Welcome to Gaia! ::

Will you vote in this year's Gaia Presidential Election?

Of course I will! It is my duty as a member of the D-Party! 0.64392324093817 64.4% [ 604 ]
Nah. My vote doesn't matter! 0.085287846481876 8.5% [ 80 ]
I am undecided. 0.27078891257996 27.1% [ 254 ]
Total Votes:[ 938 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 33 34 > >>

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli

Source: I am one semester away from having a masters degree in botany
I wanted to quote this separate from the debate. The pizza debate made me think of the tomato thing. Which just makes me laugh. I mostly listed things found in my garden lol. Though I did spend a summer on a pea farm taking them from the vines for the family that ran the company. That was fun. What school are you going to? I think that would be a fun degree to go for. What are your plans for it?
I go to a state school, and I'm not really sure what I am going to do! I sort of fell into this bby accident! I wanted to do insect stuff haha

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
no, the definition of a fruit is that it holds the seeds of the plant. A vegetable is when you eat the other parts. So with lettuce, you eat the leaves. With celery, you eat the stalk. With carrots you eat the root.

All the things you listed are the fruit that surround the seeds to the plant. All the things you listed as vegetables are actually fruit.

It's also said that only vegetables grow on vines yet grapes are a fruit. And by your definition all fruits are also vegitables because an apple holds the seeds of the plant but you also eat the other parts. And what about bananas? There's no seeds there. Pumpkins are wildly sourced are vegetables, whereas tomatoes are wildly debated; due to the seeds vs vines debate.
I don't know who told you only vegetables grow on vines, but they are wrong!

Bananas do hold seeds too. They are just really small.

Pumpkin is the fruit around the seeds of the pumpkin.

Like the best way to think about what is a fruit is by looking at the plant before the fruit forms. Fruits form from the flowering part of the plant.

Tomatoes and pumpkins form from the flower on the plant!

The same can be said of the other vine fruits!

aemperatrix's Sweetheart

Beloved Fairy

49,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Hassli
mayuralover
Hassli
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PINEAPPLES DON'T BELONG ON PIZZA

People who order pineapple on Pizza just do it so nobody else will eat their pizza. They want the cheesy goodness for themselves and it is not fair. If you think you can protect your pizza by putting pineapples on it, you are wrong. I will eat that pizza first. I don't even like pineapple, but I like Pizza and I am going to eat it.

Pineapple doesn't go on pizza. I will fight you.

PINEAPPLES DO BELONG ON PIZZA

Ooooh, then let's get at it!!! Pineapples provide a sweet and acidic compliment to the greasiness that is pizza. You could only eat MORE pizza because the acidity of the pineapples is fighting against the oil and grease. yum_pizza

I don't want my pizza to taste like dessert!
not all pineapples are sweet! young pineapples are sometimes bland (good for stews) or just sour (also good for stews....don't ask me why on earth the Vietnamese make soups with pineapple in them..... OTL)

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
mayuralover
Hassli
mayuralover
Hassli
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PINEAPPLES DON'T BELONG ON PIZZA

People who order pineapple on Pizza just do it so nobody else will eat their pizza. They want the cheesy goodness for themselves and it is not fair. If you think you can protect your pizza by putting pineapples on it, you are wrong. I will eat that pizza first. I don't even like pineapple, but I like Pizza and I am going to eat it.

Pineapple doesn't go on pizza. I will fight you.

PINEAPPLES DO BELONG ON PIZZA

Ooooh, then let's get at it!!! Pineapples provide a sweet and acidic compliment to the greasiness that is pizza. You could only eat MORE pizza because the acidity of the pineapples is fighting against the oil and grease. yum_pizza

I don't want my pizza to taste like dessert!
not all pineapples are sweet! young pineapples are sometimes bland (good for stews) or just sour (also good for stews....don't ask me why on earth the Vietnamese make soups with pineapple in them..... OTL)
interesting, but I don't want sour pizza either haha
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli

I wanted to quote this separate from the debate. The pizza debate made me think of the tomato thing. Which just makes me laugh. I mostly listed things found in my garden lol. Though I did spend a summer on a pea farm taking them from the vines for the family that ran the company. That was fun. What school are you going to? I think that would be a fun degree to go for. What are your plans for it?
I go to a state school, and I'm not really sure what I am going to do! I sort of fell into this bby accident! I wanted to do insect stuff haha
I've heard of that degree, but I can't remember what a bug expert is. I do a lot with herbs and essential oils.

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli

I've heard of that degree, but I can't remember what a bug expert is. I do a lot with herbs and essential oils.
that's cool! I worked an internship with an entomologist and I really liked catching bugs and doing research on them. But, here I am doing plants now haha
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
no, the definition of a fruit is that it holds the seeds of the plant. A vegetable is when you eat the other parts. So with lettuce, you eat the leaves. With celery, you eat the stalk. With carrots you eat the root.

All the things you listed are the fruit that surround the seeds to the plant. All the things you listed as vegetables are actually fruit.

It's also said that only vegetables grow on vines yet grapes are a fruit. And by your definition all fruits are also vegitables because an apple holds the seeds of the plant but you also eat the other parts. And what about bananas? There's no seeds there. Pumpkins are wildly sourced are vegetables, whereas tomatoes are wildly debated; due to the seeds vs vines debate.

Like the best way to think about what is a fruit is by looking at the plant before the fruit forms. Fruits form from the flowering part of the plant.

Books, the internet, teachers, popular opinion.... It's the same as the argument for tomatoes being fruit and being a vegetable. There are people on both sides. My argument still stands that you eat the other part, like you said on vegetables. You need seeds for all of them and eat all of them. That part of the argument is a moot point. Hey I just thought of a new topic too lol. Potatoes you use pieces of the potato, not seeds. But alas, back to the argument, tomatoes are a vegetable because the pizza places say so. rofl
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli

that's cool! I worked an internship with an entomologist and I really liked catching bugs and doing research on them. But, here I am doing plants now haha
I have to ask, is your information on pumpkins etc factual or just part of a fun debate?

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli

I have to ask, is your information on pumpkins etc factual or just part of a fun debate?
lol

It's 100% factual haha

Pumpkins are fruits!

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli

Books, the internet, teachers, popular opinion.... It's the same as the argument for tomatoes being fruit and being a vegetable. There are people on both sides. My argument still stands that you eat the other part, like you said on vegetables. You need seeds for all of them and eat all of them. That part of the argument is a moot point. Hey I just thought of a new topic too lol. Potatoes you use pieces of the potato, not seeds. But alas, back to the argument, tomatoes are a vegetable because the pizza places say so. rofl
Potato plants have seeds too lol, but it's easier to cut the root and plant clones.

King Bunny

20,775 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Hassli
ashlex_in_pearl
User Image

EASTER BUNNY FOR PREZ 2016
he didn't register early enough for a write in campaign!

Touché
Hassli
lol

It's 100% factual haha

Pumpkins are fruits!
I ent in to edit but you had already replied. I found this from the Mayo Clinic, including what you said almost verbatim lol.

"The following are technically fruits: avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots)."

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
ashlex_in_pearl
Hassli
ashlex_in_pearl
User Image

EASTER BUNNY FOR PREZ 2016
he didn't register early enough for a write in campaign!

Touché
Maybe next time!

I will ask Diedrich if he has a place for the Easter Bunny in his cabinet. Last time I asked, he said it was full of canned soups, but maybe he has eated some of the soup to make room.

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Butterfly Bumps
Hassli
lol

It's 100% factual haha

Pumpkins are fruits!
I ent in to edit but you had already replied. I found this from the Mayo Clinic, including what you said almost verbatim lol.

"The following are technically fruits: avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots)."
Yeah! Science!

It's weird because when you think about fruits, you think about sweet stuff. But not all fruits are sweet! I thought peas were vegetables forever!
Hassli
Potato plants have seeds too lol, but it's easier to cut the root and plant clones.
That is what I was thinking of as a topic, do they have seeds or not. Or something on the reason for planting chunks of potatoes lol.

In the spirit of endless debating though- Tomatoes are a vegetable because they are in every recipe for vegetable soup and stew. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff