Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Straight friends being attracted to you

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Not British Just Gay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 am
It happens to me allll the time. I don't care, I've met a couple of friends just because I thought that they were attractive, and they turned out to be straight but were awesome people.

One of my close (straight) friends said that he feels really guilty because that keeps happening to him though. He obviously respects their orientation and wants to be friends but he either can't help feeling attracted to them or can't undo the fact that he's tried flirting with them. He feels guilty for it, and is nervous to try flirting with girls for fear that they're lesbians now. I don't know how to reassure him since I can only speak for myself. Unless you're super-obviously gay, would that sort of thing bother you?

I'm not talking about people who are just hitting on you, or the idiots who think you'll change, but people you were already making friends with who didn't know your orientation yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 am
Wow...this is kind of a reversal of the norm. Honestly, I don't think many gay people would have a problem with this. The vast majority of people in this world are straight, and so most people kind of assume everyone is. I had two girls in high school ask me out, and it didn't offend me (of course at the time I was denying my sexuality). If a woman were to ask me out today, I'd be flattered more than anything. It just means that they find you attractive, not that they are judging you in any negative way. In my eyes, it is the opposite that you have to worry about. If you ask out someone of the same sex and they are straight, they are much more likely to be freaked out. I think that because of this type of situation, many gay people would understand your friend's feelings.  

bollier

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 am
^ I agree.
I've been asked out or hit on by so many girls I can't even count them on my fingers. Girls LOVE me. Too bad I'm gay. xd
I think that most straight people really don't worry about asking out the opposite sex (other than the usual anxieties). That is, I've never heard of a straight man being afraid to ask out women because he's too nervous that they might be lesbians.
Anyway, it never bothers me too much when it happens to me, it's just a little frustrating. I can't help thinking, "Why aren't guys this attracted to me?" gonk
Like bollier said, I think it's a lot more annoying for a straight person to be asked out by a lgbt person, unless they're just really accepting of the whole thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I tend to get annoyed/confused when creepy older gents approach me. When I recognize that they're hitting on me, that is. I'm oblivious to flirting IRL. I've actually walked away from a guy while he was hitting on me. lol Didn't realize he was until after I left the store. I just don't pay that much attention to guys, unless they're in positions of authority or something.

I honestly don't see what's so traumatizing about it. Odds are you'll be shot down, anyway.

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

etluhcs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:08 pm
i never really get straight guys hitting on me. probably because i don't really look conventionally girly... i guess they just (correctly) assume i'm a lesbian.

i do have straight friends who are girls who hit on me sometimes though. i feel like that's almost worse because you know they're just confused...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm
I don't know what it is, I just attract guys to me like flies to s**t. (And I know, that sounds like bragging, or a weird complaint. razz ) It doesn't really bother me, and sometimes if the guy is actually a decent guy I'm a little flattered, but I always feel bad when I turn them down. I usually just mention that I'm already in a relationship, but if the guy's a jerk (as a lot of the men around here are), I'll be quick to tack on "You're not even close to my type anyway."
Unfortunately, there's a guy that was hot on my tail all through high school -- I turned him down several times (though at the time I just told him I wasn't interested), but he kept dogging after me. The last time he saw me, we talked farms for a bit, and I thought he'd given up on me when he whips out, "I own a big dairy farm, now, and I train horses. You always told your friends that you'd marry a rich farmer one day, so how much money do I have to flash you?"
I felt bad; he's a cool guy, I wouldn't mind him as a friend, and he's one of our small town's "most elegible bachelors."  

Dante_Sonata

HARD N THROBBING INCUBUS

Aged Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am
im an awful flirt... makes things confusing... im gay and women are sad, and men feel awkward...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 pm
No one really hits on me, and i'm fine with that! biggrin (Or they probably do and I don't even know it, lol). Though, I apparently tend to flirt a lot. And I have been stalked by this girl one time while I was vacationing in taiwan. She wouldn't leave me alone in this mall. I finally managed to lose her in a crowd though lol. She was kinda cute...but dressed like a slut...

BleedingInkXIII

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:40 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Straight guys? Attracted to me? That's a laugh.

Let me tell you why.

First, I'm horrendously ugly. And fat.
Second, the only decent guys I know are my good friends. Once you get a relationship like that, you won't want to go further. Most of the time.

(Brushes by Obsidian Dawn)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 pm
It happens to me now and then, surprisingly mainly with straight guys. I don't know what it is I do, but multiple times some males I've known have questioned their own orientation because of me. It's flattering in a way, but I'm not fully sure how to feel about it. Mainly because the first time it happened, I was like "Oh, YAY! 4laugh " at first, but things went sour quickly as they began to feel awkward about the whole 'dating another male' thing. But oh well.  

Vilaira

Omnipresent Seraph

16,975 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Lavishing Romantic 250

Ciel Nite

5,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:22 pm
yeah, this one dude (who do not have a girlfriend) flirt with me EVERYDAY and work...(he is a straight/ damn Frat brothers)...anyhow...everytime he see me he would pat his leg and go "sit on this". Lunch time always asking me where i am going and when i say i am going with my BF, he seem pretty sad. i think its kinda cute....

i feel like, he is conflicted and really want to try "my side" but scared too cause of his Frat Bros...got advice for me to break his cover, of course i wont blast it out for everyone  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:41 pm
ahahaha unfortuantely
i get the ones who "want to test the waters"
and yea its pretty frequent
i think all guys will have a gay experince at least once in their lives  

yellow_Adelle

4,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150

AstridMiriam

Party Browser