Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Lionheart

Bonaduece
feasibleweasel
An update to this after the announcement I just got. Gaia's 17th anniversary items can only be bought with cash apparently. I feel like that completely excludes a lot of users who have been here since nearly the beginning. I want to be able to celebrate the anniversary, but not with Gaia almost trying to force me to spend real money. There doesn't seem to be an event happening for it, no fun or games or interactions, just pay to play. It really does feel like Gaia is pushing users away like this...

Gaia's 17th anniversary already came and went this year (they gave out this freebie at the time). Those bundles are just the two most popular ones of the many they had for sale at the time, making a return appearance.

OOPS guess I totally missed it then my bad. I thought it was a current thing and not a returning item thank you for clearing that up!! It restores my faith somewhat lol.

The Body Farm's Boyfriend

Unbeatable Man-Lover

Having an exclusive shop is ******** dumb anyway
There have been a couple times where an item i really like shows up and its a C9 item and I'm like "oh well not getting that one" where as if it were in the regular cash shop i could see myself buying some cash to buy it

There are plenty of other ways they could incentivize subs and having an exclusive shop aint it

The Body Farm's Boyfriend

Unbeatable Man-Lover

Also like to point out that club verge was an exclusive shop as well and it failed

Questionable Regular

Wow, I didn't know cards became a sub exclusive. Because in the past, I have seen the cards in c9 first and then after some time, go back onto the cs. Keeping the cards in c9 only is a horrible move for the gaia economy rofl Prices on cards are definitely rising. Though then again, I remember when they used to be HALF of what they usually go by (400B/40kp per 1k). They've tried mitigating it by increasing the cost of them (I remember when it used to be you used 1k to buy a 1k) but it didn't do much. Time for prices to inflate again emo

HalIows's Wife

Girl-Crazy Wife

This is terrible, I hate it. Gaia is so thirsty, but wants it all for free.

I mean, on a personal level, I probably shouldn't be pissed. I never bought them anyways and I made a quarter of a quadrillion off this bonehead decision because of how unstable it made GC's price. (I happened to have over half a million in cards on me when they did it)

But, if anything, that's just another reason for other people to be pissed. Like stupidly gaia-rich users like me needed another 250 trillion for free. cat_rolleyes

Marinity's Widow

Crystal Traveler

13,425 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
This is ridiculous. May as well start putting changing your avatar behind a paywall too.

Not to give them.ideas but ******** sake.

Original Prophet

Came back after a year; decided to support the site by purchasing GCash during this pandemic - only to find out this mess! rofl

Found this thread, subsequently subscribed to angel status only to find C9 did not have the Gcash available. Unacceptable Gaia, indecisiveness is poor business. Now, I rather be buying cheap stocks in the real stock market then deal with this.

Edgy Trash

Throttle Kitty

I mean, on a personal level, I probably shouldn't be pissed. I never bought them anyways and I made a quarter of a quadrillion off this bonehead decision because of how unstable it made GC's price. (I happened to have over half a million in cards on me when they did it)

But, if anything, that's just another reason for other people to be pissed. Like stupidly gaia-rich users like me needed another 250 trillion for free. cat_rolleyes
✘✘✘

y'know, i could maybe use some of that 250 trillion...User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

on a personal note, i've not once subscribed to whatever Gaia's subscription service is. which is kind of stupid because i do spend money here pretty often. more often than i probably should tbh

i dunno, i'm just not a huge fan of that sort of model. the way i see it, i already spend enough that i should just get perks outright, and i'm sure there are others who share this opinion.

as for paywalling the gc cards, ffs, gaia, if you're going to do that, leave them in c9 permanently and remove the tax.

i'm not a huge exchanger, so i'm not as in touch with how this kind of ******** will affect the economy, but i can't imagine it's doing the economy any good. i get that there will always be haves and have-nots, for lack of better terms, but the wealth disparity on this site is pretty ridiculous. i mean i like to think that i'm doing alright, but then we have Throttle Kitty here making ******** bank and even i'm balking at that sort of wealth.

will this stop me from buying gcash? probably not. i'm still not subscribing, though.
✘✘✘

HalIows's Wife

Girl-Crazy Wife

Monochromia
Throttle Kitty

✘✘✘

y'know, i could maybe use some of that 250 trillion...User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

on a personal note, i've not once subscribed to whatever Gaia's subscription service is. which is kind of stupid because i do spend money here pretty often. more often than i probably should tbh

i dunno, i'm just not a huge fan of that sort of model. the way i see it, i already spend enough that i should just get perks outright, and i'm sure there are others who share this opinion.

as for paywalling the gc cards, ffs, gaia, if you're going to do that, leave them in c9 permanently and remove the tax.

i'm not a huge exchanger, so i'm not as in touch with how this kind of ******** will affect the economy, but i can't imagine it's doing the economy any good. i get that there will always be haves and have-nots, for lack of better terms, but the wealth disparity on this site is pretty ridiculous. i mean i like to think that i'm doing alright, but then we have Throttle Kitty here making ******** bank and even i'm balking at that sort of wealth.

will this stop me from buying gcash? probably not. i'm still not subscribing, though.
✘✘✘
it ended up being like 300t cat_gonk I hate to say, it's not even a lot of gold to me...

You're very right about the "haves and haves nots" of Gaia! It's a real issue. I was (and am) basically trying to present myself as a walking example of that. It's gotten worse and worse over the years, and I think it really discourages spending on this site. I care more about that than making some gold. I know I have no need to spend on this site when Gaia turns one little knob and make amounts that would cost me hundreds in spending. Is it weird for me to be kind of annoyed by that? I liked at least pretending I earned my gold.

People tend not to spend as much when the disparity is so harsh.. The people on the bottom feel it's hopeless, and the people on the top mostly feel they have enough already. It's just not a great atmosphere if you are wanting spenders to feel like they accomplished more with their spending than "better than just wasting it on trading cards or mictrotransactions!"

And yeah, I think if they are going to put them in cloud 9, at least take the tax off and leave them in there constantly. I honestly feel it's a weird and not very good choice. I don't really think anyone would buy the subscription for that. It was fine how it was. The tax sucked but was necessary. (I was one of the people suggesting it, when they considered taking the cards away altogether)

All I care is that the GCash cards exist, and do still come into the system. If they try to remove them altogether, it will totally crater the economy. Making them rarer just... well, it won't help.

VSCode 's Pardner

OG Gaian

This is for the best, honestly. Good move on your part, Gaia.

Gaian

gloomspell

At this rate, i'm just annoyed.
Can they actually inform us before making huge changes like this?
They just do what they want to do and destroy the market.
I have no idea what the gaia staff is doing/thinking right now.
I think it would be better if we did more of a charity for those who don't have $5 for a subscription and donate them to the people that want them..like you would any item. Like it's a stressful time as is, the least we can do is be kind to one another.

Supernatural Apparition

Rhongomyniad
I think it would be better if we did more of a charity for those who don't have $5 for a subscription and donate them to the people that want them..like you would any item. Like it's a stressful time as is, the least we can do is be kind to one another.

What were you imagining we would donate to people?

Currently, there are no GCash Gift Cards available for anyone in the stores.

Also, there is no option currently to gift Subs/Perks for other people. Although that would be nice.

It would be lovely to be able to gift someone with a year of perks! Or a year of Angel Sub, which comes with GCash each month! (Although, if they are going to be eliminating the Angel Sub system, I guess that won't be an option.)

Rich Wife

As someone who doesn't sub often (on/off about it because the perks are not much worth it for me). I strive on buying gaia cards as a non-subber so I can sell them back to the market for gold to spend back towards items I want. I don't carry enough time to frequently analyze prices for items and trying to sell them back for profit. Which is why I support in the form of buying gc cards- so i'm able to afford costly mp prices. ):

If they are trying to appeal to become a premium site member, they are more so discouraging me from wanting to monetarily support them. Not that I wouldn't but I'd be only spending to buy specific LI's that release and nothing else because it can't be put into anything else.

Ruthless Flatterer

15,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I agree that this move is going to be extremely bad PR. and piss off lots of poor people.

But I highly disagree that this is economically a bad move (at least removed from the PR).

Anyone who spends money for gaia cash to sell. Consider that switching to angel subscription gives you free gaia cash.

and now that it's locked behind angel subscription makes it even more expensive. So theoretically you should be able to make a similar amount of money.

And the reason they removed GC from the cash shop is because of december's event last year.

I have a strong suspicion it's because of this.

They gave out a lot of free gaia cash to accounts for people that participated in the event. I'm sure it was possible for people to amass lots of gaia cash without paying a cent to gaia. So just participate in the event with lots of mules would get you like 500 gc

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff