Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Legend of Zelda Hangout ~ TLoZH

Back to Guilds

Fun for every Legend of Zelda Fan, both veteran and new, for over eight years~ 

Tags: legend of zelda, link, zelda, triforce, nintendo 

Reply The Latest in Gaming (Previews and News)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS - UPDATED 6/23 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who do you want to see as a newcomer? (With Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager)
  Ghirahim
  Groose
  Midna and/or Wolf Link
  Vaati
  Demise
  Shadow and/or Knuckles (Sonic)
  Ridley (Metroid)
  Some other Fire Emblem character (tell us specifically?)
  King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
  Other (tell us!!!!!)
View Results

Akeyami
Vice Captain

Interesting Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS
Release Dates: Spring 2014
Platform: Multi (Wii U; Nintendo 3DS)
Developer: Project Sora (Publisher: Nintendo); Director: Masahiro Sakurai
Genre: Fighting (Single + Multiplayer)

****Accidentally deleted first wanted newcomer poll. Oh well. New one is more relevant!! Vote again!

6/23
Update: Not all characters from past installments of Smash Bros. will be returning for this one.
No confirmations yet on just who isn't going to be making the cut, but several speculations are already flying around.

6/15
New information from our E3 thread!

Find the first official (EPIC!) trailer here!!

First of all, the new title is going to be released on both the 3DS and the Wii U; each will have all of the same characters, but the stages you can choose from will be different. The stages for the 3DS version, for example, will be largely based on that of handheld games; home console game-themed stages will be reserved for the Wii U. The Wii U version seems to be formatted very closely to what we're already used to; a single/multiplayer platform melee free-for-all. I assume there will be some sort of story mode but we have not been given any hints as to that yet. The 3DS version will be relatively unique in its multiplayer capabilities; each person would play on their own 3DS, which means everyone gets their own screens and I assume it will mean that people can play with each other via the 3DS network, StreetPass, etc.

For full details on the still-developing gameplay, mechanics and other aspects of both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros., please find the full Developer's Direct video from game director Masahiro Sakurai here! Notice that Sakurai-san is controlling ALL of the characters and combat featured in the video while he is talking - AMAZING!

Let's move on to the exciting new character announcements!

The trailer gives away the first newcomer right at the very start - believe it or not, Villager from Animal Crossing will be a playable character! As Animal Crossing is a game that focuses on collecting items, Villager uses lots of items in his fighting tactics, everything from shovels to saplings to bowling balls. He's *cough* already become quite the menacing figure in the eyes of many...with a constant smile on his face, he never seems reluctant to smack down his enemies!

Secondly, a subsequent trailer gave fans of Mega Man a long overdue treat - Mega Man is the next newcomer on our list! Whether Nintendo had to hold Capcom at gunpoint to make this happen, I have no idea - but what I do know is that it already seems as though Mega Man will be a formidable addition to the pack! His character will come with a large range of weaponry, including that of past bosses from the Mega Man franchise that he has defeated and acquired (apparently). For the super epic trailer that features him as a newcomer, please go here! Might I also add that the trailer features a GORGEOUSLY rendered Link, do enjoy xD

The last known newcomer is probably the most unexpected addition you could imagine. The Wii Fit Trainer is the newest playable character in Smash Bros! Yeah, I know, I really couldn't believe it either, but so far it seems as though she'd be a pretty fun addition! Her moves are based mostly on exaggerated fitness routines and workout poses, and her final smash is something like an army of rainbow fitness trainers streaming out and attacking everyone. To watch the hilarious video introduction to her as a newcomer, featuring Link, Kirby and Mario attempting yoga (which is the FUNNIEST s**t I've seen all week), please click here!

Finally, here are three confirmed Zelda-related stages you can look forward to:
On the 3DS:
- Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- The Spirit Train (Spirit Tracks)
On the Wii U:
- Skyloft (Skyward Sword)

Interestingly enough, the version of Link in this installment of SSB is clearly that of Twilight Princess. Not that he hasn't come without some visual upgrading, but from the character design we can tell that surprisingly (at least to me, anyway) Skyward Sword Link was not chosen for this round. It's not entirely clear why this is, though most pointed speculation seems to indicate that it might be in connection with the Zelda Wii U title itself, since the Zelda tech demo on the Wii U also featured Twilight Princess Link. Personally, I'm not convinced the tech demo and Zelda Wii U are connected, as it could turn out just like the Wind Waker - a demo featuring an adult Link on the Gamecube was seemingly forgotten in favor of featuring the young Toon Link we now know. It seems more likely that TP Link's design was more favorable for Smash Bros, as Skyward Link was quite unique. It may also be because of a desire to maintain consistency in the Zelda characters that are included in this round of Smash Bros; if Skyward Link were to make an appearance as a featured character, then it might not make much sense for Zelda/Sheik and Ganondorf to come along with him. Of course, many of us hoped for Ghirahim to be potentially featured as a player, but until we get the full list of characters that entire possibility is still up in the air. Keep in mind this is all pretty much speculation, LOL, but I don't think I was the only one surprised that Twilight Princess Link made a return appearance instead of Skyward. It will be an interesting warp of reality to have him play on the Skyloft stage.

The release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS is set for Spring 2014!

This eagerly-anticipated installment already has fans on the edge of their seats, what with the bouts of rumors and apparent leaked images that have been flying around the internet. I will do my best to relay everything that has been confirmed as true here. Masahiro Sakurai, the lead developer from Project Sora, has stated on numerous occasions that serious work on the next SSB will not begin until he and his team are finished with Kid Icarus: Uprising (see relative thread!!! ;D). So we can hopefully expect some sort of news/official previews come E3 2012, but I doubt it will be ready in time for release as a Wii U launch title.

Rumored newcomer character lists have already included the fabulous Ghirahim, for starters, and despite very legit-looking images floating around the interwebs about a supposed "SSB: Universe" title, none of it has been confirmed by Sakurai or Project Sora. So for the meantime we'll have to patiently wait for KI to come out so that they can get to work on SSB4. Sakurai has confirmed that it's possible some Capcom characters may be making an appearance, which technically gives Vaati a running chance! (although the focus of this idea seems to be on incorporating characters from other universes.) Sakurai has also talked about his plans for the 3DS/Wii U interactive interface, discussing how it could be possible for players to have a more independent, customizable experience on the 3DS, with the ability to upload customized characters to the Wii U version.

What do you think about all of these confirmed and still possible changes? Who do you want to see on SSB4's newcomer list? Vote above and tell us below!

Wikipedia  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 pm
AH.

OH MY GOD.

GROOSE. WE NEED GROOSE.

Or Debbie, I can live with that. I hope if he were in the game, the taunt would be showing off his a** again.

Meizzkey
Vice Captain

Aged Fatcat

TheCassMeow

Fashionable Nerd

7,400 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:27 pm
Oh my gosh, this is awesome!

It's hard to decide on the newcomer, although Groose or Ghiriham (sorry if i mispelled his name, i never get it right XD) would be awesome! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Ghirahim. He shall shoot people with his sparkles.  

learly

Shirtless Friend

Meizzkey
Vice Captain

Aged Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm
Mitsu_Lightning15
Ghiriham
Great Scott...

This is the best misspelling of his name I've ever seen. XD I love it!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm
Meizzkey
Mitsu_Lightning15
Ghiriham
Great Scott...

This is the best misspelling of his name I've ever seen. XD I love it!

I'm sorry i cant spell! haha the least i can do is give everyone entertainment XDD  

TheCassMeow

Fashionable Nerd

7,400 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Meizzkey
Vice Captain

Aged Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 pm
Mitsu_Lightning15
You only mixed up too letters! Nothing like my dad who's called him "Ghariham" before. XD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 pm
tough choice... i had 3 people in mind, vaati, ghiriham, and zant. i chose other cause zant wasn't up there but i vote for vaati and ghiriham to.  

How_many_stars_in_the_sky

4,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Full closet 200

Westice

Beloved Garbage

24,225 Points
  • Married 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 am
Wolf Link/ Midna for the win! YES!  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:08 pm
Ninja Matthew from Golden Sun Dark Dawn. Nuff said.  

Alex Trevell

Mythical Tactician

23,340 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500

Hesitancyyy

Timid Browser

10,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 pm
I get the impression that Ghirahim would be fun to play as. I hope he's added.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm
Cancerian Enigma
I get the impression that Ghirahim would be fun to play as. I hope he's added.

I would love it if that happened. The fact that they put a revamped Twilight Princess Link back in makes me wary that they won't be including any Skyward Sword characters at all, but we'll see! We already have three newcomers but I can't see why we might not get more!  

Akeyami
Vice Captain

Interesting Dabbler

Akeyami
Vice Captain

Interesting Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 pm
UPDATE: Not all characters from past Super Smash Bros. installments will be returning. Sakurai-san is not telling us who is and isn't making the cut, but he has clarified that it is more of an issue of time than anything else. He and the Smash Bros. team apparently do not have enough time to add as many characters as the returnee roster currently lists.

For an article with direct quotes from Sakurai-san and more details, click here.

Who do you think might not make the final cut? Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Toon/Young Link and other "clone" characters were left out, since a version of them would already be there (I would be disappointed, though). Other people are speculating that characters such as Ike and Lucario might also be cut. It seems pretty up in the air, and we don't quite know if they're determining it by relative popularity or some other factor.

Whatever the final scenario is, we can possibly cling to hope in favor of those who might not be included in considering the possibility of them being released as downloadable content (DLC) post-release. Sakurai-san/Nintendo have yet to even say they've considered this, however.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 pm
Oh dear god! I hope the Ice Climbers and Ness aren't cut! Or Olimar! Those guys are some of my best characters! Especially the Ice Climbers!  

Westice

Beloved Garbage

24,225 Points
  • Married 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100

Akeyami
Vice Captain

Interesting Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:11 pm
Westice
Oh dear god! I hope the Ice Climbers and Ness aren't cut! Or Olimar! Those guys are some of my best characters! Especially the Ice Climbers!

I never managed to get the hang of the Ice Climbers, lol. Takes a level of coordination I don't seem to have xD;  
The Latest in Gaming (Previews and News)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games