Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adorable Fisher

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/closing-a-chapter--beloved-librarian-fired-following-reading-contest-controversy--185514741.html

It may be a quiet place, but the public library in Hudson Falls, New York (population: 6,927), is buzzing with drama these days, and the story has all the components of a good novel (albeit a novel set in a library, featuring librarians and a 9-year-old reading-contest winner as the main characters). That 9-year-old is Tyler Weaver — the self-proclaimed "king of the book club" and one of the library's most frequent visitors — who will be taking his book business elsewhere, now that a longtime library aide who stuck up for him in a contest controversy has been fired.

"The kids call her Gram. That makes it even worse," Tyler's mother, Katie Weaver, tells Yahoo Shine. "Gram" is Lita Casey, a library aide who spent 28 years working at the Hudson Falls Free Library. But Casey says that the library's board of trustees let her go without reason this week, a month after Casey defended Tyler, who won the library's summer reading contest, "Dig into Reading," for the fifth time by reading the most books in a six-week period.

"I’m not very happy. I was not ready to leave," Casey, who's also a former preschool teacher, tells Yahoo Shine. "I loved my job, and I loved the little kids."

Weaver explains that the library controversy started when she called the local newspaper, the Post-Star, asking if they would feature Tyler’s win in the paper. "I called the paper because I was proud of Tyler," she says, "not because I wanted to complain."

The publication then reached out to former library director Marie Gandron for a quote on Tyler's reading success. Instead of praising Tyler's effort, Gandron told The Post-Star that Tyler "hogs" the contest every year and he should "step aside." (And if you don't believe a grown woman would say these things about a little boy who reads a lot, check out the story the paper published.) "Other kids quit because they can't keep up," she told The Post-Star last month, adding that she planned to change the reading program's rules, suggesting they draw names out of a hat instead of awarding prizes, such as T-shirts, water bottles, and atlases, to kids who read the most books. (Gandron has not returned Yahoo Shine's request for comment.)

Disagreeing with Gandron's proposed rule changes, Casey stepped in and stood up for Tyler, who read an impressive 63 books in just six weeks, which made him the clear winner, fair and square. "I don't think it should be a lottery," Casey explains. They all had the same amount of time." The contest only requires kids to read 10 books to participate, and there is no word on how many books the runner-up logged.

And the plot thickens: According to Weaver, Gandron then left her position at the library, never having apologized to Tyler. Michael Herman, president of the library's board of trustees, confirmed to the Post-Star last week that Gandron was no longer employed by the library but wouldn't say whether she had been fired or quit.

According to Casey, a member of the library board called her Monday evening to let her know she'd been fired but wouldn't give her a reason. Casey, not surprisingly, is convinced that her firing is related to the controversy over the library's reading contest, but she hasn't been given a chance to speak with the board since and isn't happy about the whole thing. "I would say I don't deserve this. I don't know what it is. I wasn't going to quit with all of the flak," she says. (The librarian at Hudson Falls Free Library who answered Yahoo Shine's call said she could not comment on the situation, and Herman could not be reached for comment.)

Weaver doesn't agree with the board's decision, either, and points out that Casey has dedicated her life to encouraging kids to read. "I don’t know what the board was thinking," she says. "For them to let her go and not give her a reason, that's wrong. Someone who stands up for kids, stands up for what's right — those are the kinds of people I want in my kids' lives."

Casey says she's received many calls of support, but she won't be frequenting the Hudson Falls Free Library anymore. "I'm going to miss it," she says. This story could have a happy ending, though: If there's an opening at a nearby library's children's room, she'll happily begin a new chapter there. And Weaver says that she, Tyler, and a few other families will be following suit. "We'll be going to another library with her," she says. Why? The answer is simple, according to Weaver: "She's so sweet."

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
The fact that all these adults saw no problem with basically bribing kids to read instead of encouraging them to read for the joy of reading makes me think they should all get the boot. Sweet lil "Gram" included.

Kawaii Shoujo

Sometimes I gotta ask myself... what's this world coming to when people who try to do good for their community are the ones whom are being punished? Like the woman who provides free lunch to the children of a poor neighborhood or this librarian whom is encouraging children to read?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Malee
The fact that all these adults saw no problem with basically bribing kids to read instead of encouraging them to read for the joy of reading makes me think they should all get the boot. Sweet lil "Gram" included.
Seeing as the minimum for the contest was ten. I don't think Tyler needed a bribe.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Malee

I work with kids as a sub-teacher. Trust me. A lot of kids won't read for the joy of reading. A lot of kids would rather watch cartoons or play video games, not that there is anything wrong with those hobbies.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

The ********? A contest winner ought to be the best performer of the contest. For a "read the most books" contest to turn into a game of chance just says "We don't care about your effort, just do the minimum." It's asking for mediocrity! We need to embrace excellence in our culture, not bare minimums!

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Sentient Viral
The ********? A contest winner ought to be the best performer of the contest. For a "read the most books" contest to turn into a game of chance just says "We don't care about your effort, just do the minimum." It's asking for mediocrity! We need to embrace excellence in our culture, not bare minimums!

Agreed . . . though, I can almost see their point about how this one kid seems to skew the competition, and thus rather defeats the purpose of the contest, since the whole point was to get kids into reading, but wouldn't a better alternative be to scale the prizes? I mean, even the Olympics awards down to Bronze, and nobody would reasonably accuse them of pushing mediocrity.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

Agreed . . . though, I can almost see their point about how this one kid seems to skew the competition, and thus rather defeats the purpose of the contest, since the whole point was to get kids into reading, but wouldn't a better alternative be to scale the prizes? I mean, even the Olympics awards down to Bronze, and nobody would reasonably accuse them of pushing mediocrity.
That's an idea, have more than just a "top placer" prize. The raffle idea though, ugh. Could you imagine if Football playoffs, or your example the Olympics came down to that?
"Yes, Kenya, I know your runner was the absolute fastest out of the bunch, but just to be fair to Japan and Canada we're going to have a raffle for the gold medal instead."

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Sentient Viral
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

That's an idea, have more than just a "top placer" prize. The raffle idea though, ugh. Could you imagine if Football playoffs, or your example the Olympics came down to that?
"Yes, Kenya, I know your runner was the absolute fastest out of the bunch, but just to be fair to Japan and Canada we're going to have a raffle for the gold medal instead."

Sport as we know it would cease to be.

Though, it might get more people into actually organizing and playing in teams and leagues in their free time, since spectating would become sheer tedium.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

Though, it might get more people into actually organizing and playing in teams and leagues in their free time, since spectating would become sheer tedium.
But spectators is where sports get their revenue. If the spectator crowd is gone, it would cease to be an industry. So instead of just ceasing to be like we know it, it could just cease to be. Of course, talking in hypothetical possibilities.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Sentient Viral
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

But spectators is where sports get their revenue. If the spectator crowd is gone, it would cease to be an industry. So instead of just ceasing to be like we know it, it could just cease to be. Of course, talking in hypothetical possibilities.

From the hypothetical possibilities, though . . . should it become boring to the spectators, it might encourage those spectators to instead become hobbyists, and thus drive the "Monday Night Football" crowd to turn to starting their own neighborhood games of an evening, since it's become so boring to watch.

Pick-up games might very well spring up to fill in the gap left by professional competition, and we might see a revival in people competing rather than spectating . . . it could well be glorious.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

From the hypothetical possibilities, though . . . should it become boring to the spectators, it might encourage those spectators to instead become hobbyists, and thus drive the "Monday Night Football" crowd to turn to starting their own neighborhood games of an evening, since it's become so boring to watch.

Pick-up games might very well spring up to fill in the gap left by professional competition, and we might see a revival in people competing rather than spectating . . . it could well be glorious.
Hmmm... which will win out? The laziness of the former spectator (who would just find something else to watch) or the passion for the game of the former spectator (which could actually lead to more people getting in shape)

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
If those were the kind of rules I would see for a contest, that stroke of bad luck would discourage anyone from putting out a lot of effort because all of that effort would result to nothing and nobody likes that kind of chance.

An example? Art shows. There are no random drawings here, but certain art styles and media never win. I put hours into my entries and they always lose because the judges thought I copy/pasted my work. From that, I never bothered to enter any art show unless there's equality for all styles and media (the only things that should be judged are anatomy and balance).

In this situation, Tyler would flat out stop reading because, according to him, there would be no point in putting so much effort in reading a lot of books if there's no deserved praise at the end.
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

I think I'll subscribe to your idea about scaled prices too.

Besides, tying in with your sport allegory (which I admittedly skimmed), isn't there different classes/levels in sports? Junior league and whatever the adult version is called comes to mind but obviously sports isn't exactly my subject.

What I'm getting at is putting the contest in scales so that there's, for example, a 10-30 books prize group, a 30-50 books price group and a 50+ book price group. The lower price group would have smaller prices but the kids would still feel that they get something for their effort even if the every year winner still get first pick.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The__Dividender
Keltoi Samurai
Sentient Viral

I think I'll subscribe to your idea about scaled prices too.

Besides, tying in with your sport allegory (which I admittedly skimmed), isn't there different classes/levels in sports? Junior league and whatever the adult version is called comes to mind but obviously sports isn't exactly my subject.

What I'm getting at is putting the contest in scales so that there's, for example, a 10-30 books prize group, a 30-50 books price group and a 50+ book price group. The lower price group would have smaller prices but the kids would still feel that they get something for their effort even if the every year winner still get first pick.

I was thinking more just making it a "1st, 2nd and 3rd" place system.

Good prize for third, better prize for second, best prize for first.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff