Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Hunter

7,200 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
DarylofATG
Well, if you think about it, one of the main reasons we have comic relief characters is to make the drama more intense, sort of like using a contrast. It's pretty standard in dramatic writing. Although of course, it can be overdone.

Some good points are being made here though. Always remember that the idea of humor is different for every culture! What's funny for people in Japan might not be funny for people in, say, the UK or Europe or the US! 4laugh

Good explanation. I wholly agree.
I love comic relief characters, most of the time. I'm not into total drama stuff. I'd rather have a few jokes here and again. I think a lot of people don't like them because they're seen as not having as much depth as serious characters. but to me, being able to go through (insert backstory here) and keep laughing and telling jokes shows a real depth of character

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I was wondering that too. Then again, I'm one of those people who like the running jokes that most anime series do (such as Taishi's adamant speeches in Comic Party)

Alien Invader

I guess it depends on the anime series, but maybe sometimes it's because comic relief characters can be pretty one dimensional. Even when they get a story arc sometimes it's kinda meh. I saw you give Mako as an example and I think that kind of manic character just doesn't appeal to some people in a way that makes them very very vocal about it. haha

Wheezing Phantom

15,125 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
The Fullmetal Narcissist

Attack on Titan, I ******** loathed Sasha. I couldn't stand her. Here I was watching this dramatic, compelling series, and out of nowhere comes this goofy girl stealing a potato and becoming the show's butt-monkey. I wanted her to get her head bitten off by a Titan so bad, but apparently the editor of the series convinced the writer to keep her around, she was spared. So far at least.

But my second watch through, since I already knew what was going to happen, and the first few episodes didn't have my heart thudding in my chest, I actually enjoyed her presence. So you never know, maybe that comic relief character who wrecked your serious drama will, eventually, win your heart.
sasha didnt feel like a comic relief chara to me, in the series they were talking about famine because wall maria was destroyed and so on and here comes a girl that just show some nerve stealing/eating food during the very first roll-call, I was like : wow she got ball to do that XD
I wonder more about connie's survival

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Depends on the character, but I find it boils down to:

a. Disrupting the mood of an otherwise serious story
b. Having very little or no character depth
c. Adding nothing to the story but cheap, humorous gags that sometimes feel downright forced

Generally, I detest a character if they could be removed from the story entirely and nothing would be lost. This is often the case with comic relief characters, but not always. Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender is an example of comic relief done right, because he was a dynamic and relevant character who, while funny, still filled an important role in the team. On the other hand, you have characters like the previously mentioned Sasha from Attack on Titan, who are just there for the audience to laugh at and could be removed entirely with no penalty to the story.

Wealthy Alchemist

i think it depends on the comic relief character. do they take away from the story? or are they just plain not funny like they are suppose to be? also is the character likable? or only there just for the shake of the comic relief?
i can't really think of any examples that i dislike right now since usually when there's a comic relief character i don't like, i tend to ignore them, usually because they aren't memorable.
I don't hate on them. It just depends if the character is well thought out, the humor is understandable, does it detract from the story. Besides that I enjoy the comic relief characters, if worst comes to worse they are usually the first ones you wish would just die.

Tipsy Entrepreneur

In my experience, sometimes the comic relief characters are just weird perverts or they say things that make the girls in the series visibly uncomfortable??

I get that the base of most humor comes at the expense of someone else, but there are just some lines that don't need to be crossed. A girl's bodily safety and discretion is not a joke.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff