Welcome to Gaia! ::

Astaire
Pet The Baby!
Zero, I'm not putting you or the thread down when I saw this, but do you realize that you made a whole entire thread devoted to your squabbling?

Anyway, in a useless attempt to steer the topic back to poetry, how about that William Shakespeare?

Ah, sonnets. What pains in the a** to write. sweatdrop I have no idea how Shakespeare was able to write so many without the form driving him insane.

I find repetitive forms more difficult -- repetition is inherently weak, so it's blasted near impossible to keep something like a villanelle strong.

Which is probably why the paradelle came along. <snerk>
holy ghost EXPLOSION!
Hey look.

It's everything that this thread "stands against."

Was the wall not tall enough?

Or the words not quite bold-faced enough?

rofl

or do I just not give a damn enough? rofl

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Poetess Laureate
Astaire
Pet The Baby!
Zero, I'm not putting you or the thread down when I saw this, but do you realize that you made a whole entire thread devoted to your squabbling?

Anyway, in a useless attempt to steer the topic back to poetry, how about that William Shakespeare?

Ah, sonnets. What pains in the a** to write. sweatdrop I have no idea how Shakespeare was able to write so many without the form driving him insane.

I find repetitive forms more difficult -- repetition is inherently weak, so it's blasted near impossible to keep something like a villanelle strong.

Paradelle? I've heard of it, but I can't remember what it is...

Ah! Found it. http://web.njit.edu/~ronkowit/poetsonline/archive/archparadelle.html For anyone else who wants to read up on it.

Heh. That sounds like an interesting form to try, just for the hell of it; besides, if it's INTENTIONALLY supposed to be bad, it's not like you can go wrong! xd
Astaire
Poetess Laureate
Astaire
Pet The Baby!

Paradelle? I've heard of it, but I can't remember what it is...

Ah! Found it. http://web.njit.edu/~ronkowit/poetsonline/archive/archparadelle.html For anyone else who wants to read up on it.

Heh. That sounds like an interesting form to try, just for the hell of it; besides, if it's INTENTIONALLY supposed to be bad, it's not like you can go wrong! xd

I have a few of mine from ages ago I could dig out.

But, to be fair: while the form is indeed a PARODy of a villanELLE, it can be clever if done well. I like them -- I just think of them as a word jumble or word game instead of a poem.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Poetess Laureate

But, to be fair: while the form is indeed a PARODy of a villanELLE, it can be clever if done well. I like them -- I just think of them as a word jumble or word game instead of a poem.

I have a paradelle saved on my computer done by one of the members of this forum a long time ago (Cauli) that I thought was amazing. I believe that's when I first heard of the form. I imagine it must take a lot of patience to write, though, if you want do do a completely serious one.

Word-jumble poetry. I imagine there are two ways to do it:

1) Carefully craft it so that meaning shines through each jumble, or
2) Just write the lines and see what kind of messes you make. xd

Both sound interesting.
Might I just say that they ran out of steam rather quickly. eek

Also, it's nice to come back to a poetic discussion taking place.
Maybe someone will post a new piece, so we can take a crack at the style?
I wouldn't mind doing some writing, since I have a ton of inspiration for the day.
I love Frost's imagery. Although, most of the time it sounds repetitive. I've mentioned this earlier in the thread. smile

Just sayin'.
Astaire
Poetess Laureate

I have a paradelle saved on my computer done by one of the members of this forum a long time ago (Cauli) that I thought was amazing. I believe that's when I first heard of the form. I imagine it must take a lot of patience to write, though, if you want do do a completely serious one.

Word-jumble poetry. I imagine there are two ways to do it:

1) Carefully craft it so that meaning shines through each jumble, or
2) Just write the lines and see what kind of messes you make. xd

Both sound interesting.

Word jumbles are the shiznit.
zero the last decepticon

You really can't resist the urge to trip and land face-first in s**t, can you?

A smarter man wouldn't EGG ON the people he was so eager to get rid of. But I imagine you just love the attention - because, of course, this topic's not about the poetry. =P
Oxxidation-12
zero the last decepticon

A smarter man wouldn't EGG ON the people he was so eager to get rid of. But I imagine you just love the attention - because, of course, this topic's not about the poetry. =P

Are you still talking?
zero the last decepticon
Oxxidation-12
zero the last decepticon

Are you still talking?

Is that all you can come up with?
I ********' love you. You started this thread with the Tao Of Now. F.N.A.
Woah. It's `Che.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
`Kira
I love Frost's imagery. Although, most of the time it sounds repetitive. I've mentioned this earlier in the thread. smile

Just sayin'.

I always liked the poem "Fire and Ice" because I also hold with those who favor fire. heart Besides, the rhythm and sound of that poem is so airtight... it's amazing.

I think I would appreciate "The Road Not Taken" a lot more if I didn't have to read it every single year of middle school/high school in English class. sweatdrop

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Okay. I'm thinkin' we should try a new poet, since I personally never did well with slam.

Basically, I want to make this paradelle challenge official. The poet in question is Billy Collins. The inspiration for the challenge, however, was Poetess Laureate, so much love to her. heart

A paradelle is basically a parody of a villanelle; the form was invented by Collins himself, who detested form poetry. The idea is this:

The poem must have four stanzas: the first three stanzas must have two lines (both repeated once) And then two additional lines, taking the words from these two repeated lines and combining them into two entirely different lines. Finally, the fourth stanza is an amalgamation of the three previous stanzas, using all the words from the previous lines to make a six-line final stanza.

Not easy, but I think it might be fun.

So, here's Collins himself to show us how it's done:

Paradelle for Susan

I remember the quick, nervous bird of your love.
I remember the quick, nervous bird of your love.
Always perched on the thinnest, highest branch.
Always perched on the thinnest, highest branch.
Thinnest love, remember the quick branch.
Always nervous, I perched on your highest bird the.

It is time for me to cross the mountain.
It is time for me to cross the mountain.
And find another shore to darken with my pain.
And find another shore to darken with my pain.
Another pain for me to darken the mountain.
And find the time, cross my shore, to with it is to.

The weather warm, the handwriting familiar.
The weather warm, the handwriting familiar.
Your letter flies from my hand into the waters below.
Your letter flies from my hand into the waters below.
The familiar waters below my warm hand.
Into handwriting your weather flies you letter the from the.

I always cross the highest letter, the thinnest bird.
Below the waters of my warm familiar pain,
Another hand to remember your handwriting.
The weather perched for me on the shore.
Quick, your nervous branch flew from love.
Darken the mountain, time and find was my into it was with to to.

And here is the explanation of paradelles invented by Collins himself (which means that it is not to be taken seriously smile

NOTE: The paradelle is one of the more demanding French fixed forms, first appearing in the langue d’oc love poetry of the eleventh century. It is a poem of four six-line stanzas in which the first and second lines, as well as the third and fourth lines of the first three stanzas, must be identical. The fifth and sixth lines, which traditionally resolve these stanzas, must use all the words from the preceding lines and only those words. Similarly, the final stanza must use every word from all the preceding stanzas and only those words.

For more on the paradelle, read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradelle

(Source: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/zoebrigley/entry/billy_collins_paradelle/)

Thanks again for the idea, PL. heart I'm going to try my hand at one of these monsters, but I have no idea when it will be ready. sweatdrop Ah, well. Nothing like a challenge!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff