Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Member

He is about 6 months old and around 22'' long. I'm feeding him one rat fuzzy every 6 days. However, the middle of his body is going from squarish to round. His neck is square-ish, but that's about it. I'm not sure how he got to be overweight, but how do I make him lose some so he's more lean?

...is he even fat?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
I once heard snake weight to be described like a loaf of bread.
Here's a quote I pulled off a cornsnake forum a long time ago and saved to my computer.
cornsnake forum
Cam5, what people say is that the cross-sectional shape of your snake should roughly match that of a loaf of bread. It should be flat on the bottom and pretty flat on the sides, and rounded on the top. If your snake's spine is sticking out, it would look triangular on the top. If your snake is rounded on the sides, it's either a female who's ovulating or gravid, or a snake that is carrying a little more weight than is optimal. "

I'll wait for the herp experts to come in and say more.
Have you ever measured him on a scale (such as a kitchen scale)? It's good to keep track of their weight.

Sparkling Member

Moth Feathers
Here's a quote I pulled off a cornsnake forum a long time ago and saved to my computer.
cornsnake forum
Cam5, what people say is that the cross-sectional shape of your snake should roughly match that of a loaf of bread. It should be flat on the bottom and pretty flat on the sides, and rounded on the top. If your snake's spine is sticking out, it would look triangular on the top. If your snake is rounded on the sides, it's either a female who's ovulating or gravid, or a snake that is carrying a little more weight than is optimal. "

Have you ever measured him on a scale (such as a kitchen scale)? It's good to keep track of their weight.

I don't have a scale, but I have heard it's good to weigh them. And he's kind of round on the sides, but I was thinking he might just have to defecate? This is the 3rd week he hasn't defecated so I'm thinking he's about to. He did have 3 or four clumps of urates in his enclosure last week, though,

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I think he looks good, robust, and healthy. I feed weekly and my snakes aren't obese. A reputable veterinarian around here is a believer in smaller more frequent meals. I also know of people who feed their snakes once every 2 weeks and their snakes look healthy. Since your boa is young i think weekly feedings are just fine. If he hasn't pooed in 3 weeks, he probably has to go. Try giving him/her a soak, that always works.

7,425 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Megathread 100
hes not fat at all keep up the good work

Sparkling Member

Thanks, you guys. I think he just has to defecate, so I'll see if he's less round after (:

9,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Moth Feathers
cornsnake forum

"loaf of bread" thats so cute!

@E.S. Get a scale & weigh your snake, its the only real way to tell if she/he's losing or gaining, its a valuable thing to have records of weight gain. My boa is 18lbs now ^U^ she's a cute fat snake.

9,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
He's such a cute little snake!
You're seeing it because you're feeding just barely before a week each time, so where my snake will have had four rats in 28 days, yours will have had four rats in 24 days, and over a time like six months the difference adds up. Cut him back to once every seven days and you'll notice him slim down gradually.

sit back down where you belong, on the corner of my bar with your high heels on.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff