59%
 59%  [ 16 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 27

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:37 am
Aye, lets!, now then, didst thou read the literature presented by the site? mayhap yee found it of some use? I have met one of them, and he was brilliant, to say the least, anyways, what shall we converse about?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:50 am
I read it! I did, however, find flaws. Note that they are posted on the first page of this thread, shortly after you left last night. I would also like to point out this link, which shows an article-like thingy about theism and evolution as a whole.

http://www.theistic-evolution.com/index.html

Once you've scanned a bit, click on the link that says 'Essay in Favor of Theistic Evolution'.

Eaten By Cheese

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:40 am
I put it in favourites for reading later, I did however get an explaination from one of those professors, it says in the bible that sin entered the world with man, and that before "all was good" as in, the animals were calm, serene, and were not violent, however, of the earth were there for billions of years, and the animals were killing and such, that is deemed "good" by yahewh?, I don't believe it so, he explained it better, but that's what I remember.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:08 am
According to evolution, man evolved with animal. Therefore, this said sin was brought into the world WITH animals. After all, what are humans but a more complex form of animals? We contain the same things--a heart, lungs, intestines, ect., and we can both vocalize in our own ways of speaking. Evidence points to humans being a more evolved form of animals, and hence, evolution.

You have contradicted yourself. Animals have been killing to survive for longer than humans have existed, and if sin had entered the world with man, as you said, then are you saying that God does not view killing as a sin? There is evidence--the Bible directly contradicts this statement.

Eaten By Cheese

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:01 am
Like I said, he explained better, but the difference is it's not contridictive IF you don't include humans as animals, because, in genesis, God states "Let us make man in OUR own image" and we were to be different, have a soul, tend the garden of nature, though we messed that up bad, the point is, if you don't consider man an animal, things change.

and as for "animals have been killing long before man existed,
it says the man and animals were created within only days of each other, and if they had been, when God finished his creation he wouldn't have condoned the slaughter that was supposedly happening for millions of years and call it "good" as said in genesis.

PS: Commeth the inquisitor may be able to help me explain better, or just imput his own, damn I hope he comes back, he's one of my online heros! xd , he has already been here, and hopefully he comes back.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:30 am
Ah! Sorry it took me so long to reply!!! I forgot to tell you I usuall can't get online during the weekdays!

Evidence, however, points to man being an animal, just more complex. There has been scattered evidence throughout the ages. The only record of the garden of Eden, ect., is in the Bible, is it not? Well, how about we take the Bible out of the picture for the moment, as words can be faked. Now where is the evidence?

It is not physically possible for such complex life-forms to be created within days. If this was so, why are there fossils of humans as they evolved, and the same for animals? Does God try to fool us? If so, why would He be doing so, if it is evidence that He did not do what is said in the Bible. Seems a bit contradictive.

Yay for online heroes! mrgreen He doesn't seem to have posted, though....

Eaten By Cheese

GO-YAFFA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am
Well I'm not very well eduacted on the topic so I'm not going to give specifics on the topic but many of my religion teachers hace told me that the creation story may not be all that true. Since noone was there it is possible that it was just the Jews way of explaining first man. As many have told me, and I believe no matter how it happened it was God behind it all. I actually think that if humans actually evolved, it shows just how power ful God is since he created humans with the ability to adapt to any situation.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:19 am
Thank you for psoting this. It's good to talk rationally to an athiest. In the GD and ED most just yell at me and say I'm a Bible thumper even though I'm just explaining Christianity and Christian belifs. Anyway:

In your first post you mention heaven. Do you believe that people go to heaven when they die?

Do you see anything wrong with people believing in God? I mean relgion sets good guidelines toward how people should live their lives. I've heard people complain that it's restricting and doesn't allow people to be who they are but alot of things taught in the Bible stand the test of times. Love your neighbor as your self, love thine enemies, the ten commandments, judge not lest ye be judged are just a few. But yeah that's all mrgreen  

GO-YAFFA

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 pm
So cheese long time no see. Have you posted in the GAU guild.

TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JK!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:08 pm
GO-YAFFA
Well I'm not very well eduacted on the topic so I'm not going to give specifics on the topic but many of my religion teachers hace told me that the creation story may not be all that true. Since noone was there it is possible that it was just the Jews way of explaining first man. As many have told me, and I believe no matter how it happened it was God behind it all. I actually think that if humans actually evolved, it shows just how power ful God is since he created humans with the ability to adapt to any situation.

Good for you! It's refreshing to see such an open-minded point of view. It's most likely true--it seems to me, at least--that this creation thoery was thought up for the reason you said. I've found many people resist the evidence because it directly contradicts the Bible. I'm glad to know you--and your religion teachers--are taking everything into account. mrgreen

Eaten By Cheese

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:51 pm
GO-YAFFA
Thank you for psoting this. It's good to talk rationally to an athiest. In the GD and ED most just yell at me and say I'm a Bible thumper even though I'm just explaining Christianity and Christian belifs. Anyway:

In your first post you mention heaven. Do you believe that people go to heaven when they die?

Do you see anything wrong with people believing in God? I mean relgion sets good guidelines toward how people should live their lives. I've heard people complain that it's restricting and doesn't allow people to be who they are but alot of things taught in the Bible stand the test of times. Love your neighbor as your self, love thine enemies, the ten commandments, judge not lest ye be judged are just a few. But yeah that's all mrgreen

Of course! Religion's a touchy subject--it can bring out the bad in people, but it can also bring out the good. However, I know what it's like to have your beliefs challenged. I certainly hope atheists such as this don't give people the impression all atheist are so rude--the majority are not, it's just that the rude ones tend to stand out... Personally, I think it's fine for someone to explain their own beliefs!

I've thought about this question quite a bit at one time or another, let me tell you.

Before someone is born, before they are in the womb, even, does their spirit exist? I believe that when someone dies their spirit goes to the same place as before their birth: into nothingness. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

I think to most people, it's not a question of whether heaven exists, but as to whether God would truly cast someone from heaven simply if they did not believe in His existence when they lived. After all, is someone who commits a murder and yet is very religious as much of a sinner as someone who did not believe in God's existance and yet performed kind, caring, selfless deeds throughout their life?

For heaven to exist, it would have to be in a separate dimension. If this is so, what makes it so likely that we'll end up in THAT dimension, rather than all the other ones? How do we even know separate dimensions exist?

I can't rule out the possibility, but I see the existance of heaven to be unlikely. So I'll live my life the best I can, regardless. If there is some sort of eternal judgment, I'll hope that I've lived my life well. If not, what's the difference?

Do you see anything wrong with people believing in God?

It depends. If you believe in God ONLY because you've been told you should and you'll go to heaven for it, then I think that's wrong. If someone believes in God, shouldn't it be because they beleive He can guide them, and help them to be a better person? If you've never questioned God, but lived all yor life in blind faith, THEN there's a problem. Not questioning means you're not thinking--how do you know God is real? 'Because it's written in a book'? Books can lie. 'Because my preacher says so'? People can lie, too. 'Because I searched my heart to find what I think is true, and I want to live my life well with God to guide me'? Now I think THAT'S a worthy reason.

I don't think anyone should be looked down upon for their beliefs, however. People have a right to beleive what they wish.

I think believing in God is a great thing for some who have used God as an incentive to improve their own lives and the lives of those around them. To them, I say: Rock on. You're doing great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:05 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
So cheese long time no see. Have you posted in the GAU guild.

TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JK!

whee Yes I have.

How'd you find this thread? xP

Eaten By Cheese

The G-Bomb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:14 pm
Have you looked into other faiths/belief systems other than Christianity and Atheism?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:10 am
Eaten By Cheese
GO-YAFFA

Of course! Religion's a touchy subject--it can bring out the bad in people, but it can also bring out the good. However, I know what it's like to have your beliefs challenged. I certainly hope atheists such as this don't give people the impression all atheist are so rude--the majority are not, it's just that the rude ones tend to stand out... Personally, I think it's fine for someone to explain their own beliefs!

I've thought about this question quite a bit at one time or another, let me tell you.

Before someone is born, before they are in the womb, even, does their spirit exist? I believe that when someone dies their spirit goes to the same place as before their birth: into nothingness. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

I think to most people, it's not a question of whether heaven exists, but as to whether God would truly cast someone from heaven simply if they did not believe in His existence when they lived. After all, is someone who commits a murder and yet is very religious as much of a sinner as someone who did not believe in God's existance and yet performed kind, caring, selfless deeds throughout their life?

For heaven to exist, it would have to be in a separate dimension. If this is so, what makes it so likely that we'll end up in THAT dimension, rather than all the other ones? How do we even know separate dimensions exist?

I can't rule out the possibility, but I see the existance of heaven to be unlikely. So I'll live my life the best I can, regardless. If there is some sort of eternal judgment, I'll hope that I've lived my life well. If not, what's the difference?

Do you see anything wrong with people believing in God?

It depends. If you believe in God ONLY because you've been told you should and you'll go to heaven for it, then I think that's wrong. If someone believes in God, shouldn't it be because they beleive He can guide them, and help them to be a better person? If you've never questioned God, but lived all yor life in blind faith, THEN there's a problem. Not questioning means you're not thinking--how do you know God is real? 'Because it's written in a book'? Books can lie. 'Because my preacher says so'? People can lie, too. 'Because I searched my heart to find what I think is true, and I want to live my life well with God to guide me'? Now I think THAT'S a worthy reason.

I don't think anyone should be looked down upon for their beliefs, however. People have a right to beleive what they wish.

I think believing in God is a great thing for some who have used God as an incentive to improve their own lives and the lives of those around them. To them, I say: Rock on. You're doing great.
Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. biggrin I really agree with you on my last question.  

GO-YAFFA

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces