Welcome to Gaia! ::

Marytanna's Husband

Perfect Elocutionist

I registered in '07 and started become active in '08. I've been on and off (some times take months inactive) due to school and work but I always come back because Gaia had become my favorite corner on the internet. I think this time, there's no coming back.

Gaia, you're changing. I'm leaving because I've had enough of this change. We all know change is inevitable, and this site is no exception. I want to tell you that your change is not for the better and you're slowly and surely destroying the Gaia we used to know.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the years I've been active on this site. Gaia offered me a social game where I can be a completely different anonymous person from the busy life I have IRL.

I want to leave you my honest final feedback, because I feel that you deserve it from me.

I'd like to commend you for the following:

The community and the user base
The forums
The avatar system
• The marketplace
• Towns and flash spaces
• The games
• zOMG!
• Events
• Alchemy
• Profiles
• The friend system
• The ignore feature
• The TOS and strict rules
• Moderators
• Customer Support
• The gold shops
• The NPCs
• The storyline
• Daily Chance
• Aquarium
• The Cash Shop
• The Monthly CIs
• Virtual Currency (Gold and GCash)
• Staff Communication and reception of Feedback

Those above are great! I'm sure there are more I missed but they keep me logging in at least everyday.

Here's my feedback to you:

The community and the user base
Listen to your userbase. You're turning them into cash cows. The Gaia that we used to love does not shove sales to our faces. The Gaia that we used to love does not wreck the balance between paying and non-paying users. The Gaia that we used to love does not promote greed.

The community is still passionate about the site. That is why the SF is still full of concerned users. Listen to them before they stopped caring. Some of them have been loyal to your site (like me) for years now.

The forums
Update guilds. It has been forever that users have been requesting them. The forums is already great as it is and you should keep it up.

The avatar system
I think your avatar system is the best in the whole wide internet. It promotes creativity, cosplay for anime lovers, dolls lovers whatnot. Almost all kinds of items exist and you keep on making more and more updates on items. They're great!

We all love making avatars. Items used to be available to all even if you don't use GCash. GCash is great BTW. I think users should support Gaia by buying GC with new items for dressups whatnot.

Overall, I think the avatar system, is second best after your forums.

The Marketplace
I think it's the third best feature you have. It promotes interest in math, saving up (questing), reaching a goal. I think "Dream Avatars" as the community calls it is a good learning experience that is even useful in real life. It teaches us the concept of buy-and-sell and investing. That's really great, Gaia. I commend you for it.

The store system is great as well as the bidding system. Flynn's Plunder is a great Idea. Even the retired Bid Blast was also a great idea.

I don't think any site have a marketplace system that can match Gaia. And for that, you have my 5 stars.

Towns and flash spaces
Your flash spaces may not be as great as other sites but they're good.

The games
Again, your flash games may not be as great as other sites but they're good. I think rewards should be updated to make games playable again. eg. making new ticket/credit-only items.

zOMG!
Oh my. Oh my... Where to start... I became an addict of Gaia because of zOMG. Yes, it's definitely not the greatest game but it's sooo good. The community and the userbase comes in again. I've met the best Gaians on there and my best of friends on the internet from there.

The storyline is great. The game play is awesome. It is unique. You cannot buy your way into the game and you really need to play to make your character advance. The Ghi boosts are a great addition too.

It's sad that you killed zOMG!. Yes, you pretty much killed it and here's how:

1. You made the gameplay EASY. So EASY it destroyed the challenge. Buffs that used to be for allies only can be used by the user (eg. Rock Armor). And not just that, you made them AOE. It buffs the entire team! That's made EB and everything else 1000000x easier. The armors now stack, before you cannot stack 2 or more armors at once. You made it boring when you did that.

You missed the opportunity to sell power ups and game aids when you made the game easy.

2. zOMG! exclusive items were given away.. FOR FREE (NPC freebies). What's great about zOMG! (and could have had a lot of potential) is its recipe system. zOMG! monsters and quests grant recipes that can only be given away when you play the game. But what did you do? You gave completed recipe items from NPCs. Even Ninja Equipments. Ninja Equipments are only 1 per account (Katsumi quests). The NPCs gave them away. They used to be rare and now they're cheap.

The recipe system is a great waste. It could have been a great way to encourage players to play zOMG! and to encourage them to buy powerups. Gaia, you could have introduced extremely rare and desirable items on zOMG! that'll encourage gameplay. Let's the honest, the Kamila epics were great but it does not compare to the many great items the cash shop offers for GCash.

3. The large gold payout - THIS pretty much murdered zOMG! I'm not saying it's bad, I've started building up my account when I made large sums of gold from there. It caused a lot of inflation and it changed the marketplace (just like Dolphinmania did). zOMG! could have had other rewards rather than huge gold payouts. Me and my zOMG! addict friends make 500k - 1mil for 6 hours of SS'ing. 1 mil wayyyyyy back can buy you a ton of stuff.

You've nerfed zOMG! and took those gold rewards. That made a lot of users upset and leave the game (some of my friends, Gaia and not just zOMG!). The high gold payout should have never been implemented.

3. There are plenty of ways to encourage players. And one of them is rewards. Not just gold. You could have made a lot of desirable zOMG! exclusive items. You could have incorporated zOMG! drops to Alchemy.
◘ You could have made an orb shop.
◘ You could have made zOMG! exclusive desirable items obtainable only thru an ingame quest
◘ Event monsters that drop rare recipes
◘ There are tons of other ideas ignored and put away

Now zOMG! is pretty much in permanent maintenance mode. To date, there's only 1 server left and there are much less players logging in. I personally believe that zOMG! is great and it is a wasted opportunity. I think there's still hope for it and Gaia you should give it another shot.

Alchemy
Alchemy is a great idea done very poorly. 100% of formulas don't make sense. YES! It's 100% now, even the wings are not reasonable.

◘ Alchemy could have been a great gold sink. - It will need to sacrifice a lot of gold to make Alchemy exclusive items.
◘ Alchemy should not have been an item sink - Like I said 100% of craftable formulas are not reasonable. NONE of them make sense (eg. sacrificing a 100k item to make a 10k item)
◘ Alchemy could have been a great way to encourage zOMG! game play. - There are tons and tons of zOMG! loot that could have been incorporated in formulas.
◘ Alchemy could have made PROFIT. You could have sold CS-only components/formulas and whatnot. You could have made it profitable but you made it unreasonable. Many other ideas to encourage the sale of GC. Selling Alchemy packs for GC to level up easily is just a cheap trick and no wonder it's not profitable.
◘ Wings should have never hit the Cash Shop. Especially the 13-level wings. For the love of Gaia! It takes 13 hard levels to craft wings but then you sold em for real cash. That's a lowblow for oldbie alchemists. I know the user ************ spent nearly 600 mil (pre-inflation) to complete a Demonic Quest. But then you sold in in the shops. It's disgusting.
Wings should have been the best encouragement to do Alchemy. But what have you done Gaia? You recolored them to death! And sold them in the Cash Shop. They have lost their luster. Many Gaians are bird people. I got my Michael's Wings that I quested for a year 2 days after it was released in the CS. I sold it after 7 days. It's no longer worth it. They should have never left Alchemy. Wings and all its recolors should have been within Alchemy.

My suggestion: Overhaul Alchemy. It still has hope.

Profiles, the friend (and ignore) system
I think this feature is great and you should keep it up!

The TOS and strict rules moderators
The implementation of rules and TOS by moderators is great and mods should keep it up.
My Suggestion: Do not be rash with banning. You should investigate more. I have known a lot of users that have been unfairly banned.

Customer Support and Ticket System
I'm sorry to use this term but it's HORRIBLE. Your ticketing system is the WORST feature you have.

Suggestions:
◘ If you promised to reply within 14 business days, you should. And I'm not saying just the copy-pasted replies.
◘ When you perma-ban users, be concise with your reasons
◘ Do not take months to finish investigations.
◘ Have a working ticketing system. In the current ticketing system, you have ABSOLUTELY no reassurance that your account will be looked into. I'll take my experience as an example. My account with 5 others were trade disabled. Apparently, some hacked account purchased out store items with hacked gold.
The investigation took almost 2 months. And as far as I know, there was never an investigation. A mod told me that the case was "lost". It wasn't looked into if I didn't flood the SF and made a bat signal to the admins. Luckily, the admin Zero was kind enough to resolve the case in 1 DAY. IN ONE DAY. ONE. DAY. We waited and waited for nothing where it could have been resolved in 1 day. It was very disappointing.

Gaia, you should work on this. I was informed that only volunteers work on hack reports. That's bad. Users "purchase" your products and you should value them and take care of their concerns ASAP.

The gold shops, the NPCs and the storyline
These are a few great things that made this site Gaia. Please don't lose it. With all your cash pushes, you're slowly forgetting these.
◘ Update the manga
◘ Incorporate site changes to the storyline
◘ More interaction of the storyline to the community

Aquarium
The aquarium was a waste. It shouldn't have pooped a lot of gold that once wrecked the marketplace. It could have pooped a different currency that are Aquarium exclusive. I feel like that you've pushed Aquarium too much and you always use the "GET TONS OF GOLD" strategy to sell GCash.

The aquarium is no longer this popular. I think it could have been profitable without making booty grab destructive to the Gaian economy.

I think Aquarium still has hope, it just needs right updates.

The Cash Shop

Where to start... -sigh- The Gaia cash shop had become the hottest debate over the past few months. Here are my feedback on many of them:

◘ Chance Item exclusive rereleases - THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! Last year, you started to sell them for obscene amounts like at least 50 dollars because they are CI rares. Leave them in the CI, Gaia. They were CHANCE items, they were WON. If you intended to just sell them in the Cash Shop, you should have just released them in the CS and not as CIs.

The Event sales were a great exception (Black Friday, Christmas) because it's not everyday that you offer them.

◘ MC Rereleases - THEY'RE THE WORST THING YOU'VE DONE, GAIA. This breaks your promise. You broke your promise to never resell your MCs out of their release months. You know what you did with your MCs? You have reduced them to regular cash items. What makes them different from regular cash shop items now?

MCs should have never been re-released. It only screams desperate-for-money.

◘ Announcements - There's too many of them and most of them are repeats. I have stopped reading them weeks ago and I'm sure others too. Sooooo many about GCash. It's like BUY BUY BUY shoved into our faces. Not many like buying into desperation. The number of announcements you make everyday screams desperation for money.
♣ ORGANIZE the sales announcements
♣ LIMIT them to 1 per item, especially for multiples, put them into schedules.

◘ Item Releases - There's too many new things in the CS everyday. TOO MANY! I know these are all optional but I think you'll make more money if you don't sell too many at once for a limited time. You are competing with yourself! That's bad. Cut GC users some slack. Give them time to save some money and it give it time for your CS items to sell before releasing new items. This leads to very few to no listings in the marketplace and reflects poor sale of the item.

◘ Rerelease Bundles ("Deflation bundles" and 100-pack item generators) - This almost the same with CI rereleases. You're not just devaluing gold, you're also devaluing items. They should have never existed, same with the gold generators.

◘ Recolors - Recolors sale. are not cool Gaia. Remember all the hype for recolors? Because they were rare occurrences. They are released in monthly CIs and some of them are rare. They don't come with 5 other recolors at the same time.
♣ Recolors of CI items should be in CIs too
♣ Recolors of CS items are cool to be in the CS
♣ Recolors are tiresome, the originals are losing their luster because of recolors. Slow them down! In this way, you can also make sure their quality are okay.
♣ Recolors must not be priced equal or more than the original. Come on! It's an already made item just in a different color.. that's like not even equal the effort, why sell for more?

◘ Limited Quantity Items - I think it's another level of desperation. You destroyed the rarity and value of your own items so you have to resort to artificial rarity. I think it's a horrible idea.

◘ Other GCash Shops - Rococo and Verge are redundant shops

Considering that the Gaia Cash Shop is the main source of your income, you should focus on it. And by focus, I mean not to make your existing customers and potential customers upset.

Virtual Currency (Gold and GCash)
You've devalued your own items and currencies and now you have to resort to gold-for-cash just to sell cash. At this point now, Gaia you have become pathetic. I wouldn't be surprised the payout will be 1 trillion soon. Desperation at its best.

I think the reason why Gaia is now inflating the market is because the value of Cash has dwindled with the items. You made this possible with all your rereleases. Gaia Cash can buy a lot more items so an average Gaian who used to spend more cash now spend less.

You devalued gold. Remember when there's banner of the Gambino old guy promoting playing the market? There was even an ad to shake trees in towns because the story says that gold grows from trees. Gaia... Gold is supposed to be earned, not bought. That's what you encouraged before. That's the notion I got from you when I joined. (I played hours to get tickets that I can sell for 3 gold each so I can buy a Mythrill Armor and a Mythic hair) That's what set it apart from GCash. You know what you did? You made the items in the marketplace purchasable only with GCash. It's indirect but we all know purchasing items in the marketplace now require a lot of gold obtainable only if you had it before the inflation or before you purchase cash.

You made questing on Gaia easy by just purchasing with real cash. That's not the spirit of questing. You've destroyed it. With the release of gold in the Cash Shop, all you did was to promote greed, separation of the community, promote I-want-it-now attitudes, promote gambling etc. This is not what Gaia used to be and now I'm bitter because the Gaia I loved is now gone and replaced by this new one.

I currently have 150 billion pure on hand and you know what I can buy with that? A handful of items. That's how bad and pathetic the marketplace had become. 150 billion I have right now is just like 15mil last year. Sure I can start coping up with this new wave of inflation but I now know you won't stop and you're no longer worth my efforts.

Staff Communication and reception of Feedback
Bring it back, Gaia. You lost it. This is what made you special and got a niche from other sites. You were also part of the community and not gods who were over all of us. Try browsing the first 10 pages of the SF and read. I'm sure you'll be surprised how the same feedback pops out. Please listen to your users. You are nothing without your users.

My friends have left this site and I should too.

Final feedback: Please realize what you're turning into before your users start leaving and stop supporting you.

Goodbye Gaia, it's been fun.

To my friends: You can see my Skype ID on my Gaia status. Reach me if you want to.
I couldn't promise to keep logging on just to chat with friends. Just add me on Skype or twitter. smile *Love you all.

Returning once everything gets better.

Kawaii Comrade

I wish you luck and the very best for wherever you decide to go, Goodbye Easley Lighthalzen sweatdrop While you stand firm and strong with many to all of your points, I really would like to wish you the very best and would like to thank you for playing with us, while this place still stood for something..

Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
Not going to lie, but seeing your name and seeing you say goodbye darn near made me cry.

I'm effin heartbroken that this site is abandoning all users just to close out on high profits.

I'm more than deeply saddened...and I'm trying not to cry over seeing familiar faces leaving.

This, Gaia, is what you've turned into.

A place where I check who's leaving next.

Good job. rolleyes
It's sad to see more and more Gaians leaving everyday.
I can't say I blame you... I'm probably going to as well in the near future.
Anyways, I do wish you luck to wherever you go off to.

Perfect Saint

I don't blame you. You'll be missed.

I'm finding it darn near impossible to understand what's happening. I still like getting direct-to-CS items, but sometimes, they release far too many in a day. I don't really vend or buy gold gens, so if I happen to like items from RIGs that are not directly available, I feel OTL.

I end up paralyzed what to buy anymore since I'd like to get value for GC, but things just keep changing and I'm definitely losing track of so many things.

I still won't leave because I still get to do some of the things I've always liked about Gaia, but this last few weeks has just made things too difficult on so many levels. I am not willing to pay any more than I've been paying these last few months. I think I've spent more this year than nearly 5+ years previously and I seem to get less in terms of overall experience. Only the avatar part appear to improve, but the rest of the site experience has definitely gone down.

Magic Girl

19,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
That is super sad to hear, we just became friends but i am really saddened by this

Relentless Glitch

You did try. Gaia just wouldn't listen anyway. sad

Lily-livered Vegetarian

30,415 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
Great feedback and a well-written post. Thanks for putting it all out there so well. Also, I'm very sorry to see you go and wish you well!

Undead Enchantress

Sorry to see you go, Easley. I just added you and all and I haven't really added anybody in years. sad

Gaia has really changed. I'm pretty much stuck the way I look since I do not have the skills and now the time to devote to earning on Gaia. Believe me, gold is a trickle when you only rely on a couple of hours of posting. Even the new gold shop items are in the billions. I guess the undead shouldn't really care for how they look, but still...

Kenji Tiger's Spouse

Devoted Cleric

25,625 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Healer 50
well said if you weren't leaving I would add as well many I know have long left before now or I am not speaking with hopefully one day. one day.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
My heart just sank.
Hopefully you might come back from time to time.

On the topic: Many of the changes I do not like either. So much was either lost or permanently put on hold. Marketing tactics have me bummed more and more everyday.

Original Survivor

Best of luck out there. I'm just waiting for this place to self-destruct.

Fashionable Misfit

I remember playing DMS with you! it was fun those days. You'll be missed. Hope all goes well for you.

Star-Crossed Seraph

25,775 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I actually read through your -entire- post.

I agree with almost everything you've said. And a lot of the ideas to repair the Now Gaia to what we once knew would work, if given half a chance, I would think.

I've read through a lot of your posts since I've been here (04/2010) and I will admit, that I may not have always agreed with you, but, you had the passion to believe in what you were saying.

I am sorry to see you go. Take care.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces