His Dark Materials Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Great Lion
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 pm
Okay, so I bought Pullman's HDM trilogy: Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass all in one easy to read compendium. I hope to get most of the way through if not totally finished by the time The Golden Compass movie comes out.

Has anyone else heard of Pullman and this trilogy? I admit its really starting to wear my nerves when I see a movie that looks fresh and original only to find out some dip s**t director made a screen play copy. If you have read it, what kind of things are you looking forward to seeing in the movie? Do you even like the books?

the Lion  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 pm
i have only read the first one, and from the trailer they show over and over again on tv, it looks like they follow it pretty well... my favorite part of the book is the bear, Iorek i think, and it looks like they did a really awesome job on him whee my friend in biology is supposed to bring my the second and third so that i can finish the series, but she has problems remembering stuff so i have no idea when i will get around to reading the others... i have heard some debate on the movie, mainly from my super religious aunt, that say the movie is like super blasphemous, but i don't know... what do all you avid readers think? 3nodding  

xX_Flame_Kissed_Xx

Faery of Loki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:12 am
Yes I have heard of the books. I have read them all. I actually was able to buy the Amber Spyglass the day before it was publicly released because my friend was able to buy it at his job. ^_^

Anyway, as for the religious thing. Pah. It has such an odd and different philisophical take to it. I adored it for all the things it made me think about differently. People can claim blasphemy all they want. They probably barely read the books to begin with.

I am hoping that the movie does the book the justise it deserves. But with Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter, I don't know. That one threw me off. But we'll see.

Oh, The Great Lion, I greatly suggest Pullman's other works as well. They are nothing like His Dark Materials. But still beautifully crafted in their own special way.

senshixdoukeshi rolled 1 20-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-20)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:19 pm
I'm reading through the second book "The Subtle Knife" as we speak and I'm almost done. I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to the movie as well, but I will say there is a bit of awkward with it all.

My mother is a hardcore (currently being fanatical) Christian and has bought into all the s**t about the books being the anti-Narnia. I'm atheist, so the books can't hurt my feelings any, plus they offer all sorts of really interesing viewpoints.  

senshixdoukeshi

Leavaros
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:32 pm
*rolls eyes* From what I understand, it's the Catholic church that's up in arms (again), mostly because of the Magisterium, and it's following. Doesn't it seem like the people who piss off the Pope get rich quick? (Dan Brown, anyone?)
-LD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:34 am
i have just gotten the second book from a friend today and plan on starting it when i get home from school... stare honestly, i don't get the whole deal with the church. last time i checked, the series was in the FICTION part of the book store, and all these people should understand that before they get their pants all in a wad. if someone doesn't want to read it, or doesn't want their kids to, then it is perfectly fine for them to do so, but they should keep the decision to themselves.

i'm looking forward to the movie, it looks pretty sweet, and i'm tired of getting e-mails and pms telling me i can't watch it because it is so un-holy. *sighs* i think someone just wanted to get a few minutes of notice and fame. anyways, i know i plan to see it opening weekend...

~Aril  

xX_Flame_Kissed_Xx

The Great Lion
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:37 pm
I'm partly into the Golden Compass right now and I can already see the religious undertones. It's a good book, Uncle Azriel in my mind's eye looks nothing like Daniel Craig but even so, it doesn't matter.

I saw the movie last night with my girl friend and wow. It isn't a good wow, but it isn't a bad wow either. The movie went terribly fast, like, 70m/h fast. Every scene ended as fast as the new one came up. I loved the bears though, holy cow, awesome. The part where the girl's bear knocks the jaw clean off the king saw my jaw hit the floor, I was NOT expecting that at all.

Didn't like Kidman in the movie, I haven't gotten to her character's part in the novel but I don't know, I just hated her in the movie, terrible acting, same with Craig, they should have kept the cast unknown instead of throwing in two heavy hitters plus Ian Mckellen and Saurumon from LotR. Frankly I'm getting tired of seeing those two in the same movies, like christ look at different scripts!

I'll stop ranting, but before I do, I agree with what was said above, these books are fictional, however, if you think carefully even about the Bible, you'll find anti-Roman metaphors and undertones in it as well. I think that if the Christians and Catholic leagues were going to crucify Pullman they should have done it along side Harry Potter when the books were first published. I understand that these books reflect a very real Christian mindset about keeping the public ignorant and in line, slander me if you will but its true, but even so these books are works of fiction, and in my opinion they don't seek to attack God but rather the insane governments that have sprung up in his name.

the Lion  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:22 pm
Well put, Lion. I'm not gonna watch the movie till I read the book.
-LD  

Leavaros
Crew

xX_Flame_Kissed_Xx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm
*cheers and applause* very well said lion. i totally agree with you when you said:

Quote:
...they don't seek to attack God but rather the insane governments that have sprung up in his name.

sadly, it seems to much to expect a movie to be as good as a book, but is sounds like it is still rather cool. the bears are my favorite part, so i look forward to that 3nodding and yeah, i saw the hints of religious reference when i read the first one, but, me not being overly religious myself, it was easy to see from the books perspective and still enjoy the piece.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 am
I have read all of the books and I love them. I have to agree with The Great Lion when he said that if they were going to go on a rampage about the books, they should have done it when they were written. Also, such Fanatical Christians make me ashamed. I am a Christian and, yes I can see a little where the fanatics are coming from, but not to the extent. When I read the book, it wasn't slandering God, but the human fallicy that has followed the religion since it was just the Hebrews constantly and consistently disobeying him and getting into trouble just to have him pull them out.
Now, I am going to stop before I get into a full blown rant as well. But, all in all I can't wait to see the movie either.

P.S. one thing I do know they got wrong in the movie. Lyra's alitheometer was not the last, just one of the last.  

Gryphonchild

HerMan -Mister Shines-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:40 am
I'll watch the movie, and if it's too cliche, then I won't even bother reading it. I have better books to read. (i.e. anything else)

--HerMan Shines  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:35 am
I saw the movie and I htink they did a pretty good job. I'm also about to start on the third one! And I think my dad might be one of those people who don't like it because of the atheism. sweatdrop He didn't look happy when I said I wanted to read it.  

Dodger Basilico

anna-the-spanner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:19 pm
yeah, i;'ve got all of the books and i think they're amazing! xd
but, i have seen the film and it was a little bit of a letdown. crying cos, they left so much out. and most of the people behind me were going " i dont get it". domokun xp
but, hey, who am i to complain, it had Daniel Craig in it heart blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:53 am
I actually didnt know there was a movie being made!!

I am interested to see how it goes, I really enjoyed the trilogy

can anyone tell me what actors are going to be in it?  

Lyramel

habiku

5,400 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:38 pm
the movie is only half of the book and half of the info in the movie is wrong.... the boy she is with in the end to find her dad is suppose to be dead and she was suppose to cross into another world which doesn't happen... the movie only goes to the middle of the book and then stops, they probably will end up making 6 movies if they keep this up. I loved the books thou!!!  
The FSFBG

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff