Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A very depressing time indeed Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Satan]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am
Grand Moff Locket
I want to have my body fed to insects, and then have my bones bleached in the sun, and made into a stool. Kind of expensive on the stool making part, but it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than any other method of disposal.
I'd hire a bunch of cannibals to eat my corpse and then have my bones shot out of a cannon ball into a random lake. How's that for originality?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:26 am
s0ul caper~
Grand Moff Locket
I want to have my body fed to insects, and then have my bones bleached in the sun, and made into a stool. Kind of expensive on the stool making part, but it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than any other method of disposal.
I'd hire a bunch of cannibals to eat my corpse and then have my bones shot out of a cannon ball into a random lake. How's that for originality?
Terrible. That's SO overdone *rolls eyes* xP  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Stonerose_Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:15 pm
I've always found the whole funeral home business to be a bit suspicious...

Anyway, the only "proper" funeral I've ever been to was for my nana (great grandmother). She was a devout Catholic and had an open casket (though I didn't go to that one). However, we went to the bit at the church - which was packed with old ladies - and the part I remember best about it was when my dad - who was kneeling in the pew next to me - reacted to the incense being raised over us like a vampire would react to holy water: **whispering** tsssss ahhh! I giggled. The priest gave us a look then continued. You see, she was my mom's grandmother.

I never knew her though I had been to visit her half a hundred times. I'm convinced she didn't know me either as I had to remind her every time we saw each other. She had alzheimers.

When I was living in Peru, my friend's abuelita died and more than a hundred people from the town attended her funeral. The burial itself was fairly solemn, though colorful, and there was music and dancing at the wake. Everyone told funny stories about her and laughed. You'd've thought we were celebrating her birthday or something. She was a sweet old lady, too.

In comparison, "proper" funerals are depressing. We mourn death instead of celebrating life as we should do.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:31 pm
Aw, I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I was really nervous before I went to my maternal grandfather's funeral. I hadn't gone to my paternal grandfather's funeral, because he lived too far away, so at least to me, the one funeral was kind of a goodbye to both.

Anyway, seeing the body was upsetting, but it wasn't as disturbing as I thought it might be. I didn't cry until they started to bury the coffin. :/  

pie_rat

[Satan]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:58 am
pie_rat
Aw, I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I was really nervous before I went to my maternal grandfather's funeral. I hadn't gone to my paternal grandfather's funeral, because he lived too far away, so at least to me, the one funeral was kind of a goodbye to both.

Anyway, seeing the body was upsetting, but it wasn't as disturbing as I thought it might be. I didn't cry until they started to bury the coffin. :/
Luckily, the burial of my grandpa won't be until October. Because he was a high ranking Navy (something sweatdrop ) he is getting a burial with a sixteen gun salute.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:13 pm
When i was younger my grandma died then my great grandma and granpa died. I went to thier funerals and i felt bad cause i wasn't crying. I'd sit in the pew while everybody cried and looked at them while they were praying. We do they pray for someone who is dead? My greatgrandma had an open casket and i wanted to go see her. I cried when my parents wouldn't let me.

Last year a close friend shot himself. He was native american so instead of having a funeral they had a celebration of life. I had to speak about him and looking at his mother without her only son made me cry. I finished the speach but after words I started crying. Then i got peeved when everyone asked if i was alright. your all like why? I like to keep feelings such as sadness to myself so it can manifest into something productive. Such as drawing...  

E_Night

Azaleya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:59 pm
I have trouble with funerals.
i can't help laughing.
Sorry, but i can't.
it's funny how they think they're going somewhere great when they're dead.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:53 pm
I've never been to a funeral before, and thus I can't say what it feels like.

For some reason I don't like the idea of funerals. When a person dies, people go to the funeral and mourn the loss.

Maybe I'm strange like this, but I think that it is better to remember what that person lived for, and instead of mourning the death, they should spend that time remembering when the person was alive.

So in that respect how can you do that if you go see the person in the coffin being lowered to the ground? I'd rather keep my memories inside my head and heart. Then, in a way the person never really dies.

So...I don't think I'll ever want to attend a funeral. I like to keep my feelings safe inside of me, and I have this strange fear that if I go to a funeral...all of those feelings will die.

I don't know why I feel that way but I do.

It sucks when someone around you close dies. Just remember him for what he lived for, and maybe that will make it easier to accept the loss.

Sanguvixen

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:09 pm
Whoah. This thread is like...a year old. eek  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:30 pm
Sanguvixen

For some reason I don't like the idea of funerals. When a person dies, people go to the funeral and mourn the loss.

Maybe I'm strange like this, but I think that it is better to remember what that person lived for, and instead of mourning the death, they should spend that time remembering when the person was alive.

So in that respect how can you do that if you go see the person in the coffin being lowered to the ground? I'd rather keep my memories inside my head and heart. Then, in a way the person never really dies.

So...I don't think I'll ever want to attend a funeral. I like to keep my feelings safe inside of me, and I have this strange fear that if I go to a funeral...all of those feelings will die.

It sucks when someone around you close dies. Just remember him for what he lived for, and maybe that will make it easier to accept the loss.

/sign
As such a response can best be put under current mental state  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:02 pm
addseale2
Sanguvixen

/sign

Meaning? I can't help it that my mind thinks in strange ways.

That is why I never do well talking to anyone around me at home, and even amongst my friends. For some reason I think a bit more deeply than most, and the ends up making people think I'm insane or something.

Death? What is death? It is when something living dies, or when something non-living ceases to exist.

We all mourn what is lost. Often we don't realize how important something is to us until we lose it. When it is not there, that is when it hits.

My own dog died 3 weeks back. He bit me badly, and went to another place to live. There a brain tumor we didn't know he had ruptured, and he was put to sleep.

It it took about 2 weeks for the loss to really hit me when I was adjusting to him not being there. At the same time it felt strange. The feeling is strange to accept that something you care about(even if you thought you didn't care) will no longer exist, or ceases to exist.

For some reason to me it goes against my logic to go to a procession that is designed for collective mourning. For some reason I think mourning should be left to the individual. Maybe I just don't know enough to understand it.

In any case it is tough to lose anything that is close to you, wether living or non-living. It you love it enough, even a piece of furniture that is old, ratty, and useless can tear at your heart if it were to be smashed against your will when you are away somewhere.

I wonder though, why do Humans have a need to mourn? It's a philsophical question really.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:30 pm
Sanguvixen
addseale2
Sanguvixen

/sign

That is why I never do well talking to anyone around me at home, and even amongst my friends. For some reason I think a bit more deeply than most, and the ends up making people think I'm insane or something.

Death? What is death? It is when something living dies, or when something non-living ceases to exist.

We all mourn what is lost. Often we don't realize how important something is to us until we lose it. When it is not there, that is when it hits.

My own dog died 3 weeks back. He bit me badly, and went to another place to live. There a brain tumor we didn't know he had ruptured, and he was put to sleep.

It it took about 2 weeks for the loss to really hit me when I was adjusting to him not being there. At the same time it felt strange. The feeling is strange to accept that something you care about(even if you thought you didn't care) will no longer exist, or ceases to exist.

For some reason to me it goes against my logic to go to a procession that is designed for collective mourning. For some reason I think mourning should be left to the individual. Maybe I just don't know enough to understand it.

In any case it is tough to lose anything that is close to you, wether living or non-living. It you love it enough, even a piece of furniture that is old, ratty, and useless can tear at your heart if it were to be smashed against your will when you are away somewhere.

I wonder though, why do Humans have a need to mourn? It's a philsophical question really.

Just... wow.

Did I ever mention that you make more sense than most anyone else I've ever spoken to?  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:59 pm
addseale2
Sanguvixen
addseale2
Sanguvixen

/sign

Just... wow.

Did I ever mention that you make more sense than most anyone else I've ever spoken to?

I don't know...have you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:09 pm
My grandad is dying at the moment. He woke up a few weeks ago and couldn't move. They took him into hospital, gave him pain killers, etc, then discharged him. My parents went to visit him today and he refused to get out of bed, only wanted to sleep and not wanting to eat at all. He didn't want them to stay with him.

My mum's been drinking heavily each night this week to try and cope with it, and has been shouting at me from the stress. Feeling guilty, I've been doing most of the housework for her, and my 13 year old sister hasn't been spending much time at home. It's caused an argument between my mum and her sister, my mum saying that her sister (my auntie) hasn't been helping out with her dad enough, even though she lives closer.

Strange how illnesses/deaths affect the whole family like this.

I feel bad because I'm not upset that he's on his last legs. I never really bonded with him, we didn't really get along because he was always grumpy and patronising and I was always trying to be helpful, which he resented because he likes to be independant.

My mum says that she'll be suprised if he lasts tonight.

Muaethia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:20 pm
Muaethia
My grandad is dying at the moment. He woke up a few weeks ago and couldn't move. They took him into hospital, gave him pain killers, etc, then discharged him. My parents went to visit him today and he refused to get out of bed, only wanted to sleep and not wanting to eat at all. He didn't want them to stay with him.

My mum's been drinking heavily each night this week to try and cope with it, and has been shouting at me from the stress. Feeling guilty, I've been doing most of the housework for her, and my 13 year old sister hasn't been spending much time at home. It's caused an argument between my mum and her sister, my mum saying that her sister (my auntie) hasn't been helping out with her dad enough, even though she lives closer.

Strange how illnesses/deaths affect the whole family like this.

I feel bad because I'm not upset that he's on his last legs. I never really bonded with him, we didn't really get along because he was always grumpy and patronising and I was always trying to be helpful, which he resented because he likes to be independant.

My mum says that she'll be suprised if he lasts tonight.

It is difficult to mourn for a person you are not close to. It is also equally difficult to feel upset that someone is about to die when you really don't care about them, or never got close.

When illness happens it causes a lot of stress. Your mother is going about the wrong way to deal with what she is feeling though.

Don't feel bad that you arn't upset. It is just natural not feel so upset when something fades that you are not close to.

I never really cared much for either the dog we had, or my uncle. When either died I never really felt much. I mean with the dog, two weeks pasted, and when I saw a picture of him on the refridgerator a felt a little twang of sadness. That was it though. There is nothing wrong with that.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff