ღ Jhin

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suhuba
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:53 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(Lines by The Only Black Uke, Color by Tasinei)

|| Stat Page ||
Updated: Jun/08/17
Experience || 55

Inventory
Weapons
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Simple Bow

Items
None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 am
Table of Contents

Table of Contents
Current Things
Jhin
History
Family/Friends/Foes
Beast Companions
Rps & Plots
Inventory & Photos
Reqs

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Currently

Jhin becomes official on October 12th!

Currently with his father on the road...

User ImageName:Jhin
Race: Wind
Orientation: ???
Personality: Amiable, Peculiar, Meticulous
Jhin is a very amiable spirit whose kindness and courtesy attracts many. He is soft spoken with a flair for offering advice and has quite the knack for always offering a helping hand for any type of situation – perks of being the middle cousin of twelve. His laugh is always contagious and he is known to be rather innocent so teasing him is often a fun hobby between his female cousins especially who enjoy watching him blush. ((One downside is that being so friendly makes one want to continuously ask for favors something which Jhin has yet to learn to say 'no' to. So often he'll be running around more for his family than himself.))

He is a bit peculiar though as he often can zone out in day dreams or find the most interesting twist on things. If someone looks towards a tree he could be seen talking to the thing. His respect and humble nature often leads to him talking to almost anything that he interacts with – whether it be a person, plant, or creature. He also is prone to listening to the wind as if he can hold a conversation with it – something that amuses the little ones, but at the same time makes the older members of his family raise a brow. The way he organizes things as well (everything has its own niche and strange category that may be erratic to them, but for him the set up makes sense) and often takes notes about almost everything seems odd to his often rowdy family. Even to them it seems strange how mellow he always tends to be even if someone is trying to pick a fight – rather he would tell a story to calm the situation than duke it out.

Because he does have a rather large family -of aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents- Jhin tends to make certain that when he does help he does it in a certain way. It may seem meticulous to others, but when he does something the boy has a system and strategy for everything. Even his collection of rocks and other precious objects are organized in a certain fashion so that if a certain younger cousin decides to browse through he’ll realize they’ve been touched. Other than that he has a ‘mother’s touch’ in a sense as he makes certain that any food preparation is done with outmost care and also when he crafts arrows and other objects for his family members Jhin makes certain that they are almost if not perfect. His own arrows are his pride and joy as he crafts them himself for the practice bow that his father left him.

History:
Jhin was born to a pair of nomadic hunters – his father especially had a rather large family with his own two siblings and four half-siblings. In fact when he married the love of his life the man took her into his own home where his family acted mostly as their own little village of sorts. Jhin’s aunts and uncles all had their own relationships -save for his Aunt Tyka- while several already had children, Jhin was born in the middle of the fall festivals. While his mother struggled and many feared that the baby was to be lost the next morning welcomed a tiny babe. Everyone welcomed the little baby into the world while his mother, a delicate wind woman, especially cherished him. She had already lost children to miscarriages, but having one finally that was alive and mostly well – at first he frightened them with bad health and pale eyes, but as he grew up the youngling started to prove that despite being a runt compared to his stockier cousins that he was in fact going to be well.

So Jhin was showered in his mother’s love. Unfortunately for him, the boy didn’t realize that it appeared that his mother’s vast amount of prayers and time spent healing him as a baby had worn out the woman. Her energy mostly depleted -as she already had frail health- the woman quickly became bed ridden after an accident hunting. Since her leg never fully healed a cane was crafted for her by her husband, an artisan who was known for his delicate details in the craft of carving. In his own way Jhin also returned his mother’s love and often would work as her right hand – helping to prepare meals for the whole family when they returned from a hunt or trade, cleaning around their home, gathering herbs, and tending to the younger cousins who were left in his mother’s care while the rest were out trading or hunting. He was never bitter about not having as much time to play with his cousins and rather spent the days with a smile since he felt that spending time with his mother was much worth it.

But the days when Jhin’s father stopped going out to trades and rather would stay home marked a change. The young apprentice would lean against the backside of a tree to listen as the adults spoke of their worries – seasons changing, her cough was getting worse, how would his father and the son handle things? Yilay was going to die….even his father, Biao, knew that. It was a sad truth, but one that they all accepted. In those last few weeks together both Jhin and Biao pampered Yilay with love and she would often hold them with a brave smile before crying herself to sleep at night. Only her husband could see those tears as he would lay there holding her in his arms while Jhin sat outside just listening to the soft murmurs and the rare sobs that escaped…

Her last words were encouragement for a bright future along with how proud she was of him and that she would always cherish him. May her spirit watch over him and that he would prosper and find comfort in the family that was left to him. Jhin repeated those words that it would be alright and that this was a part of life – death took all in the end- as he watched his mother’s body being carried down the hill and towards the groove of trees where other family members rested. Bowing his head the young boy just wiped his eyes before forcing a small smile on his lips. For her he would live a happy life and always give a smile to the world…

His father, haunted by the memories of his wife, opted to take the longer trading routes as he would take the goods created by his siblings and nieces and nephews throughout the other countries. Travel he claimed could keep his mind busy while his heart sought heal from the loss of his beloved. Biao offered to take Jhin and once or twice Jhin would tag along, but in the end he would often just opt to stay behind with his Aunt Tyka who became a second mother to him.

Even now the apprentice will keep a brilliant smile on his face as he stood up to take his mother’s place in helping watch the little ones and to keep up with his family back at home in Sauti. The one thing that did differ was that once Tyka took more care of him and he became more involved with her the woman did teach him how to shoot an arrow – something that Jhin found oddly relaxing. So once his father came back with a training bow the apprentice eagerly took it and made certain to learn how to make his own arrows so that he could grow quickly and learn how to shoot a target perfectly - while balancing the bustle of family life of course.

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:03 pm
Family

Friends/Foes

Familiars

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

RPS & Plots

Stage 1:
[WE Creepy] (Meeting Taka for the first time = Captures a perzi and wins a bet for the alkidike to dye her hair?)

Caravan Security (Meeting a lancer and quiet travels...)

Battles
[Fighting Serana!] - Outcome = Jhin fails hardcore

Inventory/Photos

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:06 pm
REQS

Prentice Growth Form

Character Name: Jhin
Class Promotion: Archer (Ranger)
Current Location: Sauti
Journal: Journal
RP Growth Point Links:
25/25
[WE Creepy Crawlers] (5 pnts)
Caravan Security (5pnts)
Meta VP (5 pnts)
Unknown Pasts (5 pnts)
Class Affinity/Choice Solo:
[Ranger - 5 pnts]
Class Quest Solo: Making a decision
Items:

Change of Clothes x 2, Gloves, Dyes x 6, Comb, Niribii Root, Bag, Metal Bands x 6, Belts x 2, Shoes (optional - prefer bare foot), Fetish x 4, Cloak, Gorogorum Scale x 2, Sash, Sewing Kit x 2, Piercing Kit, Pelt (feel free to add / charge me for anything extra)

Inspirations for Outfit / Design: (Just something that makes him look like a person living in the woods / guard (ranger) of the forest type)
[Ex1] , [ex2],[ex3], and [ex4]

*Definitely want arm guards for him as an archer and most of his colors will be rich greens, matched with teals / gold accents / brown?

((Gemstone wise if you want to add any in places that were not visible during his apprentice stage feel free. <3 ))

Hairstyle: [Ex1] Something similar to this as inspiration (still poofy / curly like in his apprentice stage but longer basically and without the bun - CC on exact design)
-Feel free to add in feathers and etc -
Simple Bow
+ Dyes / Etching Nail : Give it a light wood (maybe oak?) color with vines engraved into it (CC on exact designs + colors) Green wrapping too?
Body Type: Working towards this - [x]
Preferred Artists: Uke, Miss, or Kana [whoever wants him really <3 ]
(Colors: Tasi, Kana, Fee, or Jay)
WIPs: Sure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:57 am
➳ Solo 1 : Unknown Pasts ➳

It definitely was a bustling day. Jhin found himself carrying bundles all across the encampment. One cousin would want soaps for bathing her younglings so he would have to trek towards the further end of the camp where his aunts made their floral soaps and medicines. Then another cousin on the way back to the first would ask him if he had seen his cousin, Tyros, who she wanted to get some jerky from since she was planning on going on a trip soon. After that exchange another cousin would want him to help pin some dresses that she was creating while another would want his opinion on a new hunting style. Some younglings would grab at his legs for a free piggyback ride while a smaller girl would be crying and needing him to assure her that yes the sky was fine and not broken because some clouds covered the sun. Eventually Jhin would find his way back towards his aunt tent where he found himself pausing.

Voices in there?

Was his father back already? His forehead creased into a frown. His father was back early then it seemed. Was it because Jhin hadn’t decided to tag along on this trip? After the grand market the boy had opted to stay home instead within their family settlement to help out with his cousins. Which in its own way was refreshing considering how stale he found trading and merchant talk. He would much rather be bounced back and forth between his cousins all day than spending even a couple hours bargaining or figuring out the best prices or places for goods. So perhaps time had just quickly passed on this trip while had Jhin been on it the boy would have felt that it had been years since leaving home.

“Tyka! You can’t keep encouraging him to stay here and not come with me.”

“Why not brother?”

Jhin’s gaze widened as the loud words suddenly erupted from the tent. Were they truly fighting about him? Crouching the boy inched closer so that he could hear better. Was his father at this again? Every time that Jhin didn’t go with him lately it seemed that his father came back in a tizzy. Always against his aunt as well. He hated how she was a loner compared to most and didn’t pick up trading. All she did was survive here on the edge of the encampment with only the woods as her habitat. It was better, his father had once said, than before.

Before Jhin was born Tyka had lived deep within the forests between Sauti and Tale. Apparently she had lived as a wild woman that preferred speaking to beasts than humans. She also had been known as a guardian against those who may have mistreated the forests. A ranger of sorts to help those in need and protect the weak. It had been her true calling, she insisted to her family. She was meant to protect the woods and she would do so.

That was before her favorite sister, Jhin’s mother, was announced to be sickly and pregnant. It was when Jhin was born that the woman remerged from the woods to visit her nephew. A rare sight, but a touching one for the sisters who had been reunited. If anyone mattered more than the forest to Tyka then it was her twin sister who she cherished. She had of course disappeared back into the forests a few months after Jhin was born, but still she would come and visit every other moon to check in on her sibling and nephew. She wished the best for them both and honestly whispers often came around that Tyka had used some strange forest magic to keep her nephew alive and well when honestly he was thought to have been too frail to make it past his first year.

When his mother lost her ability to walk properly it was Tyka who set her leg and helped her to adjust to using a cane. And when his mother passed, well it was Tyka who sat there through days of rain alongside of his father and himself to mourn with them. It was like losing her other half they said. Jhin’s hands reached up to touch his own heart. Was that what had happened to him as well? He was his mother’s clone after all, save for his strange pale eyes, the boy looked mostly like the sisters. He even had a knack for the bow as well – something else that worried his father.

“I don’t want you taking my son from me! Do you think his mother would want that?”

Jhin’s mind stopped wandering and his attention went back to the discussion within the tent.

“Biao, I would not take your son from you. I’m simply here to watch over him in place of my sister.”

“I know you – you’ve been here far too long. You basically just came and settled in as soon as my wife passed away! You even taught him to shoot and continued to do so despite my plea to let me teach him the way of a merchant first!”

“What’s wrong with that? Last time I checked even you used the bow at one point, Biao Dyre. Everyone in this family of yours has some knack for hunting – how else could you have survived as nomads all these years? Even you gave him the practice bow he cherished.”

“That was before we picked up trade and he was young. I hoped it would be something to help ease his pain after we lost Yilay. I did not mean for him to become so dedicated to the craft.” Jhin could hear the frustration in his father’s voice and could even begin to imagine how the man must be pacing right now with his hands clenched at his side, “I want Jhin to learn to continue to trade so he’ll be safe and have a secured income. What are you hoping for him? To become wild like you so you can go back to the forests?’

“Now, Biao. I am simply here to wait and see how Jhin matures. I would never force my own ideals on him.”

“No, but you definitely would help to open up the path.”

“Biao, please.”

“No Tyka I’m serious! Next time I will be asking Jhin to go with me on a trading mission and I will not want him to come back for a long while! Hopefully by then you will realize that he is my son and not one to follow in your footsteps alone.”

“You wish for me to leave then?”

A long drawn out sigh, “Yes, yes I do.” Jhin heard the crack in his father’s voice, “I was happy to have Yilay’s sister around, even looking at you eased my pain for a bit. Now though it’s time that I move on with my son. We need to press towards the future. Your path is back in the forests, I won’t have you living here in my family any longer.”

“Biao.” Tyka was quiet for a long time, “I understand then. But you must also understand something else – Jhin is his own spirit. If he decides something else you must allow him to do so.”

“Jhin is my son.”

“Son or not even I know you wish for his happiness above all else.”

“Which is why I push for him to follow my path, not yours.”

“Was my path truly so bad? First Yilay left it for you and now you are even pushing me away for it.” Tyka made a strange sound, a mix of a laugh and sorrow. “She was fine in the forests you know. We both were mighty rangers until you came and wooed her. Though at first I was the one who had caught your attention, Biao. You could not tame me so instead you fell for the sister who tended to you when you were in need. If only we had known, right? Some nights I wish that I had kept you in that forest with me rather than you taking my sister away from it. Leaving the heart of the woods killed her, Biao!”

Such a declaration made Jhin inhale sharply. What was this?! His mother and her sister were like that with his father? Both of them? Tyka could have if things been different been his mother and his mother was not and oh spirits. He definitely had a lot to think on. But at the thought his gaze rose from where he peeked inside and he noticed that another gaze was already on him. His aunt. Taking a deep breath Jhin shook his head at her and slowly back away. At least his father’s back had been turned away from him. But his aunt had seen him so she knew that he now knew something was up. It seemed that there was a lot more to his parent’s past and his aunt’s that he never knew before.

He would return later when his father was gone and would talk to his aunt then.

[1523]

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 pm
➳ Solo 2 : Picking up the Bow ➳

It was only a few hours later that Jhin found himself running through the crystal like grasses that marked the border of Tale and Sauti. While most of his family preferred to settle in the smaller valley that nestled beneath two of the lesser known mountains of Sauti his one aunt had nestled further away. She was close enough that only an hour’s walk could get the boy to her home, but she was still far enough away that she could hear the natural sounds of the lands around them. What Jhin had never thought of before was how close his aunt was to the one area that led towards a forest that twisted and turned eventually into the borders of Tale.

He had just been there earlier in the day, but his father’s presence had forced him to backtrack towards the main settlement. He wanted others to know that he had been about helping with chores and anything else that his cousins needed. The last thing Jhin wanted was for his father to ever be suspicious that he had been there to witness the argument that bloomed between brother and sister-in-law. But at the same time the last thing the boy wanted was for his father to get away with hiding the truth of the past. What had his mother been and why was his father so worried about his aunt’s role in his own life?

“If you keep pacing around the outside of my tent you’ll burn a hole into the ground, Jhin.” His aunt’s voice rang out sharply through the air, “Come on in, Biao is gone.”

Freezing Jhin had a sheepish smile as he slowly turned and peered into the entryway, “So how long were you watching me walk?”

“Depends, how long did you listen to me earlier?”

The boy’s face flushed, “Touche.” Sighing Jhin bent his head and entered the tent. As he came in he saw his aunt sitting cross legged on one of her sitting pillows. Before her was a low table of ebony wood with tea that was freshly brewed and steaming, “Sit, nephew.” She motioned a hand towards the lavender pillow that was before him, “I feel like you have a lot to talk about.”

“I do.” Jhin took a breath before slowly sinking onto the pillow, “I know I should have not listened earlier, aunt. For that I apologize, but it was too fascinating.” He shook his head, “That and I always am fearful of when my father is angry. His words were loud and sharp – I felt like if I stepped forward I would have been pierced with a few of them myself. You truly are strong to handle him without flinching.”

Tyka laughed as she reached forward to wrap her slender fingers around one of the earthen cups, “You tryin’ to flatter me before I can get after you for eavesdropping? Smart boy.” Her mouth moved upwards in amusement, a few wrinkles of age deepening her tanned face. But the amusement did not fully reach the gaze. Jhin saw that even despite her laughter and light words that her gaze held hints of sorrow. Talking about his mother often did that to the woman and it made his own gut clench. After all he shared that same sorrow – he truly had loved his mother as well.

“Aunt Tyka.” Jhin paused as he too reached for the cup of tea. Flower petals and berries – it was his mother’s favorite brew that had such a strange amber hue to it. Another reminder that they both had held onto throughout the years, “Perhaps in the past I should have not known about some things, but shouldn’t it be time for me to learn more? I know father would never bend and tell me, but you can. I’ve already heard some of it from before so what’s the harm?”

“Jhin.” The woman raised her tea and took a long slow sip, “Your father has his right to be worried. At one time I never would dare to reveal something that he worked so hard to hide, but I know that you are not one to make a rash decision. Even if I stayed silent now you would still follow your heart, would you not?”

Jhin pursed his lips thoughtfully, “I suppose so. If it’s the merchant’s life that you are speaking of then yes – I doubt I can follow true to that.” The boy smiled wearily, “That’s another reason he probably came to speak to you this morning. I refused to go out on a month long trip in favor of spending more time here with everyone else.”

Tyka quirked an eyebrow, “Really? In favor of staying here to be worked as a slave by your cousins?”

“Okay maybe that was not the full reasoning.” Jhin’s cheeks flushed, “I would prefer to have some more time out here with you rather than learning numbers and how to check on our supplies and what is best to trade in every city.”

“I figured.” Tyka leaned forward to study him, “You are just like your mother, you know.”

“What do you mean?” His gaze narrowed as he concentrated on his aunt’s face, “Are you finally going to tell me more than she looks like me?”

“I suppose I can.” Tyka smiled softly as she twisted the cup in her hands, “But you have to promise me that you will make a decision soon.”

“A decision?”

“Mmhmm. One about your future which I’m sure you already know the answer to.” She glanced up at him, her blue gaze darker than before as she studied him. “You’ve just been too afraid to approach it with your father or anyone else for that matter. You hate change, it’s why you’ve been staying to help your family like always even when some grow older and begin families of their own. You instead just step up to take care of their children as your mother once did.”

“That’s not…completely true.”

“Mmhmm. Anyways sit and listen so I can tell you a story.” Tyka placed her cup down and stared as the tealeaves floated around in the shimmering liquid, “Two sisters used to live in the forests that bordered Tale and Sauti. It was in those forests that they trained under their mother, a woman that had she been born an Alkidike would have fit in perfectly with those warriors. Her duty was to honor the trees around her and to protect that sanctuary that the forests provided to those who resided there.”

Jhin found himself leaning forward as his aunt continued speaking, “It was a border after all and the people appreciated having a ranger who could not only lead travelers through its darker paths, but also protect those leaving on either side from anyone wishing ill upon the innocent. Yarah was here name and she was a deadly shot. She lived wildly and freely – only taking offerings from those who asked for safe passage and for those who asked for her aid in protecting their homes. At one point she was not alone – several rangers lived in the forests with her. When I was growing up there along with my sister our mother, Yarah, taught us everything that she knew. We even saw other rangers as at least three others lived in the woods near us. It was a hard life though and even they began to flicker away as the countries began to open up more and less war meant less reason to guard any boundaries.”

“So what happened?” Jhin frowned, “Did everyone leave because there was peace?”

“Yes and no.” Tyka chuckled, “Patience boy. Some drifted because love caught their attention while others passed in the wars or simply faded away with time. Soon enough even I was old enough to call myself a ranger and both your mother and I picked up our own bows. It was when we were known as guardians of the forest that your father wandered into our territory. I will spare you from the romance as I know it may disturb you, but he saw me on a hunt. Not only did I catch a fine meal that day, but I also saved his life from the beasts he didn’t know how to deal with. Needless to say after I pinned him down and saw he knew little to nothing about fighting I realized that he was truly just a merchant. One who later would become a thorn in my side in his attempts to woo me. What he didn’t realize was that I had a sister – a twin who was identical to me even to the tiny shard of gemstones that decorate our faces. The same that decorate your own.” She poked towards Jhin’s face with a smile, “While I did not wish to leave the forests and had a much rougher spirit Yilay was gentle like our favorite meadow flowers. Biao got injured trying to protect me from danger and when she tended to him for the next week they found that they could bloom a love that was impossible for your father and I.”

“My mother and father…fell in love then?” Jhin frowned as he stared into his tea. It was a strange story and one he had not expected, “But why not you and father? If he was so stuck on you what changed his mind?”

“My wild spirit couldn’t be tamed.” The woman shrugged, “Honestly, if you want to know the truth Yilay loved him so much that I couldn’t bear to take him away. So I bowed out and became even more savage towards him.”

“Ah.” Jhin’s gaze sought out his aunt’s own. She seemed so torn just then and his gut knotted at the realization. She had sacrificed so much for her sister just to let her come here and die? “You did it for her happiness and I’m sure she loved you dearly for it.” He whispered, “You did what was best for them.”

“I know. Don’t try to comfort me, boy.” Tyka snapped as she placed her cup down, “She’s the one who decided to get all weak kneed on me and risk her life by leaving our forest. I don’t understand how love can be such a powerful thing, but at least it allowed me to meet you.” Her voice softened as she glanced at her nephew, “But I have to wonder – will love keep you away from the forest as well?”

“What do you mean, Tyka?”

“It’s a question of your future. The very reason your father wishes to chase me off is because he worries that you’ll go back to your mother’s home. Our rightful home.”

“Rightful home?”

“Aye, the forest. You love the bow, don’t you?”

“I do.”

“You want to learn more about it? Or do you wish to drop it to become a peddler like him?” She almost spat out the words, but Jhin could see that she was studying him – waiting for his own reaction.

And for the longest time he just sat there silently. He loved his family, he truly did. So why wasn’t he becoming the merchant that his father wanted him to become? What about the merchant life made his whole body feel numb and empty? His fingers rubbed against each other thoughtfully as if he were holding an arrow. Ever since he was young he had always watched his mother firing her bow and then after she passed he had joined his aunt in shooting. The feeling of just running and darting about while shooting towards targets had filled him with such an energy. Despite his father’s best wishes how could he deny that? “How can I tell father?” He finally asked as he glanced back up to his aunt.

“You know the truth then, Jhin.”

“I do.” Jhin let out a soft sigh, “But it doesn’t make it any easier for me to admit.”

“I know.” Tyka’s smile was genuine as she reached across the table to touch his hands, “But I am here for you, Jhin. When you pick up that bow I will be waiting for you in the forest. I promised Baio that I would not steal you away, but I never promised to deny you should you wish to come and visit my true home.”

“Thank you, Tyka.” Jhin offered a small smile as he stood, “Let me take more time with father and then I’ll see what happens.” He would leave his aunt and ponder over things but he already knew. The bow had always called to him and always would. He refused to deny something that he shared with his mother as well. The only problem was how did he approach his father about wishing to one day become the ranger that his blood knew he was?

That in itself was the toughest question of all, but Jhin was determined to figure it out.

[2161]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm
➳ Growth Solo: Firing the first Shot ➳

"In this solo Jhin faces the fact that his life does need to change. No longer can he stay in the comforts of his home and no longer can he continue doing his 'motherly' duties for his extended family. While at first he tries to hide from his calling to become a ranger the boy's actions to save his father's life from a bandit forces him to make his decision. He will take up the bow and leave home to go training with his aunt in the forests.

To chose something that goes against his father's wishes proves that he is becoming bold and that he does have his own desires. It's a hard choice for someone so used to hiding his own interests in favor of being a dutiful son, but one that is necessary for him to become the person that he is destined to be."

He was leaving.

Jhin stared out across the small settlement where his family resided. He had so many cousins and aunts and uncles who continued to make the small valley a busy place. Even during bad storms, they all stayed in the same long house together that was nestled under the cliff edge near where the small natural spring ran. This place had been his home his entire life. Despite leaving to go on trips with his father the boy had always known that at the end of the trip he would come back here and fall asleep in the tent that he shared with his father. Could he really leave this place and find a new home?

Could his cousins manage without him even?

And what about his father? The man did travel constantly, but that didn’t mean that Jhin felt right about not being there for him when he came home finally. Honestly his father had wanted him by his side as well. Why didn’t he do that?

Because his father didn’t want him to have the bow. Jhin clutched at the weapon in his hands. It was of a light wood, hand engraved with golden vines and flowers by his mother, with a firm cord for firing arrows. It was his most precious item. But was it more precious than his family and his father’s approval?

Yes.

The thought made the boy blink. Had that truly been his own thought? He was so afraid of change that he had refused to approach his father about his own desires for years now. Had one talk with his aunt truly changed so much? “I know more about you now, mother.” And he wanted to learn even more about her. She had been so quiet about her past while alive and once she had passed away the thought of her had been too hard to bear for his family so they had avoided it. No more. Jhin shook his head as he finally brushed off his pants and went in search of his father.

“Father?” Jhin peered through the flap of one of the caravan wagons, “Are you here?”

Biao, his arms full of cloth, turned to face his son. “Yes, what is it?” He reached the materials over to Jhin, “Hold these for a second first.” That done he began to shuffle through the supplies, “We have a lot of packing to do before this next trip and we are running low on time. Can you place those in that box and hand me some of your cousin, Umi’s beads? She wanted to sell necklaces at the village in Oba since the ladies enjoy jewelry.”

“But father-“ Jhin began placing the things in their proper places, “can we talk?”

“Afterwards – I really need to do this Jhin. I truly appreciate the help.”

“Uh, sure.” Sighing the boy found himself busied for the whole afternoon. By the time it actually came to talking his father had already sat down for the night with a drink in hand, “Father?”

“Hmm?”

“You know I was thinking –“

“Oh?” His father smiled, “Sorry it’s just right now I’m so tired, but so happy to have worked all day with you. It’s been a while since I’ve been home long enough to do that. You’re a natural you know at handling things and working with others. It’ll be great having you travel with me to Jahaur.”

“Ah.” Jhin suddenly lost his voice and simply nodded, “I suppose so.”

“Defintely.” Biao grinned as he took a drink, “I’m sure your mother would be happy to see what a wonderful man you are becoming. I’m just thankful that I can offer you a safe and secure future. So what was it that you wanted to talk about?”

Jhin swallowed and was quiet for a while before slowly shaking his head, “It was nothing father. I just wanted to see if we were ready to leave in the morning that’s all.”

“Oh? Then you should know the answer to that. We should be fine now that I’ve had your help packing and preparing our trade lists.”

“That’s…good.” Standing slowly Jhin nodded towards his father, “Have a good night.”

“You as well, son.”

As his back turned from the man the boy’s fists clenched and his heart knotted. How could he possibly dare to bring up his desires to his father who relied on him so much? Everyone constantly needed his help here at home so why did he even let his aunt tempt him with such thoughts? It was futile – he couldn’t turn his back on his family like that. But why did his heart ache at the thought? It was frustrating but he forced himself to smile and the next morning was prepared and ready to travel with his father.

He could continue this a little longer, right? He didn’t have to leave just yet. Or maybe he would find out something on this trip to make him truly change his mind completely about becoming a ranger. Surely that was a possibility! Such thoughts continued to drive him as he stayed with his father and prepared the caravans. Soon days turned into weeks and they found themselves heading into Jahaur and then as trades closed they turned to head back towards home.

But one day things were different. The road was a little more empty and things far too quiet. Bandits. Jhin’s expression darkened as arrows began raining down on the caravan, “Father!” The boy jumped from his seat so that he could try and find Biao. Others were running and preparing for a fight as well. Fight? Fighting! The realization that he could and should fight quickly crossed the boy’s mind and he rushed to find his bow. He had brought it despite everything and it was here! Could he get it in time? Fighting was still continuing outside and he even saw someone falling backwards with blood pouring from a gash in their arm. The bandits were not letting them pass so easily!

Gritting his teeth, Jhin finally grabbed his bow. There! Setting an arrow the boy turned and fired one towards a shifter. Why did they have to attack his family’s caravan?! Even worse was that they were actually traveling with another group – one that was more prepared. One that also probably had brought the bandits in the first place since they traveled with more flare than his father’s wagons.

Cursing, the boy twisted through those moving around him. Where was his father? “Father!” Jhin called out before something caught the corner of his gaze. His father was trying to escape from someone! Heart racing the boy reached for another arrow. Could he do this? Was this really up to him? If he didn’t act then he would be an orphan! Mother may your hands guide mine. His gaze flashed with determination as he knitched and fired an arrow. That arrow flew true and straight into the bandit’s

Jumping down from the wagon, Jhin rushed to his father as the others chased the attackers off. “Are you okay?” He supported his father and helped him towards the wagon. His hand was steady as he assisted him to sit down, “Seems like the danger is over.”

“Yeah.” His father winced in pain as he settled, “But even worse is that should have never happened in the first place, I knew travelling with Coan’s band was a bad idea.”

“At least they have fighters prepared.”

“Ah, but still.” His father shook his head, “By the way was that you?”

“Me what?”

“That fired that arrow to save me?”

Jhin’s cheeks flushed, “Yes it was. I’m sorry, but I kept mother’s bow even though I know you didn’t want me to. Thankfully I did else I may not have a father right now.” He replied quietly, his gaze seeking his father’s own.

“I see that.” Biao frowned, his gaze thoughtful. “I suppose I can’t get upset at you for that.”

“No you can’t.” Jhin smiled, “But you may get upset at what I’m thinking now.”

“Jhin?” His father glanced up, his expression even more worried. “Please don’t tell me that one arrow is going to convince you –“

“Father I was already convinced.” Jhin sat down next to the man and let his feet dangle from the wagon, “I knew a long time ago that I wanted to be like my mother – before she met you. I am her copy after all. Is that not what everyone says?”

“Jhin…”

“Let me speak.” The boy smiled and placed a hand on his father’s shoulder, “I’ve been here for years just drifting with you. I’ve stayed behind to tend to my cousins and to take over the motherly role my mother provided the family. I wanted to see you all happy and I still do.” He let out a soft sigh, “But that’s not all that I am. Father should I not become a man now? Being a merchant isn’t for me – we both know that. By the spirits if I did your job then half the supplies would be sold to those in need that just offer me a stick or something. I’m too kind like that.”

“That’s true.” His father forced a laugh, but tears were in his eyes. “Your aunt has talked to you then?”

“Aye, but not to convince me. I came to her first about this. I want to train with her in the forest where she lived with mother. I want to see that part of my family, father. I want to meet Yarah and learn to read the forest and beasts living there.” Jhin closed his eyes, “But I have also decided to not be completely like my mother’s family. I want to continue traveling and protecting those I love so I’m going to find a way to get that compromise. I will visit and I will go with you when you need me for I am still your dutiful son, but I am not going to sit at home taking care of my cousins and their children. I will be in the forests bordering Tale leading those in need through the forest paths and stopping those with ill intent from harming the innocents – just as I protected you with my arrow today. There will be others who need that same protection.”

“Jhin.” His father turned so that he could place his hands on the boy’s shoulders, “You are just like your mother. Honestly, if it had not been for my pleas the woman would have stayed in that forest with her family. I suppose losing her early on was my punishment for stealing such a precious flower from that place.” He tried to force a laugh, but it was choked. “Now it’s taking back my reminder of her as well.”

“Not forever, father.” Jhin shook his head, “I will be around, but as I said before I can’t stay home forever nor am I fit to take over your caravans. This is the life that I am meant for.” He held the bow up towards the older man, “Mother left this to me for a reason.”

“I know.” His father’s gaze lowered, “But it does not make me feel any better to admit it.” He took a deep breath, “Yet it does mean that I cannot ignore it any longer. This is truly what you want and I cannot dare to take another from their rightful place. I lost your mother by my selfishness and now I hope that I can be selfish enough to see my son prosper.” He smiled, “Though you do have to promise that you will find that compromise.”

“I know.” Jhin smiled though his heart was full of mixed feelings, “I won’t let you down and I’ll make certain that I will be able to find you when you need me. Isn’t that what a ranger does after all? We find those in need and help guide them to a safer path?”

His father shook his head, “I suppose that is what you do.”

“I wish I could say I’m sorry and that I don’t want this father but that would be a lie.”

“I know son, I know.” Biao leaned back as the wagons began to move once more, “If there’s one thing I know about you – you’re always honest when it comes down to it and I expect nothing less.”

“Thank you father.”

“No, thank you.” His father sighed, “I needed to face this a long time ago – I’m no fool you know. I just wished that I could keep you a bit longer. At least we get to have this one last trip before you go. I know your aunt has left already, but I can take you to the forest when we get home.”

“Father…”

“Don’t worry. I’m not as feeble as I look. I can survive.” Biao smiled towards his son, “Yilay may have pampered me, but she did not marry a weakling. I’ll survive on my own and in the future we’ll have to meet up some more so I can hear about how the forest life treats you. If your aunt makes it too hard though know you always have a home with me, son.”

Jhin smiled through the tears, “Of course, father.”

And so they traveled. When they would get back to Sauti Jhin would then say his farewells and prepare to head towards the forest where his aunt awaited him, where his future training towards becoming a ranger would truly begin.

(2265)

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

◈ Journals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas