._Aki Ana's Raevan Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aki Ana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 pm
QUEST: Food Thief, Part 1

“Pasha, I don’t mind if you snack, but please clean up afterwards! That’s all I’m asking! Now don’t argue, that’s not fair. You don’t even have chores, Princess. You can pick up after yourself! One more thing, Melisande. You might want to cut back a little. If you keep up these midnight munchies, you’re going to get fat! Now, go sweep up, there’s a love.”

Meli sighed, broom in hand. No matter what she said, Aki refused to believe her! It wasn’t her eating all the sweets, she would have remembered! Not only that, Pasha didn’t like to lie! If Aki didn’t believe her, didn’t that mean that Aki thought she was lying?

Cheeks pink, blue eyes brimming with tears, Melisande started to sweep. Someone (not her!) had gotten into Aki’s jar of hard candy on the counter. One of them had fallen, and splintered all over the floor! The little pieces had already melted onto the stone floor…sinking downward, Melisande picked at them with her nails, sighing sadly.

Perhaps it was Nisha! Aki’s littlest daughter loved sweet things very much, and the candies weren’t the first snack to vanish! Last night it had been the bowl of strawberries, and the night before that, an entire pie! It couldn’t have been Nisha though…she was staying with Elle, many miles away. She was too young to visit on her own! Adding a few more sticky shards to the dustpan, Melisande sniffed, still feeling very sorry for herself.

Maybe Levi? He was certainly the type to arrive in the night, and clean out Aki’s kitchen unannounced! No, it couldn’t be Levi. The young pirate loved beer and bread and ridiculous haunches of meat, not sweet things. Besides, crumbs were not the only thing left on the counter. A nickel had been left in the empty pie dish, and an old key had been hidden among the left over greens in the strawberries! Levi wasn’t the type to leave something shiny, especially not a coin. No chance!

Floating upwards again, Melisande tapped the dustpan into the trash. There were little bits of candy stuck to her ribbon, and dirt upon her hands. Perhaps a bath would lift her spirits, and give her some time to think. Leaning the broom against the fridge, Pasha finished tidying up…latching the lid of the empty candy jar firmly and putting it up into the cupboard. There had to be an explanation for all this…she was just too troubled to see it!

The bath had been a wonderful idea. Humming to herself, Pasha piled bubbles on her hand…blowing them into a burst of foam that floated back down into the tub. Giggling, she began to collect more, scooping them up higher and higher. She hadn’t been doing much thinking on her problem, but she was feeling much better! Taking a big breath, she exhaled and scattered the bubbles everywhere, scaring the birds that had lined up along her windowsill. Gasping, Pasha watched them fly away, suddenly feeling sorry they were gone. She always fed them after her bath, she even kept a jar of birdseed right by the window-

A jar? Melisande’s wide, blue eyes settled on the birdseed. Perhaps it was an animal, sneaking in and eating all the snacks! Crows liked shiny things, didn’t they? Maybe it was a little bird, that liked shiny candies, and only came to visit at night! She couldn’t really picture a bird eating a whole pie, but…maybe that was the answer!

Snapping her wings open, spraying water and bubbles everywhere, Melisande shot up out of the bath. There wasn’t much time before sunset, and the goodies always vanished at night. She didn’t have long to get ready!

”I’ll need a camera! And a blanket, it will be late…oh! And something sweet! The birds won’t come if it isn’t something sweet!” Wrapping her towel around herself with a flourish, Melisande swept across the room, ribbon still dripping. She’d prove Aki it wasn’t her! She would catch those birds in the act!

She wasn’t a fat liar at all!!

Melisande tugged the blanket closer, shivering a bit. The old stone Villa got so cold at night, she was glad she’d thought to bring covers! The camera rested on the table before her, already focused on the distant kitchen counter.

It wasn’t going to be easy, staying awake all night! She’d set the trap very carefully…leaving Aki’s cookie jar on the counter, full of fresh cookies. Aki said the cookies were for tomorrow, but Pasha wasn’t worried. Either nothing would happen, and the cookies would be fine, or the secret thief would eat the cookies, and Melisande would have her proof! Either way, Aki was sure to be happy!

It was hard to stay awake, but Melisande was determined. Every time her eyes got heavy, she would open them again…bouncing a bit against her chair to restore some energy. She remembered all the times they’d sat around this family together, with Levi and Nisha…the warm scent of Aki’s cooking…Levi’s funny jokes…

Melisande giggled, and jerked awake. She’d been dreaming. ”Oh no!! I fell asleep!!” The blossoms at her temples shivered in dismay, a snowfall of petals shedding down over the blanket. Casting the blanket aside, the muse darted out of her post. How long had she been asleep? What had she missed? Were the cookies…

gone?!

Pasha felt a new feeling, for the very first time. It was as though her stomach opened up, and fell into a big hole in the ground. Pressing both hands to her tummy, cheeks white, she drifted closer to the counter. There were crumbs everywhere. Not only had Aki’s cookies been eaten, but there was a brand new mess! But who could have caused it?!

Even though she didn’t want to see it, Melisande’s eyes settled slowly on the only piece of evidence. A single feather, right in the middle of the crumbs. Though it was too dark to be sure, Pasha feared she knew this feather. Tiny, delicate, a light shade of lavender…

It was her feather?! Pasha was the cookie thief?!

There was just no way it was true. Bringing one shaky hand to her face, Melisande dabbed at her lips, feeling for crumbs. Her mouth didn’t taste like chocolate…but what other explanation was there? Picking up the feather gingerly with two fingers, as though it were a serpent, the Sigel gave it a shake. Crumbs rained down, bouncing silently off the counter.

There had to be an explanation for this, but Melisande just didn’t know what it was! Still holding the feather upside down, between her thumb and index finger, Pasha very quietly started to cry.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am
QUEST: Food Thief, Part 2

Melisande rubbed her laced armlet across her eyes, mussing her lashes with ribbons of satin. She’d been crying for an hour, the entire way as she’d floated down to Margaret’s cottage.

Ever since she’d hand delivered a love letter to the old woman down the street, Pasha’s life had changed. Where Aki had grown absent and distant, Margaret was always there…the doting grandmother with a ready story and a pie on the sill. Meli sniffled as she let herself through the gate, latch squeaking in greeting.

”M-Margie? Are you h-home?” The Sigel hiccupped again, eyes still red with tears.

The door to the cottage opened with alacrity, pushed asunder by the strong, gnarled hand of a crone with a long grey braid. Faster than one would have thought possible, the old woman hobbled down the stairs towards Pasha.

“Oh, lovvie! Oh, sweet!” Margaret’s gravelly voice crooned, crossing the distance until she could fold her hands over Pasha’s. “What’s wrong? What ails you?!”

Melisande took a deep breath and sighed, wings shuddering. ”Oh, Margie, it’s awful! Every time I wake, something horrible has happened! The crumbs, and the feather, and the key, and the candy…!!!”

Margaret smoothed Melisande’s curls slowly, with one gnarled hand. The noises she made were remarkably soothing, despite the appearance of her pursed lips. “Shh, shh!!” In the space of the open door behind her, an old man appeared, his brow creased with worry. Waving one finger in sudden revelation, he vanished back into the cottage.

Melisande dutifully allowed herself to be led inside, past the scant orchard and cluttered yard she’d once been so afraid of. The inside of the cottage, however, had undergone a radical transformation since William’s arrival. The kitchen always smelled of food, and every table was crowded with hand picked wild flowers. Sinking down onto one of Margaret’s barrel seats, Pasha tried to take a breath and relax.

”I-it all started…a few weeks…ago.” She knew the older couple was waiting for her to speak. Margaret and William sat huddled together, large knuckled hands entwined. ”Accidents started happening, and Aki…Aki blamed me!

“What kind of accidents, Melisande?” William’s deep and gravelly voice added a level of solemn concern to the conversation, as he poked his head out from the kitchen. “You can tell us what’s wrong.”

Pasha’s wings folded in tight to her body. She was so ashamed to admit the truth! ”It’s…the desserts. Every night, they go missing! But last night, I…” The muse choked, truly overwrought. She’d told Aki that she WASN’T a liar, but she was! It had been her all along! ”I found out it was ME! I am the one stealing the desserts!”

Patting Pasha on the back with one hand, Margaret leaned in close. The old woman smelled of apples and cloves, sweet and pungent. “How do you know it was you, lovvie?”

Hiccuping, Pasha took a breath, then another, trying to calm down. As soon as her story started, William reappeared with a steaming kettle of tea, his glasses perched low on his nose. Melisande accepted a cup with both hands, and sighed. ”Every night, someone sneaks into our kitchen, and steals something sweet. S-so far, a whole pie, the hard candies, and ALL the cookies are gone! There’s always a b-big mess, and Aki makes me clean it up, and then she told me I shouldn’t lie about eating them!!” Melisande sniffled, and took a sip of her tea. William patted her shoulder gently with one large hand as Pasha continued. ”B-but I’m not a liar, and (the tea is wonderful, thank you) and so I tried to stay up all night! I thought it might be a bird, but…”

Here was the hard part. Pasha put the tea down, worried she might spill it if she started crying again. Little white petals fell from her temples, one settling into the cup of tea. ”But it wasn’t a bird feather in the crumbs! It was one of MY FEATHERS!!” Sobbing again, Pasha let herself be pulled into a hug from Margaret. Once upon a time, she’d been so afraid of the old woman. Now, Melisande didn’t know what she’d do without her!

“Shh, dear, shhhhh. Can I see this feather? Maybe it’s not one of yours! I’m good with birds.” Margaret patted Meli’s hands with her own, encouraging the muse to look up.

“She’s good with birds.” William reiterated, at about the same time, and pushed his glasses back up his nose before refilling Pasha’s teacup.

Melisande nodded, and fished around inside her jacket. The tears had stuck curls of blond hair to her cheeks, and rimmed her blue eyes in pink. She finally produced a slender, lavender feather from her inner pocket, and held it out at arms length by the shaft, looking at it warily. Oh, the condemning evidence!

Margaret took it from her, and brought it up to her face, squinting closely. “Well, it’s not from any bird I’ve ever see. That’s for sure.”

“For sure.” William echoed, nodding sagaciously. Melisande usually thought it sweet, how he reinforced everything that Margaret said, but she didn’t have the energy to smile.

”I know! It’s one of MINE!! That’s what’s so horrible!!” To make her point, Melisande stretched out her wings, pale lavender feathers catching the light. Oh, how was she going to admit the truth to Aki! Perhaps she should run away, to a different house that didn’t HAVE any sweets!!

“Melisande.” Margaret interrupted her runaway train of thoughts, and held the feather up sharply, a little too close to Meli’s face. “Look at it again! It might be one of your feathers, lovvie, but from when?” Pasha boggled at her, not understanding. To make her point, Margaret pushed the feather against Melisande’s wing.

It was one of hers, to be sure, but it didn’t match any of the others! The loose feather was richer, and smaller…it stuck out like a sore thumb against Pasha’s soft, pale wings. ”It…it doesn’t match!” Relief smacked Pasha like a wall. Sagging, she took the little feather from Margaret and twirled it slowly between her fingers. ”It’s one of my OLD feathers! From when I was little! I…I didn’t think there were any of those left!!”

“Aaaahh.” Margaret leaned back, smiling with the contentment only a detective knew. “Pasha, dear, were there any other clues left, where the crumbs were?”

Melisande tried to think, still marveling at the feather. She didn’t have to run away after all!! ”I think so! There was a coin…and a button? Oh, a key, I think!” Blonde brows furrowing, she glanced up at Margaret, who was busy sharing a particularly significant glance with William. ”Why? What does it mean?”

William spoke up first, urging Melisande to put the feather down and pick her tea back up with a few gentle nudges. “Perhaps it isn’t a thief, Melisande. Perhaps it was someone who thought you left out the sweets just for them!”

Pasha looked to Margaret, confused. “He’s right, love! Oh, I should have warned you. I should have realized what was going on sooner!” Patting Melisande’s cheek, the old woman smiled warmly. “It’s a Brownie, darling. A house spirit, one of my own!! They’re dear little things, that help you clean, or help you find things that are lost. Like your key, and your feather! I’d made mention to William that it would be nice if that old house of yours had one, and they must have heard me, bless their tiny hearts!”

”A spirit? A brown one?” Melisande was baffled.

“A Brownie! They’re a type of fairy, lovvie. They do good magicks around your house!”

Melisande made a doubtful face. Perhaps Margaret was just being nice, and trying to let her off the hook! ”I’ve…I’ve never met a fairy…”

William laughed. “Don’t tell me you don’t believe in them! After all, look at you! You’re a sight to behold, as well!”

Melisande blushed as they both laughed, rolling the tea cup between her hands. ”Well, if they’re supposed to help clean, why do they make such a mess? That isn’t helpful!!”

“Here, dear. Take this.” Margaret leaned forward, her knees creaking as she put weight on them, and took Pasha’s tea cup saucer from the table and handed it to her. “You can’t leave out a whole jar of cookies, or a whole pie. They’ll make little pigs of themselves trying to eat it all! Just keep the sweets in the cupboard, with one little piece on this tiny plate. They’ll eat every bit, leave it s**c and span, with a present to boot!!”

Epilogue

Melisande yawned, stretching her arms out over her head. She’d had the most amazing dreams, something about a…

The Brownie! The plate!! Throwing the covers off, Melisande practically dove into her robe, still tying it shut as she flew down the stairs. On Margaret’s advice, she’d left a single cookie out on the little plate, right in the middle of the counter. Holding her breath, Pasha rounded the corner, squinting in the morning light that filled the little kitchen.

Everything sparkled. Even the chairs were polished! And true enough, the little plate was perfectly empty and clean. Resting on top of it, right where the cookie used to be, was a cameo necklace. Melisande picked it up slowly, eyes wide. It was the one she’d gotten from Aria’s manor! She’d thought it was lost forever!!

“Good job, Melisande! The kitchen looks amazing!” The Raevan jumped as Aki shuffled into the kitchen, heading straight for the coffee pot.

Pasha smiled slowly, and took another look around. She didn’t see any Brownies, but she knew they were there! ”Thank you, Aki. I had a little help!!”  

Aki Ana

Aki Ana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:49 pm
Sevilin Comes to Stay!

We`rika had left a good hour ago and all Sevilin had to entertain himself with was the antique television that was mounted against the opposite wall. It was too early in the day for anything remotely good to be on so he was forced to watch baby mama drama. Not that there was anything wrong with baby mama drama, it was rather amusing, but the sea fairy had to be in the mood for black women screaming their heads off and waggling their fingers... today was just not that day.

But, not much he could do. Resting the remote on the night stand beside his bed, Sevilin leaned back against the plush pillows propping his little half a torso up and waited patiently for Aki and Melisande to pick him up.

This wasn't exactly how he imagined their next meeting. He pictured glitter and doe eyes as they floated through the mall, elbows linked. How could he be Pasha's arm candy now when his face was black and blue and he was missing a chunk of his scalp?! The little frei groaned audibly.

Sevilin wasn't waiting long. Aki and Melisande were visible just beyond the window to the Raevan's room, where Aki was speaking to the doctor in the hall. Pasha knocked quietly before letting herself in, eyes wide as she edged slowly through the gap in the door.

"S-Sevvie? Can...can I..." The muse stuttered, bright blue eyes filling with tears as she saw the state her dear friend was in. "Oh, Sevilin! I'm so sorry you got hurt!!" Unable to contain herself, Melisande wailed, a truly heart wrenching noise, and threw herself towards the Frei. "I'm so so so sorry!" A swirl of petals, shed in the muse's grief, danced in the air a moment before settling over them both. Melisande collapsed over Sevvie's chest, sniffling. "Mm mmphm mphhm!"

In the hall, the doctor shook his head, and pulled the clipboard a bit closer to his chest. Apparently his answer didn't please Aki. She rose up onto her toes, crimson eyes bright, and said something low and lengthy that didn't quite carry through the door. The doctor seemed to falter, then fall quiet, expression going lax and vacant as Aki worked. Moments later, she took the clipboard from his unresponsive hands...flipping through Sevvie's file with a dark look on her fine elven face.

"Ah--" Sevilin had wished Melisande had given him better warning than a silent creep into his room so he could hide his black and blue face. "It's okay Mel, you can come--Oh Mel! It's okay!" He wasn't sure what else to tell her. His cherry-red lips pulled down into a tight frown as he watched in shock as his friend threw herself onto his bed and wept. The sea fairy had never heard a more woeful sound. "You dun hafta feel sorry. It jes... happened. It's okay..." He reassured her, pulling her weightless frame closer so he could hug her properly, being mindful not to bring her too close to his aching face. "Dun cry. Yer gonna make me cry..." His words were followed by a soft titter from a hesitant laugh as the little frei did his best to wipe away her tears with the bottom of his palm.

"Is yer mom here?" Hopefully a change of subject would help.

Pasha sniffed and nodded, still miserable, but trying to pull it together. After all, she wasn't the one that was hurt. It was just so shocking to see Sevvie in such a state!!

"She is. She's talking to the d-doctor." Melisande pushed her face against his hand just a bit as he wiped her tears, like a kitten looking for comfort. "Aki said you could s-stay with us. Do you want to?"

Melisande looked up at him, hopeful, but her eyes started filling with tears again when she saw his face. "Oh Sevilin! I'll take good care of you! You'll be all better soon, I prooooomise~!" The last word faded off into a wail again, Sevvie's blanket bunching in her little fists.

In the hall, Aki was still flipping through the file, expression getting darker as she read. Flipping it shut again, she pushed it against the doctor's chest, who blinked like he was waking from a day dream. She knocked firmly on the door, crimson eyes narrowed, and waited for an answer before she came in.

Even with the threat of pain, the blue raevan couldn't help but smile at Pasha. If she had been anyone else, Sevilin would have been happy to skulk and whine, but something about this golden haired muse inspired him to be stronger, like a big brother or....

Sevilin stomped out that train of thought. A big brother, yes. That was all. "No one could take better care of me than you, Mel..." Patting her cheek gently, the sea nymph gave her a chaste kiss on her forehead.

"Ah--C-come in?" Most of the doctors came in without asking.

Aki pushed the door open, and took a long look at Sevvie without saying anything. When she finally did speak, her tone was curt. "Sevilin, you'll be staying with us. Melisande, help him pack please." Unlike Pasha, she didn't ask.

Meli blanched, and scrubbed at her cheek with the back of her hand. Sevvie had just cheered her up with a little kiss, but Aki's use of her full name put her right back on edge. It almost seemed like Aki was...mad! "I-I can do it. Here Sevvie, you rest and I'll get everything together."

She flashed the nymph one last sad smile before floating away, placing anything that wasn't nailed down into Sevvie's bag. "We'll be home soon. It will be nice! You can share my room, and-"

"No, Pasha." With a slightly softer tone, Aki contradicted the muse. "You're both old enough to have your own rooms. But we will be home soon. Sevvie, are you feeling up to travel?"

Wow, this woman held quite a presence. No wonder We`rika found her scary. It was kind of like Alex, except, well, Alex was always sugar and no spice with him. Aki seemed a bit flustered, or a lot, Sevilin didn't know her well enough yet to really determine her moods, but if Melisande's sudden meekness was any indication, her guardian wasn't in a great mood.

And it didn't take a genius to figure out why. The little sea nymph's shoulders fell limp with a sudden onslaught of guilt. Maybe he should have asked for Alex instead. He didn't know Aki or Melisande well enough to ask them for such a huge favor.

"U-Uhmm..." The small frei took a moment to clear his throat. "Actually, ah--you know, I can... uhmm call someone else if.... I mean, if this is too inconvenient. Alex--or... you know if I whine enough, I'm sure they'll let We`rika take me home..." Though he doubted he had it in him to give a convincing show of want and love for his guardian right now.

Aki's tone was a little softer, but not by much. It was obvious she wasn't in the mood for nonsense. "Sevilin, you are very welcome in my home. In fact, you are welcome in my family if your guardian is deemed unfit." It was obvious now where her irritation was directed...not at Sevvie, but at We'rika. The Frei's condition was unforgivable. "Once we're settled in, I will work on getting you healed. After that, you're free to make any decision you wish." Briefly, she settled her hand over the nymphs, before stepping to the side to take his bag from Melisande.

As soon as her hands were free, Pasha hurried back to Sevvie's side. "Don't worry, Aki can help you heal fast if you want! Or you can do it the slow way, and I can make you tea and help you make your bed?" Tucking a strand of hair behind Sevvie's ear, making sure to do it extra gently and wincing whenever the other Raevan winced, Meli tried to sound brave.

"Kay..." Sevilin smartly kept any other comments to himself and snapped his mouth shut. If he wasn't so pissed off at We`rika, he would have felt sorry for his guardian. So many women wanted to break a high-heel in his a**.

His solemn face turned to Meli and quickly warmed back into a soft smile. She was so sweet, trying so hard. "Kay..." He repeated, the smooth skin around his eyes crinkling as his smile widened. He threw the sheets from, well, his ribbon and floated slowly down toward Aki. He noticed the one duffle-bag which Melisande held, full with his plushies and video games and one of We`rika's sweatshirts, just in case he got cold, his guardian told him. Ugh, damn We`rika for trying to be considerate.

"I'm... ready when you are!" His words picked up spark at the end, trying hard not to sound anxious.

"Ready. Please go ahead, I'll catch up. Pasha, you know where the car is." Aki handed Melisande the keys, and held the door as the Raevan's passed. Lingering behind, Aki rounded on the still befuddled doctor, and exchanged a few low words. It was obvious she didn't trust We'rika with the bill, and made sure her address was listed instead.

Meli drifted down the hall, holding Sevvie's hand gently. As soon as they were out of earshot, she lowered her voice and whispered sweetly in his ear. "Things will be all better soon, I promise! Thank you for coming to stay with me, Sevilin. I miss you when you're gone!" With a bright smile, the muse pushed against the door, and led the nymph out into the open air.

In no time at all, they'd be home!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm
-Hiatus was from the date of this post, to March 24th-

The following is Melisande's intro to the Fel Outbreak event. Since I was disqualified, this post is just up as a memory, and did not actually occur.

Melisande was dreaming.

A vast panorama stretched out before her, liquid silver waves lapping silently against a crumbling shore. The sun sat low on the horizon, lining the clouds with electric pink. She could almost feel the last warm wind of autumn against her bare arms, and Melisande shivered…tracing her fingers along the sharp curve of her collarbone. She could hear a voice calling her name, distantly, and the muse lifted her eyes to the sky. Was it Zavier? Was the wind so kind, to bring his words so far? Melisande smiled, and spread her arms, leaning against the balcony. Perhaps the wind would be kinder still, and lift her up, bearing her on gentle breath into the arms of her beloved….

“MELISANDE!!” Panic twisted Aki’s tone, and she lunged across the room. Hurtling Pasha’s bed in a single leap, the elf wrapped her arms around Melisande’s waist just as the muse tilted forward over the balcony. Thankfully, the Sigel was light, but for a single dizzying moment all Aki could see was the rocky shore far below. “Melisande! What are you DOING?!”

They tumbled back into Pasha’s room, landing in a pile of satin cushions. Panting, Aki rolled over to glare at the Raevan, her heart pounding in her chest. Melisande was laying on her back, staring at the ceiling…totally naked except for the fringe of ruffle around her waist and her cascade of golden curls.

Something was wrong.

“Melisande? Answer me. PASHA!” Aki crawled closer, and cradled the muse’s head in her arms. As Pasha’s face rolled to the side, Aki’s breath caught in her throat. Something was very, very wrong indeed.

The Sigel’s eyes were black. Not all black, Aki realized, but her pupils were so dialated that it made them appear deep and endless. She could see her own scared reflection in them, like dark mirrors. “Melisande?” The muse wasn’t focusing on her at all. She laid in Aki’s arms like a doll, relaxed and unafraid. “What…what’s wrong, baby?”

”He’s calling me.” Melisande’s voice was as haunting as her eyes. The Sigel’s sweet tone had divided, melodic and distant at the same time. Aki shivered. It sounded like the sing song tone possessed children used in scary movies, high and ethereal. ”He calls…”

“W-who, Meli? Who is calling?”

The muse didn’t answer, and Aki was almost grateful. Every hair on her body felt like it was standing on end. Pulling the silken comforter off of the bed, Aki wrapped the unresisting muse in it gently. “Pasha? Did you…eat or drink anything strange at the party last night? Melisande?”

The wind wrapped around her with a silken touch, smooth and sweet against her flesh. Melisande smiled, her head tilting slowly to one side. It was like an embrace of color and warmth, a wash of bright jewel tones and familiar voices. It was one of the sweetest dreams she could ever remember having. As comfortable as it was, she knew what she had to do. He wouldn’t wait forever…if the wind could not bear her, she would go on her own. Stretching languorously, like a cat in the sun, she pulled free of the warm embrace and turned. Colors whipped around her like a carousel kaleidoscope, luminous and fractured. It was beautiful!

The blanket slipped from the Sigel’s pale shoulders as she rose, pulling free from Aki’s arms. Eyes wide, Aki watched as Melisande began to spin…arms out like a child playing in the park. The tune she hummed was eerie, it reminded Aki of circus music, winding and reeling as Pasha spun.

Her heart was still pounding. Melisande looked like a broken doll on top of a music box, naked and pale, blond curls tangled. Pushing to her feet, she let the muse dance and hurried over to the balcony doors…shutting them tightly and throwing the lock. “I’m going…to call Dr. Kyou. Stay here, okay Pasha? I’ll…I’ll be right back.”

Swallowing heavily, Aki backed out of the room…also pulling the door to Pasha’s room shut. She leaned back heavily, resting her back against the closed door, and squeezed her eyes shut tight. This was nothing like the last time Melisande had been sick. This was…surreal. Taking a deep breath, Aki pushed away from the door and hurried downstairs to the phone.

The colors slowed, and Melisande slowed with them, her faceted vision settling on the treasures around her. Carefully, she approached them, hoping the dream wouldn’t end. A myriad of tiny bottles and boxes extended into the horizon, like a dragon’s horde, laid out for her inspection. The sky in the distance was as flat and clear as still water, and Pasha realized she was looking not at heaven, but at a Goddess. The white sky was pale skin, flawlessly contoured and gently pinked. Two dark suns lit the sky, eyes set in a perfect face. A mane of golden light haloed the face of the Goddess, and Melisande smiled to see it.

The Goddess smiled back.

She watched surprise, and revelation cross the beautiful face in the sky. The Goddess was her! The sound of breaking glass startled her, and Melisande cast her eyes downward. She treasures had scattered at her touch, little bottles plummeting from the cliffsides. A sweet smell rose in their place, and Melisande sighed, happy. The Goddess waited patiently for her tribute, and so Pasha lifted a treasure to the sky. A golden tube, with ruby cream. Melisande touched it to one eye, then the other…ringing the dark suns with a kiss the color of blood. A box of pale shimmer sparkled like desert sand, and she brushed it against the lips of the image, smiling to see it.

Aki hung up the phone, still trembling. No answer. She’d have to drive Melisande in herself, and hope that Kyou had returned to the lab by the time she arrived. Taking the stone stairs two at a time, Aki raced back up to the bedroom, but slowed before opening the door. It was obvious that Melisande was out of her head…she didn’t want to spook the Sigel unnecessarily.

The door to Pasha’s room creaked open, and Aki stepped carefully inside. She half expected to see the girl’s head twist all the way around, or something equally scary. Instead, she found Melisande staring into the mirror at her vanity, and Aki covered her nose with one hand. The perfume bottles had shattered on the stone floor, and the sweet smell was almost overwhelming.

“Pasha? Are you…” As she spoke, Melisande turned, and Aki jolted. Her first thought was blood. Pasha’s eyes were ringed in red, her lips washed out to a sparkling white. It took Aki several moments to realize that Pasha had used the lipstick like eyeliner, and the eye shimmer like lip gloss. The effect was startling, to say the least.

“Well, if you can make yourself up, you can get dressed. Come here.” She closed her hand around Melisande’s tiny wrist and guided her away from the mirror, towards the closet. Aki didn’t much care what the muse wore, as long as she was dressed. In a hurry, Aki struggled to get a blouse on the girl, tugging the fabric into place and struggling with the ribbon laces. “Hold still! Melisande!!”

Was the Goddess angry? The treasures were gone, the sky turned to chaos. All Melisande could feel was the chaos pushing in around her, pinching and pulling, restricting her cruelly. Her unhappiness rose as a soft mew, a gentle cry that the gathering storm washed away.

Afraid and unhappy, the muse cried out…taking a breath deep enough to rival the gathering winds. ”No, NO!” For a moment, the tumult stilled, before returning full force. Melisande could feel her arms forced down, breath cut short by the tightening around her chest. Panic rose within her, and she lashed out with both her essence and voice. ”LEAVE ME BE!!!”

Aki reeled, releasing Pasha and holding her head in both hands. The Sigel’s voice was more than earsplitting…the remaining bottles on the vanity burst in a shower of crystalline shards. Squeezing her hands over her ears, Aki cried out, but her voice was lost in the ringing echo. Panting, eyes shut, Aki curled against the side of the bed…unable to make herself get close to Melisande again. As the horrible feeling faded, she slowly uncurled, hands dropping from her ears.

She couldn’t hear anything, her ears were still ringing with the force of the muse’s anger. Pushing back up to her feet, one hand on the bed post for balance, Aki cast her eyes warily to Melisande.

Only, Melisande wasn’t there.

Heart caught in her throat, Aki looked to the balcony doors. Still shut, but she’d left the bedroom door open. Dizzy, the elf staggered down the stairs, into the Villa below. ”Pasha? Melisande?!?”

No answer, and the front door of the Villa stood wide open. Aki felt like she’d been punched in the stomach, and stared at it, one hand against the cold stone wall.

Melisande was gone.  

Aki Ana

Aki Ana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 pm
Moving Day

-Scrrrrit! Scrrrrit!-

Melisande tilted her head at the strange noise. Alto whuffed quietly from his little cushion, not bothering to lift his head. The sound was coming from downstairs, echoing up the stone staircase to her room with startling clarity. However clear the sound, though, Meli still couldn’t identify it. It almost sounded like ripping fabric, she thought, and smoothed one hand down her boned corset.

-Scrrrrrrrit!-

Rising up from where she’d been perched at her vanity, Pasha tilted her head the other way. A fall of loose ringlets swept over her shoulder, free from their usual bow. Setting her comb back on the silver tray, the muse floated to her door to listen. The noise had stopped, but she was still interested. Maybe it was a surprise. Pasha loved surprises! Smiling brightly, she drifted down the staircase, ribbon twisting and trailing.

”Akiii?” She called, her usually quiet voice rising with curiosity. ”Can I come in?”

Aki’s answering voice sounded much more irritated than Melisande expected. Maybe it wasn’t a surprise after all! “Of course you can, Pasha. The living room isn’t exactly private.” The woman’s short, clipped tone made her wince.

A little wary now, the Raevan poked her head into the doorway, and gasped. The living room had changed! Instead of being full of books, the shelves were empty. All the trinkets were gone from the end tables, and the rug had been rolled up and propped in one corner. Piles of boxes surrounded Aki, who was holding a curious looking tape dispenser in one hand.

-Scrrrrrit!-

So that was the noise! She watched in silence as Aki pulled another long strip of packing tape over the top of a box, and tore it free from the roll with a twist of her wrist. Aki was packing!

”Are you…redecorating?” She ventured, hesitantly. Aki didn’t seem to be in the mood to talk, but Meli was still curious.

Aki finished taping the box shut, and grabbed a fat black marker. She wrote BOOKS on the side of the box in large squeaky letters. When Aki straightened again, she sighed, running one hand over the red handkerchief that held her hair back from her face. “Not exactly, Pasha. I was planning on talking to you about this tonight, but…well. We’re moving.”

It took Melisande a moment to grasp the idea. Pale fingers curling around the edge of the living room arch, the muse leaned against it, pressing her cheek to the cool stone. Moving? She’d lived here her entire life! “To…a new house?” Aki nodded, and Pasha slowly brightened. ”Maybe…a house with more windows?! Oh, and maybe a pool! The ocean is so cold. We could paint~!”

Aki cut her off with a look, her tapered ears drooping slightly. The woman looked almost…guilty. “Melisande?” Pasha stiffened a bit, her hand sliding from the stone arch. Aki almost never used her full name. “It’s…not like that. It’s not just a new house. We’re…moving away.”

The edges of the living room seemed to darken as Meli stared. When she finally found her voice, it was a whisper, tenuous and fragile. ”Away…” She swallowed. ”…from this place?” Aki nodded. ”Away…from town?” Another nod, slower. ”Away…” Pasha’s lips parted, but the next words didn’t come out. Her mind was racing, and the darkness was pressing in from all sides, narrowing her view to Aki’s uncomfortable face.

”Away from Zavier?”

Aki’s slow nod was the last thing she saw. The color drained from Melisande’s cheeks as she slumped to the floor, like a ruffled dress slipping from a hanger.

Blinking against the light that flooded into her room, Melisande stared at the ceiling. She was warm, the covers were pulled up all the way to her chin, even though it was midday. Had she fallen asleep? She sat up slowly, raising herself up on her elbows, but leaving the small of her back pressed against the bed. Someone else was here!

Pasha gaped at the figure sitting on her bed for a moment, still not fully awake. Her brother, Levi, grinned back at her. It was so unexpected, seeing him here all of the sudden, that the muse felt disoriented.

“Whoa there! Atta girl.” Levi caught her before she slid, one strong hand closing gently on her upper arm. Pasha extended one wing awkwardly, fighting for balance even though she was still in bed. “Surprised t’see me, lass?”

”Y-yes!” Melisande continued to stare, blue eyes wide, and her pink lips parting back into a perfect O of surprise. He’d been gone for months, out on his new ship!

Levi chuckled, and let his hand fall. Rings glinted on nearly every finger, and thick gold hoops pulled at his ears. His aqua eyes and dreaded hair hadn’t changed, though…nor had his crooked smile. “Surprised to be here, t’be honest. Aki called me, t’come see ya.” For a moment, the muse was confused again. Why would Aki call him? Why was he here to visit her? He’d been so far away…

Away.

The memories returned like a jolt. Pasha’s face crumpled. Worry clouded her brother’s face as well, but she was too upset to notice. The vague nagging of worry in her stomach…it hadn’t been a nightmare! The news had been real! She must have fainted…and in truth, she felt like she might again.

Levi must have seen it in her face. “Whoa there!” He repeated, and patted her cheek with one hand. He smelled like metal and fish. Pasha’s eyes fluttered. “Stay with me! Y’been out for a while, lass.”

His words brought her around. Chest heaving as she gasped for air, again and again, Melisande glanced to the window. It wasn’t midday. That was why she was so warm. The early evening sun was slanting in through her balcony doors, staining the room gold. She couldn’t quite catch her breath, it kept hitching at the lump in her throat. Levi’s brows knitted, and he leaned forward to pull his adoptive sister against him.

“Hush, baby girl. There we go.” His comforting words were nonsensical, but they helped anyway. Pasha hiccupped, not quite crying, even though her eyes were filled with tears. “Tell me what happened? Aki just told me to come.”

The words wouldn’t come. Meli trembled against him, feathers rustling as she tried. The flowers at her temples were sparse, petals stuck and creased against her cheeks. ”We…we’re moving. She gasped the words, as though they were the most awful in the world. Levi hugged her tighter, his rich voice a mix between comfort and confusion.

“That’s okay, innit? That jus’ means you getta new room t’decorate! I can help, if-“

”Zavier~!” Melisande cried, suddenly finding her voice. She pushed away, holding her brother at arms length as she stared into his surprised face. Even though her words were stronger, the tears had finally spilled over…cutting in streams down her lovely cheeks. ”It means I have to say goodbye! To Zavier, to Sevvie, to…to everyone!”

Great, big sobs overtook her, and the sudden strength was gone. Levi pulled her close again, making low shush noises as he rubbed the flat of his hand down her back. He was surprisingly good at comforting distraught women. Perhaps that was why Aki had called him? Rolling his eyes, unseen to Pasha, the pirate sighed. Usually the person he was comforting wasn’t his sister. He’d have to modify his usual resolution.

“Look, Princess…” He began a bit awkwardly, using his old pet name for Pasha. “This Zavier guy, that’s the problem?” Meli nodded against his chest, still gasping as she cried. “You love him?” A pause, but not a long one. Melisande nodded again, and her sadness seemed to double with her sobs. Levi winced. Maybe he wasn’t going about this the right way. He loved his sister, and hated to see her sweet self all twisted up like this. Hurrying, he tried to smooth the issue over.

“Love is easy, darlin’. One of the most natural things there is. This Zavier, he’s gotta be yer first love, and trust me. It’s just a drop in the bucket! Look, if I cried over every woman that broke my heart, I’d be all outta tears. I mean, there was Kitsu, and Isha…oh man! Don’t even get me started on Isha! And-“

Drawing in a huge, hitching breath, Melisande pushed away. Levi trailed off. Her cheeks were hot and her eyes were bright with tears, but Melisande suddenly looked so intent that he’d forgotten his point. Her voice was a broken little whisper, but her gaze was locked steadily on his.

”Zavier…isn’t…Isha.” She hiccupped the words, and scrubbed the back of one tiny hand against her eyes. Levi winced, expecting her make up to be smeared, was a bit surprised to realize she wasn’t wearing any. Pasha didn’t notice, focused on what she had to say. ”Did Isha have eyes the color of the sky on a perfect day?” Levi shook his head slowly no. ”Did she have hair the same color as silver edged clouds?” Again, he shook his head no. The pirate’s eyes went wide slowly at the vivid picture Melisande was painting, with both her intensity and her words.

”Did she ever sit by your side, in your darkest hour??” Her hands balled into fists, and just as suddenly, released. The passion in Meli’s voice faded into sweet, sorrowful longing. ”Was she someone who could make every day as bright as that hour was dark?”

Levi smiled slowly, marveling at the pink, tousled Raevan. Reaching forward, he combed some of the hair back from her face with rough fingers, tucking it behind her ear. “You know, Princess…mebbe I was wrong, eh? Mebbe that kinda love…well.” He leaned back and grinned, eyes bright. “Mebbe it doesn’t come by every day.”

For the first time, Melisande smiled. It was just a tiny smile, just an echo of a smile, but it was there. When she spoke again, her voice wavered. She looked very lost suddenly, big eyed and wild haired, a mess of tears and petals. “Oh, Levi. What do I do?!”

The pirate cast a sidelong, furtive glance towards the door, down the stairs where he knew Aki was waiting. She’d called him hear to talk Pasha down, not to rile her up, but his sister was a good sight more persuasive. With a sigh, his sharp face serious, Levi took a long look at Melisande.

“Yer wings ain’t broken, are they?” She shook her head no, eyes wide. He grinned suddenly, fiercely. “Then go, lass. Go!”

Hope lit Pasha’s face like a break in the clouds. She leaned forward, throwing her arms around her brother for one tight hug before whipping out of bed. Her wings snapped as she dove for the coat rack, and then for the balcony doors. With one last look back to the pirate on her bed, the muse smiled. It was a brilliant smile, and Levi felt his heart ache with a tiny jealous twinge. In his opinion, this Zavier was a pretty lucky guy.

”Thank you!” And Melisande was gone.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 pm
-RP with Zave in progress here!-  

Aki Ana

Aki Ana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:22 pm
Moving Day- Part 2

Cars ambled slowly down the quaint street, matching the pace of the people shopping around the old plaza. Melisande’s little tug-a-long suitcase rattled over the bricks, and she felt suddenly self-conscious. No one else had luggage with them. Looped over her other arm, Pasha carried a heavy purse…heavy because Alto was sleeping inside. He refused to walk, just like always. Holding the purse close to her, the muse paused on a corner and took a look around.

Cute shops lined the cozy street, many with wooden signs that creaked in the slight breeze. The weather was lovely…too lovely, in fact. Meli worried that she might get burned. In her hurry to pack, she’d taken only a few essential things, desperate to get out of the house before Aki realized what was going on and stopped her. Squinting up at the sunny sky, Pasha sighed. She’d forgotten her parasol. She’d have to buy a new one.

She knew right where the shop was. It was her favorite shop, after all! Aki took her there almost every week to buy something new. Thinking of her guardian made her sad, though, so Melisande shook her head and let the memories fade. She didn’t need Aki…she’d brought her own money, that she’d earned in tips from singing in the club! She had almost seventy dollars, and it was hers to spend however she wanted.

A bell chimed as she pushed open the etched glass door. The smell of the shop was so familiar it almost made her want to cry. It smelled like new roses and fresh laundry, clean and sweet. The face behind the counter was a new one, however, so Melisande made an effort to put on her best smile. The little suitcase she left by the door.

”H-hello! I would like to buy a parasol. For the sun.” She explained, feeling a little awkward. She’d never asked to buy anything before. That was something else Aki always seemed to handle.

“Of course!” The young man behind the counter chirped, and made his way around to face her. “Ah, and I see you’re already wearing something of ours. Lovely choice.” He sounded impressed as he twiddled his fingers in her direction.

Pasha stared blankly for a moment, blue eyes wide, until she figured out what he meant. Her corset! ”Oh, yes! My…Aki bought it for me.” She smoothed her hand over the fine boning, fingers tracing the delicate embroidery.

“Well, you’ll be wanting one of our Soleil d'Or line, I’m sure.” He placed one hand lightly against the small of Melisande’s back and steered her towards a display near the window. She floated along silently, eyes already on the parasols. A rainbow of soft, pastel umbrellas were closed and tied with matching bows, fanned out on a polished table top. Overhead, two of them were opened, hanging from the ceiling from slightly different heights like flowers in full bloom. They were delicately ruffled, long and slender. Melisande reached out and fingered the silky material gently.

“Not waterproof, of course.” He murmured. “These are silk, or we have cotton if you prefer.” His tone made it clear that no one really preferred cotton.

Pasha’s trailing fingers brushed the tag, and she glanced at it as it flipped. Her fingers paused. The total on the tag was more than all of her money put together! Swallowing, she withdrew her hand, suddenly feeling a bit dizzy. She didn’t even have enough money to buy an umbrella?! ”I…no, thank you. I should go.”

The young man started, and caught Melisande’s hand, knowing he was losing the sale. “Miss! Perhaps these aren’t to your taste? I have two in the case in the back, antique lace, both of them! If you’d like”

”No.” Melisande repeated, and blinked. Even she was surprised at how firm she sounded. ”But thank you.” She amended, and grabbed the handle of her suitcase by the door. He was still gaping at her as she slipped out of the shop, her heart racing. She drifted down the street, the wheels of her little luggage rattling swiftly over the bricks. Alto whuffed quietly from her purse and wiggled, trying to get comfortable again.

Melisande didn’t stop until she was out of sight of the shop. She was gasping, but she didn’t know if it was because she was out of breath, or about to cry. Pulling Alto out of her bag, she held the puppy close, trying to fix both problems at once by calming herself. ”It will be okay.” Pasha whispered. Alto didn’t look like he needed comforting, but she said it again anyway. ”It will be okay.”

The pug stared at her for a moment with his bulbous watery eyes before his face split into a yawn. That made her smile a little. Pink tongue curling, Alto stretched in her arms and then went limp. Limp was his normal state of being, so Melisande wasn’t worried. She settled him back down into her purse gently, and bounced him back to sleep. Once she felt a bit calmer, Melisande tried to think.

She paused in a spot of shade below a young tree, planted along the sidewalk. Seventy dollars. If she was going to make it last, she would have to be careful with her money. That meant no ice cream, she thought sternly to herself, and no silk. Definitely no silk. Pasha knew she couldn’t sing at the club again…Aki would think to look there, and if Aki caught her, she’d have to leave. Maybe forever. The thought brought a lump back to her throat, but Meli fought to ignore it. Now was a time for thinking, not a time for crying.

Blinking through the tears before they could spill, the muse took a trembling breath. Just as she was beginning to despair again, something caught her eye. Across the street was a rack of mismatched clothes outside a store, and a handwritten sign that said Everything $1! Pasha gasped. Just a dollar?! She hurriedly looked both ways before making her way across the street, tugging her little suitcase along behind her. She could get a whole new outfit for just a dollar!

The plastic hangers clacked as she descended on the rack, sweeping shirt after shirt to the side as she looked. Slowly, Melisande began to realize why they were all a dollar. They weren’t very cute…some weren’t even new! There were wrinkles, and stains, and missing buttons! Feeling the tears well up again, she let her hand fall from the rack. Something Aki once said came back to her. Melisande, you have expensive taste! She hadn’t understood it at the time, but now, she feared she did.

Pasha had just turned to leave when a friendly female voice called out. “Sister! Hey, sister!” She turned to look, curious, even though she knew it wasn’t directed at her. She didn’t have any sisters! There was a girl in the shop the rack had been in front of, sitting on the counter. She was waving at Melisande, and motioning her in. Confused, Melisande pointed at herself and mouthed a classic ‘me?’ before twisting around to look. There was no one else…the girl HAD to be talking to her.

“Yeah! Don’t be shy, come in! I have something that would look great on you!” The girl hopped down from the counter, and Pasha realized that she was a young woman, after all. It was hard to tell with the way the woman was dressed. She wore a loud pink and orange shirt with a twisted, splattery pattern and a long maroon skirt, with a pair of brown pants on underneath. Melisande smiled slowly. Who wore pants under a skirt? This person was silly!

The woman smiled back as Meli’s expression lightened. “It’s this way! You can leave your bags at the counter if you want. No one will mess with them.”

Pasha blinked as the girl disappeared further into the dim shop. She was suddenly a little hesitant to follow, but really, what else did she have to do? The muse drifted inside slowly, and propped her suitcase against the counter as instructed. She kept her purse close, though, in case Alto woke up. ”Where…?”

“Here!” Called a voice from the back. “Marco!”

”I’m sorry. My name isn’t Marco! I’m…I’m Pasha.” She’d never introduced herself as Pasha before, but it suddenly felt right. Meli wrinkled her nose against the smell as she squeezed past the crowded racks. It smelled like sweet dirt and smoke in the little shop, an unusual smell.

Suddenly, the girl was in front of her again, a riot of wild hair and bright colors. “Oh, ha! Good to meet you, Pasha. I’m Viola, or Vi, if you don’t mind.” She stuck out a hand, and Melisande shook it gently. Vi looked like she needed a hairbrush…her hair was all stuck together in long matted clumps, kind of like Levi’s dreads, but not nearly as skinny or as tidy. “And I didn’t really think you were called Marco. It’s a game, you know? One person says Marco, and the other one says Polo? So you can find them?”

”Oh!” Melisande gasped, her face lighting up. ”I do know! We played that in the pool!”

“Yeah!” Vi agreed enthusiastically. “That’s where we used to play it too! Marco!”

”Polo!”

They both laughed, and Melisande suddenly felt like a weight was lifted off of her. Viola was nice, and funny too! For a moment, Meli had forgotten all about her scary situation. She smiled at Vi when the laughter ended, noting the girl’s bright green eyes, and the way the three beauty marks on her cheek made a triangle. She was lost in a moment of reflection when Vi interrupted her thoughts with an excited noise.

“Hey, I found it! Take a look. Don’t you think it would look killer on you?” She yanked a blouse from the rack, and Melisande’s breath caught in her throat. The blouse was thin, almost sheer, in a fetching shade of purple and tiered with ruffles. “It’s only five dollars! Wouldn’t fit me, or I’d have bought it myself.” Viola laughed, but trailed off as she noticed Pasha staring. “What’s wrong? You don’t like it?” Concern creased her forehead, and Viola handed the shirt to Meli, who accepted it gingerly. “$3.50?”

It was Melisande’s shirt. Well, not any more…but it had been. It was one of the first shirts she’d ever owned! When she’d grown out of it, Aki had said she was going to donate it to ‘good will.’ Was that the name of this shop? Good Will? Seeing the shirt, so suddenly, made Melisande feel a little faint.

”No, it’s just…” She handed it back to Vi slowly, and brushed her hands together as though to dust them. It was part of a life she was leaving behind, and it wasn’t easy. Taking a breath, trying for a happier tone, Melisande grabbed the next shirt from the rack without really looking at it. ”It’s just that I like this one better!”

She held it up like a shield, and smiled. It was long sleeved, with thick white and green stripes, and a hole in one cuff. Viola grinned and put the purple blouse back on the rack withouth another thought. “Perfect! And it’s only two dollars!” She said. “And if you cut a hole in the other cuff, you can put your thumbs through them!”

”Okay!” Meli agreed eagerly, although she had no idea why she’d want to do such a thing. ”Oh, and…do you have any umbrellas? How much are they?”

“Just one.” Viola said, leading her towards the front again. She handed Pasha a stubby, navy blue umbrella…compact and Velcro-ed shut. “And for you? Fifty cents!”

Melisande beamed.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm
Moving On -Part 3

The sign in the window of the little thrift shop had long since been flipped to closed. Melisande was settled next to Vi on top of the counter, with Alto’s head sticking out of the purse between them. He huffed a puppy sigh and rested his head on the edge of the bag, gazing at Vi as she talked.

“…So the guy comes in, desperate to get the purse back. When his wife found out he’d donated it, apparently, she flipped!” Viola popped another cracker into her mouth and grinned, crunching as Pasha laughed. “I guess it was some designer bag, like, totally expensive, but they’d all looked the same to him! So he’s looking everywhere, like, sweating bullets.”

Melisande reached out for a cracker absently, still absorbed in the story. This was her favorite thing about Vi…the girl could prattle on about nothing at all, and somehow, it always seemed fascinating! The raevan wasn’t really hungry, Vi’s attention alone left her feeling more than satiated, but munching along with the other woman was almost automatic. ”Did he find it? Where was it?”

Viola grinned and let the silence stretch, looking like she was about to burst. Finally, she leaned over the counter and pulled out a bag, waving it over Alto’s head. “Right here!! I’d bought it as soon as it had came in!!” Their laughter filled the little shop. Alto took advantage of their distraction and leaned towards Meli, eating the forgotten cracker right out of her hand. “I mean, I would have given it to him, I guess, but all my stuff was already in it! Way too embarrassing.”

Melisande’s laughter was like chiming bells, high and sweet. When the moment passed, the girls admired the bag in silence for a moment. Melisande didn’t know what a designer bag was, but she knew she had one with the exact same print at home. The thought of ‘home’ made her sad though, and the emotion must have reflected on her face.

“Aww, hey.” Vi said, and leaned forward to rub Pasha’s shoulder a bit. “Thinking about your mom? Aki, right?”

Pasha nodded, giving the other girl a sad smile. She’d told the short version of the story when it was time for the shop to close, when Viola asked if she needed a ride. Melisande had to admit there was no where for her to go, and Vi had offered to stick around the shop for a while so Meli could think on it. ”I’ve…never been away over night before. There was a sleep over once, that I went to, but I didn’t end up staying.” That was a sad memory as well, so Meli didn’t dwell on it. ”But don’t worry, I’ll figure something out as I walk. Sorry to keep you here so long, Vi~.”

Viola laughed lightly and shook her head. Pasha caught a whiff of her strange, musky perfume. She was getting used to it. “No worries, sister! Look, if you want, you can stay in the back room here until you figure it out. I’ll have to lock you in overnight, but there’s a bathroom and everything. Just put down some news paper in the bathroom for the pup.” She munched another cracker, and held yet another one up over Alto’s head, trying to make him stand up on his hind legs for it. Alto didn’t so much as sit up. Vi smiled, and gave him the cracker anyway, cooing something sweet as she ruffled him between his ears.

Melisande stared. Vi made the offer so casually, she almost didn’t realize it had been made. ”Stay here? I…” Pasha’s voice broke a little, and she trailed off. Her instinct to say ‘I couldn’t’ was strong, very strong, but the muse took a moment to think it through. Could she still afford the luxury of manners? In reality, she didn’t have anywhere else to go. ”I…would really appreciate that. Oh, thank you, Vi!!”

Leaning across the counter, she gave the woman a sudden hug. Viola made a startled noise through her mouthful of cracker, but returned the hug warmly. She was very soft to hug, not lean and angular like Aki was at all.

“Sure, of course! I’ll leave my number in case you need to call me for anything. You can use the shop phone. I’ll be back early tomorrow, cause I’m sure people are going to be lined up, hoping to buy that get up of yours!”

Melisande beamed. Her embroidered corset and frilly white shirt were displayed right in the front window, each on their own mannequin bust. The corset had a little tag that read $9, and the white shirt was tagged for just $4. Pasha was glad to give them up. Not only had Viola promised that Pasha could keep the money if they sold, but she’d also helped Pasha pick out a whole new outfit.

She wore the long sleeved striped shirt that she’d picked out earlier, her thumbs peeking through the matching holes in the cuffs. It was almost like having her long gloves on! The outfit was finished with a full length, pale pink peasant skirt and a looping grey scarf. The scarf was only fifty cents, Vi had told her, because it was ‘off season.’ The corset and shirt were sure to sell first thing, she’d warned Pasha…so she had to be sure she wanted to part with them.

Melisande was sure.

Viola fed another cracker to Alto, and slid down off the counter and onto her feet. “Well, I gotta get going. My cats need fed! Are you sure you don’t want anything else for dinner, Pasha? I could run you to the store…”

”I’m sure. Thank you!” Melisande drifted down from the counter as well, but left Alto up where he was. Unless he fell asleep and rolled over, Melisande knew he wouldn’t be going anywhere. ”I really mean it.” She repeated, voice a bit thick as she smiled at Vi. ”Thank you.”

“It’s no thing.” The other woman grinned, and gave Pasha a hug this time. The Raevan returned it, blinking back grateful tears over her smile. “I’ll see you in the morning, okay? 7:30!”

7:30 had almost turned into 8am by the time Vi actually arrived. She carried a grocery bag in one hand, and a small bag of dog kibble cradled in the other arm. Melisande zipped to the door the moment she heard the keys jangle, and greeted Vi with bright enthusiasm.

”Oh, good morning! Pasha threw her arms around Viola’s shoulders, and they both laughed when they realized Vi couldn’t return the hug. ”Let me help you with that!” Grabbing the bag, Melisande spun gracefully and placed it on the counter. When she turned back, she realized Vi was staring.

Pasha had picked out a new outfit for herself , after Vi had locked up. The muse now wore a white men’s dress shirt, belted at the waist, and unbuttoned nearly to her navel. A polka-dotted bikini top was visible across her chest, and she wore two long mismatched necklaces that dangled just above the bikini tie. Her hair was down, curls a little wild without their usual grooming.

Blinking, Melisande slowed, wondering why Vi wasn’t speaking. It dawned on her slowly. She wasn’t wearing a skirt! Her ribbon rippled as she started. ”Oh!” Pasha’s eyes went wide as she realized what Viola must be seeing. ”I have no legs!”

Vi’s eyes yanked up to meet Melisande’s. For a moment they stared at each other with matching expressions of almost comical pure shock. Vi’s lips twisted into a sudden smile, and instantly they were both laughing.

“Oh!~” Viola crooned, almost choking with laughter. “I have…no LEGS!” Her impression of Melisande left them both practically rolling, the moment of shock absolutely shattered. It took minutes for their laughter to die down to hiccups and chuckles. Viola wiped one eye, then the other, with the back of her free hand. “Oh man, Pasha! You kill me!”

Melisande giggled again, and wiped her own eyes. ”I think you’re funny!” She countered. ”Aren’t you surprised?” Despite the humor, the muse was genuinely interested. Most people weren’t so cavalier about such things!

“I kinda noticed last night.” Vi admitted, and finally set the bag of kibble on the counter. Alto snuffled curiously from somewhere nearby. “When we were sitting up here. Your skirt goes kinda…flat, when you sit. Besides that,” She added, and began to dig in the grocery bag, looking back over one shoulder. “You have wings. So, like, you’re obviously kind of special.”

Melisande blushed. She went to such trouble to wear long skirts in town, but she’d never once thought about her wings! ”I guess that’s true! But then, why were your staring?”

“Oh!” Viola turned to face Melisande, and handed her an apple. Pasha took it automatically. “Because you look awesome! Like, not that I could pull that outfit off, but I wouldn’t have even thought of it! You’re just really beautiful!”

Pasha’s blush deepened. Vi’s kindness was fulfilling in a strange way, but Melisande didn’t question it. ”You’re beautiful too.” She said quietly, with a shy smile. The smile faded a bit as she tilted her head at the other woman. ”Well, your hair could be more beautiful, but the rest of you is just perfect!”

Viola stuck her tongue out at Pasha without missing a beat, and they both laughed. “Different strokes for different folks, right?” Melisande nodded, and Vi grinned. “Hey, I bought you some food, and some other little things. I was thinking…oh. OH.”

Viola trailed off, obviously shocked again. Her mouth was round with surprise, green eyes wide. Melisande twisted to follow the other woman’s gaze back into the shop.

Everything had been rearranged. A rainbow of color gazed back at them. Every piece of clothing had been shaken out, neatly hung, and organized by like color. A rack of red shirts faded gracefully into a set of burnt orange and yellow, followed by a long burst of green garments. Meli smiled, silent, and Viola took several slow steps forward, into the heart of the shop. Her fingers trailed along the racks of clothes as though it were a field of flowers, stopping only when she’d reached the darkest blacks in the rear of the shop.

”Pasha, it’s…perfect. It’s so awesome! You did this?”

Nodding from where she was, next to the counter, Melisande’s smile widened. ”I wanted to say thank you, for letting me stay. I thought I could go out and buy some flowers today as well, for the window!” She paused for a moment, watching as Vi gazed at her elegant, tidy new shop. ”I changed the racks around, to make it easier to move in here, and organized everything in each color sections by size.”

Twisting to gaze at Pasha, Vi gave her a flat look. On anyone else, the look might have been scary, but on Viola, it blatantly said ‘no way.’ Melisande just nodded, still smiling. Turning back to the rack, Viola leafed through it, plastic hangers clacking. “Oh, NICE!” She squealed, and her disbelief was washed away with a cheek splitting grin. “Pasha, you’re the BEST! I love it!! You didn’t have to do this!”

Shrugging, Pasha’s smile dimpled, and she rubbed the apple on the sleeve of her white dress shirt. ”You didn’t either! It didn’t take long, I just wanted to do something nice for you. I think some brighter lights, and the flowers, and then everyone will want to shop here!”

Viola was laughing softly to herself, obvious still amazed. By the time she returned to the counter, her cheeks were pink with pleasure. “Hey, really, thanks. It’s never looked this nice in here. And it feels so roomy! It’s like it went from a shack to a mansion! You can tell how impressed I was with your new look though, if I didn’t even notice the shop at first.” She nudged the muse playfully, but Melisande didn’t seem to be paying attention. Her lips were parted, blue eyes a little unfocused. “Hey, Pasha! You okay, sister?”

The distant look on Melisande’s faded slowly, replaced by a smile so bright that the muse truly seemed to glow. Her eyes focused on Viola’s, dancing with excitement. ”I figured it out!” She exclaimed, taking the other woman lightly by the shoulders.

“Figured what out?” Vi was baffled, and tilted her head first one way, then the other.

”Where I can go!” Melisande’s voice trilled with exultation, rising with musical joy. It was clear by Vi’s face that she still didn’t understand. ”You reminded me! Something you said! The mansion!!

Viola smiled slowly. “You have a mansion? That you forgot about? why am I not surprised?” Her lips twisted wryly.

Laughing, Pasha released her, and did a brief mid-air dance. Closing her eyes and giving her wild curls a shake, the muse shimmied and twisted, obviously over the moon with happiness. ”Oh, it’s perfect! Aki doesn’t even know about it! She’ll never find me! And oh!” Another excited shock rippled through her, and Pasha’s wings furled gently. ”Zavier’s already been there! He’ll know where to find me! And it’s not really my mansion, I guess, but I think it belonged to someone in my family! I’ll-”

Melisande’s voice cut off abruptly as the bell above the door chimed. The light dimmed as someone large filled the doorway. Abruptly shy, Pasha’s wings snapped closed, and she drifted a bit behind Viola. Vi turned automatically, and greeted the man in the doorway.

“Hey, welcome! Feel free to take a look around, let me know if you need anything?” The words were effortless, Pasha thought. Almost automatic. Viola was a good business woman, and Melisande was suddenly proud of her new friend.

The man in the doorway, however, she wasn’t so sure about. He wasn’t moving, wasn’t speaking. Pasha lifted her eyes to his face, and froze, transfixed. There was almost something…familiar about him. He was clean cut, well groomed…a little older, and thickly built. He was wearing a crisp white dress shirt, almost identical to the one Meli herself was wearing, and sharp looking khakis. The silence threatened to stretch, but he broke it abruptly with a smile. Meli noticed the smile didn’t quite touch his eyes.

”Apologies, but I’m not here to shop. I couldn’t help but notice you, I was walking by.” He explained himself in a smooth, deep voice. There was something almost professional about the way he clipped his words, carefully enunciated and succinct. ”If I may ask,” The large man inclined his head, obviously speaking to Pasha. ”Have you ever modeled?”

Melisande could feel Viola go rigid with excitement next to her. She sought the other woman’s hand for support, expecting the tight squeeze. ”Have I ever…what?”

”Excellent.” He boomed, and offered one big hand forward for a shake. Suddenly, the smile was in his eyes. ”My name is Alain. The pleasure is all mine.”  

Aki Ana

Aki Ana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:21 pm
-RP with Ebs/Cordelia, FINISHED here!-  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:26 pm
Business and Pleasure

A little sign in the thrift shop window read ‘closed,’ but Pasha barely noticed. The little key tied to her wrist fit twisted easily in the lock, and the bell overhead tinkled to announce her return. ”Vi? It’s me!” The excitement in Melisande’s voice was obvious, and Vi hurried out from the back.

“Hey, welcome back! How was your day?” Viola’s hands were busy in her matted hair, tying it back from her face. The moment she was done, she opened her arms, and Pasha dove in for a hug. “That good, huh?”

”That good!” Meli agreed with a laugh, and gave her friend another squeeze. She broke out of Vi’s arms with a spin, belted top flaring. I met someone new. Someone like me!” Stopping her spin with a laugh, Pasha smoothed down her makeshift shirt. ”Her name was Delia!”

Vi pushed up on the counter, drumming her feet against the side of it absently. “Oh yeah? Where did you meet her? What was she like?” Pasha could tell by the way Vi’s eyes went wide that the girl was eager to hear about her new friend. Smiling, Melisande swept up onto the counter as well and snuggled against Viola.

”Well, I was going down to the boutique, to see if I could get an ap…apple…”

“Application?” Vi offered.

”Application! But I saw something in the window of the music shop! At first I didn’t believe it, but…it was someone else like me! A Frei, though!” Vi had just opened her mouth to ask the obvious question when Melisande started to explain. ”Frei means young, I suppose! No tummy. Ribbon up to here.” With one slender hand, she mimicked a line right under her slender bust, where her vibrant red top was belted. Vi’s mouth was an O of surprise. ”But she was wearing a lot of black clothes, and had really sharp wings. I thought she’d be scary, but…”

“You talked to her anyway?” Vi grinned as Pasha blushed and nodded. “Hey, I’m proud of you! That’s the way to do it!”

Melisande smiled back, clapping her hands. ”Ooh, thank you! Me too! Anyway, she was really nice. So was her…guardian…”

Vi watched as Meli’s elation faded. “Hey, I’m sorry. Are you thinking about Aki?” The muse nodded, eyes downcast. Vi sighed and wrapped her arm around Pasha’s shoulders, pulling the Raevan in close. “Girl, you know I’m okay with whatever you wanna do, but…maybe it’s time to call her? At least tell her you’re safe?”

”I…I can’t do that! She’d make me move! She’-“ Panic started to set in, but Vi held the Raevan close before she tried to push away.

“I know, I know. But it might make you feel better, just to call. You don’t have to tell her where you are, but you’ve been gone for how many days now?” Vi twisted to look at the calendar behind the counter. “It’s Saturday now, so…over a week? I’m sure Aki is worried sick…”

”It’s…Saturday?” Melisande’s voice had dropped to a whisper. Eyes wide, she twisted to look at the calendar as well, color draining from her face.

“Yeah? Pasha, what’s wrong?”

”ALAIN!” Melisande cried, and her wings snapped open. With a single strong flap, she shot off the counter, desperately lunging towards the clothes racks. ”I’m supposed to meet him for dinner, remember? Saturday, at the Plaza Café!! Oh no! What will I wear?! I’m going to be late, I don’t have time to make a new outfit! I…”

“Pasha. PASHA!” Vi raised her voice, trying to capture the Sigel’s attention. When the muse finally froze and blinked up at her, she realized Vi was smiling. “I have the perfect thing for you to wear. Go to the dressing room, I’ll hand it over!”

Melisande wasted no time. Zipping behind the curtain, she stripped out of her red belted top, dropping it carelessly on the floor. She stuck one slender pale arm out of the dressing room, making grabby fingers at whatever Vi was going to give her.

Viola pulled a paper bag out from behind the counter, smiling to herself. She handed the whole paper bag to Pasha, and listened to it crinkle and rip as the muse opened it. There was a moment of silence that seemed to stretch.
The curtains parted, and Meilsande peeked out. Her hair was down around her shoulders, bare chest only partly covered by the embroidered satin corset she was clutching. ”Viola? This…this was mine. You told me…you sold it…”

Vi nodded, tears starting in her green eyes. “I did sell it! To myself. I thought you might need it again, someday. Like when you have a modeling scout to impress?”

Pasha’s eyes also started to shine with tears that could have been happy or sad. ”I…don’t know what to say.”

“Say you’ll wear it! It looks gorgeous on you. You deserve nice clothes, Pasha. I’m glad you’re trying so many new things, but that doesn’t mean you have to leave everything old behind. You know?”

One of the tears rolled down the muses cheek, and she smiled slowly. ”I think…you’re right. Help me lace up! And maybe, once I’m back, I’ll give Aki a call.”

Vi whooped in triumph, and ducked into the dressing room still laughing. “You got it, sister!”

She had to admit, it felt good to be in her own clothes again. The corset smoothed along her curves like a second skin, and Melisande ran her hands down her sides, fingers tracing the long ribs of boning and the delicate embroidery. Her belted sleeves covered her pale arms, fingertips peeking out just past the lace. Vi had insisted on taking just long enough to smooth Meli’s curls, and work the ribbon back into its usual bow.

All around her, the Plaza Café was humming. It was a lovely, outdoor affair…lit with strung lanterns and twinkling lights twisting through the trees. In truth, Meli had expected something simpler…when she thought ‘café’ she thought sandwiches and aprons, not flowering branches and flickering candles. A silver gazebo sat like a delicate cage in the center of the outdoor seating, its narrow pillars twined with fragrant honeysuckle. In the gazebo was a single table, and at the table…

Alain.

Melisande swallowed. He was much…larger, than she remembered. He sat casually in one of the two white chairs, both elbows on the table and hands lightly clasped. His answering smile was slow under dark eyes, and she shivered. Wings flicking nervously as she tried to collect herself, Melisande took a deep breath and finally drifted forward.

By the time she reached the pavilion, Alain was on his feet, sliding her chair smoothly out from the table. ”I’m so honored you could join me. Good evening.” His voice was rich and deep, nearly as impressive as he was. He tipped his head kindly as the muse approached.

”Good evening.” Pasha repeated his greeting automatically, though her heart was hammering in her chest. She was distantly aware of how high and sweet her voice sounded against his, and how completely the two complemented each other. Dropping her eyes shyly, she settled weightlessly onto the chair, tucking her wings in tight.

Her greeting seemed to amuse him. His lips tucked up at the corners like the swoop of the horns of a bull, but the smile never seemed to reach his eyes. ”What are your impressions of the café, my dear?” Alain took his own seat again with surprising grace as he spoke.

Melisande blinked, and took a look around. The plaza was even more beautiful from the serenity of the gazebo, a sea of gently leafed branches and tiny candles under the pastel painted sky. ”It’s…lovely.” She met his eyes timidly, spots of pink high in her cheeks. ”Have you been here before?”

For the first time, Alain’s eyes creased with a genuine smile. ”Of course, my dear. This is my establishment.” It took a few moments for the words to sink in. The moment he saw understanding written across Pasha’s shocked face, he laughed lightly. ”Our grand opening is coming up, in just a few days. That’s why I’ve asked you here.”

He…owned this place? Meli’s lips parted, and she drifted up a bit from her seat. She’d just gathered the courage to ask what he could possibly need of her when a young man cleared his throat from nearby. There was a crisp white cloth folded neatly over his forearm, and he held a dark bottle tilted neatly for inspection. Alain took a cursory glance at the label and nodded, not bothering to watch as two tall crystal glasses were filled.

Meli knew what it was in the glasses, and her blue eyes traced the golden bubbles upward as they gathered thickly at the rim of the glass. Champagne? She had poured it for Aki and her guests on Valentines Day, but she hadn’t been allowed to try it. It’s for adults, her guardian’s voice echoed in her memory. Pasha’s slender fingers curled gently around the tall glass. She was on her own now. That made her an adult, didn’t it?

The tall man across from her watched as the muse lifted the glass gracefully. The silver at his temples was stained gold with the setting sun. ”A toast.” He tipped his own glass towards Melisande’s lightly.

”A toast?” Meli swallowed again. Her pale curls brushed over her shoulders as though she could hide behind them.

”Indeed! To you! With your help, I am sure my newest venture will be a success.” The glasses clinked almost inaudibly, and he held the Sigel’s eyes as he took a long sip.

Trying to hold her hand steady, Meli brought the glass to her lips, taking a much daintier taste. It was sharp, and not as sweet as she’d expected. The bubbles trilled and tickled against her tongue. Swallowing reflexively, the muse marveled at the spot of heat that settled into her stomach. ”With my…help? How can I help?”

”So kind of you to offer!” Alain purred, setting his glass back down. Pasha’s lips parted as she tried to protest, but he spoke over her attempt. ”There is something you could do, point of fact. I need photos for the press, and I can think of no one I’d rather have featured. You say you’ve never modeled, but you’re simply perfect…” Pausing as he leaned back, Alain gave her a long and speculating look. When he spoke again, his voice was low. ”…and it pays very well.”

Melisande froze, hands still curled around the tall fluted glass. ”It…pays? As in, a job?” Her heart felt like a bird in her chest. If she had a job, she could support herself! She wouldn’t have to rely on Aki, or Vi, or anyone else!

”As in a job.” He repeated, lips curving into a familiar smile. ”Of course, it is only a single photo shoot, but…” His timing was impeccable. Alain waited until Melisande’s face fell before continuing. ”…I also need a hostess for the Café, if all goes well. Of course, that all depends on if I can find someone to sing at the grand opening…”

”I can sing!” The prospect of a lasting job had Melisande nearly breathless. She’d had to leave the club where she used to sing behind, since Aki would have thought to look for her there. Nearly rising from her seat, Meli leaned forward across the table, hands gripping the arms of her chair. ”Truly, I can! Maybe-“

”Maybe you’re just who I’m looking for!” Alain finished, sounding a bit surprised. Like the smile, the surprise didn’t quite touch his eyes. The muse barely noticed, still taken with the idea. ”I’m sure you’re perfect for the job, d’Pasha. Just perfect.”

”Oh, I hope so! I…” Something broke through the excitement, and Meli leaned away slowly as her eyes went wide. ”I…I’m sorry, what did you call me?”

Alain’s eyes also went wide, innocence written across his face. ”Pasha? It is your name, is it not?”

A few moments of silence filled the sweet scented air. Dropping her eyes, Meli spotted her champagne, and picked it up again, glad for the distraction. Was that what he’d said? Because it had sounded like-

”My dear, no need to be so cautious. Let’s enjoy our meal, shall we? Business can wait until afterwards.”

As though on cue, no less than three waiters appeared, each bearing a tray covered with a spotless silver dome. Melisande settled back in her chair, taking in the sights and smells of the luscious courses as they were revealed one by one. Already, her momentary concern was fading, and Alain’s half smile had returned.

Business could wait.  

Aki Ana

Aki Ana

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:28 pm
-RP with Lucia and Zul, in progress here!-  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 pm
Business, Part 1

”Excuse me! I’m- excuse me! Oh, sorry!!” Pasha made apologies as best she could as she zipped through the crowd. Her full length white Grecian dress streamed behind her rather dramatically, earning ‘ohs’ and ‘ahs’ from those assembled. It wasn’t until she reached the edge of the Plaza that she realized they weren’t just a crowd…they were guests, waiting to be seated.

Her cheeks were pink and her breath came short by the time she reached her podium. It was styled after a broken column, but knowing Alain, it was probably the genuine article. On top of the pedestal was a little gold book, filled with reservations, and on top of the book…was Alain’s massive hand. He drummed his fingers slowly, no amusement on his face.

”You’re late.”

Melisande blushed harder, and dropped her head. ”I’m so sorry! I didn’t know how long it would take to get here from my new house, and-!” Tendrils of blonde hair escaped her careful updo, and drifted to frame her pink cheeks. She gave a start when his strong hand carefully cupped her jaw, silencing her excuses and tilting her face back up.

”You have a new place?” If anything, his voice sounded darker. Alain appraised her with his brows drawn low, her face still resting in his hand. ”I thought you were staying with a friend. Where?”

The words wouldn’t come. Melisande hovered silently, lips parted, as she stared up at him frozen. It was only the polite cough of a waiting customer that broke Alain’s spell. Jolting again, she pulled back, feeling his thumb trace none too gently down her jaw line.

”Oh, I’m sorry! Do you have reservations? What name, please?” She reached for the golden book like it was a life preserver, gratefully dropping her gaze to the pages. The names were distorted through unshed tears. Gently, Alain’s hand settled on her shoulder, and he turned the muse to face him once again.

”Apologies, she’ll only be a moment.” He demurred to the waiting patrons, baritone voice a comforting rumble. With a touch much more delicate, he tucked the loose curls back into Melisande’s elaborate updo. ”There, much better, my dear. Don’t fret, everything will be fine.” She was relieved to see kindness crinkling the corners of his eyes, and offered him a tentative smile back. ”The dress looks stunning on you. I knew it would.”

Pasha glanced down to the long, flowing white drapery. The material was so thin it let light through at the edges, and it was daringly pinned at each shoulder with a flower similar to those at her temples, leaving her arms completely bare. It wasn’t the lack of sleeves that bothered her, but the way it gaped open in the back…revealing a fair expanse of skin all the way to the small of her back, almost to the place where her body ended. The ribbon was artfully concealed, and her own wings were adorned with the same small, pink white blossoms as the shoulders of the gown.

Blushing again, she returned to the book, and blinked back the fading tears. ”I’m sorry, what name? Oh, of course, here you are. This way, please! Your table is waiting.” She offered a brilliant smile that she didn’t really feel to the couple by the podium, and turned to lead them across the Plaza Café. A slight noise from Alain stopped her.

”The menus, Pasha?”

”Of course.” Quiet again, she carefully lifted two sheets of parchment from the stack, embarrassment sweeping through her. A much different touch, a cool dry hand, graced her arm.

“Don’t worry, dear! You’ll get the hang of it!” Mrs. Reed, one of the customers she was guiding, gave her another pat. “I waited tables for twenty years! Of course, never in a place like this…” Mr. Reed nodded proudly, and patted his wife’s hand, which still rested on Pasha’s arm.

Taking a deep breath, then another, Melisande forced herself to calm and smile. She inclined her head to the couple with thanks, and motioned to the table. The legs were curling ironwork with ivy scrolling, tabletop draped in a white that was almost as pure as Pasha’s floor length dress. Ivory plates rested on gold chargers, and real flowers filled a small decorative urn in the center of the setting. Pasha’s smile dimpled as Mr. Reed pulled out a chair for his wife. They were so kind to one another, it was romantic! Once they were seated, she placed the menus gracefully in front of them, and dipped in a bit of a curtsy. ”Your server will be with you shortly.” She said as memorized, but paused. ”And…thank you.”

She was in much better spirits as she drifted back to the pedestal, wings spread wide to catch the breeze. The line hadn’t diminished, but none of the customers seemed put out…they were all too excited to be attending the grand opening of most exclusive new establishment in town. Melisande plucked two more menus from the stack, and twirled…and found herself face to chest with Alain once again.

His smile was so warm that she found it almost disconcerting. ”Well done, Pasha. You’re doing beautifully. Can you keep it up until 5 this evening?”

”I…I thought-“ She swallowed, dulcet voice soft and uncertain. ”I thought I worked until 7?”

”You do!” He agreed, and curved one warm hand around her slender upper arm. She swallowed again, caught by his eyes. ”But from 5 to 7, you won’t be seating.”

”What will I be doing?” Her voice was a whisper, wings closing tight against her body. Several customers from the line gasped, delighted at the trick.

”Pasha,” Alain said fondly, smoothing his hand down her arm absently. ”You’ll be singing, of course!”  

Aki Ana

--[ Raevan Journals ]--

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces