Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Favorite Romance Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Herry Rockabore

Shadowy Explorer

11,700 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 pm
Luna Lumine
Herry Rockabore
Athena_68
I liked Theseus and Ariandae(I think I misspelled that)
Didn't Theseus ditch her when he couldn't being her along and Dionysus and his partiers saw her and he made her his bride? That actually sounds like a really awesome love story in itself.

I like Orpheus and Eurydice a lot because it spawned a great deal of modern ideas of love and loss. As well as Orion and Artemis.

But hey why should guy-girl ones be the only important ones? I want to hear about the guy-guy and girl-girl ones that no one ever talks about.

Anyway I think I'll make MY OWN made-up pairing and say that if Persephone and Sisyphus got together it would make for a REALLY interesting love story. It would be cool if she fell for him and snuck him out when she goes back to the land of the living. I'd really like to see someone else toy with that idea or put it in an RP or something because I just think it would be cool to see.

No thanks, I'd rather Hades and Persephone not be messed up, they're almost perfect!

And not to be ignorant, but there are girl/girl and boy/boy romances in Greek Mythology? I didn't know that! What are they?

I read on a website deticated to mythology that described the male-male relationship between Achiles and one of his "close-friends" (AKA lovers) and Heracles had Hylas and some other guy. Plus I heard about Poseidon and the son of Tantylus. I can't really remember much of the names so I'm not sure if it got stuff muddled, after vacation I'll correct/elaborate on what I said later.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:40 pm
Herry Rockabore
Luna Lumine
Herry Rockabore
Athena_68
Didn't Theseus ditch her when he couldn't being her along and Dionysus and his partiers saw her and he made her his bride? That actually sounds like a really awesome love story in itself.

I like Orpheus and Eurydice a lot because it spawned a great deal of modern ideas of love and loss. As well as Orion and Artemis.

But hey why should guy-girl ones be the only important ones? I want to hear about the guy-guy and girl-girl ones that no one ever talks about.

Anyway I think I'll make MY OWN made-up pairing and say that if Persephone and Sisyphus got together it would make for a REALLY interesting love story. It would be cool if she fell for him and snuck him out when she goes back to the land of the living. I'd really like to see someone else toy with that idea or put it in an RP or something because I just think it would be cool to see.

No thanks, I'd rather Hades and Persephone not be messed up, they're almost perfect!

And not to be ignorant, but there are girl/girl and boy/boy romances in Greek Mythology? I didn't know that! What are they?

I read on a website deticated to mythology that described the male-male relationship between Achiles and one of his "close-friends" (AKA lovers) and Heracles had Hylas and some other guy. Plus I heard about Poseidon and the son of Tantylus. I can't really remember much of the names so I'm not sure if it got stuff muddled, after vacation I'll correct/elaborate on what I said later.

Heracles' other lover was his nephew Iolaus.

Apollo had several male lovers including Hyakinthos who was killed by Zephyros because he was jealous. Also Kyparissos who Apollo turned into a cypress tree after grieving the loss of his pet stag which was a gift from Apollo.

There's also Ganymedes who Zeus fell in love with and kidnapped while disguised as an eagle to replace ********* as the god's cup-bearer. Hera was not at all pleased.

Perseus is sometimes said to to be one of Hermes' male lovers along with Krokos who Hermes turned into a flower after he accidently killed him while playing discus.

Poseidon had Nerites who was his charioteer and Pelops who as Herry Rockabore mentioned was a son of Tantalus.

At the moment I don't know of any female/female myths. I do know that the poet Sappho was considered to be a lesbian, seeing as she wrote several erotic letters to some of her female students. And some people suspect that Persephone and Hekate might have been lovers but it's mostly speculation. If anyone knows of any actual myths let me know! I'm curious!  

Katastrophic_Kate

Herry Rockabore

Shadowy Explorer

11,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:12 pm
Katastrophic_Kate
Herry Rockabore
Luna Lumine
Herry Rockabore
Athena_68

Apollo had several male lovers including Hyakinthos who was killed by Zephyros because he was jealous. Also Kyparissos who Apollo turned into a cypress tree after grieving the loss of his pet stag which was a gift from Apollo.

There's also Ganymedes who Zeus fell in love with and kidnapped while disguised as an eagle to replace ********* as the god's cup-bearer. Hera was not at all pleased.

Perseus is sometimes said to to be one of Hermes' male lovers along with Krokos who Hermes turned into a flower after he accidently killed him while playing discus.

Poseidon had Nerites who was his charioteer and Pelops who as Herry Rockabore mentioned was a son of Tantalus.

At the moment I don't know of any female/female myths. I do know that the poet Sappho was considered to be a lesbian, seeing as she wrote several erotic letters to some of her female students. And some people suspect that Persephone and Hekate might have been lovers but it's mostly speculation. If anyone knows of any actual myths let me know! I'm curious!
Thanks Kate that was really informative. Thanks for mentioning it. I never heard about Hekate and Persephone being lovers but that's a really interesting idea. If only I heard about that relationship to see how and if it worked.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:31 pm
Katastrophic_Kate
Herry Rockabore
Luna Lumine
Herry Rockabore
Athena_68

I haven't read any hardcore myths, but I Callisto was tricked by Zeus when he took the form of Artemis xd Poor Callisto. But femaleXfemale relationships in the Myth's are practically non existant , I mean not even the Amazons did eachother. >.> Im going to go look into this.. this is an area of greek mythology I havent completely explored yet  

Lenimph

DeleteThisInactiveAccount

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:20 pm
I've found an article on Persephone and Hekate, though it's a little vague on their relationship it shows that the only dieties Hekate associated with other than Zeus (possibly her father), were Persephone and Hades. It's mostly about Hekate, but it's something. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/420563/the_myth_of_hekate_goddess_of_light.html?cat=37 I'll keep looking though.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:26 pm
omg-- google also has some stuff about Hekate and Hermes o.O they were the parents of Circe. did everyone know this but me?  

DeleteThisInactiveAccount

Herry Rockabore

Shadowy Explorer

11,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 pm
Luna Lumine
omg-- google also has some stuff about Hekate and Hermes o.O they were the parents of Circe. did everyone know this but me?
I didn't know that but it certainly makes sense.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 am
Echo and Narcissus was pretty sad. My second favorite.
But my favorite would have to be Eros and Psyche. It was great, but it was so sad!

within love

Devout Grabber

Midnight Shadow Fae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 pm
Achilles male lover was Patroclus for those that were interested. For some reason male homosexual relationships are prominent in mythology but not female. This is probably because of greek relationship customs. One of the girls in one of my classes did a speech on homosexuality (the class was on perceptions of masculinity) through out the ages and in her speech she talked about in ancient Greece young men were partnered up with an older man and taught how to be lovers, then when they were older their mentor would marry a (much younger) woman and start a family. The young man would then become the mentor and be partnered with a younger man, etc. so essentially there were three types of seuxal relationships in ancient Greece. I honestly don't know anything about the feminine side of the relationship scale but I'm pretty sure that women were expected to be "pure" before marriage so that may explain it.

On topic though, my all-time favourite pairing is Hades and Persephone, followed by Eros and Psyche and then Dionysus and Ariadne.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:38 pm
That's easy. My favorite romance is Eros and Psyche. It proves love can flourish even when its goddess doesn't want it to.  

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100

Sindavra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:20 am
That's Hard. All I can say is I like most of them except the Io one.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 am
hmm... I would say either Adonis and Aphrodite or Heracles and Megara (the one where Hera makes him kill his family crying so sad...)  

joshleal

3,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200

Hawkfishy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:24 pm
Cupid and Psyche - It's so beautiful.. I must say this is not only my favorite Romantic tale but also favorite myth too. :3

Echo and Narcissus - It's sad.

Pygmalion and Galatea - I enjoy this one for some reason. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45 pm
yes definitely hades and persephone. cute.  

Tori the iguanaluver

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:39 pm
I think the one about the son of Hermes and Aphrodite and that nymph was nice.

He entered a pool, and the nymph fell in love with him. She asked the gods to let him stay with her forever, and when she jumped in the pool, the two combined together. They had to live together like that.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff