Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Fatcat

6,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
I apologize if this seems like the world's most basic question, but for all the collectors out there, what kind of shelving/display configuration do you use and where did you purchase it? I'd appreciate some online links if at all possible so I can check stuff out before I go gamboling off to wherever. I'm going to start collecting some different things and have never been serious about it before...hence my lack of shelving knowledge. I was going to use part of my bookcase, but I really want to keep my books. sweatdrop

37,975 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Team Josie 25
  • Super Jumper 500
Depends on what you are planning to collect.

Anything fragile I would recommend some sort of courier cabinet. That way they are protected from getting damaged and dirty/dusty. They are expensive (ranges from $200-$400 and up) but worth it. You can always look at second hand stores that sell used furniture or local craigslist to find one at a bargain price.

Regular items you can use basic wall shelves. Mind you, you will have to keep the dust down. Figures and such tend to be dust magnets.

I use a courier cabinet for my dolls and very breakable figurines (or items that I don't want to get dirty or dusty due to the materials they are made out of). I can't say how much since it was a Christmas gift. I assuming it was in the $300 range. I also have special wall shelves for other nicknacks and resin cat ornaments I collect. It's a pain the a** since they collect major dust. Shelves were given to me.

Anxious Fatcat

6,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
Thanks very much! I hate dusting, but it'll be worth it. blaugh

Starlight Glare's Widower

Dangerous Bloodsucker

22,440 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

I do pretty much the same.
I use courier cabinets and bookshelves. There are several units/bookshelves running up the stairs, which have all been put together in various measurements to suit the space needed.

Flat-pack bookcases are a really good idea. It's cheaper, and it means you can easily rearrange the space if needed, and still have space for books (My books are on shelves under the Dolls, figures and collectables)
Plus, you can always buy perspex or glass doors and add them yourself if you want, I added sliding doors on a metal track (Door sliders? Whatever they're called) along the front. It looks professional and protects everything. wink

Lady Bibliophile

I found that some Ikea bookcase work well for the collectibles in my apartment. I collect dragons so it tends to be a varied collection of materials. we also have a lot of old game systems dating back to the beginning. I use these in black for most of it http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50147735/. However they don't have doors and i have to move everything about every two weeks to make sure its dusted. I Like them because they work well with a range of different size objects and books. Also, I took a lot of my non seasonal stuff down and they worked great for putting up my collectible Christmas village.

Gambino Believer

41,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Joyeux Noël - Geseënde Kersfees - Mele Kalikimaka - Happy Life Day - Selamat Natal - Buon Natale - メリークリスマス - Meri Kirihimete - 圣诞快乐 - Καλά Χριστούγεννα - Mereth Veren e-Doled Eruion - Glædelig Jul - Feliz Navidad

For my Gundam models I have a large wooden cabinet with two glass sliding doors. It has three shelves and I stand the models on each shelf (using a little tacky clay stuff that I can never remember the name of to keep them in place). It's worked quite well. I can't remember how much it cost, though, it was a number of years ago that I got it...

For most of my other not-so-fragile things I just have them on shelves in my room. They're just simple wood shelves on shelving arms attached to the wall, nothing fancy, but it works. This is where I have most of my anime and Star Wars collectibles, and a few LEGO models as well. I also have a couple Star Wars props on one of the shelves (including a screen-accurate helmet). In the living room I have my childhood teddy bear in a glass stand.

Unfortunately, though, a great portion of my collections are packed away in storage tubs because I don't have the room to display everything. Once I get my own place I I'll finally be able to display more stuff. I have a huge keychain collection and for that I'm planning to get a couple large shelves, put on plexiglass doors and attach lengths of small chain inside that I'll hang the keychains off of.

But as was already said, the ideal shelving or storage will depend on what it is you're collecting and wanting to display. Small things may not be noticeable on a shelf as they tend to be a little higher up and could be put in a cabinet, but large things may not fit in a case and would be better suited for a shelf. Fragile things will need to be put in a cabinet so they're not exposed and can't be easily knocked over.

-S. Claus
Post style by Gorath Tsu
User Image

Dangerous Werewolf

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I just use regular shelves. Of course, stuff gets dusty that way. ;-;

Tipsy Genius

IKEA bookshelves or handmade "scene" displays (ex: a customized dollhouse interior).

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I pretty much use bookshelves, but that's because I collect figures who are perfectly capable of standing on their own and are made of plastic. If you are collecting glass or porcelin, I would suggest a sturdy case with a glass door that can close and protect them from dirt, insects, etc.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff