Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
There is now a Spring Cleaning Proposal thread to fix Alchemy- Please give it your support.
Sinivar
I tried to make a proposal for it if anyone is interested or has any ideas on what I should change about it to better get the point across.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/spring-cleaning-proposals-2011/proposal-fix-alchemy/t.74861223/

Feel free to tell me if you think something needs to be added or reworded. ^_^;; I'm not so good at these kinds of threads. *wishes she could put it as well as Dicks did in the OP*

There is also a thread suggesting to make Alchemy components more common in general
marshmallowcreampie
I hate to be advertising my own thread, but if it's appropriate, could you put my proposal thread up as well? It's to make alchemy ingredients more common.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/spring-cleaning-proposals-2011/proposal-releasing-alchemy-components-in-bigger-quantities/t.74841627/?_gaia_t_=3934

Support for either of these proposals is appreciated! Hopefully we can use spring cleaning to make the staff listen to us!
Quote:
Update August 31st
Surprise surprise, I was right! Gaia is now trying to sell Alchemy items to us at a premium price via "Ivan's Surplus"! The items cost 99GC per CHANCE at an old fail item that is used in an alchemy formula. So much for "keeping things in circulation"! It would cost 990GC PER RIG assuming you got the ten ingredients you needed all in a row via this method.
If this is what they planned... and this is what they sold to us as reassurance in the Q&A... I didn't think I could possibly be any more disappointed, but I am.

This means you are paying about a buck apiece for a CHANCE to get a fail item that you can use to make another CHANCE item... which in turn will still not give you a snowball's CHANCE in hell at getting the rare item you want. A chance at a chance at a chance? You've sunk low, Gaia.

Alchemy could have been (and still could be) a great goldsink, Gaia. But rather than leaving the feature accessible to everyone, you've decided to make a lot of formulas that use already very rare ingredients.

By doing this, I assume, you plan to make those items which are finite in supply ascend to "super rare" status like your dumb rare animals, and then sell the ingredients that we need to us again in another RIG. After all, since each successful alchemy attempt will consume the items used to create the new item, these already rare items will proceed to become more and more scarce, until possibly none exist at all or they become like angelic halos.

Good moneymaker? I guess you'll see. But I am hugely disappointed. I remember, ages ago, all the discussions we all used to have about backwings. They weren't supposed to be something only for the rich. Yet if the trend you've started with alchemy's release continues, it will be. Because if Backwings are a level 9 or 10 item, you'll have to craft nearly all the items below it to level up and in some of the formulas, multiples of items costing millions of gold already are required. Therefore only the people with the disposable income to craft all the way up to level 9-10 will get backwings and it will be restricted to the ultra rich.

You may as well have released them in Dernier Cri.

Even if backwings don't come out this way, I am still disappointed. It has been a long time since I've made a thread doubting Gaia or even a harsh post- all the haters can hardly accuse me of bias now, yet I still see this as a bad move. Alchemy could have been an awesome goldsink... but by requiring items that cost so much, and HAVE cost so much since release, it's really unfair to the average user who doesn't have time to play BG 3+ hours a day or vend all day.

To anyone saying "It just came out, wait"-
The items that are required for crafting, the items I am mentioning that cost millions, have BEEN out. The prices HAVE stabilized. For some of the lower tier items it is possible we are seeing inflation but I am not just looking at the highest price right now- a lot of the items in higher tier formulas have cost a lot before alchemy was released and this is just making them more rare and more unattainable.

If Gaia turns alchemy around, and makes a ton of cheaper formulas for EVERY level (allowing you to gain levels without being uber rich) then I will rescind my statements but alchemy as it is... is a very poor showing and if it continues along these lines it is a complete waste of a feature, in my mind.

Even people that do not use this feature will be/are affected.
The rapid inflation of items chosen as ingredients means that even if all you want is a double rainbow- well, too bad! They're being pissed away by the dozen and EVERYONE wants one now- oh my bad, not one, fifty.
Gaia has chosen already rare items (kitten stars, wigs etc) as ingredients. These items have finite amounts. Eventually these items could become like Angelic Halos- just as rare anyways. They're being bought and sold in mass amounts and destroyed just as fast.

With how this feature is playing out I'm just left wondering...
Didn't anybody at Gaia think this through? Seriously?

Apparently, yes they did- and it's working exactly as they intended.
Seconding some other peoples' observations.. Just how disconnected from the userbase are the staff if they think this is what we want?

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

*applauds*

I agree with everything you said. I was able to buy a Frigid Night Jewel and an Envy Night Jewel around their normal prices right before everyone bought them up. I refreshed the page not even a minute after and all of them were gone. I bought two Double Rainbows for less than 2k, and then I see them shooting through the roof and beyond. I looked at the wigs' prices before and after, and holy s**t my jaw dropped when they went from a around six hundred thousand plus to several million gold (and then be gone) in less time it took me to use the bathroom, and this is only the beginning.

It would have made a lot more sense to need a s**t load of zOMG! loot and a countless amount of certain gold shop items than it was to use any RIG or CS item in these recipes. I fear you may need a Hermes Moon or a Biancamella, or more, to make their new recolour counterparts.

Dernier Cri looks like a poor man's paradise compared to this.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

gonk I agree... ten billion times.

4,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Same reaction. Thank you for putting it in words.
Gaia really should be ashamed of themselves. Since when did this website become an exclusive club for the wealthy?

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Here, here.

A handful of recipes so far, like the Tsunami shirts, seem decently reasonable but most of them are just way too pricey to be considered anywhere near 'accessible'. Either that or they're very unprofitable and there's, therefore, no real incentive to make them.

8,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
ugh same. I cant craft anything, and Im not willing to either :S

Questionable Trickster

20,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
I'll add my thanks to the OP for saying how I feel.
This s really going to bugger it up for people questing the more expensive ingredients items just for themselves.

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
Reaction when I first signed on: Hey this is kinda cool.
Reaction after I checked in more detail: ....they're using CASH SHOP ITEMS in the formulas?! gonk Why? Why would they do that? *throws hands up in defeat*

I'm so sick of seeing "rare status symbol items". Rare items mean jack s**t. It's like bragging to your Pokemon playing friends that you caught the newest legendary pokemon. "Yea, and? Everyone's done that about ten billion times already. Sit down and shut up." *headdesk*

The fishing exchange formulas made more sense. <- that be a proper gold sink.

Cash items... *shakes head* The people who came up with these formulas are either really smart, or lost their brains somewhere along the line and we've just started to notice. Either way, dickish move is dickish. I'm so afraid to look at the MP right now. @_@

Just the cost to perform the alchemy alone made it a perfect gold sink.

4,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Andromeda Phoenix
Reaction when I first signed on: Hey this is kinda cool.
Reaction after I checked in more detail: ....they're using CASH SHOP ITEMS in the formulas?! gonk Why? Why would they do that? *throws hands up in defeat*

I'm so sick of seeing "rare status symbol items". Rare items mean jack s**t. It's like bragging to your Pokemon playing friends that you caught the newest legendary pokemon. "Yea, and? Everyone's done that about ten billion times already. Sit down and shut up." *headdesk*

The fishing exchange formulas made more sense. <- that be a proper gold sink.

Cash items... *shakes head* The people who came up with these formulas are either really smart, or lost their brains somewhere along the line and we've just started to notice. Either way, dickish move is dickish. I'm so afraid to look at the MP right now. @_@

Just the cost to perform the alchemy alone made it a perfect gold sink.

Gold sink? By using cash shop items it's clearly a cash sink!
Now I see very clearly WHY Gaia decided to do this.

Ruthless Consumer

the items aren't used up, only the gold.. like a gold sink.

Mythical Lightbringer

Perfectly stated, OP. This is EXACTLY how I feel, and I'm saddened to see another fantastic idea become an elitist nightmare.

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

AnimeJet
If the item is made successfully, the item and the gold are used. If the alchemy fails, then just the gold is used, the items returned to your inventory.

Pirra-chan's Significant Otter

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

AnimeJet

You got that wrong.

Only when you fail.

10,150 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
I thought only the gold is lost IF the transmutation fails. Where does it say that the items aren't used up for a successful transmutation?

AnimeJet

Ruthless Consumer

.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
AnimeJet
If the item is made successfully, the item and the gold are used. If the alchemy fails, then just the gold is used, the items returned to your inventory.

.. well duh? Why the hell wouldn't they be? It's alchemy.. ? Why is that even a complaint?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff