Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Pro-Life flowers on the steps of the Supreme Court. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

divineseraph

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 pm
Orizion
I hate to be a pessimist, but even if the government made a law against abortion, people may still do it. People break the law everyday. Also, many people will be enraged towards the government for making such a law. Personally, I don't know why, but I know it's impossible to please everyone.

Another thought to consider: we are human beings, right? Not former-humans, nor waiting-to-be-human, etc. In other words, I think that feti are humans. Abortion not only kills a life, it is also painful for the mother (or so I've heard).

Breaking the law isn't a good reason to keep something legal- As you mentioned, people break laws all the time. Going on this premise, if we are to legalize laws people break anyway, what is to keep us from legalizing theft or murder? And if the reason is the risk in illegal abortion, there is risk in illegal theft and illegal murder.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:25 pm
Tarrou
IcarusDream
It's a sarcastic attack, but I still consider it true.

So if you think that the government shouldn't have a say in whether you do or do not own slaves, then am I correct in inferring that you believe that slavery is moral, or at least not evil?

It is permissible under God's law, at least, including the New Testament. If people object to it on other grounds, that's fine, but, biblically speaking, it's permissible as long as there is a respectable relationship between master and slave.  

IcarusDream

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:06 am
divineseraph

Assuming, of course,

That's the key. Surely you know what assuming stands for.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:52 am
Lady Kayura
divineseraph

Assuming, of course,

That's the key. Surely you know what assuming stands for.

So are you saying that feti are NOT personal property and are their own unique, indivisible entities? Make up your mind, please.  

divineseraph

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:33 pm
divineseraph
mazuac
Personally, I think Abortion is personal, and I don't think the government should be involved in a matter like this...

I think slave owning is personal, and the government shouldn't be involved in a matter like this...

See what I did thar?
I do, however, you totally switched around my words. I am not speaking of owning a person to do my chores, and when they don't do it, whipping them for their insolence, and I, claiming superiority of them... >_>

The government needs to be involved in issues when personal human beings can feel themselves being persecuted and killed. I do beleive that the Babies in the fetus are humans, but... You know, do they feel things like we do? I don't know, but I don't seem to remember or feel myself coming out of my mothers womb...

See what I did thar? >_>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:34 pm
Lady Kayura
divineseraph
I think slave owning is personal, and the government shouldn't be involved in a matter like this...

See what I did thar?

Yep. You are comparing two things that are not alike at all. So what's your point?
Agreed~ [Oh! And awesome avi! ^^]

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:35 am
mazuac
divineseraph
mazuac
Personally, I think Abortion is personal, and I don't think the government should be involved in a matter like this...

See what I did thar?
I do, however, you totally switched around my words. I am not speaking of owning a person to do my chores, and when they don't do it, whipping them for their insolence, and I, claiming superiority of them... >_>

The government needs to be involved in issues when personal human beings can feel themselves being persecuted and killed. I do beleive that the Babies in the fetus are humans, but... You know, do they feel things like we do? I don't know, but I don't seem to remember or feel myself coming out of my mothers womb...

See what I did thar? >_>

Human property is human property. There is a difference, but a slim one. In one case, human beings are being used to work since they aren't considered human. In the other, they are being killed because they aren't considered human.

The point is not that they can feel- Is feeling your subjugation all that matters? Then what protects people while they are in comas, or when they are asleep? If you fill a room with carbon monoxide, the sleeping person will never know. They will never knowingly be murdered and will never knowingly be harmed. Should the government step in here? And what if the government, or the society en masse, assumes that a type of person cannot feel? It was done with the black race with slavery, it was done with jews in germany, and it is done with feti today.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 am
Here's an idea: The Supreme Court would have no authority had it not been given to them by God.  

IcarusDream

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:03 pm
IcarusDream
Here's an idea: The Supreme Court would have no authority had it not been given to them by God.

Seriously?

That's just stupidity. I'm sorry, it's just wrong.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:23 pm
divineseraph
mazuac
divineseraph
mazuac

See what I did thar?

See what I did thar? >_>

Human property is human property. There is a difference, but a slim one. In one case, human beings are being used to work since they aren't considered human. In the other, they are being killed because they aren't considered human.

The point is not that they can feel- Is feeling your subjugation all that matters? Then what protects people while they are in comas, or when they are asleep? If you fill a room with carbon monoxide, the sleeping person will never know. They will never knowingly be murdered and will never knowingly be harmed. Should the government step in here? And what if the government, or the society en masse, assumes that a type of person cannot feel? It was done with the black race with slavery, it was done with jews in germany, and it is done with feti today.
Oh? A very valid point there~! ^^ I never realized that...

Anyways, as I said before, I don't think the government should be interfering in personal matters. I beleive it should be discouraging teenage pregnancies/abortions and spending more money on educating people of the effects and consequences of sex, and that condoms don't always work! But, there will always be the any people that will not listen to it...

Anyways, as for slavery, I could have sworn this was a thing about... abortion, not slavery?

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:22 pm
mazuac
divineseraph
mazuac
divineseraph
mazuac

See what I did thar?

See what I did thar? >_>

Oh? A very valid point there~! ^^ I never realized that...

Anyways, as I said before, I don't think the government should be interfering in personal matters. I beleive it should be discouraging teenage pregnancies/abortions and spending more money on educating people of the effects and consequences of sex, and that condoms don't always work! But, there will always be the any people that will not listen to it...

Anyways, as for slavery, I could have sworn this was a thing about... abortion, not slavery?

The government would be interfering with personal matters by illegalizing abortion no more than it interferes with personal matters by illegalizing theft or murder. It doesn't force an action, it removes a harmful option.

It is, but the justification was similar. The whole "It's not a person" and "It can't feel the way we do" reasoning came into play. Along with the "Well, it's not legally a person..." and "It's my property and my right!" arguments.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:06 am
divineseraph
Seriously?

That's just stupidity. I'm sorry, it's just wrong.

You have obviously not read the bible as much as I have...

It's just scripture: Romans 13:1 "There is no authority except from God."

Proverbs 8:15-16 "By me kings reign and rulers make laws that are just; by me princes govern, and all nobles who rule on earth."

Wisdom 6:2-3 "Hearken, you who are in power over the multitude and lord it over throngs of peoples! Because authority was given you by the LORD and sovereignty by the Most High, who shall probe your works and scrutinize your counsels!"

John 19:11 "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above."

1 Peter 2:13 "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men."

and perhaps Titus 3:1, but I can see how one might read the Greek differently.  

IcarusDream

Tarrou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:43 am
All well and good, but as far as the Republic is concerned, the Supreme Court's authority derives from the Constitution (and, oddly enough, itself), and therefore ultimately from the people. Whether it's power ultimately derives from God is, and must be, irrelevant.

I'm not even going to touch the biblical passages you've cited. To put it politely, I find them undemocratic.

Also: We're all going to be taking a trip to the debate forum within the day. Just so you know.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:19 pm
I don't care about biblical passages.  

divineseraph

IcarusDream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 pm
Tarrou
All well and good, but as far as the Republic is concerned, the Supreme Court's authority derives from the Constitution (and, oddly enough, itself), and therefore ultimately from the people.

Notice how you have to put "ultimately" after everything. This idea is only true in theory, and the true authority at any one time is still the Supreme Court. The people don't even control the Supreme Court. You might keep saying "ultimately" this or "ultimately" that, but that doesn't change the fact that even with a change of Congressman or president, the Supreme Court is basically controlled by death, which is the purview of God.
Quote:
Whether it's power ultimately derives from God is, and must be, irrelevant.

The first amendment doesn't regulate the State governments. And since I'm not Christian, I'm not going to listen to any Supreme Court mumbo jumbo about incorporation doctrine. It's wrong.

Quote:
I'm not even going to touch the biblical passages you've cited. To put it politely, I find them undemocratic.

Who said God loves democracy (actually, I bet Locke actually did say that)? He put a lot of kings in their seats as the bible tells it.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff