or Bad? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should a Christian do Yoga if they want to?
  Yes. It's fine. Just be careful (please post why).
  No. It's bad and the Bible tells me why (please post).
  I'm not sure.
View Results

emeebee

Fashionable Nerd

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:50 pm

I like stretching and have wanted to try yoga for a while. Finally, in PE we did some.
But I hadn't tried it before that PE class because of my mom.
She's freaky when it comes to yoga. She's completley anti-yoga and grounds that opinion with her faith in the Lord.
Mainly because of this article.
Now. You don't have to read it but it has a couple of good points.

But I want your opinion. Can a Christian do yoga? Is yoga a sin? I want to do yoga but I don't want to be a bad witness. Is that possible?

Please let me know what you think.

EDIT: I get that there is a lot of debate and I'm wondering if I can elaborate just a bit. I'm less worried about it's origins and usage and I'm more worried about bearing false witness. I want to set a good example and not come off as hypocritical. I want to be a Christian and have an explanation for when people ask me "well, Yoga is Hindu and you're a Christian so why do you do Yoga?" And I want that response to be grounded in Christ and his word.

ALSO!! If you have a link to a Yoga podcast, that would be super wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 pm
Honestly, I don't see their point about it being bad. Before I read that, I thought of yoga as a way to stretch and relax. It seems to me, that if you think of it as that, it should be fine.  

stickyfeet

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 am
Yoga is a way of relaxing. It's supposed to relieve yourself of all the negative energies around you. So yeah it's good. I mean you don't want all the negative energies building up inside. That's bad for you and your health. ya know?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:06 pm
Here is the best definition of yoga that isn't completely westernized.

"The literal translation of the word yoga is "yolk" meaning unite. Yoga is the union of the various aspects of our being, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Yoga is a journey of self-discovery and ultimately union with the Divine. It is an ancient system of relaxation, exercise and healing with roots in Indian philosophy. It is not a religion, although its concepts lie at the heart of every religion."
Thats from this link:
http://www.medfinds.com/areas_of_expertise_definitions.html?definition=Hatha Yoga

When I say "westernized" I mean that in North America yoga is mainly treated as a form of relaxation and excercise but if you look at the roots of yoga based in India, that isn't really the purpose. In India yoga is associated most often with the Hindu religion and it is designed to "yolk" you with the "divine" aka the Gods and Goddesses.

It is good that you are concerned about your testimony of Christ and being a witness of His life. As Christians we have been united with God through Jesus and it doesn't take us to perform yoga to be yoked with Him. Also, some people from India(including my Christian friend) would be confused if they saw a Christian practicing yoga because of its ties with Hinduism.

I hope I wrote that all out ok. Sorry that its sort of long....in short, you probably shouldn't practice yoga. And in regards to relieving negative energy, its called sin and Christ is the only way to overcome it.  

Herself Online

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Herself Online

"The literal translation of the word yoga is "yolk" meaning unite. Yoga is the union of the various aspects of our being, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Yoga is a journey of self-discovery and ultimately union with the Divine. It is an ancient system of relaxation, exercise and healing with roots in Indian philosophy. It is not a religion, although its concepts lie at the heart of every religion."
Thats from this link:
http://www.medfinds.com/areas_of_expertise_definitions.html?definition=Hatha Yoga

When I say "westernized" I mean that in North America yoga is mainly treated as a form of relaxation and excercise but if you look at the roots of yoga based in India, that isn't really the purpose. In India yoga is associated most often with the Hindu religion and it is designed to "yolk" you with the "divine" aka the Gods and Goddesses.

It is good that you are concerned about your testimony of Christ and being a witness of His life. As Christians we have been united with God through Jesus and it doesn't take us to perform yoga to be yoked with Him. Also, some people from India(including my Christian friend) would be confused if they saw a Christian practicing yoga because of its ties with Hinduism.

I hope I wrote that all out ok. Sorry that its sort of long....in short, you probably shouldn't practice yoga. And in regards to relieving negative energy, its called sin and Christ is the only way to overcome it.
Umm not really. Last I checked, stressing out isn't a sin nor is there a sin associated with stress. That's the negative energy I'm talking about. -.-  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:34 pm
Dark Angel Rai
Herself Online

Thats from this link:

Umm not really. Last I checked, stressing out isn't a sin nor is there a sin associated with stress. That's the negative energy I'm talking about. -.-

Well what is stress but fear? Some fear is logical (like for example both your parents have lost their jobs and they can't pay the bills) and some is not. Fear isn't classified directly as sin but we as Christians are called to not be afraid.

Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you;
He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. - Psalm 55:22

For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. - 2 Tim. 1:7

Fear can be a negative thing and it can be positive. The reason why we fear(the bad kind) things is because we believe that those things have power over us to do ill(like losing your house will put you out on the street). We are called to fear(the good kind) the Lord,to recognize that He is almighty and all powerful and to trust that in whatever we are going through, He will take care of us.  

Herself Online

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:36 pm
Herself Online
Dark Angel Rai
Herself Online

Thats from this link:

Well what is stress but fear? Some fear is logical (like for example both your parents have lost their jobs and they can't pay the bills) and some is not. Fear isn't classified directly as sin but we as Christians are called to not be afraid.

Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you;
He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. - Psalm 55:22

For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. - 2 Tim. 1:7

Fear can be a negative thing and it can be positive. The reason why we fear(the bad kind) things is because we believe that those things have power over us to do ill(like losing your house will put you out on the street). We are called to fear(the good kind) the Lord,to recognize that He is almighty and all powerful and to trust that in whatever we are going through, He will take care of us.
Nothing good never comes out of fear. That fear can one day turn into hatred. Look at what happened to the Druids. They were nearly wiped out because the Early Christians feared them and their magick.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:49 pm
"Nothing good never comes out of fear. That fear can one day turn into hatred. Look at what happened to the Druids. They were nearly wiped out because the Early Christians feared them and their magick."

I think that when we fear things we are in belief that the thing which we are fearing has power over us. I don't think fear(or reverence) is bad, it just depends on what you are placing that in.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom..." Part of Psalm 111:10

You should PM me Dark Angel so we can talk about this without clogging up this thread about yoga ^_^  

Herself Online

Tarrou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:15 am
First, don't trust people who are trying to sell you something. Of course the article that you linked to comes out against yoga as 'un-Christian'--the author is trying to sell you her 'alternative' exercise program. Let's just say she has an incentive to...exaggerate.

Secondly, yoga in the West is generally practiced without any particular spiritual component. It's just a bunch of stretching and posing and deep breathing for people who like spending an hour or so sitting on a little mat. By way of analogy, yoga classes are to yoga as Christmas trees are to Thor's Oak.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:12 am
meditation is apparently "bad" (but depends on what type)
but i dont think yoga is..its just stretching  

No place like 127 0 0 1

Fallpray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 pm
Yoga has its roots in Hinduism. My pastor did mention that is why Christians should not practise it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:20 pm
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
I'm guessing this is love
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
You're the remedy to my heartbreak
Wouldn't have it any other way
Hope this never dies...

Wow... I don't see the problem with Yoga at all.

I'm a Christian and I did yoga for three years.

The only problem I would see with it was if you were involved in a group that was also teaching the Hindu beliefs about yoga and the fundamentals of it. And actually, it's also used in Buddhism.

Over all, as a form of exercise, I don't see a problem with Christians doing Yoga.

I feel a little strange
You go straight to my brain
Drivin' me oh so crazy
Between the sound and lights
You got me hypnotized
And if there never comes a sunrise
Well, that'd be just fine
This will never die...

Mistifear

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:30 pm
No place like 127 0 0 1
meditation is apparently "bad" (but depends on what type)
but i dont think yoga is..its just stretching
Meditation is meditation. It helps get rid of your anxieites, and negative energy. Your stress. There is nothing wrong with getting rid of those things. If you are stressed out too much then you can get sick or worse. There is a mind body connection. And doctors, scientists, psychologists, etc aren't kidding about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 pm
The Bible tells us to meditate, but to meditate on God's word.

Don't do the whole Buddhist Zen thing, because is against Christianity.

I think your mom is just worried that you might go to extremes.

I do yoga, and it is very healthy. I look for podcasts that have nothing about Zen in them at all, and I am fine.

Also, there are Christian yoga things (clubs, gyms, classes, videos... stuff like that)

You can totally do yoga.  

SloanSage

Mistifear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:36 am
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
I'm guessing this is love
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
You're the remedy to my heartbreak
Wouldn't have it any other way
Hope this never dies...

Also, one thing that I didn't mention before, you could always turn the meditation times into prayer times. I know that's what I used to do when I was doing yoga. I actually have solved many a problem that way XD

I feel a little strange
You go straight to my brain
Drivin' me oh so crazy
Between the sound and lights
You got me hypnotized
And if there never comes a sunrise
Well, that'd be just fine
This will never die...

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff