Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Classes begin at SKorean school full of mourning

Students in the city hit hardest by the South Korean ferry disaster returned to classes Thursday, their school campus a tragic landscape of yellow ribbons, chrysanthemums and photos of classmates and teachers who make up the vast majority of the more than 300 people feared dead.

Danwon High School was at times the site of even more direct grieving, as relatives in funeral processions visited their loved ones' classrooms before moving on to cremate the body. Education officials said the first two days of classes will focus on helping students cope with losses and trauma, with help from psychiatrists and professional counselors.

Nearby at Olympic Memorial Museum, a flower-strewn temporary memorial to the approximately 250 students dead or missing drew a stream of black-clad mourners.

"I am very sad, but at the same time, I also feel resentful and angry," said businessman Lee Dong-geun. When "I entered, I saw the faces of those students and could not fight back my tears."

So far 159 bodies have been pulled from the water, with 143 people still missing. Hundreds of divers are working to retrieve the remaining bodies.

Looking in Cabins now

As the ferry sank, some crew members gave their lifejackets to passengers. One refused to leave until she shepherded students off the ship, and was later found dead. Others worked from rescue boats to break windows with hammers and pull people trapped in cabins to safety.

Nearly a week after the sinking of the South Korean ferry, with rising outrage over a death count that could eventually top 300, the public verdict against the crew of the Sewol has been savage and quick. "Cowards!" social media users howled. "Unforgivable, murderous," President Park Geun-hye said Monday of the captain and some crew.

Some fled the ferry, including the captain, but not all. At least seven of the 29 crew members are missing or dead, and several of those who survived stayed on or near the ship to help passengers.

"His last words were, 'I'm on my way to save the kids,'" Ahn So-hyun told reporters of what her husband, missing crew member Yang Dae-hong, told her by cellphone as the ship began to sink Wednesday. He was referring to the 323 high school students on the ferry, which was carrying a total of 476 people.

More than 100 people are confirmed dead and nearly 200 more are still missing. Relatives, as well as many other South Koreans, are enraged, lashing out at what they see as a botched rescue operation and, most vehemently, at the captain. He and two crew members have been arrested, accused of negligence and abandoning people in need. Six other crew members have been detained — two of them on Tuesday — though prosecutors have yet to obtain arrest warrants for them.

Captain Lee Joon-seok told passengers to stay in their cabins as the ferry listed and filled with water, then took at least half an hour to order an evacuation and apparently escaped on one of the first rescue boats.

But passengers recall moments of quiet bravery from the crew.

Passenger Koo Bon-hee, 36, told The Associated Press that there were not enough life jackets for everyone in the area on the third floor where he and others waited. So crew members — two men and two women — didn't wear any so that all the passengers could have one.

One of the first bodies recovered after the ferry sank was 22-year-old crew member Park Ji-young, who helped students evacuate until the last minute, even though she wasn't wearing a life vest, South Korean media reported. Witnesses told Yonhap news agency that she told students that crew members must stay on the ship until everyone else leaves, and that she would follow them after helping passengers.

Crew members describe a rending dilemma as the ship went down. The late evacuation order meant that by the time the crew got off the bridge, the tilt of the ship was so great they could barely walk, let alone rescue passengers. Should they flee the sinking ship or risk their lives to save others trapped below?

Oh Yong-seok, a 57-year-old helmsman, said he and four crew members worked from nearby boats to smash windows on the sinking ferry, dragging six passengers stuck in cabins to safety.

Oh said that a first mate — who is detained — used his knowledge of the ship's layout to help direct rescuers as they worked to pull passengers off onto rescue boats. He said he and his colleagues remained at sea trying to help until an official who appeared to be from the coast guard asked them to head to land.

more here
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lee and eight members of his crew have been arrested on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. On Saturday, the handcuffed captain was paraded before flashing cameras, his face hidden beneath the dark hood of a windbreaker. He brusquely denied fleeing the ship, without elaborating, and said he delayed evacuation because of worries about sending passengers into cold waters and fast currents before rescuers arrived.

The fall from grace stands in stark contrast to Lee's striking portrayal, in interviews given to local media over the last decade, of a resilient and adventurous life spent at sea. It gives a chilling irony to his appearance on a 2010 travel show aired on cable broadcaster OBS, where he captained the Ohamana, another ferry that traveled the same Incheon-to-Jeju route plied by the Sewol.

"For those who are using our Incheon-to-Jeju ferry, I can tell you that the next time you return, it will be a safe and pleasant" experience, Lee said, dressed in a white captain's uniform with gold epaulets on the shoulders. "If you follow the instructions of our crew members, it will be safer than any other means of transportation."

Lee, 68, began his life at sea by chance, landing a job on a ship in his mid-20s. He worked on ocean freighters for the next 20 years before becoming a ferry captain, he said in a 2004 interview with Jeju Today, a Web-based news organization. He was then captain of another Incheon-to-Jeju ferry.

"The first ship I sailed on was a hardwood ship that flipped over in waters near Okinawa, Japan. The Japanese Self-Defense Forces saved me with their helicopters," Lee recalled. "If I hadn't been saved then, I wouldn't be here today."

Lee said there were times he thought about giving up sailing.

Ferry

There is more to the story.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why didn't they have life vests for all the passengers and crew? Seems like they should be required.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ratttking
Why didn't they have life vests for all the passengers and crew? Seems like they should be required.

Sounds like a Titantic type scenario.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Is it written in the Captain's handbook that you can't leave? If the ship's sinking its every (wo)man for themselves. Is the captain supposed to hold everyone's hand as they jump off the ship? What was he supposed to do, help all 250 passengers? That's unrealistic and selfish of ANYONE giving him s**t about this.

Time-traveling Senshi

Kaiser Khorosho
Is it written in the Captain's handbook that you can't leave? If the ship's sinking its every (wo)man for themselves. Is the captain supposed to hold everyone's hand as they jump off the ship? What was he supposed to do, help all 250 passengers? That's unrealistic and selfish of ANYONE giving him s**t about this.

They should have had some kind of rehearsed emergency plan that was regularly reviewed along with proper procedures for when evacuation measures begin after the ship begins to take water. I don't know what the procedures are over there but the first thing you do when getting on a cruise ship after going to your cabin is to go through a muster drill. You learn where your muster station is and you learn the procedures for putting on life vests and where you're supposed to go in order to evacuate. The major questions in this situation are now did they have a muster plan for the ship and if they did why didn't the captain follow it? Why did he wait thirty minutes before sounding the evacuation alarm and even then why did he tell people to remain in their cabins?

It sounds like SOLAS, which is maintained by the IMO, is going to have to be amended to deal with muster drills on larger ferries with cabins because right now they're not required to have any kind of muster plan. Because if ferry ships like that were required to have a full muster drill and abide by the rules of SOLAS then the ferry company would have been in complete violation of Chapter III. Something has to change with their safety procedures within that ferry company.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Silvia Crow
Ratttking

You think they'd have learned better in the past century.

Off-topic, your avi! emotion_kirakira

Kawaii Shoujo

Silvia Crow
Ratttking

Yeah that's the cruise ship that had a ton of problems and it looks as though history repeats itself no matter what.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ratttking
Silvia Crow
Ratttking

You think they'd have learned better in the past century.

Off-topic, your avi! emotion_kirakira

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong emotion_awesome emotion_eyebrow

Off-topic, glad you like it =D I've an artistic hard-on for Art Nouveau style stuff emotion_kirakira

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Oh my god yeeeeeeeeeeees! I've been waiting for this news! I was so pissed when I saw the footage of him jumping ship.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Kaiser Khorosho

People are giving him s**t because he gave the evacuation orders too late. Reports say that the ship was already beginning to list 30 minutes before the captain gave the evacuation orders. He also ordered the children to stay in their rooms (in Korean culture, children are very obedient towards older people and people in authority). By the time the captain DID give the evacuation order, the ferry was already listing at a steep angle, preventing most people inside the ship from being able to scramble to safety. When asked why he gave the evacuation orders too late, he said something along the lines of the water being too cold, the currents being too powerful, etc. But if he had given the evacuation orders much earlier, more lives could have been saved. Rescue teams would see the Sewol passengers bobbing in the water with their lifejackets on, rather than have to search through a sunken ferry and finding dead bodies instead of living bodies.

Also, the captain and a few of the crew members left on the first lifeboat, leaving everyone else to fend for themselves, including the remaining crew members. One of the deceased crew members, Park Ji-young, who helped as many passengers get out as she could, was quoted as saying "crew members are the last to leave". Well if crew members were supposed to be the last to leave, why did the captain and the crew members that went with him leave first before everyone else?

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Chibi Halo
Kaiser Khorosho

They should have had some kind of rehearsed emergency plan that was regularly reviewed along with proper procedures for when evacuation measures begin after the ship begins to take water. I don't know what the procedures are over there but the first thing you do when getting on a cruise ship after going to your cabin is to go through a muster drill. You learn where your muster station is and you learn the procedures for putting on life vests and where you're supposed to go in order to evacuate. The major questions in this situation are now did they have a muster plan for the ship and if they did why didn't the captain follow it? Why did he wait thirty minutes before sounding the evacuation alarm and even then why did he tell people to remain in their cabins?

It sounds like SOLAS, which is maintained by the IMO, is going to have to be amended to deal with muster drills on larger ferries with cabins because right now they're not required to have any kind of muster plan. Because if ferry ships like that were required to have a full muster drill and abide by the rules of SOLAS then the ferry company would have been in complete violation of Chapter III. Something has to change with their safety procedures within that ferry company.

Not to mention, they should've made sure that there were enough life jackets for everyone. The article did state that four crew members didn't wear life jackets because there wasn't enough and they wanted all the lifejackets to go to the passengers.

Time-traveling Senshi

Teabo Milk Tea
Chibi Halo
Kaiser Khorosho

Not to mention, they should've made sure that there were enough life jackets for everyone. The article did state that four crew members didn't wear life jackets because there wasn't enough and they wanted all the lifejackets to go to the passengers.

And that's what Chapter III of SOLAS covers, Life-saving appliances and arrangements. If ferry boats like that had to abide by SOLAS there would have been regular inspections of the boat in order to see if all life vests and boats were in working condition. They would have found out way sooner that they were low on life vests and done something about it because you have the life vests available for the max number of passengers on the boat. This makes me wonder if the captain even went through where the life vests were on that ferry because at the very least they're supposed to do that per any local regulations.

Dangerous Friend

16,040 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I understand that people will do anything to survive but so many people gave their lives to save others. Is it an valid excuse to abandon hundreds of people for your own safety? How could you just leave when you know there are students on board...just kids who were expecting a good time. I wonder how the captain will live with the weight of his mistake?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Chibi Halo
Teabo Milk Tea
Chibi Halo
Kaiser Khorosho

And that's what Chapter III of SOLAS covers, Life-saving appliances and arrangements. If ferry boats like that had to abide by SOLAS there would have been regular inspections of the boat in order to see if all life vests and boats were in working condition. They would have found out way sooner that they were low on life vests and done something about it because you have the life vests available for the max number of passengers on the boat. This makes me wonder if the captain even went through where the life vests were on that ferry because at the very least they're supposed to do that per any local regulations.

Why are ferries exempt from compliance with SOLAS?

Time-traveling Senshi

Ratttking
Why are ferries exempt from compliance with SOLAS?

From the way I read it most chapters in SOLAS deal with sea fearing vessels that make international travel and not locally traveling vessels. It's more for large cruise ships and merchant vessels that sail between countries and continents. The reason SOLAS exists has been mentioned in this very thread, the Titanic disaster. It was because they lacked the appropriate number of life boats, life vests, and proper continuous radio watches that the treaty in 1914 was first adopted. However, it wasn't enforced until after the First World War. Chapter III doesn't apply to local ocean going vessels but they are not exempt from Chapter V - Safety of Navigation. Because all sea going vessels be it local or international are required to follow SOLAS V many countries have turned portions of SOLAS V into national laws. Anyone in violation of SOLAS V would then face legal proceedings, which I'm thinking might be the case with this ferry accident. However, we don't know if South Korea has national laws based on SOLAS V or not.

From other discussions I have been reading a Canadian Merchant Naval engineer has said that SOLAS requires on local ocean going vessels, like ferries and larger tour boats, a boat suitable for marshaling, which would be the life rafts the ship had. The debate has become whether or not there were enough of them and how they were tethered to the ship. Pretty much the question now is, it seems, would the crew have been able to release the life rafts fast enough.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff