Reply Language General Discussions
English (ESL) General Discussion Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

snubsnub

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 pm
I'm a native English speaker, and I don't hate the language. I actually like the sound of it. ._.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:38 pm
English isn't my native tongue but I don't mind the language. I find it interesting and I like how different people pronounces the word in various ways. I just don't like it when teenagers "over slang" English  

HollaAtChaBoii

MiasmaMoon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:02 pm
Fatal Hilarity
Was "have" originally a verb, or did people only start using it instead of "have got"?

Also, are all Oxford Dictionaries British-English dictionaries only? My mother brouhgt me an American-English dictionary today, and thinking about it, I think it's the first time I've ever had or seen a specific one.

"Have" is the original verb, yes. In the case of "have got," "have" is used as an auxilary verb.

For example, it's used in the same ways as these words:

have eaten
have paid
have left

The first have is used to show possession. (Ex: I have three dogs, etc.)

I use Oxford dictionaries at home, and I think it shows both spellings. I'm not sure, however. (I need to read dictionaries more thoroughly, eh? ninja )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:01 am
MiasmaMoon
Fatal Hilarity
Was "have" originally a verb, or did people only start using it instead of "have got"?

Also, are all Oxford Dictionaries British-English dictionaries only? My mother brouhgt me an American-English dictionary today, and thinking about it, I think it's the first time I've ever had or seen a specific one.

"Have" is the original verb, yes. In the case of "have got," "have" is used as an auxilary verb.

have eaten
have paid
have left

I use Oxford dictionaries at home, and I think it shows both spellings. I'm not sure, however. (I need to read dictionaries more thoroughly, eh? ninja )

It should be "have gotten" instead of "have got." I don't know why many people don't get that!  

419scambaiterKoko

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:47 pm
Koko.Dk
MiasmaMoon
Fatal Hilarity

have eaten
have paid
have left

It should be "have gotten" instead of "have got." I don't know why many people don't get that!
It depends on the dialect.
Besides, "got" has two different meanings, which could be confusing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 pm
Koko.Dk
Not exactly. True, if you mean get as in to obtain, or in idiomatic expressions, then you would use gotten (as in, "I would have gotten a dog if it weren't for my landlord" or "I thought I'd gotten rid of you!"). However, "have got" is another way to say have. For example, "do you have the keys?" means the same thing as "have you got the keys?" It's used pretty informally in the US but in British English it's very common.  

Doktoro Esperanto

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:01 pm
Well, you could also say, 'I have got to go,' I think.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 pm
Doppelgaanger
Well, you could also say, 'I have got to go,' I think.

I say that >_>
I also use it in spanish, correct or not x3  

PiercedPixie2

Nicotine Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:42 pm
Koko.Dk
KrazyassKow
Yeah, english is the most complicated language because of all the exceptions and pronunciations and such.

not exactly Finnish is
but English is # 3 on the hardest languages list

Bah! No, Finnish is incredibly easy. For me at least.
German is very very hard for me...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 am
There are studies by the military that say Japanese is the hardest. Obviously, there is no hardest language. Well, at the very least, it varies person to person.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 pm
Jazzy-Devine
Koko.Dk
KrazyassKow
Yeah, english is the most complicated language because of all the exceptions and pronunciations and such.

not exactly Finnish is
but English is # 3 on the hardest languages list

Bah! No, Finnish is incredibly easy. For me at least.
German is very very hard for me...

Let's compare the ******** languages shall we?

German: 4 cases (Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative)
Finnish: 15 cases (Nominative {and accusative together}, genitive, partitive, inessive, elative, adessive, ablative, allative, essive , exessive (Dialectical), translative, abessive, and comitative).

Pronounciation:
German: the gutteral "ch" sound in nicht, the "ch" sound in huge or ich, the uvular trill "r."
Finnish: very easy

Word order:
German: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Language#Word_order
Finnish: Depends on it's cases

Like Doppelgaanger said it depends on where you are coming from. Most English speakers find Finnish a lot harder compared to German. Is your native language Finnish, Estonian, Karelian, or is it English? If it's English, I having ******** idea why you found it so easy. I just started German after studying my heart and soul into Danish and found that it was easier than Danish and since I attempted Finnish too, I say German was easier for me
I've studied Danish hun, (Pronounciation hell), it's much harder than German. German and English are related and you should be able to pick out some familiar words.
I like Finnish, don't get me wrong but it's so difficult because of it's cases that I can't put a sentence together without the question of case getting in the way.

*I'm swearing because today was stressful, I have to find another job and my mother is losing her job too because how bad things are where she is working. It is under investigation right now and since her boss quit everyone's out of job. So yeah sorry if I offended you with the "********>  
Language General Discussions

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff