Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Codger

11,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
I've been feeling pretty useless and lonely this week myself.

Aeschylus's Husband

Aged Loiterer

10,525 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Loiterer 100
*stares at other posts in between mine* cat_3nodding
Mah fish are dead.

Original Gaian

20,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Champion 300
  • Timid 100
*hugs the lobbiers* heart

Hope the feeling goes away soon!

Kawaii Sweetheart

13,000 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Mark Twain 100
Ashelus
*stares at other posts in between mine* cat_3nodding
Mah fish are dead.

*taps on fishtank*

Wake up fishies!!!

Beloved Codger

11,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
Autumn
*hugs the lobbiers* heart

Hope the feeling goes away soon!
heart

Beloved Codger

11,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100

Original Gaian

20,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Champion 300
  • Timid 100

V.E.O.'s Significant Otter

@Autumn: That's awesome that you have good clients. 3nodding I can understand why it would be uncomfortable if they were asking questions like that; I'd be the same way. As for the moaning, yeah, I'm sure I'd be unable to contain my laughter. xd Especially if they were really over-doing it and it just sounded plain ridiculous like, "What are you doing?"

Sounds like you've got it all figured out with the sister-in-law. Hopefully she gets a job soon and can move out by the deadline. She should know how to take care of herself and it's refreshing to see you guys pushing her in the right direction instead of enabling her. My step-brother (who is around the same age as me) is a drifter who bums a meal/night off anyone he can. Not total strangers, mind, but people he barely knows and with family/friends. He always talks about settling down and getting a job, but never does. He just kind of reminds me of your sister-in-law. And no one other than my dad has ever stepped up to say anything to him. So he's not welcome at my dad/step mother's house anymore. I'm surprised he hasn't hit me up for a stay, but maybe it's a pride thing, even though he begs to stay with others. Doesn't really make sense. But anyway, I ramble! Glad you guys are doing something to stop the enabling. 3nodding

@CB: *hugs hugs* It's hard being an art graduate, isn't it? I always feel for my sister when I see her unable to get art-related jobs as well. Why the hell did a graduate school reject you for lack of field experience? Isn't the point of grad school to get more experience so you can get a job in the first place? Jeez... that's just awful, especially when you had an internship under your belt. Is there another school that might be a better option? Not that you should stop trying with that school or anything, just asking to see if you could expand other options, which I'm sure you've looked at as well. *hugs*

My sister was able to find a pretty good job teaching art to a small class of students in a program that was part of the local college where she lives. She taught there for about 6 months and loved it... until they finally did a background check on her (which they were supposed to do when she started, but they put it off) and she was fired because of her minor DWI a few years ago. She wasn't even drunk, she got stopped at a checkpoint on her way home and blew over. She never thought she'd lose her job over something that stupid, let alone after working there 6 months. She's now a vet technician at an all-cat clinic, which she loves, but I know she does miss the art as well. I'm hoping the best for both of you; it's rough out there trying to do what you like to do for a living. Just hold on to hope and don't give up! <3

@Ane: *hugs hugs* How are you these days?

Sorry for such a late reply to all of this, my Thanksgiving was pretty hectic and I've been preparing my apartment for the winter the last week. Won't be long until Christmas is here and things will pick up to being really busy again. xd

*hugs to all*

Hmm... I'm not being very evil, huh?

*evil hugs to all?* twisted

Dapper Deckhand

Yay! I am glad you are back; was starting to get worried you would abruptly vanish again, for another several years. crying

And you come bearing evil hugs! 4laugh Yessssss

Wait, I mean, ohgod please no not the evil hugs gonk

And yeah, I wish I could apply to different schools, but there are only two major art conservation programs in the US, and the other school has even more strict requirements than the one that rejected me. ._. There's also a school in Canada, and a handful in Europe- I think I'm going to apply to one in London this year as well, just for the heck of it. No idea how I'd pay for it if I actually got in, but maybe I could get an international scholarship of some sort? rofl I don't know... I knew it was a competitive field, but I made the mistake of thinking my awesome GPA would make me a contender. Silly me. rolleyes

My thoughts exactly about the stupid field experience requirement, though. And all the internships available are unpaid! How the heck am I supposed to survive on a full-time unpaid internship?! Blargh.

Seriously considering saying to hell with it all and getting a Comp Sci/Programming degree somewhere, but that's opening up a whole other can of worms. Do I stay here, do I go to a school somewhere I'm more likely to find a job after, do I really want to abandon a decade of my life and turn my back on all the support I've gotten from instructors and supervisors, aaaaargh

I would make a terrible teacher, but do you mind if I ask how your sister become a vet tech? surprised That sounds way more interesting (and rewarding) than retail drudgery. I always thought those kind of positions required at least some specialization, but if she was able to do it with an art degree, maybe it's something I could also look into. I am actually perfectly okay with not doing art stuff full-time; the wonderful thing about being an artist is that no matter what I am doing for a day job, I never cease being an artist. It is always just a pen and paper away. whee
I'm alive, Shay; good days, bad days, in-between. Same as ever.

Aeschylus's Husband

Aged Loiterer

10,525 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Loiterer 100
*pokes fishies with a stick* cat_3nodding

Aeschylus's Husband

Aged Loiterer

10,525 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Loiterer 100
Murray Christmas, everyone!
PS - No one will believe you.

Aeschylus's Husband

Aged Loiterer

10,525 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Loiterer 100

V.E.O.'s Significant Otter

*provides more evil hugs* twisted

Oh wow, I never realized there were only 2 schools here in the US for that. I wish you the best of luck with the London one and the potential for an international scholarship. You never know, right? And yeah, GPA doesn't seem to matter much for many things anymore... it's pretty sad.

Unpaid internships are the absolute worst. I remember not being able to get one in college during summer. Sad when free help is turned down; makes you wonder how truly awful the economy really is.

Computer science is usually a safe field, but giving up on your hope of being in an art-related field... that's a tough one. You've put in a lot of hard work and effort for this, but the uncertainty that comes behind not knowing whether or not it will land you a job or into a nice college is an awful thing to experience. To avoid sugar-coating things for you (good advice would be to be honest) - who is to say that you'll be able to get a job even after going through one of these art conservation programs? I guess the best person to ask would be a mentor. Do you know a like-minded, older person with experience in what you want to do that you can just sit down and talk with? You said your supervisors and instructors were supportive, but is there anyone you can really talk to one-on-one about things more in depth? They may be able to help you decide what you truly want to do with your life. Not make the decision for you, of course, but hopefully just lay some foundation for you to choose your path. I know you've probably already thought of this before, but no harm in throwing it out there.

My sister volunteered at an animal shelter for cats and dogs (she worked with the cats mostly) for about a year, where she helped give vaccinations to newly adopted cats and just helped out with the general care-taking of them. She's always had a profound love for cats since we grew up with many in our lives, so she loved volunteering at the shelter whenever she could. Once she was fired from her teaching job, she went back to freelancing commercial art for a bit, but couldn't find any clients because all she ever got was requests to program websites instead of just designing them. She saw an opening for a vet tech assistant at an all-cat clinic and thought she'd be perfect for the job, so she applied. The position didn't require a degree and she had just the right qualifications since she had already been experienced to giving vaccinations to cats. She was hired August 2011 and still works there now. 3nodding I think she got pretty lucky with that, though, as most clinics would have required some sort of medical degree for it.

Yeah, you're exactly right. You don't need an art job to be considered an artist - you already are one! Hopefully you can get out of retail eventually, though; no one should have to endure that awfulness. Well, unless they like it, of course... some people do. But I can tell you're miserable and you deserve better. *hugs hugs!*

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, by the way! And an early Happy Near Year to all!

Original Gaian

20,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Champion 300
  • Timid 100
Ashelus
Murray Christmas, everyone!
PS - No one will believe you.

But... the pictures!!! gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items