Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Man-Lover

12,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
godpizza
Dwindling
Isn't the idea of Goldsinks, to cater to the GC buyers?
I get where your coming from but it think it's more to remove money from GC buyers rather than non GC buyers

The point is that gold shop items are starting to become unobtainable without GC. They aren't removing money from GC users at all--literally tens of hundreds of billions are being removed by the 2% MP tax, and nothing is happening. (Due to the GGs.) Even if 1,000 people bought the new 600k house item, it wouldn't even make a 0.001% difference in the economy. (Number is half pulled out of my a**, half pretty sure it's correct.)

This actually may make a bad behavior wherein ALMOST ALL NEW ITEMS ARE UNOBTAINABLE TO THE REGULAR USER. 600k was very expensive before, but now, an average Gaian CANNOT make 600k any easier. Therefore, GC must be used, assuming nobody donates.

Then maybe that's the goal

Dapper Gaian

9,825 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Dwindling
godpizza
Dwindling
Isn't the idea of Goldsinks, to cater to the GC buyers?
I get where your coming from but it think it's more to remove money from GC buyers rather than non GC buyers

The point is that gold shop items are starting to become unobtainable without GC. They aren't removing money from GC users at all--literally tens of hundreds of billions are being removed by the 2% MP tax, and nothing is happening. (Due to the GGs.) Even if 1,000 people bought the new 600k house item, it wouldn't even make a 0.001% difference in the economy. (Number is half pulled out of my a**, half pretty sure it's correct.)

This actually may make a bad behavior wherein ALMOST ALL NEW ITEMS ARE UNOBTAINABLE TO THE REGULAR USER. 600k was very expensive before, but now, an average Gaian CANNOT make 600k any easier. Therefore, GC must be used, assuming nobody donates.

Then maybe that's the goal

Yup. And that's why I'm complaining.

Fortuitous Phantom

Gold sinks don't help, either, when they're inaccessible to those logged on for less than 95 days in a row. neutral I think they should increase the rate of flynns plunder as well. Make it every half week, not week. Get more items out there, more gold sinks.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Yeeeaaah, gold sinks are most effective when they're in reach for many users, not simply the ones who have hundreds of millions in disposable virtual income. While it's great if someone chooses to blow 100 mil on an item, once that item already exists, there is no motivation to get it again. So the other 600 million in their account goes unused.

Meanwhile, those with 50 million cannot yet afford the 100 million item, and even if they could, that would wipe them out to zero gold, likely something they wouldn't want to do.

Goldsinks in a far more appealing and available range, like 500k-3 mil, will probably appeal to a lot more users. Not just the ones with hundreds of millions - billions in gold, but also those who have a million or so and want something nice to spend it on. To that end, not only should Loyal's Bazaar be updated with more mid-tier items that more people can afford, but Dernier*Cri should also update with items in the 1-5 million range. For example, I have over 100 mil on this account, my main account. But my mule accounts have, at max, 5 mil each. I sure as hell can't afford the 20 mil devil tail recolors. I'll be barely able to afford the Portable Stereo Headphones recolors, but be priced out of the Angelic Bracelet recolors. Not to mention Dander, Chyaku Norisu, Nitemare, Bani, Goti and some Angelic Scarf recolors. While there are a good amount of lower end item recolors, like the Queen of Cups, there just aren't enough of a range of more medium-priced recolors to make it attractive for users who don't have enormous amounts of gold.

Greater access to goldsinks = more participation in those goldsinks.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Kyasuri
Gold sinks don't help, either, when they're inaccessible to those logged on for less than 95 days in a row. neutral I think they should increase the rate of flynns plunder as well. Make it every half week, not week. Get more items out there, more gold sinks.
Except that there are people who are willing to buy things for people who cant access the bazaar. Some do it for free while others will ask to be paid a finders fee.

Fortuitous Phantom

Astra Green
Kyasuri
Except that there are people who are willing to buy things for people who cant access the bazaar. Some do it for free while others will ask to be paid a finders fee.
But there's not enough to allow a real gold sink. It's just gaia's way of pretending to help us when in actuality they know having such a steep entrance fee keeps the majority of people who can help with inflation out.
Kyorukki
sweet jesus
good post

It's not like gold sinks aren't appreciated but all the recent gold releases are really expensive for users that don't use gc/vend

^
this

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Kyasuri
Astra Green
Kyasuri
Gold sinks don't help either, when they're inaccessible to those logged on for less than 95 days in a row. neutral I think they should increase the rate of flynns plunder as well. Make it every half week, not week. Get more items out there, more gold sinks.
But there's not enough to allow a real gold sink. It's just gaia's way of pretending to help us when in actuality they know having such a steep entrance fee keeps the majority of people who can help with inflation out.
Inflation has never been something Gaia has effected nor been able to control since 2008. Its all on the users. And really its not hard to stay logged in for 75 days. I wake up at 5am, grab my phone and log in the site. Everyday.

And if I forget to, I log in on my break at work. I dont want them to make things easier for those who neglect their accounts or go on a hiatus. Thats not fair to new people who love the site or mules or people that are logged in all the time.

A Hoarder

21,525 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Nicely put OP. While I can afford all of those wings in LB I wouldn't go and blow all of my gold or even half of my gold on a one pose pair of wings. It took me a while to acquire as much gold as I do have and I won't go and spend it all in one shot.

It would be absolutely wonderful if gold generators were put to an end, but like you said, since that's less likely to happen, a permanent gold cap on those generators may also suffice. I'd love to see in increase in payouts for z! and Booty Grab, I agree very much with you. The market would inflate some, but it would settle, and then maybe non-GC users would actually be able to afford some of these crazy prices..

Blessed Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Magical Girl 50
potter5252
It's not just the Loyal's Bazaar that is a gold sink Flynn's Plunder does her job too. After this round of SDplus dolls, she'll have taken 1 trillion gold out of circulation. If gaia keeps putting up super expensive items in her shop then people will do their bidding and bam gold out of the picture in exchange for some sweet hard-to get loot.
I mean most of it just gets thrown back in one way or another

Flynn's Plunder caused all of this.

She was good when she first starting but went all down hill after a short time.

She isn't a gold sink, she is a GG

Fortuitous Phantom

Astra Green
Kyasuri
Astra Green
Kyasuri
Gold sinks don't help either, when they're inaccessible to those logged on for less than 95 days in a row. neutral I think they should increase the rate of flynns plunder as well. Make it every half week, not week. Get more items out there, more gold sinks.
Inflation has never been something Gaia has effected nor been able to control since 2008. Its all on the users. And really its not hard to stay logged in for 75 days. I wake up at 5am, grab my phone and log in the site. Everyday.

And if I forget to, I log in on my break at work. I dont want them to make things easier for those who neglect their accounts or go on a hiatus. Thats not fair to new people who love the site or mules or people that are logged in all the time.
You're like a shiney pokemon. One of the few rarities still so blind to what Gaia is responsible for.

It is Gaia's fault for inflation. And I'm going to give you an economics 101 lesson on this very topic. Albeit with all the facts floating around this site as to HOW it is Gaia's fault, I can't imagine you'll change your mind, seeing as you've kept yourself blind for so long.

We're going to clarify what it is exactly Gaia is doing, and use that definition for the rest of the explanation. First of all, these gold generators introduced into the system are akin to the real life practice of printing money. "Printing money is a colloquial term for quantitative easing. Quantitative easing is a mechanism by which The Fed can inject more money into the economy, virtually out of thin air." As defined in this article here. So by this very definition, it can be agreed these gold generators (upwards of 7.5 Billion payout) is like printing money, or "quantitative easing". There is no substance or worth behind the GG that is being introduced to the system, it is literally coming out of thin air in this scenario.

That being said, Gaia's practice of "quantitative easing" has driven prices upwards, causing inflation. What is inflation exactly? "Inflation is defined as a sustained increase in the general level of prices for goods and services. It is measured as an annual percentage increase. As inflation rises, every dollar you own buys a smaller percentage of a good or service." As defined in this article here. So for every new GG introduced to the system, the less the overall worth of the GG becomes. Because of this, you need MORE GG to purchase something that, before gold generators were introduced, was originally worth less before the practice of this "quantitative easing".

Breaking it down frame by frame, the more GG in the system, the more people have to spend. More importantly the more people are WILLING to spend. Gaians that once found themselves poor JUMP at the chance to buy these items previously out of their price range. Once this happens, one of two things can occur. They either buy all items that are listed on the market, or only the most egregiously priced items are left. When these over-inflated prices in the market are the only ones left, it narrows the market of those who are able to purchase them, thereby becoming unavailable to the average joe as they were before (at a higher price, of course). However come the next gold generator, Gaians produce for themselves more GG, allowing them to buy the over-inflated prices of the item. We are again in the same scenario where either all the items on the market are sold, or only the highest prices remain. It's not until the next gold generator cycle that these items are able to be purchased, pushing the ABP upwards once again. This is both where your argument and the argument of Gaia needing to produce gold generators to keep up with inflated prices comes in (even though it is clear by this cycle that the gold generators are enabling the inflated prices. If you don't have gold generators, you can't produce more GG to buy outrageously priced items, and the prices will either come down or stabilize which is explained below). You argue that the market's inflation is caused solely by the users greed. This does have a helping hand, yes, but it is NOT the cause of inflation.

It is important to remember that "quantitative easing" leads to an increase in the amount of GG, but not an increase in product, as defined in this article here. So this product, once the available stock on the market has been purchased, is still at the same amount. The majority of those purchasing this product are doing so for keeps, decreasing the available stock on the market. This is where we come to the concept of "supply and demand". As supply decreases and demand either increases or stays the same, a shortage of the product occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price, as defined in this article here. This is also seen here where it's explained that it's not a "buyers" market, but a sellers market. This is because there is so few stock of items circulating through the site that sellers are allowed to set the price. If there was more supply, or not enough GG to purchase these over-inflated prices, then the price for the items would decrease according to "supply and demand".

So after learning that more GG in the system means the decrease worth of the GG, that the initial rush of people to buy the items they want decreases the supply in the market, and that with this decrease in supply, the equilibrium price for product increases, we've inadvertently learned the very definition of inflation. WITHOUT the increase of "quantitative easing" in the market, the GG's worth remains at a healthy equilibrium, there is no rush to the market to buy up whatever supply the users can, and the price of an item remains the same as the supply stays relatively stagnant (for the purposes of explaning why gold generators create inflation, I have assumed for this argument that item generators do not exist. As you can see from the market, however, once supply increases, prices drop. This goes back to the concept of "supply and demand" ).

But I will go a step further in my explanation to say we are WELL beyond inflation and have reached the point of HYPERinflation. Yes. This is a thing. The most famous example of hyperinflation is Germany after WWI. After losing the war, the country found itself in the midst of a great depression. Their answer for that was to print money, or as we've learned by now, "quantitative easing". This act of printing money lead prices skyrocketing upwards of 2,500% their original in less than a month. Sound familiar? "Hyperinflation is when the prices of most goods and services skyrocket, usually more than 50% a month. It usually starts when a country's Federal government begins printing money to pay for fiscal spending. As the money supply increases, prices creep up as in regular inflation." as defined by this article here.

So that's the reality of it. Yes users have to do with an increase in the pricing, but the main culprit is Gaia and their gold generators. Let's realistically look at your argument for a moment. With the increase of GG in the market, you're expecting users to keep the prices of their items to the same prices before the flood of GG entering the market. But what, then, do users do with all of this extra GG they now have? Buy more items that are supposed to be priced before this flood of GG? It's EXTREMELY unrealistic. In a perfect world, sure this would work. But as history has shown us time and time again, this is not the case. It's human nature to ask for more when there is more money, and ask for less when there is less money. It will happen no matter what. That WON'T change. What DOES have the ability to change, however, is Gaia increasing the amount of GG in the market. If you pay attention to the daily spending chart in the market, you can tell that the only thing sustaining this hyperinflation is Gaia continually pumping out these gold generators. The points where the market levels out or even DECREASES in amount of daily spending, are the points where there is a gap in gold generator releases. However the point where more gold generators come out is also the point where the daily market spending increases. If they stopped cold turkey, we'd see a decrease in spending on the market, followed by stabilization. However that can never happen until Gaia stops releasing gold generators, which they never will.

Whether you disagree with this or not, it is fact proven and re-proven by the examples of time. Gaia's gold generators are a direct cause of the hyperinflation of the market. You can yell at me or others until you're blue in the face, but it won't stop you from being wrong.

Fortuitous Phantom

So that just happened. Finally put my masters degree to use xd (sarcastically, of course. If the crowning achievement of my masters degree is explaining to people why printing money causes inflation, then I have a very sad future blaugh )

Sparkling Senshi

14,550 Points
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Girl 50
StephyA
potter5252
It's not just the Loyal's Bazaar that is a gold sink Flynn's Plunder does her job too. After this round of SDplus dolls, she'll have taken 1 trillion gold out of circulation. If gaia keeps putting up super expensive items in her shop then people will do their bidding and bam gold out of the picture in exchange for some sweet hard-to get loot.

<_< I thought it was Flynn's Booty that started all of this.

Blessed Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Magical Girl 50
potter5252
StephyA
potter5252

<_< I thought it was Flynn's Booty that started all of this.

it was both

Fanatical Giver

We ALL know there are big problems around here. It's just getting them fixed that's the issue.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff