Welcome to Gaia! ::

On a daily base I would feed her propylene glycol which maybe toxic if consumed in large quanities overs weeks, months, and years. I also fed her diseased, dead, dying, and disabled cattle bits, euthinzed shelter pets with their flea collars still on. Yummy! Its also really funny how the euthing medicine is not altered or removed in the food making process. You know I also had to throw in some road kill for good measure!

Lets see... What else did I feed her..Oh yeah! She really really loved BHA which is proven to cause cancer and tumors! I also really enjoyed feeding her a dye.. I think it was.. Yellow 6? It has been linked to tumors in the adrenal gland and kidneys, it must be good stuff!
Hold the phone! What you be talking about?

Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot to add that I was feeding her Kibbles 'n Bits.

Yes, thats right. Kibbles 'n Bits. Were you expecting that one? She's also been fed Pedigree, Ol Roy , Gravy Train , and Beneful at some time or another in her life. What do all of these have in common? Well, for one, they all have dyes, BHA... Poor ingredients. Poison.
There seems to be a lack of education.

Society has it where people go to Walmart glance through the dog food section and throw in any ole food into their cart because its cheap, it says 'nurtritionally complete', and their dogs absolutely love it. They then sit back and wonder why their dogs have allergies, why they have loose runny stools, and why they are overweight or have issues keeping weight on. They never sit back and wonder 'Hm, maybe Kibbles 'n Bits isn't that healthy...'

I really would love for more people to open their eyes to the garbage they are feeding their beloved dog/ companion/ fur baby. SO! Lets break down a few lists on ingredients found in some well-known comerial dog food, shall we? I've already kind of done Kibbles 'n Bits.. So I guess I'll leave that one alone.

Alpo

Ingredients: Ground yellow corn,beef and bone meal (source of beef flavor), corn germ meal , soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA), digest of chicken by-products (source of chicken flavor), pork and bone meal, poultry by-product meal, salt, iron oxide, glandular meal (source of liver flavor), cheese meal (source of cheese flavor), choline chloride, zinc, sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, vitamin A acetate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), sodium selenite, folic acid, biotin

The underlined are questionable or bad. Corn is basically undigestible to dogs, it runs right through them and gives no nutritional value, its also to leading cause of food allergies in dogs.

Soybean meal is another thats pointless and hard to digest.

Animal fat can literally be from anything. Road kill, zoo animals, 4D (diseased, dead, dying, disabled), euthed shelter pets with flea collars still on, anything unfit for human consumption.

BHA is linked to cancer and tumors.

Byproducts are once again unfit for human consumption. Feathers, beaks, feet, blood, stomachs and contents, heads, brains... You get the picture. Gross.

How about a more respected food... IAMS anyone..?

IAMS ProActive Health

Chicken, Corn Meal , Ground Whole Grain Sorghum , Chicken By-Product Meal , Dried Beet Pulp , Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Caramel, Calcium Carbonate, Flax Meal, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract.

Alright, lets start on this one. Corn we already know is undigestible. Sorghum is a grain and if the plant is stressed or young it can produce toxic levels of cyanide.. Yum? By-products.... Beet Pulp. This is also a new one like Sorghum. Ultimately its sugar. They produce the same highs and lows as table sugar and a great deal of stress on the pancreas and adrenals, a condition that may result in diabetes. Also, sweetners have been linked to behavior problems and hyperactivity in pets. Who'd a thunk it?
But.. But.. What SHOULD I feed my dog?

Awesome question!

There are a number of GREAT holistic dog foods out there, I now feed one of them myself and are extremely pleased with the results.

Dogs are designed to need a very high to all meat content in their food. It's impossible for them to properly and fully digest corn, wheat, and soy. Rice is a lesser evil.
Grain free is normally the best way to go kibble wise, if it can be afforded. Potato is a simple starch, easy to digest, and sweet potato is even better. Peas are a simple fiber.
Meat meals are better than JUST meat. Dog food ingredients are listed by the weight on bags. Meal is going to weight more that just say.. chicken. Therefore the bag would be made up of more chicken meal than just chicken. Look for at the very least two named meat products lists as the very first two ingredients.
Stay far far away from unnamed animal sources. Meat and bone meal, poultry, liver, animal fat, animal digest and so on and so forth. By-products are low quality and should be avoided.
BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin are all perservatives. BHA and BHT are both known to cause tumors and cancer... Ethoxyquin is often found in fish used in commericial dog foods. Ethoxyquin is a toxin limited and banned in human food.
Many poor quality foods have dyes in them. Although studies have not proven much, they have hinted at majority of the dyes to cause tumors or allergic reactions in animals. Besides, they are pointless. Your dog doesn't care his food is multicolored.

Now, an actual list of good holistic foods!

Blue Buffalo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Taste of the Wild, Canidae (I feed the Single Grain), Wellness, Wellness Core, Innova, Diamond Naturals, Solid Gold, Acana, Evo.. and many, many more (Help me out guys~)

Ultimately, however, there will be some flaw or another that could possibly be found with ANY kibble. The only food that could be considered perfect would be a RAW diet consisting of Raw meaty bones,muscle tissue, and organ meat, some people like to throw in eggs, small bits of fruit, and small amounts of veggies. Its honestly up to you. Raw bones, unlike dry or wet food, actually clean the teeth while they eat. Raw is also 100% digestible and you KNOW what is going into your pets system.

There are also a few benefits to feeding your dogs a higher quality food.. Besides.. Well ya know.. Poisoning them.

Before its mentioned, yes, higher quality foods DO cost more, however your dog will eat less. My pooch was being fed 6 heaping cup fulls of kibbles 'n bits and still could barely keep weight on. We switched to Canidae and she's down to 3 cups a day and can easily keep up a healthy weight.
People also notice much softer, fuller, and shinier coats. I can personally attest to this as well.
A dogs poop will have less of a smell, it desovles into the ground much quicker, and theres far less of it. Less to pick up or step in! Hurray!
Over-all health is improved leading to less vet visits and less money spent there. Food allergies normally disappear after switching off of corn, wheat, or soy.
Can I has List...?

Well, I thought it'd be a good idea to list dog food brands, the good, the bad, and the down right ugly. This way its an easy and quick comparison on level of food quality.

The worst.

Pedigree, Kibbles 'n Bits, Alpo, Gravy Train (cringe), Purina Dog Chow, Beneful Original...

'Okay'

IAMs Healthy Naturals, Pro Plan, Purina Beyond One, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Diamond brand

Much better

Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Wellness, Innova, Diamond brand Naturals

Great

Evo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Canidae Pure Elements, Wellness Core, Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild, Acanna, Orijen

The best

Raw.

As you can see my lists are lacking, I could use a bit of help with this. 8D
THANK GOD ITS DONE

And yes, I know I made a lot of spelling errors and stuffs but.. Its almost 3 in the morning. Good night to you sirs, I said goodnight!

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
11 Cardinal 11

Yes, thats right. Kibbles 'n Bits. Were you expecting that one? She's also been fed Pedigree, Ol Roy , Gravy Train , and Beneful at some time or another in her life. What do all of these have in common? Well, for one, they all have dyes, BHA... Poor ingredients. Poison.

You forgot Science Diet, Alpo, Eukanuba (not the worst, but nothing I would feed my dogs. Even their natural variety is full of grains), Iams, Pro Plan and Purina (Dog Chow's ingredients are horrifying).
Lunarflowermaiden
11 Cardinal 11

You forgot Science Diet, Alpo, Eukanuba (not the worst, but nothing I would feed my dogs. Even their natural variety is full of grains), Iams, Pro Plan and Purina (Dog Chow's ingredients are horrifying).

I'm still working on it and I'll totally get to them! =) But I was looking for Alpo so thank you for the reminder! Lol
FFFFFFUUUUU I love this thread. Hopefully it'll open people's eyes to the damages that crappy dog food can do. Kidney damage and failure, skin conditions, obesity, tumors, etc.
I was wondering where you were going with this, Cardi. xD

Now I know. Go for it, girl! Spread the knowledge! *thumbs up*

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Great thread! Definitely took me by surprise. When I saw the title and your username next to it, I was like, "What? Not her!", but read on and was very impressed. You should add a link to it in your signature- a lot of the regulars in Pets already know what food is bad for their cats and dogs, but many people in other forums simply have no clue at all.
Moth Feathers
Great thread! Definitely took me by surprise. When I saw the title and your username next to it, I was like, "What? Not her!", but read on and was very impressed. You should add a link to it in your signature- a lot of the regulars in Pets already know what food is bad for their cats and dogs, but many people in other forums simply have no clue at all.

I was totally terrified of getting flamed durring the set-up. LOL. I know how regs can raagggeee.

Thats a great idea, I'll do it tomorrow.. Granted I never post anywhere besides the Pets!.. Hrm

@Vicky: Hopefully it'll open someones eyes.

Eiozoyu...eirzoyu.. erizoyu.. Erm... EIZORYU! Thats it. @Eizoryu: Thank you. biggrin

IRL Conventioneer

5,400 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
The title got my attention, but it's just rambling on over several posts. dramallama

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Wasn't expecting that when I clicked this.
Quite an informative thread.

I should make one for kitties too :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas