Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS THREAD IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Feel free to post but please keep that in mind!

I encourage everyone to share their own resources but I'm going to establish a few rules first, in the interest of maintaining the quality of the links on this thread.

wahmbulance Please do NOT link to: wahmbulance
- Step by step tutorials for drawing in a specific style
- Dragoart
- Manga University/How to Draw Manga stuff
- Speedpaints and other similar things on Youtube/vimeo/whatever
- Posemaniacs

Also, this should go without saying, but don't link to PDFs of books that are not in the public domain and do not post links or information about how to get commercial software for free, unless it's legitimate (shareware, etc).

wahmbulance If you are linking to a book then use the same format I'm using, including a description and sample pages. I am not going to format your post for you and it will not be included if you don't format it properly. I'm trying to keep things organized.

I definitely need tutorials and links so please do share what you have, but keep in mind that I will not include your links on this post if I feel they're sub par or inadequate. Don't take it personally if you don't see your link here -- I'm just trying to make sure that I am only posting the best resources I possibly can.

Everything organized into categories and subcategories for easy browsing.

wahmbulance PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE ARTISTIC NUDITY IN MANY OF THESE LINKS. wahmbulance

Drawing
The fundamentals
Anatomy
Anatomy for the Artist - sample page
Book description: "Using superb, specially commissioned photographs of male and female models, together with historical and contemporary works of art, and her own illustrations, Sarah shows us how to see inside the human frame, to map its muscle groups, skeletal strength, balance, poise, and grace. Selected drawing superimposed over photographs reveal fascinating relationships between external appearance and internal structure. "
My opinion: I ******** love this book and wish I could have sex with it.

Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist - sample page and another
Book description: "Stephen Rogers Peck's Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist remains unsurpassed as a manual for students. It includes sections on bones, muscles, surface anatomy, proportion, equilibrium, and locomotion. Other unique features are sections on the types of human physique, anatomy from birth to old age, an orientation on racial anatomy, and an analysis of facial expressions. The wealth of information offered by the Atlas ensures its place as a classic for the study of the human form. "
My opinion: this was the favorite anatomy book of every teacher I've ever had (except one). It's a pretty fantastic book and it has the advantage of being relatively cheap. I'd say if you can only get one anatomy book, this is a good one to buy.

Figure Drawing for All it's Worth - RIGHT-CLICK and SAVE AS. This is a PDF of a book that is in the public domain.
Book description: "The illustrator Andrew Loomis (1892-1959) is revered among artists - including comics superstar Alex Ross - for his mastery of figure drawing and clean, Realist style. "
My opinion: I learned from this guy, and I can vouch for this book. It's a little old-fashioned, but still excellent. You can actually purchase an updated copy of it now, too.

Constructive Anatomy - sample page
Book description: "Holy s**t"
My opinion: Bridgman is a God, buy all his books and build him an altar.

Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life - sample page and another
Book description: See above
My opinion: See above

Related web sites, resources and reference:
Artsy Poses
Figure & Gesture drawing tool
Save Loomis
360 degree 3D female face reference

Composition (includes perspective, value and color)
Perspective Made Easy - sample page
Book description: "This concise book contains all you'll ever need to know about perspective drawing. In twenty masterfully organized chapters, from simple to complex, the author explains the basics and not-so-basics of perspective drawing. He includes suggestions on how to make your drawings a lot simpler, drawing methods for observation and space division, a "Remember" section at the end of each chapter in which he summarizes the most important information and principles presented in that chapter, and a "Problems" section with exercises that will help you apply what you just learned. This great book, devoted entirely to clarifying the laws of perspective, has over 250 simple line drawings, includes 256 illustrations, and leads the reader through every important concept."
My opinion: I learned almost everything that I know about perspective from this book. It's really easy to understand.

Perspective! for Comic Book Artists - sample page
Book description: "This clever book teaches artists the unique skill of drawing perspective for spectacular landscapes, fantastic interiors, and other wildly animated backgrounds to fit comic-strip panels."
My opinion: This is a neat little book and I found it pretty helpful.

Extreme Perspective! For Artists - sample page unavailable
Book description: "In this sequel to the classic bestseller Perspective! For the Comic Book Artist, David Chelsea takes perspective to a whole other level—by exploring the most dramatic viewpoints employed by today’s artists. Many of these techniques have been carefully guarded secrets for centuries. But David, and his hollow-headed friend, Mugg, make them accessible to a new generation of artists, cartoonists, illustrators, and animators. In Extreme Perspective! For Artists, you’ll learn how to

• Render complicated multi-sided objects in perfect perspective
• Create accurate shadows and reflections from your own imagination
• Master the most difficult kinds of curvilinear perspective systems
• Draw eye-popping images in fisheye perspective
• Use your computer to create elaborate scenes quicker and more easily
• … And much, much more!

Also included is a comprehensive library of perspective grids on DVD, suitable for printing or using with Photoshop and other applications."
My opinion: I don't own this book so I have no opinion on it. It was highly recommended by a friend who Knows His s**t, though, and the author is very good.

Related links
Perspective and composition part 1 and part 2
Notes on composition by Mark Kennedy, a storyboard artist at Disney (his entire blog is incredible, actually)

Notes on illustration
Frank Stockton's notes on his process and other things. Very cool.

Painting/coloring techniques (currently under construction, please help me out here, send me some links!)

Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist - plenty of page samples on Amazon
Book description: "An award-winning fantasy artist and the creator of Dinotopia, James Gurney instructs and inspires in Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist. Renowned for his uncanny ability to incorporate amazing detail and imagination into stunningly realistic fantasy settings, James Gurney teaches budding artists and fans of fantasy art step-by-step the techniques that won him worldwide critical acclaim. This groundbreaking work examines the practical methods for creating believable pictures of imaginary subjects, such as dinosaurs, ancient Romans, alien creatures, and distant worlds.

Beginning with a survey of imaginative paintings from the Renaissance to the golden Age of American illustration, the book then goes on to explain not just techniques like sketching and composition, but also the fundamentals of believable world building including archaeology, architecture, anatomy for creatures and aliens, and fantastic engineering. It concludes with details and valuable advice on careers in fantasy illustration, including video game and film concept art and toy design.

More than an instruction book, this is the ultimate reference for fans of science fiction and fantasy illustration."
My opinion: This book is absolutely amazing and a must read for anyone who is interested in painting without reference.

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter - sample page
Book description: "James Gurney, New York Times best-selling author and artist of the Dinotopia series, follows Imaginative Realism with his second art-instruction book, Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter. A researched study on two of art's most fundamental themes, Color and Light bridges the gap between abstract theory and practical knowledge. Beginning with a survey of underappreciated masters who perfected the use of color and light, the book examines how light reveals form, the properties of color and pigments, and the wide variety of atmospheric effects. Gurney cuts though the confusing and contradictory dogma about color, testing it in the light of science and observation. A glossary, pigment index, and bibliography complete what will ultimately become an indispensible tool for any artist."
My opinion: Okay yeah buy this book.

Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting - sample page
Book description: N/A
My opinion: Okay, this is probably the most helpful book on painting I have ever read. Written by one of the best contemporary painters in the United States, it contains a wealth of information about his process as well as tremendous amount of very helpful tips. This is most definitely not a book for beginners -- don't buy this if you don't know how to paint.

Links for digital artists
ctrl + Paint is probably the best place to learn how to paint on the computer.
Gnomon workshops -- overall I'd say that these are pretty meh, but I think I must be missing something because everyone I know swears by them. There's a huge amount of stuff here from character design to 3D modeling to both traditional and digital painting.

Still to come:
Art history & theory (don't skip these -- they're important too!)
Reserving this one post for notes and things. Feel free to post below.

Aged Codger

Subscribing! But if need be I can edit my post to put in anything extra you may need.
            Subscribing and adding this to my list of art threads as soon as I remember what's my stupid main's stupid pass.

Anyway. ctrlpaint.com is a site I keep suggesting to everyone. It has a ton of more or less helpful videos covering a wide range of subjects. Most of the subjects it covers is CG-related, but there's a good chunk of general info as well.

Aged Codger

I found this neat thing yesterday. It's only a woman's expressions, but still very useful.

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
Those all look like great books...*writes them down* Now, hopefully my town's shitty library shall have one or two of them. xd
Annie Felis
I found this neat thing yesterday. It's only a woman's expressions, but still very useful.

This is fantastic, thank you.

Arvehz
            Subscribing and adding this to my list of art threads as soon as I remember what's my stupid main's stupid pass.

Anyway. ctrlpaint.com is a site I keep suggesting to everyone. It has a ton of more or less helpful videos covering a wide range of subjects. Most of the subjects it covers is CG-related, but there's a good chunk of general info as well.

Thanks for reminding me of ctrlpaint, it's awesome. I'll add it to the list of links for coloring/painting techniques when I compile it.

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Subscribing.
Bump for new stuff

Please help me out, guys. I need more links to free stuff like (good) tutorials, etc.
So, no one has any links to help me out?

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

I'll keep an eye out for anything you can add ; )

Rainbow Werewolf

I know you hate DA but I found these helpful. I think this may be a good link for pixel artists. Link

-skims links- I don't think this one is on there ether.

Navate's skin tutorial

I don't think, off the top of my head, that I know of any others that would fit well.
I'm not entirely sure if this would be considered inadequate link, but I personally find this helpful in composition. I think that knowing what to avoid when drawing is pretty important. That blog post links to EmptyEasel which I have never used, but also seems to have some useful topics.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
As anyone else ever read through Loomis' Creative Illustration?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff