Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Lunatic

EDIT: I know Superior is over now and such so the rant below is outdated officially. Feel free to continue to use this thread to talk about any Spider-Man news and concerns though!

Hey guys, I'll start by saying I'm a long time reader of comics. I started when I was a young kid and saw an issue of Ultimate Spider-Man on the shelf. I'm pretty sure I started around issue #20 and was immdiately hooked. From there I devoured almost anything I coul get my hands on to at least give it a shot, but ultimately (no pun intended), my favorite hero of all time remained Spider-Man.

I've read (almost) every Spidey book in publication. I've read Noir, 2099, Amazing, Ultimate, Ultimate Comics, and more recently, Superior, and I've gotta say Spidey is in a weird place right now in the comics world.

[there are a lot of spoilers below for anyone not knowledgeable about Spidey that haven't read or would like to read it without any info. be forewarned.]

First of all, they killed Petey off in Ultimate, which I was initially a little nervous about. After all, Ultimate Spidey is possibly my favorite variation outside of Amazing, and they needed someone big to fill his shoes. Miles Morales seemed odd as a new Spidey to me because of his age, just 13, but after a few adventures and a skip one year into the future, I was on board with it and I like where it's going. But then I took a look at Amazing Spider-man (or rather, i should say Superior now.). And to my shock I find that Peter is dead in Amazing too. I mean, I'm not a huge stickler for tradition, but how can you possibly have Amazing Spider-man without Peter??

It doesn't make sense. After all, there's 700 issues of Parker backstory that you would be just throwing away and starting from scratch. And not only did they kill him off, but they've replaced him with Octavius??

So I gave superior a chance and I've caught up to the current issue (#20) and I've got to say I'm worried about spidey now. I've never disliked reading about him more. part of the allure, the spark, of Spider-Man was Peter Parker struggling to balance his personal life with his super alter ego. now, Doc Ock basically ignores everything he doesn't feel like dealing with and approaches everything (predictably) like a villain trapped in Peter's body. I thought maybe he would change over the course of the 20 issues I read, but he remains the same arrogant, mostly evil person that he started as. There's no lighthearted jokester. No struggle. Just a conceited old guy inside the body of a young guy, ******** it all up. Worse yet, marvel insists they aren't going to backdoor out of this one.

But at least Ultimate Spidey exists still... right??

But of course, as I read Cataclysm, I realized, it might not be around much longer. Bendis has stated that cataclysm might be the end of ultimate universe for good as Galactus and Gah Lak Tus (the ultimate version) threaten to engulf most of the universe and leave the rest crippled. I'm not sure what to think. I was JUST starting to get behind Miles as a hero, and now his story and publication might be completely finished in a few short issues.

And what's left behind is a Peter Parker-less Spider-man, across every publication. Now, I would understand if there were at least ONE comic I could pick up and enjoy Parker's signature attitude and view of life, but at this point, it looks like Parker might be gone for good from the franchise, at least for the next few years.

I've never felt so disheartened, and disconnected, from my favorite hero.

So I've made my lengthy, lengthy rant. Thoughts? How do you guys feel about the new Spidey runs and where his character is moving? Sometimes I feel crazy like I'm the only one who hates this new direction from Marvel. I'm wondering if I'm right to feel that way.

Witty Lunatic

This made me shed tears of joy. Peter is (Hopefully) Coming back!

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/will-peter-parker-return-this-year/1100-147856/

I too was really worried about superior, and keeping up with the series reaffirmed my worries.
every issue has something that makes me sad or angry, mostly because I can't stand Otto as a character as it is, and that's made so much worse when he's essentially wearing peter parkers corpse and screwing with everything and always gloating about how he's more "superior"

After one more day a lot of people complained because they didn't even know who peter was anymore as a character, and yet most of those people jumped right on board with superior, wich baffled me.

I've been a long time spider-fan (hell I learned to read from my uncle's spider-man comics) and im hoping this new ASM #1 marks the return of Peter in his rightful place.

Witty Lunatic

Conservative Genius

I was never a fan of the idea to "kill" Peter in Amazing Spider-Man but I still sat down and gave it a try. Don't like Superior at all. Sure Doc Ock Spidey is doing things that Peter rightfully should be doing with his powers but he doesn't act any different. Just...Doc Ock trying to be good and being an a*****e at it.
I do like the new costume though, even if it does just further the "I'm Doc Ock in a spiderman costume" thing.

Ultimate Spider-Man is my preferred incarnation. I haven't had a single moment where I was disappointed in it. Unlike majority of the rest of the Ultimate Universe. But there's no need to worry about whether or not it is going to continue. Cataclysm is just being used to relaunch the universe again, this time as "Ultimate Marvel NOW!" to fit with the main universe being "Marvel NOW!".

"All New Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" is going to be called "Mile Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man" and joining it will be "Ultimate FF" (Future Foundation. Not Fantastic Four), which is a team made up of Invisible Woman, Iron Man, Machine Man, and Falcon.
As well as "All New Ultimates" which is a team consisting of Spider-Man, Cloak, Dagger, Bombshell, Kitty Pryde, and Black Widow (who is just Spider-Woman with a new name).

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/the-fate-of-the-ultimate-universe-revealed-updated/1100-147869/

Witty Lunatic

Well I'm glad that at the very least they announced they would continue the Ultimate line. I too have never been TRULY disappointed in the Ultimate line. Like many fans I was a little hesitant to see Pete die off but Miles was a good replacement after the one year time skip. It'll be interesting to see him as part of The Avengers and teamed up with Bombshell and Kitty Pryde. I guess that doesn't bode well for Kitty's team during the Cataclysm event...
You do realize Peter's coming back, right?

Witty Lunatic

Captain Talavar

Nothing has been explicitly stated to that effect there's just an announcement of a return to The Amazing Spider-Man as the book title. I mean hopefully what that mean is yeah, they're bringing him back this year, but until it actually happens nobody can know for sure. It could just be Doc Ock gaining some humility or something and "realizing he wasn't so superior after all" and returning to the old comic book title symbolically.

Witty Lunatic

Captain Talavar

Oh s**t nvm I just read an article published on Jan 12 where Dan Slott has essentially revealed it. Thank god..

9,775 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
well if u havent heard the news already Peter Parker is coming back
Miles is still alive. I thought cataclysm meant the end of the ultimate universe and looks like they survived too

Dangerous Rogue

10,750 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
Ending Ultimate Universe?
OH HELL NAH!!

I completely agree with your statement, I mean when they've first killed off Peter in Ultimate I was initially heartbroken due to the massive amount of potential the emphasis of his character had scientifically. His death as a martyr was very well executed and respected, and Miles Morales holds up the mantle well with his own great share of problems.

I mean originally I feared that Miles Morales replacing Peter was sign that Marvel has now gone to the point of ethnically circle jerking their characters to bring a more young multi-ethnic audience; around instead of highlighting their already well written heroes of color. Gladly I was wrong, Miles Morels Ultimate Spider-Man is by far one of my most favorite iteration of the Spider-Man name and it was done excellently.

Superior Spider-Man on the other hand was completely another issue. While I won't say it is not the most interesting idea, it was by far the most disrespectfully executed one I've seen so far, and it's not like they've captured lightning in a bottle with Peter's death in Ultimate, so I don't see why they could make Otto transition into Peter a very well written and meaningful one. For an iconic issue like 700, Quesada and Slott had no problem doing the dirty deed in order for this series to exist and to be honest as a fan, it shows how little our input and fandom cares as much as our wallets do.

Not gonna lie SSM is a decently well written series, but as far shocking reveals go. There's not enough substance beyond seeing how far Otto is going to take it, and when it's going to inevitably blow up in his face. I like the concept more when written in other SSM based iterations like Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team Up (Stupid title), Avengers, Mighty Avengers and so on, and sadly more so than it's own title. When other writers are doing your idea better, in my opinion THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!

With ASM2 coming around and Marvel finally bringing back Peter in ASM#1 it clearly shows me where Marvel's interests are in the moment, and while financially it makes sense. I've lost a great deal of respect for their staff, more so even more pissed that Venom and Scarlet Spider are no more.

Dangerous Rogue

10,750 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
Ryasha K Akiyama
I was never a fan of the idea to "kill" Peter in Amazing Spider-Man but I still sat down and gave it a try. Don't like Superior at all. Sure Doc Ock Spidey is doing things that Peter rightfully should be doing with his powers but he doesn't act any different. Just...Doc Ock trying to be good and being an a*****e at it.
I do like the new costume though, even if it does just further the "I'm Doc Ock in a spiderman costume" thing.

Ultimate Spider-Man is my preferred incarnation. I haven't had a single moment where I was disappointed in it. Unlike majority of the rest of the Ultimate Universe. But there's no need to worry about whether or not it is going to continue. Cataclysm is just being used to relaunch the universe again, this time as "Ultimate Marvel NOW!" to fit with the main universe being "Marvel NOW!".

"All New Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" is going to be called "Mile Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man" and joining it will be "Ultimate FF" (Future Foundation. Not Fantastic Four), which is a team made up of Invisible Woman, Iron Man, Machine Man, and Falcon.
As well as "All New Ultimates" which is a team consisting of Spider-Man, Cloak, Dagger, Bombshell, Kitty Pryde, and Black Widow (who is just Spider-Woman with a new name).

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/the-fate-of-the-ultimate-universe-revealed-updated/1100-147869/

Den-O once again you've made me a very happy man. emotion_kirakira

Witty Lunatic

spidey has been dead to me since his deal with the devil
Watching Octavius try to be the better Spidey is kind of hilarious because he's so arrogant. I think they just did it to shake things up a bit. Also, like they were testing out the idea of getting rid of Peter Parker and replacing him with a new Spidey for quite some time.

Seems like when there was a huge backlash about Miles (though it was in a different AU) and then Octavius killing Peter, they realized they'd lose a lot of fans if they got rid of him permanently. I think that's part of the reason why they decided to keep Peter around. They may have not intended to kill him permanently though. You know how comic book deaths are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff